Random Thoughts Thread

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Ever encounter one of these asshats? I hate'm.

2017_0730_102511_846-1.mp4

Yup, agree. I know some times people make mistakes and go through a red light, I have entered an intersection and had it go from green to red before I exit. Weird, but have experienced it. Yet then you can tell like this guy he truly did not want to wait, maybe playing with his phone and then just gunned it going through a clear red light. Glad you were not fast off the line as he could have hit you.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Yup, agree. I know some times people make mistakes and go through a red light, I have entered an intersection and had it go from green to red before I exit. Weird, but have experienced it. Yet then you can tell like this guy he truly did not want to wait, maybe playing with his phone and then just gunned it going through a clear red light. Glad you were not fast off the line as he could have hit you.

Oh definitely! I don't mind ppl going through while it changes.. it happens. It's HOW LATE he was that pissed me off. After my accident I tend to pay a little more attention to the left and right traffic for this exact thing. Had that silver truck started driving when the light turned green, or myself, there would have almost guaranteed been an accident. 

I also drive a Focus.. I can't be too fast off the line. Hahaha 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That is a daily occurrence here. How these folks here managed to get an operators license is a f@#king mystery to me. The day one of them hits me is the day it becomes the longest day of their miserable lives. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

That is a daily occurrence here. How these folks here managed to get an operators license is a f@#king mystery to me. The day one of them hits me is the day it becomes the longest day of their miserable lives. 

I'd highly suggest a dash cam so you have proof. I didn't realize my time stamp was off until I loaded that video. I'd hate for something like that to bite me in the ass. You never know if anybody is willing to stop and tell the officer what happened. 

But absolutely, I don't see it THIS bad very often at all. I may sound like a cranky old man but it's tempting to send it to my local PD. I'm not sure if they could or even would do anything about it but when it's this blatantly obvious it pisses me off, big time. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'd highly suggest a dash cam so you have proof. I didn't realize my time stamp was off until I loaded that video. I'd hate for something like that to bite me in the ass. You never know if anybody is willing to stop and tell the officer what happened. 

But absolutely, I don't see it THIS bad very often at all. I may sound like a cranky old man but it's tempting to send it to my local PD. I'm not sure if they could or even would do anything about it but when it's this blatantly obvious it pisses me off, big time. 

In washington state we have a distracted driving law so you get a $256, $512 and $1024 fine for first through 3rd offense and they notify your insurance each time. Yet with that they also put signs up asking people to report distracted driving as well as road rage and DUI. 

I am all for safety and yet how does a single occupant driver do that when they see it? Agree Dash Cams are about to become common to protect oneself. The GoPro 4K is awesome for clarity and that is how I think it should be done, when safe forward it to the local police.

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

One step ahead of you. Keep one right on my dash because I don’t trust anyone on the road.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

One step ahead of you. Keep one right on my dash because I don’t trust anyone on the road.

Awesome! What do you have? 

After my accident and getting lucky I had a witness I was like "Damn, this could have easily been a he-said, she-said situation" had one guy not stopped and said he saw everything. I definitely bought it for my own insurance and at $100 it was cheap insurance. There are definitely cheaper(and way more pricey) out there. 

24 minutes ago, dfelt said:

In washington state we have a distracted driving law so you get a $256, $512 and $1024 fine for first through 3rd offense and they notify your insurance each time. Yet with that they also put signs up asking people to report distracted driving as well as road rage and DUI. 

I am all for safety and yet how does a single occupant driver do that when they see it? Agree Dash Cams are about to become common to protect oneself. The GoPro 4K is awesome for clarity and that is how I think it should be done, when safe forward it to the local police.

I think either IL or MO enacted an "E-DUI" recently that covers distracted driving from phones or whatnot. 

I actually really like the new setting on my iPhone that it senses when I'm in a car and it won't alert me of anything. I can turn it off or open it, then confirm I'm not driving, to use it if I have to or if I'm not the one driving though. Then all of my calls and texts can go through my car anyway. 

Okay, I guess I was wrong and it is Washington that has the E-DUI. I guess Illinois is considering it though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Awesome! What do you have? 

After my accident and getting lucky I had a witness I was like "Damn, this could have easily been a he-said, she-said situation" had one guy not stopped and said he saw everything. I definitely bought it for my own insurance and at $100 it was cheap insurance. There are definitely cheaper(and way more pricey) out there. 

It’s just a little JVC sports cam. It’s basically a Go Pro knockoff but it was only $30 so I couldn’t pass it up. Actually works great. 

Edited by surreal1272

15 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I liked how you stayed calm and stayed away from him.

You did not give in to road rage.

And yes...that sorta thing happens all the time for me. Ive learned to deal with it. Like how you said later in your posts...

I dont go right away when the light turns green (green light for me)and I Iook both ways before I advance making sure there is nobody running the red light (red light for them).

I said that I was gonna get a dash cam when your accident happened. I havent yet. But I will. By XMAS I should have one for myself and my wife.

A XMAS gift for myself. 

(I dont really buy anything extravagant for myself during the course of a year...I do that for XMAS and a Dash Cam for 2 cars will be that gift I give myself this year)

• Agree 2

Apparently got too close to a Porsche Cayenne GTS in a home garage today. Windows were down and although I touched nothing, apparently it has a proximity alarm, because it went off. Loudly. Luckily- no one was home so I exited, shut the garage door and went on my way.

Got me thinking about (is it the CT6?) 360-degree cameras. Not that I am at all worried, but I wouldn't be surprised if such a system took a 360-degree pic when the alarm goes off.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Apparently got too close to a Porsche Cayenne GTS in a home garage today. Windows were down and although I touched nothing, apparently it has a proximity alarm, because it went off. Loudly. Luckily- no one was home so I exited, shut the garage door and went on my way.

Got me thinking about (is it the CT6?) 360-degree cameras. Not that I am at all worried, but I wouldn't be surprised if such a system took a 360-degree pic when the alarm goes off.

Interesting idea, have the 360 degree camera system record everything for say 3-5 min when the alarm goes off. Cool tech for protecting your property. 

Wonder if Porsche thought of it and did it or not?

@balthazar Just checked their web site, no security system at all offered by the company. Have to do a 3rd party install. Cadillac at least has a basic security system.

Configured up the GTS the way I would want it for my own driving as a Hybrid and I was over $160K. Ouch, talk about pricey.

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

PTSD as suffered by combat veterans is a very real and difficult thing to deal with.

Our Soldiers truly need more help when they come home than they are receiving today.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

@balthazar Just checked their web site, no security system at all offered by the company. Have to do a 3rd party install. Cadillac at least has a basic security system.

$97,500 to start had better get you an alarm system.
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/owners_manual_cayenne_pcna.pdf
Page 245- there is a factory system- this had the LEDs at the traditional door lock spot on the doors. Doesn't say anything about how it works tho.

59 minutes ago, balthazar said:

$97,500 to start had better get you an alarm system.
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/owners_manual_cayenne_pcna.pdf
Page 245- there is a factory system- this had the LEDs at the traditional door lock spot on the doors. Doesn't say anything about how it works tho.

Thank you, it is really weird that nowhere on their build system do they talk about the alarm system or on their overview of the auto. Very weird, looks like a basic alarm with some annoying things as most are just basic contacts and noise with a built in reset. Seen better 3rd party alarms than this, I would think pretty easy for a criminal to overcome fast.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

MB got handed their lunch by Tesla.

But we know about this already.

The Model S destroys Hellcats and Demons, Porsche 991 Turbo S, Ferrari 488  and Mclaren 570GT...

Mercedes-AMG GT-R is also slower than the Model S...which is also slower than the Mercedes-AMG E63S...but that is no surprise considering the Tesla Model S has spanked cars way faster...the cars I mentioned above...

Motor Trend did a gig on that actually a month ago.

We actually know this even before that as like I said about Hellcats and Demons...the Model S spanks those too!

Top Gear...stop wasting my time...this is #oldnews for me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Doesn't matter, Tesla buyers aren't drag racing, and muscle car and exotic car buyers aren't cross shopping Tesla...just pointless comparisons. 

Sorry Cubical, have to totally disagree as I know many private and sponsored Tesla drag racing. YouTube shows this is a real thing.

• Agree 2

Yes and every competitor can walk away from the Tesla when driving range is factored... plus, every competitor is absolutely superior in every way that counts to real automotive enthusiasts.  Every normal person would much rather date someone with a heartbeat than someone with a door at their lower back for putting batteries in.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:12 PM, balthazar said:

Yes, the CT6 will do that. It also keeps a running recording of a few minutes of video and will save the video if the car is in an accident. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

More Teslas are drag racing than I would have expected, that's for sure. 

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Yes and every competitor can walk away from the Tesla when driving range is factored...

Luckily, a 1/4 mile drag race is still only a 1/4 mile. 

12 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Drag racing a Tesla seems as pointless as drag racing a Bentley.  Probably violates the warranty.   And by 'many' it's maybe 1% of customers? 

And the % of drivers taking anything they own to a track is...? out of the hundred thousand mustangs and camaros sold this year how many do you think found a drag strip? Yeah, probably more than 1% but what about C63's and M4's? Id say only 1% of those make a track appearance as well. 

On 10/19/2017 at 9:10 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Drag racing a Tesla seems as pointless as drag racing a Bentley.  Probably violates the warranty.   And by 'many' it's maybe 1% of customers? 

It is kind of odd, but if you ahve money and want to why not?  You tube is full of videos of them outrunning Hellcats.

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

And on that note, I've pretty much stopping watching anything that gives me news....

Anything American,  Most of the American news media is pretty much corrupt and inept.  I do follow the Wall Street Journal for economic news, Democracy Now for political new as they are completely independent, and a little bit of National review to put a little bit of conservative balance into the mix.

But mostly BBC, Al Jazzera and non American news sources.

On 10/21/2017 at 7:29 AM, ocnblu said:

I love the beautiful, strong, muscular growl of a V8 engine on the boil... but if I take what I want, will it bite me on the butt?

You would have to be tall enough for the grill to be able to reach your butt.  I think your strong American V8 will probably just nibble on your shoulders.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/20/2017 at 9:27 AM, ccap41 said:

More Teslas are drag racing than I would have expected, that's for sure. 

Luckily, a 1/4 mile drag race is still only a 1/4 mile. 

And the % of drivers taking anything they own to a track is...? out of the hundred thousand mustangs and camaros sold this year how many do you think found a drag strip? Yeah, probably more than 1% but what about C63's and M4's? Id say only 1% of those make a track appearance as well. 

The classic quote on this came from a Porsche test driver.  When asked how many of the cars they actually sold ever reached top speed....he replied..."all of them in bar room bench racing sessions."

On 10/19/2017 at 7:48 PM, ocnblu said:

Yes and every competitor can walk away from the Tesla when driving range is factored... plus, every competitor is absolutely superior in every way that counts to real automotive enthusiasts.  Every normal person would much rather date someone with a heartbeat than someone with a door at their lower back for putting batteries in.

A lot of members here are quite happy dating guys with a door at their lower back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/19/2017 at 7:48 PM, ocnblu said:

By this measure a Chevy Cruze is better than a funny car or a top fuel dragster.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

By this measure a Chevy Cruze is better than a funny car or a top fuel dragster.

Well, the Cruze is better..it's a real car for the real world, while race cars have no function off the track.  0-60 and quarter mile times are simplistic performance measurements that have limited utility when comparing cars in the real world.   More important measurements of real-world performance are seat and steering wheel adjustment, cupholder capacity and adjustability, location and number of USB jacks, etc.. ;) 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Well, the Cruze is better..it's a real car for the real world, while race cars have no function off the track.  0-60 and quarter mile times are simplistic performance measurements that have limited utility when comparing cars in the real world.   More important measurements of real-world performance are seat and steering wheel adjustment, cupholder capacity and adjustability, location and number of USB jacks, etc.. ;) 

Do not forget heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, hip room, leg room, head room, shoulder room, to name a few additional important needs too. :P 

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

is absolutely superior in every way that counts to real automotive enthusiasts. 

And what is this definition of "real" automotive enthusiast in your view?

In my view...I will tackle this 3-fold.

The first...

For performance oriented "enthusiasts"

Youve seen the vids with the babes whose boobs pop out with acceleration runs with the old skool gasoline piston engines...well...the Tesla has the same affect...

The vid is more classier as the girls are not trashy. (Disclaimer...I have nothing against trashy girls...God bless them, they had a profound influence on me growing up!)

The second....performance oriented again as we all confuse enthusiasm with speed...

The third..and yes...I know...the Model S makes no sounds...not sexy..

But that is only 1 part of enthusiasm...

Speed and performance is another part...

I think this man is a symbol of a real automotive enthusiast as he EMBRACES ALL PARTS..

cfbbc18851749ec5a8566fb6b4d6322d--cute-p

d821c5676182f6b2623dffe362339126.jpg

92550d94c6742845d4972ff18b2614db.jpg

the-25-coolest-cars-in-jay-lenos-garage.

And the cool part is that he loves every type of motorvation

526324572.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFB

4079880_43a16432dedfc88132ca5b867b5c2e62

including electrics

EV bikes...

1121.jpg

So...what is your definition of a "real automobile enthusiast" ?

Because mine is more in line with Jay Leno...and he also adopts a live and let live philosophy...

A car does not have to be the sexiest, the loudest, the nicest, the fastest, etc for me to be enthused by it...

I just have to like it...

YOU, dont have to like the Model S...

But...if you cant see why others like it...then you  my friend...according to my definition...YOU are just a fan boy...not a "real automotive enthusiast"

Nothing wrong with that...I just find it ironic that YOU think you are representative of a "real automobile enthusiast"...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Do not forget heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, hip room, leg room, head room, shoulder room, to name a few additional important needs too. :P 

Yes...ergonomics and cabin tech are the highest priority for many nowadays.  0-60 and gas mileage are secondary..  (as I get older, comfort and convenience trumps everything else..maybe I'm becoming a future Buick or Volvo driver..). 

• Haha 1

I haven't adjusted my seat or steering wheel since I bought my truck in 2006. Haven't gotten any taller in that time span, either. ;P

There are such things as 'street/strip' cars; vehicles you can drag and drive on the street. My B-59 will be one of those: no steering adjustment, no A/C, no cup holders, but quicker than a '17 Stingray Z51 in the quarter mile and more interior room than any RPO 2017 car. Hip room w no center console : 66". Ahhh- luxury!

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I haven't adjusted my seat or steering wheel since I bought my truck in 2006. Haven't gotten any taller in that time span, either. ;P

There are such things as 'street/strip' cars; vehicles you can drag and drive on the street. My B-59 will be one of those: no steering adjustment, no A/C, no cup holders, but quicker than a '17 Stingray Z51 in the quarter mile and more interior room than any RPO 2017 car. Hip room w no center console : 66". Ahhh- luxury!

That's because you are the only one drives your truck :)

If you had another family member driving it I am sure you would need the adjustment.

Also, I am not sure about strip, but for autocross or track the seating position is not the same as street. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I think you should convert it and make it another Ghost EV Auto.

B-59 Ghost EV.

This is a cool project done to a 1939 Dodge Truck making it an EV Truck.

Also, check out this story done by Green Car Reports of the Raonoke College, Salem, Virginia restoring a 1939 Pontiac Silver Streak but replacing the 4.0 liter straight 8 with a EV Powertrain. Love the color of the auto.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075942_converting-a-car-to-electric-how-about-a-39-pontiac-silver-streak

39-pontiac-electric-car-conversion-roanoke-college_100389715_l.jpg

Truly believe we are going to have another renaissance of young people loving auto's as they convert and save old awesome cars. trucks and suv's as they become EV's.

Latest info on the 1939 Pontiac Silver Streak can be found here on their web site.

https://orgsync.com/34883/chapter

Gotta love the strength of old iron. They have a web site with lots of pics of the powertrain and having completed the auto for the 2015 graduating class. Now onto a VW bus conversion it would seem.

https://www.facebook.com/RCElectricRoanokeCollege

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah- that's not my thing.
As the last few years go by -working on my '40- I have less & less appreciation for those COEs that have been re-chassis'd and modernized. "What chassis is it on?" is as common a question as "what year is that?".

There's a bit of blasphemy in that, I now feel. If you like a -say- '39 Dodge truck, part & parcel (some would say 'the soul') is that low-power, low-RPM flattie under the hood. Designed & built by Dodge, refurbished- it can run forever. Otherwise, some of these resto-mod vehicles are akin to a Halloween costume- they aren't real but a facsimile.

With my '40, a running original-spec truck is in the VAST majority today. But as I went thru each sub-assembly and as each 77 year bolt or fixture came apart with relative ease and was in good condition, it seemed to say 'I have more life to live'. It also feels like a time machine to a degree.

Throwing a flathead 8 on the scrap pile feels like automotive murder.

It's not that IMO an old vehicle needs to remain totally stock, but I do feel strongly that it should 'stay in the family' and be some combination of original and 'period'. Thusly, the B-59 must at minimum retain it's soul (or the soul from the bloodline) : a Buick engine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I know you are in love with 'pun' car naming, but IMO it's a bit trashy/ groan-inducing.

I see the quickest Model S P100D 1/4 mile is 10.4 @ 124. That's right about where my car should be, so I'd be a whisker from the 'fastest sedan on the market' (excluding the Demon). I think I'm already "hot rodded" by using a BBB.

59 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Yeah- that's not my thing.
As the last few years go by -working on my '40- I have less & less appreciation for those COEs that have been re-chassis'd and modernized. "What chassis is it on?" is as common a question as "what year is that?".

There's a bit of blasphemy in that, I now feel. If you like a -say- '39 Dodge truck, part & parcel (some would say 'the soul') is that low-power, low-RPM flattie under the hood. Designed & built by Dodge, refurbished- it can run forever. Otherwise, some of these resto-mod vehicles are akin to a Halloween costume- they aren't real but a facsimile.

With my '40, a running original-spec truck is in the VAST majority today. But as I went thru each sub-assembly and as each 77 year bolt or fixture came apart with relative ease and was in good condition, it seemed to say 'I have more life to live'. It also feels like a time machine to a degree.

Throwing a flathead 8 on the scrap pile feels like automotive murder.

It's not that IMO an old vehicle needs to remain totally stock, but I do feel strongly that it should 'stay in the family' and be some combination of original and 'period'. Thusly, the B-59 must at minimum retain it's soul (or the soul from the bloodline) : a Buick engine.

I can respect that, yet to me the soul of an auto is the love and admiration for it and to keep it on the road. The 1939 Pontiac the college did kept everything except the engine and old lights that ended up with LED bulbs to minimize energy use. They used a Warp motor that connected via a custom plate to the old original transmission. Rest of the auto stayed period consistent and they refurbished the dash with the original instrumentation. Kept more original than the truck.

All in All, I think the soul is keeping the auto on the road running for others to see and enjoy even if it is an alternative powertrain like an EV unit.

My 1994 GMC Suburban SLE will keep everything except the original engine as I change it over to EV and have plenty of space for long distance battery pack under the body between the original frame and use the old tube that the drive line went through as a tunnel for the electrical cable.

59 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

A '59 Electra hot rodded as an EV 'Electron' would be an interesting project..or use a Chevy Volt powertrain. 

Would not be surprised to see a Buick Electra based on the Chevy Bolt come to market in the next 18 months.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Would not be surprised to see a Buick Electra based on the Chevy Bolt come to market in the next 18 months.

Yeah, the name seems like a natural.  I was thinking they could do an Electra 225 w/ 225 volts, but isn't 240 the standard..