Toyota Recalls Camry

El Scorcho

You heard it here first, now here's comfirmation of the new Camry's transmission troubles:

Credit: TCC

Toyota Recalling Camry

The newest edition of the Toyota Camry is being recalled for a problem with the transmission. The problem, Toyota says, involved only a half-percent of Camrys built thus far for the 2007 model year. The new six-speed automatic transmission could lose second and sixth gear during operation. Toyota told Reuters the vehicle still will operate even if the gears are lost, and that the problem usually happens within the first 500 miles of use.

.5 %....or so they say.

some people like to play the skeletons in the closet game when it concerns gm cars and trucks because they have ammo from many many more cars and sales.

now chinks in the mighty toyota armor seem to be showing up a little bit(so to speak). how many cars is it really? we may never know.

i could really care less, hey welcome to the club.

its like ordering chinese food and they tell you five-10 minutes.

A half of a percent isn't exactly a massive number especially considering they only recently went on sale but this is a notable black mark nonetheless.

It's a half of a percent of vehicles BUILT, not sold. Who knows how many they have already made.

It's a half of a percent of vehicles BUILT, not sold.  Who knows how many they have already made.

Even if they've made 200,000 Camries, 0.5% is still only 1,000. So this is nothing serious, only slightly embarrassing.

Toyota will spin this anyway they can, be rest assured it's more than "half of a percent" It's more spin on their part to see who buys into it.

If the transmissions were all bult the same way (which I'm assuming) than logically you'd think that any of the new Camrys up until this point could potentially have a transmission failure.

No.

The four-cylinder Camrys come with either a 5-speed auto or manual. Only the V6s have the 6-speed autos. And as V6s always sell notably less than the four-bangers, again, this isn't really a full-blown issue.

No.

The four-cylinder Camrys come with either a 5-speed auto or manual. Only the V6s have the 6-speed autos. And as V6s always sell notably less than the four-bangers, again, this isn't really a full-blown issue.

Good point, but then that means any V6 Camry could have the problem. Somehow I think more than .5 percent of Camrys are V6.

Even though it only affects a small number of low-selling (compared to the I4s) V6 models, it is still a black eye and a major embarrassment. Toyota management is delusional if it believes it can keep rapidly expanding without having major problems such as this. Bring the expansion plans off of a boil and get everything settled.

The good thing is that this is a small recall and will not receive much press.

Even though it only affects a small number of low-selling (compared to the I4s) V6 models, it is still a black eye and a major embarrassment.  Toyota management is delusional if it believes it can keep rapidly expanding without having major problems such as this.  Bring the expansion plans off of a boil and get everything settled.

No, let them continue full speed ahead this is getting interesting.

the black car will be coming to get you soon.  watch out.

Will it be an Avalon or a LS Snore-hundred? :scratchchin:

Will it be an Avalon or a LS Snore-hundred?  :scratchchin:

While I wouldn't argue the point that Toyota's are generally bland-mobiles...what GM product in a mainstream segment is exciting?? The Impala ('cause when you see one behind you, you think its an undercover cop?)? The GP ('cause its been rented by tourists that can't drive/)?

I mean, I understand its a well-deserved criticism, but what has GM done to capitalize on the perception that its most deadly competitor makes bland product?

personally, I find it discouraging that they've barely tried....I would think people at a GM enthusiasts site would feel the same. (& please don't gimme SS or GXP crap-- those aren't in the same league as the LX triplets or a cut-rate 3 series competitor that should be here....hell, the Fusion has more of a claim than any of GM's current offerings)

While I wouldn't argue the point that Toyota's are generally bland-mobiles...what GM product in a mainstream segment is exciting?? The Impala ('cause when you see one behind you, you think its an undercover cop?)? The GP ('cause its been rented by tourists that can't drive/)?

I mean, I understand its a well-deserved criticism, but what has GM done to capitalize on the perception that its most deadly competitor makes bland product?

personally, I find it discouraging that they've barely tried....I would think people at a GM enthusiasts site would feel the same. (& please don't gimme SS or GXP crap-- those aren't in the same league as the LX triplets or a cut-rate 3 series competitor that should be here....hell, the Fusion has more of a claim than any of GM's current offerings)

:hijacked: Let's try to stay on the subject of Toyota Transmissions

How is that good? What, it's ok for GM and the other domestics to get slammed everytime they have recalls but not Perfect Toyota? That's BS and you know it.

It is a good aspect of ANY recall if it is small, involves a new car that is barely on the market, called right away and receives little press.

I heard the ES production was delayed to deal with the problem and/or all ES's on dealer lots were fixed before customers took delivery.

:hijacked:  Let's try to stay on the subject of Toyota Transmissions

I didn't change the subject, it was altered by the previous post! (and the one before that)....

Ooops...if it was Pro-GM, it would have been fine. I forgot.

Can't come up with an answer though, huh?

.5% or 50%, to me it doesn't matter-a recall is a recall. I mean, since the Camry is Toyota's claim to fame for being built on a "pedestal of reliability and quality" (quoted from a Camry add in a magazine), won't this do something to sour its reputation?

I wonder if this will be in the news...

All defective 6spd's were built in Kentucky.

I can hear the press now... "The only reason Toyota even received this mild recall is because the transmission was built by Americans... who formerly worked for a GM plant nearby that was shut down. GM is currently heading towards bankruptcy for its bland products and ancient 4-speed autos with OHV style engines. GM is looking to revive it's company with new product, but their product continues to fail to live up to the quality of its Japanese rivals. GM is doomed. GM sucks. GM's 6-speed auto will surely flounder more."

:lol:

.5% or 50%, to me it doesn't matter-a recall is a recall. I mean, since the Camry is Toyota's claim to fame for being built on a "pedestal of reliability and quality" (quoted from a Camry add in a magazine), won't this do something to sour its reputation?

I wonder if this will be in the news...

It's news folks! It's gotten press, although I can't imagine .5% of the total production so far being more than 1,000 vehicles?

That pales in comparison to some recent recalls that have hit the millions! ahem. (That's part of why it may not get much play....although contenting ourselves with it being the media's fault is obviously easier for many on this site to accept. GM's on the ropes and the media loves a story of an icon failing....from actors to politicians to companies, America loves scandal and outrage!)

I didn't change the subject, it was altered by the previous post! (and the one before that)....

Ooops...if it was Pro-GM, it would have been fine. I forgot.

Can't come up with an answer though, huh?

Maybe 68 will PM you his answer... I don't read minds.

Thank you for staying on topic.

I've read on WSJ's web site that this recall only affects about 160 cars.

I checked NHTSA.gov for their recall info... I could only find 1 recall listed for the 2007 Camry... It's on Airbags... Hopefully they'll have the info up soon on the Transmission.

Recalls Summary

Make / Models :           Model/Build Years:     

LEXUS / GS       2006

LEXUS / IS       2006

LEXUS / LS       2004-2006

TOYOTA / AVALON       2005-2006

TOYOTA / CAMRY       2007

TOYOTA / PRIUS       2004-2006

TOYOTA / RAV4       2005

TOYOTA / SCION TC       2005-2006

TOYOTA / TACOMA       2005-2006

Type:  PASSENGER CAR 

Recall Number:  06V096000 

Summary:  

ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, DUE TO IMPROPER ASSEMBLY OF THE AIR BAG INFLATOR, WHICH IS USED IN THE SIDE AIR BAG, THE CURTAIN SHIELD AIR BAG, AND THE KNEE AIR BAG ASSEMBLY, SOME INFLATORS WERE PRODUCED WITH AN INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF THE HEATING AGENTS NECESSARY FOR PROPER AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT. IN THIS CONDITION, THE EXPANSION FORCE OF THE GAS MAY BE INSUFFICIENT TO PROPERLY INFLATE THE AIR BAG WHEN THE SRS SYSTEM IS ACTIVATED DURING A CRASH. 

Consequence:  

THIS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF INJURY TO THE OCCUPANT IN THE INVOLVED SEATING POSITION IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH. 

Remedy:  

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SPECIFIC SRS AIR BAG. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-888-270-9371, SCION AT 1-866-548-1851, OR LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987. 

Notes:  

TOYOTA RECALL NO. 60B AND LEXUS RECALL NO. 6LB. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

That's because the NHTSA didn't issue the recall. Toyota did voluntarily.

They should eventually have the details about it, correct?

Voluntary or not, don't they have to officially notify the NHTSA of the recall?

Edited by VenSeattle

They should eventually have the details about it, correct?

Voluntary or not, don't they have to officially notify the NHTSA of the recall?

Well, GM had issued a voluntary recall of the Saturn VUE back in 2004 related to the rear suspenion. That recall doesn't show up on the NHTSA's web site, either.

Toyota is online to answer customers who have problems with this 6-speed transmission at Edmunds:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/.ee90ff2

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0c20c4/24

This is a customer service practice that GM should adopt immediately. This drastically increases customer satisfaction, and halts any inaccuracies in the internet rumor mill by issuing company statements.

Internet based customer service is how companies like Dell are rated so high on customer satisfaction, because the company is responsive and easy to contact.

Malibu SS

Aura

GMT 900s - Avalanche especially

CTS

The thing about main stream vehicles is... they're usually bland anyway.

Seriously... how many main stream vehicles can be considered exciting? A few Mazdas and Chryslers. The Fusion is only exciting because it's not a Tempo.

rumor mill by issuing company statements.

Internet based customer service is how companies like Dell are rated so high on customer satisfaction, because the company is responsive and easy to contact.

its a good idea in theory but dell just got downrated to a "sell" by some analysts...whatever that means.

familiarity breed contempt...is that apt? im not sure.

but what i do know is that the camry is only a couple of months old. theres no way the infected supply is a mere 150 odd cars.

the truth is that most havent been sold, are sitting on the lots and are being fixed off the books, so to speak.

i cant imagine the problem so limited....although, problem batches do appear and is the price of mass production.

the question then is this a technology issue or a human element of production.

this should become more clear if more problems pop up past the "first five hunded" miles...

(but of course...you can still drive the car. nevermind the horrensous sounds and jerkiness...its not really a problem that requires a recall)

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Blah Blah Blah. Its all more scapegoats from Toyota. It was "half of a percent" of vehicles. Get real. You dont produce "half a percent of vehicles" then realize there is a probem.

My favorite delusional line from the autoblog posters:

The historical GM approach would have been to deny the problem until the Government forced a recall.

Right...how about all those "special service campaigns" with Toyota...or the well documented sludge problem. Even better...my favorite...when Toyota does recall a vehicle they are always the first to point the finger...saying its a supplier problem or blaming it on those lazy incompetent american workers.

Sure GM has eyesores like the head gaskets...but at least they actually own up to the defect when they recall it.