Random Thoughts Thread

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, the seems like a natural.  I was thinking they could do an Electra 225 w/ 225 volts, but isn't 240 the standard..

Yup 240 would be the standard if we stayed old school, it will be interesting to see what GM does as they move their tech forward. Considering that the Bolt is a 350 Volt voltage system, I could see a Buick Electra 350 as a true name.

Deep Dive BOLT spec with pics

Very cool details and pictures, one of the better stories on the tech behind the BOLT.

44 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I can respect that, yet to me the soul of an auto is the love and admiration for it and to keep it on the road.

IMO, that's YOUR soul, the vehicle's soul/heart is it's powertrain/engine.

I think anything built before 1970 should stay IC- but feel free to EV a Pinto, Maverick or Cricket. Or Gran Fury. ;)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I think anything built before 1970 should stay IC- but feel free to EV a Pinto, Maverick or Cricket. Or Gran Fury. ;)

Had a lovely tan 4 door Mavrick, awesome little car.

Maybe an EV powertrain will finally make the late 70's and 80's mustang perform. :P 

• Haha 1

The quoting that I did was for OCNBLU...I quoted the wrong post in which Horsey was quoting OCNBLU to which the post quoted Horsey instead of BLU...

Does that make sense?

Anyway...

IMO...

I agree that a car's soul is its powertrain and engine and driving dynamics, but, I also feel like a car's soul is also part of the owner as well.

Even if two cars are exactly the same with all options being 100% identical from the transmissions being the same, engines being the same, the same fabric choices and even the same colour choices and wheel cobinations and tires...I feel the owner of the car and his/her personality is as much part of the car's soul as the car itself.

With that being said...

If a car is to be resto-modded and pro-toured...leaving behind the original pieces of what made the original special, it does not mean that the resto-modded and pro-toured new car wont have soul...and because the owner saw a vision for the new car...a different powertrain may ENHANCE the soul of the original...albeit if the new choices really do enhance what made the original car mythical.

OK...Ill admit...dropping Corvette LS engines into everything and making the new car just another LS swap project is NOT a way to enhance the original car's soul...it does depend what kind of LS swap it is and what other mods were made to make that swap a soulful experience.

Just my two cents, if anybody cares what I have to say.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

^ demented idea..love it.  I'd love to see the modern Corvette engine in a Pro-Touring style '72 Impala Sport Coupe... 

Modern Corvette engine in the 1986 Aero Monte Carlo SS. Talk about sleeper! :P 

Seasonal randomness--I saw Pumpkin Spice flavor dog treats out for fall at the Pet Supply store.  I wonder if the auto parts store has Pumpkin Spice wax and motor oil?

118570_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1502473580_.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Seasonal randomness--I saw Pumpkin Spice flavor dog treats out for fall at the Pet Supply store.  I wonder if the auto parts store has Pumpkin Spice wax and motor oil?

Seems NY Times is complaining about the overload of early arrival Pumpkin Spice everything.

Saw this in online ads. Crazy flavors:

PumpkinSpiceCheerios.jpg

PumpkinSpiceCliffBar.jpg

PumpkinSpiceIceCream.jpg

PumpkinSpiceM&M.jpg

PumpkinSpiceMilanoCookies.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

In case anyone was looking for a 'barometer'; it took the FBI 3 months and 3 weeks to comply with a rather innocuous FOIA request regarding an individual/ incident from 1952. Typical performance from a federal entity, I suppose.

Well, it is their normal speed I'd say.....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Came close to making this my first car, but was scared off by the frame rot (MonoBilt unibody).

51 Pacemaker.jpeg- 1951 Hudson Pacemaker Brougham
Still love the 'step-down' Hudsons...

Very cool, I think that is what aftermarket frames are for. :P 

Or custom tube frame made to really make it a sleeper with the right power train. :D 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I have to ahve some fun...my daughter knew a girl named Jojo Holloway...who was shot to death Yesterday here in Columbus...Jojo was seventeen...

Kind of really sad otherwise...

http://nbc4i.com/2017/10/24/suspect-in-custody-after-three-people-shot-in-southeast-columbus/

• Sad 1

Cool story covering Chrysler's EV attempts over the last 40 years.

https://www.allpar.com/corporate/electric-cars.html

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Sorry to hear your family knew someone of that senseless killing. RIP Jojo.

• Thanks 1

Picked up my Daughters Durango from Kirkland Transmission yesterday, Awesome place with an awesome group of guys. Top Quality Auto Work.

They had 3 lovely auto's they were working on.

1950 Ford they just finished a custom transmission in.

1950Ford.jpg

1955 Chevy Belair Transmission Service

1955ChevyBelair.jpg

1957 Chevy Nomad - Complete restoration of transmission and engine.

1957ChevyNomad.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Random Fact: The Focus RS's Brembo front brakes fit directly onto all 2012+ Focus provided you have a wheel to go over them. Caliper, bracket, and rotor fits right on. 

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-brakes/97233-rs-brakes-install-tips-review-comparison.html

If you piece everything together instead of buying the whole package from Ford it's "dirt cheap" as well. $550 cheap instead of the $1600 Ford wants. They require at least an 18inch wheel for clearance. If my winter wheels weren't the OEM 17's I'd seriously look into doing this. 

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Seattle is expecting their first snow of the season this friday.
http://www.king5.com/weather/blog/first-snow-of-the-season-expected-friday-morning/488162885

It’s gotten cold here too.. time to swap the summer wheels/tires for the OEM wheels/tires for the winter.. luckily we have a warm(but rainy) weekend to get it done in the garage and not freeze. 

I love me some snow! If we got a ton of it, I’d probably like it a lot less. 

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2017 at 5:09 PM, balthazar said:

Long disagreement short: There are older vehicles out there that are not and will never be museum pieces, so there is no harm in in powertrain swapping them or converting them to EV.    I'd have no problem pulling a tired, smogged, 500ci from a 70's Eldorado or Fleetwood and finding a way to load a P100 power unit in there.  

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It’s gotten cold here too.. time to swap the summer wheels/tires for the OEM wheels/tires for the winter.. luckily we have a warm(but rainy) weekend to get it done in the garage and not freeze. 

I love me some snow! If we got a ton of it, I’d probably like it a lot less. 

crap... I forgot.  I'll need to do this soon too.  We had our first fire of the season here yesterday.

Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20171101190202.gif

How time flies. Oct 31st was my 10 year anniversary and it seems like just yesterday.   And yet, there are some of you here who I've known longer than that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

crap... I forgot.  I'll need to do this soon too.  We had our first fire of the season here yesterday.

Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20171101190202.gif

How time flies. Oct 31st was my 10 year anniversary and it seems like just yesterday.   And yet, there are some of you here who I've known longer than that. 

Yeah no joke.. It's freakin' NOVEMBER already! Before I put my OE wheels back on I want to get them sparkly clean inside and out(even know I know they'll be dirty in a week or even the end of the day if it's rainy). 

Do you do it yourself or do you take it to a shop to swap them out? I wish I trusted some place to not scratch the wheels because it would save me about an hour's worth of work between moving stuff around in the garage and only being able to do one side at a time. I'd much rather just load up everything and have somewhere do it in 10 minutes. 

16 hours ago, ccap41 said:

If you piece everything together instead of buying the whole package from Ford it's "dirt cheap" as well. $550 cheap instead of the $1600 Ford wants. They require at least an 18inch wheel for clearance. If my winter wheels weren't the OEM 17's I'd seriously look into doing this. 

I'm wondering what advantage you'd get out of it in your driving though.  If you don't have the performance to need it in the first place, won't the OE brakes do?

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah no joke.. It's freakin' NOVEMBER already! Before I put my OE wheels back on I want to get them sparkly clean inside and out(even know I know they'll be dirty in a week or even the end of the day if it's rainy). 

Do you do it yourself or do you take it to a shop to swap them out? I wish I trusted some place to not scratch the wheels because it would save me about an hour's worth of work between moving stuff around in the garage and only being able to do one side at a time. I'd much rather just load up everything and have somewhere do it in 10 minutes. 

I don't have a second set of wheels.  I take the tires to Costco and have them swapped off the rims. 

This does two things: 

1. I don't have to have a second set of rims also.

2. It keeps my tire swaps and rotations on record for warranty purposes.

I keep strictly to the rotation schedule and Costco always warranties out my tires because they never make it to 50% of treadwear warranty miles before they need to be replaced.

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I also wish the gf and I could have a real fireplace at our project building.. We'll have a fake electric one, which is nice and all, but I'd much rather have a real one. 

Can you do a gas burner (slightly better than electric) or a wood stove?

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I also wish the gf and I could have a real fireplace at our project building.. We'll have a fake electric one, which is nice and all, but I'd much rather have a real one. 

Yes, as much as I want to help and save our planet, there is something very nice about a real fire in a fireplace. :metal: 

• Like 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm wondering what advantage you'd get out of it in your driving though.  If you don't have the performance to need it in the first place, won't the OE brakes do?

Realistically, none at all. But damn would those blue Brembos look good! 

I'm actually not very satisfied with the brakes on the car. They're not bad by any means but I was just looking through the Focus forum for pad suggestions and came across an ST swap(which is equally as easy as the RS but doesn't require 18 or 19 inch wheels and runs about $300(after you get your core fees back). I just want a little more bite as I squeeze the pedal more. I feel like there is initial bite but then there's a percent in the middle that doesn't seem to progress much, and then when you press harder yet you get that extra little bit. Realistically, I don't need that extra bit often at all but there are some times when it just doesn't give a confident feel. Because most of my driving is in town and I'm not aggressive, I really don't need an upgrade like the RS but I think the ST upgrade may be in my plans next spring when I swap back to the summer wheels. Also, tiny brakes behind nice wheels(to me) looks funky. A larger rotor/caliper will fill it out much better. 

If this doesn't send you to page 2, the comparison pics are on the bottom of page 2 from stock Focus to ST brakes.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/brakes-suspension-body-chassis/612521-mk3-st-front-brakes-mk3-se-yes-2.html

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't have a second set of wheels.  I take the tires to Costco and have them swapped off the rims. 

This does two things: 

I keep strictly to the rotation schedule and Costco always warranties out my tires because they never make it to 50% of treadwear warranty miles before they need to be replaced.

I used to do this also, but since now all my auto's are AWD, I seem to get very long tire life out of a set of 4 even on the TB. Example is the Bridgestone Duellers I had was a 40K tire and I got 67K out of the set of 4 before I put on the new Michelin Defenders.

In regards to winter tires, found that having a set on Rims made it very easy for me to swap them out in my garage in less than an hour and like CCAP41, I can clean and dress the tires so they start out the season clean and neat. Course that was for the Suburban, my only RWD auto left I own. Now everything on AWD, I am good with a proper set of tires all season.

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I upgraded the brakes on my 94 GMC Suburban before I did anything to the engine back in the 90's with what Brembo sold then and loved the far better response and faster slow down. Paid for itself when a car full of young kids pulled in front of me on the freeway in heavy traffic. 1 ton dually in front of me and they pulled in the space between us and traffic came to a stop. I would have crushed them on the original OEM brakes, but stopped safe and fast and they hit the bumper of the truck and pulled onto the shoulder and as we went by they were clearly freaked out.

Brakes is one area I like having superior grip power for faster slow down than needed as you never know the idiots out on the road and what they will do.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I used to do this also, but since now all my auto's are AWD, I seem to get very long tire life out of a set of 4 even on the TB. Example is the Bridgestone Duellers I had was a 40K tire and I got 67K out of the set of 4 before I put on the new Michelin Defenders.

In regards to winter tires, found that having a set on Rims made it very easy for me to swap them out in my garage in less than an hour and like CCAP41, I can clean and dress the tires so they start out the season clean and neat. Course that was for the Suburban, my only RWD auto left I own. Now everything on AWD, I am good with a proper set of tires all season.

Both daily cars are AWD.  I have 90k Michelins on the Honda, but they never get past 40k.  It doesn't bother me too much because I get more than 50% off my next set.  The Toronado will need new tires in the spring. They're some off-brand that I bought 7 years ago and they've always been terrible.  They're getting dry-rot now, so even though they have a bit of treadwear left, I'm not comfortable taking them on long trips anymore.  I did 1,000 mile trip on them in Sept and it will basically remain garaged until April.

• Thanks 1

I bought last fall Michelin Premier for my wife's MDX.  They are highly rated if not the highest rated all-season tire for crossovers.  Found out that even the best all-season tire is not that great in icy conditions we get here in NJ.  Great AWD system means nothing without appropriate tires.

My friend saw last winter in New Hampshire Jeep almost go into the ditch and struggling getting up the mountain with all-season tires while his Outback with winter tires had no problem at all.

I drive RWD car with summer tires and I have a set of rims with winter tires.

Edited by ykX

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

This does two things: 

Can you do a gas burner (slightly better than electric) or a wood stove?

Ahhh yes, when I worked in a shop we had 2 seasonal customers come in and swap just their tires exactly as you do. Depending on what's available and what my vehicle is...and how long they'd be on each year.. I'd look into a cheap set of wheels or steelies. Buuuuut that is another added expanse and if you don't find a reasonably priced wheel that looks good it's not going to happen. 

Our problem is having a chimney...we don't have one.. The building does but it's(I'm assuming) and exhaust vent for something. 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Yes, as much as I want to help and save our planet, there is something very nice about a real fire in a fireplace. :metal: 

They're really more of a hassle as well but they just look so much better. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have 90k Michelins on the Honda, but they never get past 40k.  It doesn't bother me too much because I get more than 50% off my next set.

That's actually awesome. You're almost always rolling around on new tires. 

What size tires are on the Toronado? Is it something goofy? 

Focus Brakes.jpg

Focus Brakes2.jpg

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Found out that even the best all-season tire is not that great in icy conditions we get here in NJ.  Great AWD system means nothing without appropriate tires.

All seasons are also known as no seasons for a reason lol. They do nothing great but everything "okay". 

Ice is one thing that can only safely be traveled on with a dedicated winter tire. No way around that one.. We got some ice last year when I still had my Escape and AWD didn't do anything because ICE. All four wheels would spin regardless if I wasn't suuuper careful. 

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ahhh yes, when I worked in a shop we had 2 seasonal customers come in and swap just their tires exactly as you do. Depending on what's available and what my vehicle is...and how long they'd be on each year.. I'd look into a cheap set of wheels or steelies. Buuuuut that is another added expanse and if you don't find a reasonably priced wheel that looks good it's not going to happen. 

Our problem is having a chimney...we don't have one.. The building does but it's(I'm assuming) and exhaust vent for something. 

They're really more of a hassle as well but they just look so much better. 

That's actually awesome. You're almost always rolling around on new tires. 

What size tires are on the Toronado? Is it something goofy? 

You can get a ventless gas log (I don't like them, I can always smell them even though the manufacturers claim you can't)  You can also get a higher efficiency vented set and run them out the wall instead. http://www.heatilator.com/Shopping-Tools/Blog/Gas-Fireplace-Venting-Explained.aspx

The Toronado wears 205/75R15s with a 1.25" white wall.  Virtually impossible to find. Aside from the whitewall, the size is shared with the oooold 80's S-10 truck and also is a common trailer tire size for boats/RVs. 

The only decent tire I can find is a Uniroyal Tigerpaw.  The whitewall is a little on the narrow side, but it will have to do. I just don't feel the need to spend the $450 on them until April since the car won't be driven much, if at all, until then.  

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You can get a ventless gas log (I don't like them, I can always smell them even though the manufacturers claim you can't)  You can also get a higher efficiency vented set and run them out the wall instead. http://www.heatilator.com/Shopping-Tools/Blog/Gas-Fireplace-Venting-Explained.aspx

Ahhh I wish I could do that but our family room area is kind of in the middle of the room.. There's no real walls around it. We're building a wall for the TV, fireplace, mantel, and bookshelf on the back side. I'll try and see what pictures I have on my phone. 

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Toronado wears 205/75R15s with a 1.25" white wall.  Virtually impossible to find. Aside from the whitewall, the size is shared with the oooold 80's S-10 truck and also is a common trailer tire size for boats/RVs. 

Yeah that size is cheap and easy to find but the white walls.. not so much.. :(. That size is on some 90's early 2000's Buicks as well, if I'm not wrong. We sold a lot of those where I worked. 

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The only decent tire I can find is a Uniroyal Tigerpaw.  The whitewall is a little on the narrow side, but it will have to do. I just don't feel the need to spend the $450 on them until April since the car won't be driven much, if at all, until then.  

Yeah no reason to let them sit with weight on them for a few months, they'll only age quicker like that. I'd do the same. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Ahhh I wish I could do that but our family room area is kind of in the middle of the room.. There's no real walls around it. We're building a wall for the TV, fireplace, mantel, and bookshelf on the back side. I'll try and see what pictures I have on my phone. 

That's actually even easier.  Run the vent pipe straight up to the roof. https://www.firesidechimneysupply.com/

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Both daily cars are AWD.  I have 90k Michelins on the Honda, but they never get past 40k.  It doesn't bother me too much because I get more than 50% off my next set.  The Toronado will need new tires in the spring. They're some off-brand that I bought 7 years ago and they've always been terrible.  They're getting dry-rot now, so even though they have a bit of treadwear left, I'm not comfortable taking them on long trips anymore.  I did 1,000 mile trip on them in Sept and it will basically remain garaged until April now.

Very interesting, I have never seen an auto that eats through tires like you have. 

Can totally understand the Toronado tire issue, agree, let her sleep till spring now and then do something about the tires.

2 hours ago, ykX said:

I bought last fall Michelin Premier for my wife's MDX.  They are highly rated if not the highest rated all-season tire for crossovers.  Found out that even the best all-season tire is not that great in icy conditions we get here in NJ.  Great AWD system means nothing without appropriate tires.

My friend saw last winter in New Hampshire Jeep almost go into the ditch and struggling getting up the mountain with all-season tires while his Outback with winter tires had no problem at all.

I drive RWD car with summer tires and I have a set of rims with winter tires.

Totally understand and with the Ice that I have dealt with in NJ, I would also have a set of Blizzak tires to ride on too.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Very interesting, I have never seen an auto that eats through tires like you have. 

Can totally understand the Toronado tire issue, agree, let her sleep till spring now and then do something about the tires.

Totally understand and with the Ice that I have dealt with in NJ, I would also have a set of Blizzak tires to ride on too.

The Costco guy tells me it's due to the roads around here. He doesn't give me any trouble about it.