New York Auto Show: This Is The 2014 Jeep Cherokee: Comments

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 22, 2013

Automakers do their best to keep a new vehicle under wraps until the time comes when they can show it off to everyone on their terms. Any spy shot and leak could disrupt their plans.

For example, Jalopnik this morning reportedly had the shots and the name of the 2014 Jeep replacement for the Liberty, the Cherokee. The shots taken in a factory were somewhat blurry but gave us a look of what was supposedly the new unique shape of the Cherokee. Well Jeep has gone ahead and released some pictures and confirmed the name of Cherokee tonight.

There are only a handful shots released and all show the new nose with its crimped nose and split headlights, and polarizing profile of the new Cherokee. Jeep also announced the new Cherokee would premiere at New York Auto Show in March and go on sale in the third-quarter.

Other than those pieces of information, the rest is unknown. We've been hearing the new Cherokee is based on Fiat's CUSW platform, use a 3.2L V6 and a four-cylinder, and will come with the choice of front or all-wheel drive.

We'll have more information on the Cherokee when it makes its debut at the New York later in March. In the meantime, what are you thoughts on the new Cherokee.

Source: Chrysler

2014 Jeep Cherokee 4
Album: 2014 Jeep Cherokee
4 images
0 comments

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected]or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Auburn Hills, Mich. - Jeep® Cherokee. The name is instantly recognizable as the most capable and versatile mid-size SUV in the world. For 2014, Jeep brings the Cherokee name back to North America with the debut of its all-new mid-size sport-utility vehicle.

Set to debut at the New York International Auto Show in March, the all-new, "no-compromise" 2014 Jeep Cherokee sets a new standard with even more best-in-class capability, exemplary on-road driving dynamics, and fuel economy improvements of more than 45 percent versus the outgoing mid-size SUV model.

The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee will be built in the United States at Chrysler Group's Toledo Assembly Plant in Toledo, Ohio, and will arrive in dealer showrooms in the third quarter of this year.

View full article

And the bastardization begins.

Cherokee name is surprising too.

I don't get the contemporary house things as a background. Pretty lame, I don't think people who read 'Dwell' are Jeepers.

I think they are going after the Evoque at a lower price point... what's weird is the juxtaposition w/ the Cherokee name, which has a history of being non-trendy and serious w/ off road skills..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

It looks better than the production line shots, but I will have to see it in real life...the headlights don't bother me too much, but the pointy noise and what they did with the kink in the grille is upsetting...I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but I hope it really is trail rated, and deserving of the badge.

Polarizing as a Love Hate relationship would be and just could end up being a smash hit.

I asked my son who bought a 2012 Liberty and he said he would pass as it does not have the traditional Jeep look that he loves and why he got the Liberty, yet his girl friend said she loves it and always thought Alex's Liberty was old looking.

Again, this is the Y generation, both 25 years old, so I think they will be successful but to the youth martket more than the older market.

maybe they will need their own launch party!!

0907_01_z+pontiac_aztek+front_three_quar

i wonder if it will have more than 185hp!! they would need a new sign!!!!

I bet the 4-cylinder version has even less than 185 hp, but maybe it will make 185 and they can keep the sign and get Sam and Kate to do the commercials.

Mr. dfelt, what happened to the black Patriot?

My Bad, he still has the Black Patriot, I always get it mixed up with the Liberty as his is the Patriot Latitude edition. Always get confused with them having the Compass/Patriot twins and I see in their advertising here this morning that they are having the compass start 4 grand more than the Patriot. Seems they are pushing the compass as a higher level CUV.

My daughter who is 29 told me last night in looking over the Jeep Cherokee that she finds it totally ugly and her friends she showed it to all agreed. One of her male friends said it does not have the Mojo of the Original Cherokee and he would rather have the current Liberty over this monster.