El Scorcho

Toyota Recalls Camry

96 posts in this topic

You heard it here first, now here's comfirmation of the new Camry's transmission troubles:

Credit: TCC

Toyota Recalling Camry

The newest edition of the Toyota Camry is being recalled for a problem with the transmission. The problem, Toyota says, involved only a half-percent of Camrys built thus far for the 2007 model year. The new six-speed automatic transmission could lose second and sixth gear during operation. Toyota told Reuters the vehicle still will operate even if the gears are lost, and that the problem usually happens within the first 500 miles of use.

About time they recalled it. Where's that unbeatable Quality now?

Maybe this will serve as an eye opener to all the peopel who think Toyotas are perfect, that every carmaker has problems.

Edited by Dodgefan

A half of a percent isn't exactly a massive number especially considering they only recently went on sale but this is a notable black mark nonetheless.

.5 %....or so they say.

some people like to play the skeletons in the closet game when it concerns gm cars and trucks because they have ammo from many many more cars and sales.

now chinks in the mighty toyota armor seem to be showing up a little bit(so to speak). how many cars is it really? we may never know.

i could really care less, hey welcome to the club.

its like ordering chinese food and they tell you five-10 minutes.

A half of a percent isn't exactly a massive number especially considering they only recently went on sale but this is a notable black mark nonetheless.

It's a half of a percent of vehicles BUILT, not sold. Who knows how many they have already made.

It's a half of a percent of vehicles BUILT, not sold.  Who knows how many they have already made.

Even if they've made 200,000 Camries, 0.5% is still only 1,000. So this is nothing serious, only slightly embarrassing.

Guest Josh

Toyota will spin this anyway they can, be rest assured it's more than "half of a percent" It's more spin on their part to see who buys into it.

Even if they've made 200,000 Camries, 0.5% is still only 1,000. So this is nothing serious, only slightly embarrassing.

so thats 1000 people that probably wont purchase another toyota... :pbjtime:

If the transmissions were all bult the same way (which I'm assuming) than logically you'd think that any of the new Camrys up until this point could potentially have a transmission failure.

If the transmissions were all bult the same way (which I'm assuming) than logically you'd think that any of the new Camrys up until this point could potentially have a transmission failure.

No.

The four-cylinder Camrys come with either a 5-speed auto or manual. Only the V6s have the 6-speed autos. And as V6s always sell notably less than the four-bangers, again, this isn't really a full-blown issue.

One question that comes to mind is whether this is the same transmission used in the Avalon (assuming it's a 6-speed, I'm not sure), and if so, why this is the first problem popping up.

No.

The four-cylinder Camrys come with either a 5-speed auto or manual. Only the V6s have the 6-speed autos. And as V6s always sell notably less than the four-bangers, again, this isn't really a full-blown issue.

Good point, but then that means any V6 Camry could have the problem. Somehow I think more than .5 percent of Camrys are V6.

One question that comes to mind is whether this is the same transmission used in the Avalon (assuming it's a 6-speed, I'm not sure), and if so, why this is the first problem popping up.

The Avalon uses a 5-speed unit.

Even though it only affects a small number of low-selling (compared to the I4s) V6 models, it is still a black eye and a major embarrassment. Toyota management is delusional if it believes it can keep rapidly expanding without having major problems such as this. Bring the expansion plans off of a boil and get everything settled.

The good thing is that this is a small recall and will not receive much press.

Even though it only affects a small number of low-selling (compared to the I4s) V6 models, it is still a black eye and a major embarrassment.  Toyota management is delusional if it believes it can keep rapidly expanding without having major problems such as this.  Bring the expansion plans off of a boil and get everything settled.

No, let them continue full speed ahead this is getting interesting.

The good thing is that this is a small recall and will not receive much press.

How is that good? What, it's ok for GM and the other domestics to get slammed everytime they have recalls but not Perfect Toyota? That's BS and you know it.

the black car will be coming to get you soon.  watch out.

Will it be an Avalon or a LS Snore-hundred? :scratchchin:

Will it be an Avalon or a LS Snore-hundred?  :scratchchin:

While I wouldn't argue the point that Toyota's are generally bland-mobiles...what GM product in a mainstream segment is exciting?? The Impala ('cause when you see one behind you, you think its an undercover cop?)? The GP ('cause its been rented by tourists that can't drive/)?

I mean, I understand its a well-deserved criticism, but what has GM done to capitalize on the perception that its most deadly competitor makes bland product?

personally, I find it discouraging that they've barely tried....I would think people at a GM enthusiasts site would feel the same. (& please don't gimme SS or GXP crap-- those aren't in the same league as the LX triplets or a cut-rate 3 series competitor that should be here....hell, the Fusion has more of a claim than any of GM's current offerings)

While I wouldn't argue the point that Toyota's are generally bland-mobiles...what GM product in a mainstream segment is exciting?? The Impala ('cause when you see one behind you, you think its an undercover cop?)? The GP ('cause its been rented by tourists that can't drive/)?

I mean, I understand its a well-deserved criticism, but what has GM done to capitalize on the perception that its most deadly competitor makes bland product?

personally, I find it discouraging that they've barely tried....I would think people at a GM enthusiasts site would feel the same. (& please don't gimme SS or GXP crap-- those aren't in the same league as the LX triplets or a cut-rate 3 series competitor that should be here....hell, the Fusion has more of a claim than any of GM's current offerings)

:hijacked: Let's try to stay on the subject of Toyota Transmissions

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.