Random Thoughts Thread

OK, Asking for your thoughts, no offense if you tell me I am full of it. I know this will tow the Political line but since this is the only Forum I am joined too and I really have no one else to ask other than the wife, I would like your guys input.

So I live in one of the most liberal places in the US. Washington State, I am all for the American Dream, Melting pot and wide variety of  heritages, foods, music, etc.

Wife is Korean, both my son and daughter are full Korean, I spend my life around a mixing pot of people.

Today at Taco Time, I ran over to get a quick lunch for my famly. I ordered, sat down in the waiting stools and behind me another woman ordered. 

Than a black man comes in, greeted by the senior lady taking orders and in a heavy accent he says, 

"Get me Man"

The Lady says Excuse me and the guy repeats the same thing "Get me Man".

The lady clearly states that only woman are working today, what can she get for him. 

He raises his voice in a commanding tone and says "Get me man infidel woman".

At this point I get up, walk up to him and tell him to tone it down, if he wants something to eat, respectfully give his order to the woman. There are no men working. He looks at me and in some foreign language starts to yell at me.

I raise my voice to shut him up as he clearly understands english. I tell him if he cannot respect woman as an equal here in the US and will not work with them or acknowledge them he needs to go home to his original country from where he came.

This just pissed me off that he would 1) treat a woman the way he did. 2) He comes to our country and expects it to be the way it is from where he came from. 3) Try's to act like I should know his language.

He took a step towards me and I just glared down at him and did not budge. He finally left. The counter lady thanked me, as did a couple other people who came in to eat and was waiting to order. One hippie looking woman just glared at me and shook her head leaving me with the impression that I was wrong.

The guy went out, got into his washington licensed car and took off, running over the curb and almost hitting a car coming out of the drive through and then ran over the curb again getting onto the main street 196th and almost hit another car before gunning it and flying down the road.

I am all for accepting people from around the world into our country, but why is it so hard for some to assimilate into our culture and integrate their culture into ours? Why do we not require learning to read, write and speak english before giving a drivers license to a person. This is a privilege earned, not a write. Why do some just not get it that regardless of your sex, orientation, beliefs, etc. We are all equal, all with various different skills that give us a wonderful diversity of life and creativity.

Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to share this experience as I have never seen this before here and it just dumbstruck me.

Thank you,

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Looks like a Trax Just Ford Badged. Pretty cool, I totally agree the black out trim is sweet.

2018 Trax Premiere AWD Midnight Edition with interior protection package is $30,415... plus with the blacked out trim package, it only comes in black like a Model T.  Ecosport SES comes in several colors, and it is better equipped than Trax Premiere.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

2018 Trax Premiere AWD Midnight Edition with interior protection package is $30,415... plus with the blacked out trim package, it only comes in black like a Model T.  Ecosport SES comes in several colors, and it is better equipped than Trax Premiere.

Very cool Info, Good to Know, GM now needs to Step up to the plate. But I will say that the Midnight Editions are pretty cool looking. Love Metallic black.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

You go into another's house and you respect that space & it's owner.  Common decency.  A country is no different.  I say you did right by the situation, and also to expect more of this sort of thing in the future.

Much appreciate the response and confirmation. That I how I totally feel too.

My parents raised me to respect the saying, When in Rome, Do as the Romans do.

Always felt people coming here should respect the culture of America.

• Agree 2

On 9/15/2017 at 11:16 AM, surreal1272 said:

See my comment to Drew. It's not so much the blue, even though I would not be caught dead with it. It's the total lack of contrast. Lincoln or Land Rover, it doesn't matter. One shade of blue with no contrast, is no better than an all gray, black, or tan interior. That color would also not age well in the Phoenix heat. 

Yeah the Rover had cream colored piping and stitching as a contrast. Definitrly looked better than 100% blue. 

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

OK, Asking for your thoughts, no offense if you tell me I am full of it. I know this will tow the Political line but since this is the only Forum I am joined too and I really have no one else to ask other than the wife, I would like your guys input.

So I live in one of the most liberal places in the US. Washington State, I am all for the American Dream, Melting pot and wide variety of  heritages, foods, music, etc.

Wife is Korean, both my son and daughter are full Korean, I spend my life around a mixing pot of people.

Today at Taco Time, I ran over to get a quick lunch for my famly. I ordered, sat down in the waiting stools and behind me another woman ordered. 

Than a black man comes in, greeted by the senior lady taking orders and in a heavy accent he says, 

"Get me Man"

The lady clearly states that only woman are working today, what can she get for him. 

At this point I get up, walk up to him and tell him to tone it down, if he wants something to eat, respectfully give his order to the woman. There are no men working. He looks at me and in some foreign language starts to yell at me.

I raise my voice to shut him up as he clearly understands english. I tell him if he cannot respect woman as an equal here in the US and will not work with them or acknowledge them he needs to go home to his original country from where he came.

This just pissed me off that he would 1) treat a woman the way he did. 2) He comes to our country and expects it to be the way it is from where he came from. 3) Try's to act like I should know his language.

He took a step towards me and I just glared down at him and did not budge. He finally left. The counter lady thanked me, as did a couple other people who came in to eat and was waiting to order. One hippie looking woman just glared at me and shook her head leaving me with the impression that I was wrong.

The guy went out, got into his washington licensed car and took off, running over the curb and almost hitting a car coming out of the drive through and then ran over the curb again getting onto the main street 196th and almost hit another car before gunning it and flying down the road.

I am all for accepting people from around the world into our country, but why is it so hard for some to assimilate into our culture and integrate their culture into ours? Why do we not require learning to read, write and speak english before giving a drivers license to a person. This is a privilege earned, not a write. Why do some just not get it that regardless of your sex, orientation, beliefs, etc. We are all equal, all with various different skills that give us a wonderful diversity of life and creativity.

Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to share this experience as I have never seen this before here and it just dumbstruck me.

Thank you,

David

Regardless of culture, we respect each other in the USA. Guy was simply an asshole, no doubt-you did the right thing-stood up for others.

In his case, I'm thinking it's more the asshole thing.....

I'm usually a pretty cool guy, but I have a feeling I would have done the same....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

You go into another's house and you respect that space & it's owner.  Common decency.  A country is no different.  I say you did right by the situation, and also to expect more of this sort of thing in the future.

Absolutely!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

@dfelt 

I am a naturalized citizen, and when I decided to stay in this country and build here my family and my home, it came with understanding that I have to live and respect the laws and traditions of this country.  It seems that some people mistakenly feel that they are entitled to freedom and respect, without giving it back.

I am not much for words but I think you did a great thing standing up to that guy.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

On 9/15/2017 at 1:30 PM, Cmicasa the Great said:

1) According to U.. considering U are wanting to buy an ATS so bad.. I mean if it isn;t the best car in the class in YOUR opinion.. why U pining for one?

One can like and want a car and still acknowledge its shortcomings. 

They didn't,.. and BENCH-MARK is not copying. 

Okay, they BENCH-MARKED the car, then also BENCH-MARKED the dimensions. 

3) No.. sorry. Perhaps if we were talking about BMW's 6 vs the LLT 3.6L.. or maybe even the LFX.. but the LGX is a very sweet engine.. and the power comes in quite nicely (even the LFX in my Impala is very nice..) and as long as U know how to drive U can render quite a few supposed extra tenths that BMW has on it pointless in the 0-60 contests

Blah Blah Blah... The ATS's engines are inferior to the BMW engines. Numbers don't lie. These are autos which there is little to no skill needed to run the best times. Brake torque, foot to floor, ATS is slower. 

BTW.. I see your 0-60 claims are coming from the 4 year old version of the ATS not the ACTUAL car that's on sale TODAY. The current car's performance numbers are much improved over those due to a new Tranny (edit... I see Drew schooled U)

Yes, because that is what they dropped the car with. They released it with a worse engine/trans lineup.  Even with the updated tune(I forget which year it was they retuned it for slightly more hp/tq) and the 8spd it is slower than the BMW. I'll give you its a negligible amount at that point but slower is slower and that took how many years to get? BMW handled the ATS's engine lineup for 4 years(?) before they gave it what the BMW already had.  

13 hours ago, dfelt said:

"Get me Man"

Thank you,

David

I don't think you were in the wrong at all. It sounds like you just stood up for somebody who was being disrespected for absolutely no reason. Good job on your part! 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, dfelt said:

"Get me Man"

Thank you,

David

Good points but in fairness, I have dealt with some US born fundamentalist types who are much the same way (looking at some in the southern baptist community) as the man you speak of and they make no apologies for it. Like Dave said, the guy was just an asshole regardless of his culture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, ocnblu said:

And I like the idear of a swing-out tailgate... means I can open it inside my garage with the garage door open, no clearance problems.

One of the few things I like about our '04 CR-V is the more convenient swing out tailgate.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Good points but in fairness, I have dealt with some US born fundamentalist types who are much the same way (looking at some in the southern baptist community) as the man you speak of and they make no apologies for it. Like Dave said, the guy was just an asshole regardless of his culture.

Quoted for truth.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

One of the few things I like about our '04 CR-V is the more convenient swing out tailgate.

...and with a positive comment about this vehicle from you, yes the world really will end tonight at eleven pm.  That crazy bearded hippie guy dressed in a bed sheet with a sign was right about the apocalypse after all

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Quoted for truth.

...and with a positive comment about this vehicle from you, yes the world really will end tonight at eleven pm.  That crazy bearded hippie guy dressed in a bed sheet with a sign was right about the apocalypse after all

About which vehicle? The Honda or the Ford?

If it's the Honda.... my overall opinion of it hasn't changed, but I have to admit it got me from Pittsburgh to Florida and back with zero issues.  I do like the swing out door and wish more Crossovers offered them.  The killer app would be a GM wagon style two piece hatch that could swing out or turn into a tailgate.  I'd love to see that concept on a modern crossover. 

009.jpg

81impwaggate.jpg

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've found the power hatch on my Jeep is fine for most circumstances, though opening and closing it is a bit slow.    Still may have some clearance issues in some situations.    

Check your owner's manual.  If you have a rear backup camera, I think the door is able to automatically sense impending doom and stop before it hits your garage roof. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Check your owner's manual.  If you have a rear backup camera, I think the door is able to automatically sense impending doom and stop before it hits your garage roof. 

Good... hopefully I can get it in the garage before the first snow.  

Having had a 2-way tailgate GM  in the family growing up ('77 Pontiac Safari), they really were the best of both worlds, and so simple it's puzzling why almost no one offers that now. I also like the older tailgate split split where the top half opens up and the bottom drops- much easier to drive with the rear open if you need to, vs. a one-piece lift door.

• Agree 2

The Honda.  I am starting to think Honda is sort of like the religious theocracy in Iran, a self curing problem once people realize the existential level of pain they ahve put myself into.

My good friend garret was extremely proud of his Civic when he bought it a year and a half ago, family works for Honda, etc. Now he is trying to put every spare dime into paying it off so he can buy a Silverado.

His 67 Chevrolet truck (restored) was stolen and wrecked and he would like to replace two vehicles with one.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Having had a 2-way tailgate GM  in the family growing up ('77 Pontiac Safari), they really were the best of both worlds, and so simple it's puzzling why almost no one offers that now. I also like the older tailgate split split where the top half opens up and the bottom drops- much easier to drive with the rear open if you need to, vs. a one-piece lift door.

Seventies wagons were the cats ass....nothing today compares in some ways.

One thing older SUVs had that was sometimes useful was the flip-up rear glass, that could be opened independently of the hatch.  My '88 Bronco II had it, my '00 JGC had it.  Jeep stopped offering them on the GC with the '14 MCE.     I only used it a few times on my old GC, but it was useful in hauling home a 60 inch TV and another time a ladder...

Another thing I liked were the power rear glass that went down in the hatch or tailgate on the 4Runners, not sure if they still have that feature..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

One thing older SUVs had that was sometimes useful was the flip-up rear glass, that could be opened independently of the hatch.  My '88 Bronco II had it, my '00 JGC had it.  Jeep stopped offering them on the GC with the '14 MCE.     I only used it a few times on my old GC, but it was useful in hauling home a 60 inch TV and another time a ladder...

Another thing I liked were the power rear glass that went down in the hatch or tailgate on the 4Runners, not sure if they still have that feature..

The 4Runners do still have that feature. Very handy indeed. 

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Our CR-V has it.  The big GM SUVs have it too

On 9/17/2017 at 7:54 PM, dfelt said:

Looks like a Trax Just Ford Badged. Pretty cool, I totally agree the black out trim is sweet.

Ironically, the EcoSport debuted before the Trax, just not in the US.  It was a Euro only model.

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

The '11 Liberty @ my house has it, but being frameless it 'feels' too prone to breakage to leave it up.

Does Volvo still have that 2/3rds/ 1/3rd flip down 'gate'? Guy I know has what he calls his 'truck' (lol) but I don't know offhand what model or how old it is.

The new XC90 and XC60 do not

Crazy Town forcing guy to sell auto collection. Some pretty cool cars including a Buick with a Straight 8 engine.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/a-michigan-town-is-forcing-this-man-to-sell-20-old-cars-off-his-property-every-month/ar-AAs9snb?li=BBnb7Kz#image=AAs9snb_3|3

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

About which vehicle? The Honda or the Ford?

If it's the Honda.... my overall opinion of it hasn't changed, but I have to admit it got me from Pittsburgh to Florida and back with zero issues.  I do like the swing out door and wish more Crossovers offered them.  The killer app would be a GM wagon style two piece hatch that could swing out or turn into a tailgate.  I'd love to see that concept on a modern crossover. 

009.jpg

81impwaggate.jpg

I think GM needs to bring back what was on the full size vans. Tilt up glass with Mini Stage Coach doors.

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

GMC Safari with Dutch Doors would be cool to have on CUV's.

GMC_Safari_Dutch_Doors.jpg

31 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Dutch doors are definitely the best of both worlds. The older Suburbans used to have them as well (early and mid 90s models I believe). 

Suburbans and Tahoes had barn doors--not split in the middle but two doors opening left and right. 

• Like 1

New Potus Limo almost ready. Still built on Topkick chassis, Duramax engine and refined Cadillac CT6 / Escalade looks.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/what-happened-cadillac-presidential-limo-spied-testing-almost-white-house-ready/ar-AAsaYL7?li=BBnb7Kz

Total of 13 pictures in the story.

PotusRide.jpg

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

New Potus Limo almost ready. Still built on Topkick chassis, Duramax engine and refined Cadillac CT6 / Escalade looks.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/what-happened-cadillac-presidential-limo-spied-testing-almost-white-house-ready/ar-AAsaYL7?li=BBnb7Kz

Total of 13 pictures in the story.

PotusRide.jpg

Wonder if the interior will have gold plated trim and marble floors...like one of Trump's tacky mansions. 

40 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Suburbans and Tahoes had barn doors--not split in the middle but two doors opening left and right. 

I swore I've seen some older commercial model Suburbans (before Tahoe existed) that had them but maybe I'm getting a little foggy in my old age. Still love the concept and wish more SUVs had them. It's that versatility that I'm such a fan of.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I swore I've seen some older commercial model Suburbans (before Tahoe existed) that had them but maybe I'm getting a little foggy in my old age. Still love the concept and wish more SUVs had them. It's that versatility that I'm such a fan of.

Some of the old ones had a split rear with swing up rear window and fold down tailgate...the barn doors were available into the 2000s, but I don't recall ever seeing one with dutch doors...(pics below of '67-72 style with barn doors and one with flip up rear window)

maxresdefault-12.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

11 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Totally agree, my 1994 GMC Suburban SLE has the stage coach doors and while I never saw Dutch Doors on Suburbans, I always wished they did have them as I think it is the ultimate way to protect against mother nature while making it easy to get things into the auto.

Would also reduce the electronics as you would not need a motor to lift that humongo tailgate.

13 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Some of the old ones had a split rear with swing up rear window and fold down tailgate...the barn doors were available into the 2000s, but I don't recall ever seeing one with dutch doors...(pics below of '67-72 style with barn doors and one with flip up rear window)

maxresdefault-12.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

Yeah, after a little research I realize that was not the case. It could have easily been done on those though. It was the best upsell of the old Astros and Safaris. Maybe they are not available and practical (economically speaking) because of the extra weight in this CAFE age? 

^ This must be an older one then.

volvo-xc90-7.jpg

Unconventional to a degree in that the horizontal split isn't at the beltline, but halfway into the body. Saw a pic of a BMW (X5 I think) done the same way. Another option... tho the dual-action gate is still the most versatile.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 2

GM/Buick are IDIOTIC for not only not offering a hardtop of the Cascada and more power.. but not marketing it really at all. What a fantastic looking car.. and it drives very nice let me tell U. Definitely not a speed demon , but will do nicely against as a cruiser. The 1.6L Turbo should be upgraded to the 2.0L T from the Regal. This car would be just like that.. so much better IMO.. and look right at home sitting nect to the NEW Regal

00-2016-buick-cascada.jpg

2018-Buick-Regal-GS-front-side-view.jpg?

• Like 1

@smk4565

You will love this, a guy who could not get BMW to fix his M6 and took a Sledgehammer to it then restored it to like new after BMW said they would look at his issues again, they must have come to terms as they put him into a E65 7 series and yet that also had issues that the dealership could not or would not fix. Finally after the last two years of hell he drove the auto to the BMW Corp Headquarters and lit it on fire. He is now driving a MB S350.

He also in 2015 after BMW would not fix issues with his Z3 drove it to the company headquarters and lit it on fire too.

Full Story here

Police could not do anything since he burned his own auto and accuses BMW of Defrauding him and others.

What I don't get is why he is expecting BMW to responsible for issues with an old car...that 7 series is from about 15 years ago....the guy is obviously mentally ill, he should move on and buy a Toyota..

• Haha 1

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

What I don't get is why he is expecting BMW to responsible for issues with an old car...that 7 series is from about 15 years ago....the guy is obviously mentally ill, he should move on and buy a Toyota..

He would burn those down too....engine oil sludge problems...that Toyota totally blamed the owners...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@smk4565

You will love this, a guy who could not get BMW to fix his M6 and took a Sledgehammer to it then restored it to like new after BMW said they would look at his issues again, they must have come to terms as they put him into a E65 7 series and yet that also had issues that the dealership could not or would not fix. Finally after the last two years of hell he drove the auto to the BMW Corp Headquarters and lit it on fire. He is now driving a MB S350.

He also in 2015 after BMW would not fix issues with his Z3 drove it to the company headquarters and lit it on fire too.

Full Story here

Police could not do anything since he burned his own auto and accuses BMW of Defrauding him and others.

A smart man.  That era 7 series was a terrible car, look at how ugly it is.  The 90s 7-series actually looks newer if you put those 2 side bye side.

Put New Tires on the Escalade and Trailblazer today. Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Talk about a Quiet tire and looks sharp. Really like the quality.

$929.15 installed on the Escalade

$982.14 installed on the Trailblazer

Got $140 in rebate visa cards. Free installation, road hazard warranty. 

Gotta say Discount Tire is beating Costco on price, service and customer experience. Loving it! :metal: 

• Agree 1

^ Looking to get new tires for my Jeep before winter..the original Goodyear Forteras are pretty worn at 30k (pretty soft tires I've read).  I want something that will be good in NE Ohio winters...  will have to look into the Michelins..was thinking about Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs also.

In 170k on my old GC  IIRC I had 3 sets of Goodyear tires--one set of Forteras and 2 sets of Wranglers ( got about 50k out of the original factory set), and a set of BF Goodrich Long Trail (the last set, bought in AZ and never in snow).  Got the BFs at Discount Tire in Phoenix, had great service and prices. 

• Like 1