Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Edmunds: Long-term Cobalt update

pow

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=107488

April 2006

It might surprise some readers to learn that an Edmunds.com editor turned down the use of a 2005 Land Rover LR3 and instead opted to take the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT on a family trip to Yosemite National Park.

Yes, the LR3 drives magnificently and has gobs of space into which you can throw everything you could ever want to take along with you. But there is one little problem: It gets only an average of 15 miles per gallon and requires premium gasoline. The Cobalt, on the other hand, averaged 31.4 miles per gallon of regular fuel for the 672-mile trip.

Before we go into greater detail, we should answer a number of questions that are, no doubt, rising to the top of your mind. Questions like: "But wasn't it ridiculously cramped?" Or, "Wasn't it a gutless wonder?" Or even: "What if you wanted to go off-roading?"

True, when Americans go into the wilderness they want to take everything from home along with them. The other vehicles we saw at Yosemite were lugging all manner of conveniences and machinery: bikes, coolers, lawn chairs, tents, sleeping bags, video games, DVD players and on and on. It would have been impossible to take all this in the Cobalt. But Senior Consumer Advice Editor Philip Reed took what he needed for himself, his wife and their 15-year-old son.

Packing the night before, Phil was doubtful he would be able to get the growing number of bags and packs into the compact four-door. He even began to reconsider his decision to turn down the LR3. But the next morning, the trunk swallowed their three suitcases, three backpacks and an assortment of hampers, grocery bags and a cooking stove.

Driving to Yosemite from their home in Long Beach, the Reeds took turns riding in the backseat and found it acceptable. The only annoyance was the wind noise whistling through poorly installed weather stripping around the right rear door. Curious to see what kind of fuel economy could be achieved, the cruise control was set for 70 mph and they grew used to seeing assorted vehicles flying past them.

The valley floor of Yosemite is at 4,000 feet elevation so it was a long climb from Fresno to the park. The Cobalt downshifted frequently on steep grades (albeit reluctantly) but the 2.2-liter, 145-horsepower engine proved more than adequate. On steep descents, when engine braking was necessary, the automatic's gear selector was a bit inconvenient to operate; Phil said that he would have preferred a sport shift feature for quicker changes.

The real advantages of the Cobalt were its size and maneuverability. While the steering feel is a bit numb, once they got acclimated to it the twisting mountain roads became a romp. Very little body roll was detected at moderate speeds and the Cobalt felt confident and composed on a variety of terrain. Once inside the park, the small car proved easy to park and our editor allowed a degree of smugness to filter into his knowing smile as he witnessed larger vehicles contributing to the congestion of the park and increased emissions in the crystal blue skies.

Now comes the best part. Being a real tightwad, Phil created a comparison of the fuel consumption of the two vehicles, the Cobalt and the LR3. The Cobalt used 21.4 gallons of gas, costing only $66.34 at $3.10 per gallon of regular unleaded. The LR3 has been averaging 14.9 mpg and to cover that distance burning premium unleaded would have used 45.1 gallons, which at $3.30 per gallon would have cost $148.83. The Cobalt, also a much cheaper car to buy, saved 23.7 gallons of fossil fuel and $82.49 (which the Reeds happily squandered on knickknacks in the park's gift shops).

Finally, here is a list of things, both good and bad, that Phil noted after spending four days in the Cobalt.

Pros:

* The sunroof made for easy viewing of mountaintops and waterfalls.

* Steering-wheel-mounted controls were easy to use — a luxury feature.

* The sound system provided excellent quality and the CD changer was convenient.

Cons:

* The trunk opening is tight, making loading more difficult.

* Climate control knobs feel cheap and sloppy.

* No grab handles were available anywhere for passengers or driver.

* There is no pull-down handle in the trunk.

In other news, the Cobalt had an oil change and tire rotation performed at Albertson Chevrolet, in Culver City, California. We did have to wonder why it cost so much ($30 for a tire rotation and $45.72 for an oil change) but the service advisor was friendly and the work was performed quickly and efficiently.

Our Cobalt now has over 8,000 miles on it and has performed reliably and economically. In an era of rising gas prices, this vehicle might be an attractive option, even for small families.

Current Odometer: 8,323

Best Fuel Economy: 32.6 mpg

Worst Fuel Economy: 19.9 mpg

Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 25.9 mpg

Body Repair Costs: None

Maintenance Costs: $75.72

Problems: None.

Posted Image

The 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT parked in the wilds of Yosemite National Park. The little Chevy made the 700-mile round-trip averaging 31.4 miles per gallon — nearly the 32 mpg estimated by the EPA.

Plus for chevy!...Now if someone would notice the ion..which is the same!

Not really. It's been MASSIVELY improved over the years, but still feels sloppier built and the interior is cheaper. Has a lot of the newer refinements from the Cobalt, but still quite different overall.

Not really.  It's been MASSIVELY improved over the years, but still feels sloppier built and the interior is cheaper.  Has a lot of the newer refinements from the Cobalt, but still quite different overall.

don't forget that god aweful center mounted gauge cluster

The 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT parked in the wilds of Yosemite National Park. The little Chevy made the 700-mile round-trip averaging 31.4 miles per gallon — nearly the 32 mpg estimated by the EPA.

Excellent results for a car with three people riding and a trunk full of luggage. Bravo Chevrolet!

Excellent results for a car with three people riding and a trunk full of luggage. Bravo Chevrolet!

I dont know......... my 2000 Malibu V6 got 32mpg on a 1000mi trip from AZ to texas with 2 people in the car, 110lbs of subwoofers/amps, and luggage, and i kept it at 80-85mph the whole way.

Though I only got 17 around the city. I swear I dont have a heavy foot :P

This is testament that GM can build a good car when they decide to. Good, not great. The Cobalt, like almost every GM, still lacks the attention to detail it needs. Those grab handles would be a good standard addition that would cost very little to install. I really like the Cobalt. Wih just a few minor changes (and more inspiring styling) I might even love it. NAV should be an option (full-blown NAV, not just turn-by-turn). The Mazda3 offers it; and look at the recent GM corporate units...they can easily be swapped out. Would many people order it? No, but its availability would be a big positive. GM could even make it a dealer-installed option to keep the complexity down at Lordstown.

Edited by Croc

This is testament that GM can build a good car when they decide to.  Good, not great.  The Cobalt, like almost every GM, still lacks the attention to detail it needs.  Those grab handles would be a good standard addition that would cost very little to install.  I really like the Cobalt.  Wih just a few minor changes (and more inspiring styling) I might even love it.  NAV should be an option (full-blown NAV, not just turn-by-turn).  The Mazda3 offers it; and look at the recent GM corporate units...they can easily be swapped out.  Would many people order it?  No, but its availability would be a big positive.  GM could even make it a dealer-installed option to keep the complexity down at Lordstown.

This relates to one of my posts where the Caliber should have the NAV as an option, since it's got the same corporate stereo, i'd be easy to add the NAV

No, it's not.  The ION is among GM's worst.

In what way is it so terrible? I know the early models had some noises that developed, but what complaint do you have about the current one? (aside from the preference items like the center-mount gauges)

In what way is it so terrible?  I know the early models had some noises that developed, but what complaint do you have about the current one? (aside from the preference items like the center-mount gauges)

Cheap interior materials...they make the Cobat look like a Lexus. Lousy interior design, ugly steering wheel, ugly sedan. Sloppy build quality (worse than the Cobalt's).

Cheap interior materials...they make the Cobat look like a Lexus. Lousy interior design, ugly steering wheel, ugly sedan. Sloppy build quality (worse than the Cobalt's).

So, a bunch of opinions, and a build quality comment. Sure the build quality isn't a residual opinion of earlier model years? The '06's I've been in seem quite good...

So, a bunch of opinions, and a build quality comment.  Sure the build quality isn't a residual opinion of earlier model years?  The '06's I've been in seem quite good...

I actually like the quad coupe. But the combalt is still a nicer car IMO

Great to hear the Cobalt is holding up so well...quality has got to be the chief concerns among conquest buyers...this little review should defintely help.

One thing I've noticed though, is that the build quality of the Cobalt seems to be a nagging problem...I've read reviews that mention improperly installed headliners, poorly installed plastic, and now this poorly installed weatherstripping (that whistling is arguably one of my biggest pet peeves). These build issues are a quick fix problem...get on it UAW & plant managers!

All in all though, it's great to hear good things about a crucial GM product.

Their bitches seem rather petty.  I wonder what the take rate is for nav on 3 and Civic.  Probably low, it's a pretty expensive option relative to MSRP on a compact.

But at least it's offered. And since GM uses corporate units it would be as simple as letting dealers install it and adding a tick on the option sheet.

Good to see a great review for a Change, the Cobalt deserves it. :)

It "might" be a worthy consideration....

What a cop out, but TYPICAL of a BIASED journalist.

You know not everything edmunds writes is import biased. They love the 300, Charger, Magnum. They like the Fusion (except in that comparison test, which pisses me off too). They like the Cobalt, but it's not perfect. Such as the improperly installed weather stripping. They don't love all imports either. They still don't like the Yaris. So yeah. Just making a point.

You know not everything edmunds writes is import biased. They love the 300, Charger, Magnum. They like the Fusion (except in that comparison test, which pisses me off too). They like the Cobalt, but it's not perfect. Such as the improperly installed weather stripping. They don't love all imports either. They still don't like the Yaris. So yeah. Just making a point.

That's only because they $h!canned the idiot editors of the past, like Christian Wardlow and Liz Kim.

That's only because they $h!canned the idiot editors of the past, like Christian Wardlow and Liz Kim.

It been quite a while since I have waisted my time on Edmunds but Liz Kim was one serious piece of bovine excrement.

Posted Image

Wow... love that picture.

This is testament that GM can build a good car when they decide to.  Good, not great.  The Cobalt, like almost every GM, still lacks the attention to detail it needs.  Those grab handles would be a good standard addition that would cost very little to install.  I really like the Cobalt.  Wih just a few minor changes (and more inspiring styling) I might even love it.  NAV should be an option (full-blown NAV, not just turn-by-turn).  The Mazda3 offers it; and look at the recent GM corporate units...they can easily be swapped out.  Would many people order it?  No, but its availability would be a big positive.  GM could even make it a dealer-installed option to keep the complexity down at Lordstown.

:withstupid:

In what way is it so terrible?  I know the early models had some noises that developed, but what complaint do you have about the current one? (aside from the preference items like the center-mount gauges)

Heh... The Cobalt rides better, for one, and is of much better build quality. I got to look at a Cobalt sedan and an Ion sedan side by side the other day, and I was astonished as how much better the Cobalt was. The Ion looks like a car that was designed by Fisher Price. It's a joke, seriously. It's so cheap, so mediocre, and so plasticky. Inside and out, it was like a cartoon car, honestly. It and the Cobalt and in two totally different leagues, even though I kinda like the Quad coupe.

Wow... love that picture.

:withstupid:

Heh... The Cobalt rides better, for one, and is of much better build quality. I got to look at a Cobalt sedan and an Ion sedan side by side the other day, and I was astonished as how much better the Cobalt was. The Ion looks like a car that was designed by Fisher Price. It's a joke, seriously. It's so cheap, so mediocre, and so plasticky. Inside and out, it was like a cartoon car, honestly. It and the Cobalt and in two totally different leagues, even though I kinda like the Quad coupe.

I went car shopping with my youngest a couple of months ago. The Cobalt was the top car on our list. I have a $3000 GM card rebate that would have made it a great deal. We drove it and my daughter was unimpressed. After driving an Elantra and then a PT Cruiser I was getting just a little too tired for more of this. However my daughter was anxious. We compromised and went to the Saturn dealer. I had no intention of getting an ION because I had no rebate but I knew the shopping experience would be pleasant and restful. We were shocked at how much nicer the ION rode, handled, looed, was finished, etc. than did the Cobalt. We have had several months of blissful trouble free driving so far. The center mounted guages that most of you can't get used to have turned by youngest from a timid driver to an accomplished one. Her older sister has a relatively new and trouble free Corolla but is jealous of the ION.

I went car shopping with my youngest a couple of months ago.  The Cobalt was the top car on our list.  I have a $3000 GM card rebate that would have made it a great deal.  We drove it and my daughter was unimpressed.  After driving an Elantra and then a PT Cruiser I was getting just a little too tired for more of this.  However my daughter was anxious.  We compromised and went to the Saturn dealer.  I had no intention of getting an ION because I had no rebate but I knew the shopping experience would be pleasant and restful.  We were shocked at how much nicer the ION rode, handled, looed, was finished, etc.  than did the Cobalt. We have had several months of blissful trouble free driving so far.  The center mounted guages that most of you can't get used to have turned by youngest from a timid driver to an accomplished one.  Her older sister has a  relatively new and trouble free Corolla but is jealous of the ION.

is it a sedan or quad coupe?

is it a sedan or quad coupe?

Does it matter? The only difference is the back door and styling. I've driven one right after the other, and the only way I knew which one I was driving was by the black interior and different angle on the windshield.

I went car shopping with my youngest a couple of months ago.  The Cobalt was the top car on our list.  I have a $3000 GM card rebate that would have made it a great deal.  We drove it and my daughter was unimpressed.  After driving an Elantra and then a PT Cruiser I was getting just a little too tired for more of this.  However my daughter was anxious.  We compromised and went to the Saturn dealer.  I had no intention of getting an ION because I had no rebate but I knew the shopping experience would be pleasant and restful.  We were shocked at how much nicer the ION rode, handled, looed, was finished, etc.  than did the Cobalt. We have had several months of blissful trouble free driving so far.  The center mounted guages that most of you can't get used to have turned by youngest from a timid driver to an accomplished one.  Her older sister has a  relatively new and trouble free Corolla but is jealous of the ION.

Well... I don't remember there ever being any ride enhancements to the Ion since it debuted, as my grandma's base Cobalt rides better than a first year Ion me and my parents test drove while looking for a Blazer replacement. As for as how each were finished and build quality, the Cobalt blows the Ion away. Again, the Ion looks like a car made by Fisher Price. The design and those plastic panels really give my that vibe. I especially noticed this when they were side by side. The Ion is a joke, IMO. Laughable, so I must laugh. :lol:

There is an upgraded suspension for the Ion that comes with the 2.4L engine. I probably should test drive a Cobalt to compare, the Ion suspension was good, but not perfect. Coming out of a curve on an interstate off-ramp, there was a slight floaty feel to the suspension. That feel wasn't there with the 2.4L.

I'm probably overly defensive of the Ion, but I know it's a good, solid A-to-B car, and not the total pile of crap that many of you make it out to be. Styling is pretty bland, especially on the sedan. The interior could be better. Still, it's a great drivetrain, solid (though not perfect) suspension, the newer seats are comfortable (I haven't tried the older ones), and there are so many other great qualities to the car. It's far from a pile of crap. And comparing the Cobalt to a first year Ion just isn't fair - the Cobalt benefited from the development that took place in the Ion, and the current Ions are much better than the first couple years' models.

Yeah, I'm actually a fan of the ION's original and creative design. You can see what the designers were thinking, but then of course, the execution turned out poor. Blame the engineers and accountants... not the Saturn designers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not like a comparable Scion (or un-comparable RX-8...) is any better looking.

Yeah, I'm actually a fan of the ION's original and creative design. You can see what the designers were thinking, but then of course, the execution turned out poor. Blame the engineers and accountants... not the Saturn designers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not like a comparable Scion (or un-comparable RX-8...) is any better looking.

I actually kinda like the Quad Coupe, especially the Redline... it's the sedan that makes me shudder.

But I understand a new Ion would be much better than a first year Ion.

its good to see some positive publicity come out about the Cobalt after all the things that have been BAD are posted about it. As far as build quality, I can attest that my wife's Cobalt is well build and there hasn't been a single problem out of it, although it goes through normal maintenance every three-ish months, so if any problems DO begin to arise, I can catch them. And as far as the mileage is concerned with mixed (60%city 40%highway) it averages 28mpg, and that's not relying on the DIC to tell you that, its by doing the actual math. I quite enjoy her Cobalt, it was comfy on our Honeymoon drive from Montgomery to Orlando (with my driving last July whilst Hurricane Dennis (I think it was) was coming ashore).

had he taken that trip with one person, on flat roads, with a 5 speed manual.....he eaisly would have exceeded 35mpg and maybe would have come closer to 40.

My wife and I have many hills to climb on our daily commute and we consistently get 40 mpg. My wife can get 43 mpg, as long as I don't go near it (lead foot driving).

As far as build quality goes; 33,000 miles and not a problem (short of a recall).

Edited by Dsuupr

I know time and time again people have heard me defending the ION, but to be honest, it's a great car. The interior isn't for everyone, but it's still a solid car. I have a second-year ION. I know and accept that the newer ones are better. They are more refined and have had minor tweaks since the 04 model, but mine has not given me any major troubles. Of the few things that have gone wrong, all were serviced by the dealership in no-time and without questions.

Also, I love my sedan. It's original. I can't say the same for the cobalt. The cobalt sedan looks retarded from the rear-end or even rear 3/4 view. I would much rather have my sedan. I've never regretted my decision, and in fact, am that much happier that I bought it now, than ever before. I have done a few uprades to my ION sedan, and it looks even better now.

Then again, I've always loved Saturn's ability to be different. They've always had creativity, and innovative ideas in their designs. No one can ever take that away from them. Up until next year of course.

Purdue and Haypops, I've learned to accept the ION bashing. It's mainstream and almost cool to do it in the public eye. Close-minded individuals can be my guest and pay a premium on a "better image" of a car if they want, but as long as they accept that they are missing out on a possibly great car, they can say or do whatever they feel like.

Here's one of my latest pics of the car (taken from last year). It's been updated since then with vent visors and an exhaust in terms of appearance, but same rims and same ride height.

Posted Image

Here's one of my latest pics of the car (taken from last year). It's been updated since then with vent visors and an exhaust in terms of appearance, but same rims and same ride height.

Looking good! Daughter #1 just got rid of her 94 SL2 with 140,000 miles because it didn't have enough seat belts. Her only modification were scratches, but no dents from where her boy scraped the snow off of th e car with a shovel. Daughter #4's 2006 ION's only modification is a beaded necklass kind of thing she makes and coustomesizes for each of her sister's car.

I know time and time again people have heard me defending the ION, but to be honest, it's a great car. The interior isn't for everyone, but it's still a solid car. I have a second-year ION. I know and accept that the newer ones are better. They are more refined and have had minor tweaks since the 04 model, but mine has not given me any major troubles. Of the few things that have gone wrong, all were serviced by the dealership in no-time and without questions.

Also, I love my sedan. It's original. I can't say the same for the cobalt. The cobalt sedan looks retarded from the rear-end or even rear 3/4 view. I would much rather have my sedan. I've never regretted my decision, and in fact, am that much happier that I bought it now, than ever before. I have done a few uprades to my ION sedan, and it looks even better now.

Then again, I've always loved Saturn's ability to be different. They've always had creativity, and innovative ideas in their designs. No one can ever take that away from them. Up until next year of course.

Purdue and Haypops, I've learned to accept the ION bashing. It's mainstream and almost cool to do it in the public eye. Close-minded individuals can be my guest and pay a premium on a "better image" of a car if they want, but as long as they accept that they are missing out on a possibly great car, they can say or do whatever they feel like.

Posted Image

Looks good on those rims! Nice, clean look...

I trynot to bash on the ION, but I've seen more problems on these the the previous S-series, and It's not help when a friend of mine works at a Saturn Dealer...you should hear the stories... :(

I wouldn't have a problem buying one, as long as it was it a discount (rebated).

I love the coupe, and I'm considering one as a replacement for the wagon in the near future...

I wish that they could have done a lot more for the ION....then it might have had a better chance.

Ions are like Azteks. While they have a tendency to pick up buyers who love them because beneath everything you have to look at, are good vehicles, even if there may be better ones. However, come back to the styling and cheapness of it, inside and out, and I can only shudder in a laughable state of disbelief. It never fails, whether checking out an Aztek or an Ion.

And close-minded? Haha... I won't deny that there are a few people out there who are, but there are better cars out there, regardless of styling. Include styling, and there's no question to it. But alas, the Cobalt's one of those better cars.

And mainstream to bash them? That's even funnier... I bash them because I've ridden in one and got to look at more than a few. Compared to other cars, it's not the best.

Reality is a bitch. :P

Ions are like Azteks. While they have a tendency to pick up buyers who love them because beneath everything you have to look at, are good vehicles, even if there may be better ones. However, come back to the styling and cheapness of it, inside and out, and I can only shudder in a laughable state of disbelief. It never fails, whether checking out an Aztek or an Ion.

And close-minded? Haha... I won't deny that there are a few people out there who are, but there are better cars out there, regardless of styling. Include styling, and there's no question to it. But alas, the Cobalt's one of those better cars.

And mainstream to bash them? That's even funnier... I bash them because I've ridden in one and got to look at more than a few. Compared to other cars, it's not the best.

Reality is a bitch. :P

Gotta agree with ya BV. The sedan stylistically isn't that good...it's actually worse after the refesh though. The interior looks horrible, both ergonomically (gauges) and quality wise. I like the quad coupe's exterior so much better...but the interior kills it. Honestly, the old Neon looks better IMO, even the build and materials quality seem better. My best friend's mom has one. It has never been to the shop aside from brakes, oil, etc. Not a single broken part (it's now 6 years old, still looks new). My only gripe about it is the ugly steering wheel before 2003....and I don't care for the `03 `06 front end. The dhas is meh, nothing gorgious but ergonimcally sound. I'd take it over the Ion any day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

That's an early ION interior shot, and a top-of-the-line, SRT-4 Neon shot, not a fair photographic comparison. The ION interior now has a much better looking steering wheel, better color coordination, nicer graining in the plastics and a smattering of brightwork. It really is amazing how little money can be spent to make an interior look a lot better.

In many ways, the ION is like an Aztec, although not everyone on God's green earth thinks of it as ugly, like they do the aztec. As for the gauges, I'm sorry, but they are a great feature. I would choose them over conventional gauges any day of the week. Maybe its because when you actually get to drive the car more than 5 mins (AKA test drive) you appreciate them that much more. I can't tell you how great it is not to have to move my hand(s) every 2 mins to look at my gauges properly. Also, on the net, I hear countless times of people bashing the center IP. You know what? I go by real-world opinions, and truth is, I've had alot of compliments as well. It only makes me feel better about my purchase, but it was never a deciding factor for me. The ION is truly a great car. Mechanically, its a great car, exactly the same as a cobalt underneath. I don't know how one feels different than the other since they share all the same parts except for the different strut assemblies up front, and different torsion-beam revisions in rear. Materials look and feel better in the cobalt, but you also pay more for a cobalt than you do an ION. Alone, I think the polymer on the ION far outweighs any advantage that the cobalt has over it. Just makes me smile to know my car will still look new in 6-7 years compared to the average cobalt that will start corroding by that time (or even sooner). Yep, reality is a bitch.