Here's the new Commodore, with a side of Chevy SS...

This is very nice. Has the upscale exterior styling VW is known for. Hopefully the US will get something similar enough...nahhhh who am I kidding?

Since the Chevy SS is more sports sedan than luxury, I assume there will be a lot more gray and black trim...

The rear end design resembles the Malibu quite a bit but w/ better taillight integration...

not super jazzed on the exterior at first, but looking a bit more it is some nice changes. did a lot with what i am sure was not a lot of $$$$ to work with. Not a knockout, but definitely nice.

Interior is actually what i am more impressed with. You can clearly see how they tried to evolve the theme inside to have some things in common with the current chevy's.... the door panels, the center stack. seats look nice. I am sure the new dashtop and gauges are just plunked down on top of the old lower dash which is why it looks sort of disjointed but it's all good. To be honest this is better than i expected.

kudos..... now let's see the SS....all the old G8 fans should be happy as pigs in slop.

Window switches on the door where they are intended to be.

Fairly obvious how those rear taillights will be twin taillights on the SS like the Malibu....

Edited by regfootball

I do tend to think the new VF Commodore is a handsome sedan, although it isn't a knock out by any means. It's also unfortunate that I do get a minute and rather strange Acura RL-esque vibe from how the Calais model's front fascia interacts with the rest of the design. The SS model won't have that issue, but regardless I think it needs to be said.

I'm with Camino in actually preferring the styling of the VE Commodore over this, although I still wouldn't kick one out of my driveway.

Edited by black-knight

Where before it was just lego blocks to be as generic as possible for multiple rebrands, now that it will be only Chevrolet and Holden, they can make it straddle just two, and give it more style that will be believable for either.

That was my problem with the G8 and the GTO before it (a little bit different story on the GTO though, less offensive), as a Pontiac, it was not believable, it was just too straight-lined.

With the shape of the tail lights and grill, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this end up in the EU as well under an Opel badge.

Well, a revised version of the Caprice may continue to be sold as a Buick Park Avenue in China, so that probably explains why certain elements of the design would also translate well to a new Opel.

Edited by black-knight

Cannot wait to see the rest of the variants. I wonder if the Ute will have a different rear end, or just a new face. I wish the Ute had a longer door, but I understand why it doesn't... it is a real utility vehicle in its homeland, and a longer bed v. overall lemf was a priority.

Edited by ocnblu

Cannot wait to see the rest of the variants. I wonder if the Ute will have a different rear end, or just a new face. I wish the Ute had a longer door, but I understand why it doesn't... it is a real utility vehicle in its homeland, and a longer bed v. overall lemf was a priority.

Actually, that's not the reason.

It was an economic decision - far cheaper to use the sedan door.

I think i'd even reject it in Ute form.

The Ute won't use the Calais' front clip, which is honestly the worst looking and busiest front clip out of the bunch. The VF will look better in SS trim, and it's likely the Ute will use a variation of the clip seen on the SS models.

I'm with you in preferring the overall more consistant and crisper lines of the old VE and VEII models, but Holden is honestly showing the new Commodore in it's ugliest trim right now. Give it a little time.

Edited by black-knight

I just love how it sits down on its wheels in this gallery.

Graphics on Moltie's front end look NASCAR-y... stickers?

I assume it's a PS illustration. Same grille theme as the NASCAR SS...

vf-commodore_600a-620x414.jpg

It's too bad Holden doesn't do coupes anymore...a new Monaro (and Monte Carlo for the US) based on the VF would be nice to see...

I guess I find the styling so offensive because, if I only look at the side and not the nose or tail, I can see the attractive car this used to be.

If I had never seen the VE, I would just find this new car to be boring and unoriginal.

But I did see the VE, fell in love with it in Ute and wagon form, expected to have one of my own, and now see this watered-down bit of mess held up as a replacement.

That makes the VF even uglier to me than it might otherwise have been.

They remind me of a Subaru Legacy. But, on balance, I think it's better than previous.

The headlights?

They are the worst bit of all.

Is it just me? I see this in Buick dealerships more than Chevy..

Not just you; but since GM has already stated the VF will go to Chevrolet, and also the fact that this as a Buick would step on Cadillac's toes... Not going to happen: you in the US will get a version of the SS or SS-V and that's it.

The problem with designing it to fit multiple brands is it doesn't look like it came from any one brand. It is just too generic looking. Does look a bit more Buick than Chevy though, it doesn't have an American looking design, it looks like a blend of Opel and Asian.

The problem with designing it to fit multiple brands is it doesn't look like it came from any one brand. It is just too generic looking. Does look a bit more Buick than Chevy though, it doesn't have an American looking design, it looks like a blend of Opel and Asian.

There's a reason for that, I'm sure. :P