Saw a new Camry Commercial

Quoted froma new Camry commercial

"When does the best selling car in America become the best car for America? The first ever Toyota Camry Hybrid. It's time to move forward."

If that's not aggrogance I don't know what is. <_<

Edited by Dodgefan

I saw the stupidest Camry commercial in Canada. It starts out with two villages hating each other, Want and Need. The people aren't supposed to walk away but a guy leaves Want and a women leaves Need. They meet up in the middle of a forest. Then, the towns blame each other for the people being lost so they come to a road and are ready to kill each other and the new Camry drives through with the guy and the women inside. Then the saying comes on, it was something like, "What you WANT is what you NEED. The new Camry."

i saw that 'arrogant' camry commercial.  i was too repulsed to even want to say anything but you know there are millions out there who buy into that marketing crap.

Yep...we call those people "idiots"

Quoted froma new Camry commercial

"When does the best car in America become the best car for America? The first ever Toyota Camry Hybrid. It's time to move forward."

If that's not aggrogance I don't know what is.  <_<

It's... good marketing?

when i see that commerciali just scoff at how they sure don't say anything real about the car, it's all conjectured "fact". it's a commercial trying to be trendy while anyone that actually knows about this stuff is probably says to themselves... "So, we'll see when the first commercials of gm hybrids show up and how they better make some bitchin commercials for the '08s :wink: "

I've seen 2 camrys so far...and they dont even stand out in the crowd...and I HATE tha commercial

I've already seen some 10 2007 Camrys here already... lots of silvers and dark metallic grays, one light pastel green.

I don't like the car, but a lot of people sure do.

FYI, they say: "When does the best-selling car in America..."

ah, I was wondering about that, thanks for clearing it up

I've seen 2 so far as well. A silver one a few weeks ago and a red one today. They really don't stand out that much.

Edited by Dodgefan

I've already seen some 10 2007 Camrys here already... lots of silvers and dark metallic grays, one light pastel green.

I don't like the car, but a lot of people sure do.

You know what bothers me even more..They don't cevenlook classy...or sporty..and yet people constantly drill GM for rebadges etc...The AURA is classy while its cousin, the G6 is sporty...the camry is...nothing.

Quote: "When does the best selling car in America become the best car for America? The first ever Toyota Camry Hybrid. It's time to move forward."

Answer: when they come up with original styling. When they come up with bigger trunks with non intrusive hinges. When they can make an automatic transmission that shifts smoothly. When they leave the Miss Piggy styling cues at home. When they get gas mileage that is stated on the window sticker. When they install door protection moldings to ward off dents which will de-value this car at trade in time. When they make an interior with better fitting panals and center console. And lastly when they make a 6 speed automatic transmission that always has it's 6 speeds available!

The new Camry. "It's time to move backward"

Quote: "When does the best selling car in America become the best car for America? The first ever Toyota Camry Hybrid. It's time to move forward."

Answer: when they come up with original styling. When they come up with bigger trunks with non intrusive hinges. When they can make an automatic transmission that shifts smoothly. When they leave the Miss Piggy styling cues at home. When they get gas mileage that is stated on the window sticker. When they install door protection moldings to ward off dents which will de-value this car at trade in time. When they make an interior with better fitting panals and center console. And lastly when they make a 6 speed automatic transmission that always has it's 6 speeds available!

LOL. You're hilarious!

:lol:

You know what bothers me even more..They don't cevenlook classy...or sporty..and yet people constantly drill GM for rebadges etc...The AURA is classy while its cousin, the G6 is sporty...the camry is...nothing.

It's like polishing a turd.

G6 and AURA might be attractive, but their bodies hide an overweight, wieldy architecture and uncompetitive powertrains.

The Camry, attractive or not, is a well EXECUTED product through-and-through.

Sheer competence lends its own sort of attractiveness to the equation......

Toyota is going to great lengths to shake the Camry's

"boring car" image. The new Camry still has a pig nose

but it IS an improvement and the ads are probably

hitting their demographic like daisy cutters in

Afghanistan. I'm kind of scared of what the new Camry

will sell like. I guess we can all hope this new bolder

Camry is too radical for most of the boring soul-less

humans who usually buy them.

The sad part is that I've already seen a ton of these

crapboxes on the road. :angry::(

It's like polishing a turd.

G6 and AURA might be attractive, but their bodies hide an overweight, wieldy architecture and uncompetitive powertrains.

The Camry, attractive or not, is a well EXECUTED product through-and-through.

Sheer competence lends its own sort of attractiveness to the equation......

The Aura has the 3.6 and a 4 cylinder, 2mode hybrid coming....what exactly is uncompetitve about that?

Sure there is also the 3.5, but there is nothing wrong with offering customers the choice of that engine.*

*Stated this way because I know your opinon on pushrod V6s. I like them, you don't. We can agree on that.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

They still make these?!?! :blink:

Posted Image

I have not laughed that hard in like a month!

The Aura has the 3.6 and a 4 cylinder, 2mode hybrid coming....what exactly is uncompetitve about that?

Sure there is also the 3.5, but there is nothing wrong with offering customers the choice of that engine.*

*Stated this way because I know your opinon on pushrod V6s. I like them, you don't. We can agree on that.

The Aura's "hybrid" system is going to be similar to the VUE's BAS, not the GMT900's 2-mode.

What we can ALSO agree on, is that the general car-buying public, especially those with more than a casual attraction to imports, have the opinion that pushrod engines like the 3.5L are old-tech and uncompetitive.

Once AGAIN......GM is trying to change a major perception problem with their products....so why WOULD you offer the customer a choice of an "uncompetitive" drivetrain such as a pushrod V6 and 4-speed automatic in a car such as the AURA?

Those customers may be biased by the media, or drinking import-kool-aid, or whatever else you want to label them as.....but the point is, GM has to begin drawing them back into the showrooms....they can't survive on just appealing to GM-loyal consumers anymore....

And that leaves companies like Saturn with very little wiggle-room when it comes to product decision. Excuses don't go that far with these consumers......

Edited by The O.C.

What we can ALSO agree on, is that the general car-buying public, especially those with more than a casual attraction to imports, have the opinion that pushrod engines like the 3.5L are old-tech and uncompetitive.

Once AGAIN......GM is trying to change a major perception problem with their products....so why WOULD you offer the customer a choice of an "uncompetitive" drivetrain such as a pushrod V6 and 4-speed automatic in a car such as the AURA?

Those customers may be biased by the media, or drinking import-kool-aid, or whatever else you want to label them as.....but the point is, GM has to begin drawing them back into the showrooms....they can't survive on just appealing to GM-loyal consumers anymore....

And that leaves companies like Saturn with very little wiggle-room when it comes to product decision.  Excuses don't go that far with these consumers......

Most customers don't know a pushrod from a push broom. If a pushrod can be built well <as you yourself have attested to>, then it doesn't matter as long as the performance is there <by whatever measurement you care to use>.

and I thought the Aura was getting the 6-speed.

Most customers don't know a pushrod from a push broom. If a pushrod can be built well <as you yourself have attested to>, then it doesn't matter as long as the performance is there <by whatever measurement you care to use>.

and I thought the Aura was getting the 6-speed.

The Aura is getting the 6-speed only with the DOHC 3.6L engine on the XR (top trim line).

My question is, is it possible to build an OHV engine (that's not 8 cylinders), that runs as smoothly and quietly as an OHC engine? I mean, does OHC just naturally mean it will automatically be quieter/smoother than an OHV engine?

The Aura is getting the 6-speed only with the DOHC 3.6L engine on the XR (top trim line).

My question is, is it possible to build an OHV engine (that's not 8 cylinders), that runs as smoothly and quietly as an OHC engine?  I mean, does OHC just naturally mean it will automatically be quieter/smoother than an OHV engine?

I'm not an engineer so I can't answer that question factually......but IMHO, I've always found OHC engines to be smoother....maybe it has something to do with the mechanicals and stuff.....I don't know....

And as you get into MULTI cam and valve engines, they get correspondingly smoother, quicker to rev, and usually quieter.

Can you smoothe and quiet a pushrod engine.....yeah.....but it takes alot more work and alot more effort....

The 3.9L in the Monte Carlo I drove was pretty impressive.....for a GM pushrod V6....but ultimately, if I put it up next to the 3.6L in the LaCrosse CXS I drove also, you can STILL make a case for the 3.6L OVER the 3.9L.

To the buying public, the OHC vs. pushrod debate is a non-issue. I doubt that you could find even 5% of new car buyers that considered it as a factor in their buying decision.

There are only 5% of new car buyers the know the difference between a push rod and a push broom.

that is completely true about the debate over pushrods but the thing is this...

when a car magazine such as cr harps about unrefined pushrod motors it becomes

an issue to the casual reader. they may not know what it means, but theyll know that they dont want it because someone told them so.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/08/autoblo...efinitive-rant/

check this out if you havent seen it before now.

it is a helluva good read.