Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

I'm just glad to be out of the fuckin' fecal desert and in a cold climate for Thanksgiving and Christmas again.    My Jeep is ready for winter--new tires, floor mats, shovel, ice scraper.  And since I'm working from home 100%, I can be selective about when I go out..

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'm just glad to be out of the f@#kin' fecal desert and in a cold climate for Thanksgiving and Christmas again.    My Jeep is ready for winter--new tires, floor mats, shovel, ice scraper.  And since I'm working from home 100%, I can be selective about when I go out..

There is really no other way to celebrate these holidays actually. I dont mind the snow. Its just the 1st snowfall of the season that I might grunt at. And in March. By the time St. Patrick's Day arrives, Im itching for it to end. LOL

I love snowstorms. I love being in them. Driving in them (when Im practically the only dude on the road though) or watching the snow fall intensely from inside my home.

I love ice skating (with my kids)...

I dont mind winter at all.

What I dont like is the  -4 to -40 Farhenheit weather.

• Agree 2

On 11/19/2017 at 7:32 PM, balthazar said:

oh HELL no!
I don't kno how you Canucks do it.

I dont know how in the hell we do it!

Regina, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary...even Quebec City. I dont know how these folk do it! Montreal does not have it as bad as those cities...

The State Minnesota almost gets that cold too, right?

I think the lyrics to this song is how we do it!

Hey ho, let's go! hey ho, let's go!
Hey ho, let's go! hey ho, let's go!
They're forming in straight line
They're going through a tight wind
The kids are losing their minds
The blitzkrieg bop
They're piling in the back seat
They're generating steam heat

Pulsating to the back beat
The blitzkrieg bop

Body heat...baby! Body heat!
I know that I helped plenty of ski bunnies keep warm many a frozen night. 

I now want to play the song, because I like pulsating to that back beat.
So...hey ho...LETS GO!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

Had a year old Hyundai Santa Fe Sport as rental on our family vacation last week. Did over 250 miles on highway and some city driving.  Not a bad car even in the base form, good amount of space, large trunk.  Base seats are just ok, not bad but not super comfortable either.  Connecting and streaming music through Bluetooth was easy and worked well.  Handling was decent  but steering is very vague, to the point when it was hard to keep the car in lane, and I never had that problem in any car I have driven before.  Steering totally killed it for me.  

Random CUV observation--the new CR-V has cool taillights..been behind 3 of them at night over the last week...the horizontal elements remind me of recent BMWs, but then the turn signals (amber) and brake lights (red) are vertical elements shooting upward out of the horizontal part....

5 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Random CUV observation--the new CR-V has cool taillights..been behind 3 of them at night over the last week...the horizontal elements remind me of recent BMWs, but then the turn signals (amber) and brake lights (red) are vertical elements shooting upward out of the horizontal part....

I thought they reminded me of Volvo. :P 

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Armed and ready for the holidays

IMG_20171121_191223.jpg

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot;
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

What is the correlation between this historic event (or movie...) and the inscription on the flask?

6 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot;
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

What is the correlation between this historic event (or movie...) and the inscription on the flask?

My best friend, who is a lover of history and irony, got married on the 5th of November 2016.  This was his gift to me for being his best man. 

• Agree 3

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

That is cool!

Did he have cannons go off as soon as he said I do? :D

No... he and his wife did something related to some video game they play that I don't remember. There were two weapons on the altar, one of which was a pipe wrench.... apparently this is the first weapon you get in the game.  It was symbolizing them going into battle together. It was a very un-traditional wedding. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No... he and his wife did something related to some video game they play that I don't remember. There were two weapons on the altar, one of which was a pipe wrench.... apparently this is the first weapon you get in the game.  It was symbolizing them going into battle together. It was a very un-traditional wedding. 

That is also cool.

Traditional wedding rings symbolize love and eternity and when one a couple exchange wedding rings, they are exchanging their love for each other forever...or something to that effect. This tradition is awesome, but it has become too generic. I could see why a couple would go down an un-traditional route.

Getting married today with all kinds of crap that life throws at you does seem like a battle! I like that your buddy and his wife chose a very personal and dear thing that they do TOGETHER and symbolize that for THEIR wedding!

Interesting, just saw this on Green Car Report that NextEV from China that built their Nio EV SUV based on Tesla patents has secured from various sources both in China and the US over $1 billion to build and ship their first RWD EV  SUV. The company claims they will have Toyota Cost and quality with Tesla battery range.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1113856_chinese-electric-car-startup-nio-gets-1-billion-in-funding-report

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Since they did not show the engine bay and no exhaust can handle the output of heat and exhaust flame being from coke cans, I have to question that this is really a conversion since you do not see any exhaust. 

Easier to sync up engine sounds to the quiet tesla.

I have to question the whole list at the end especially since it is a shop that is a pizza and pasta shop on top of welding with an american name yet European license plate.

:glare:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Since they did not show the engine bay and no exhaust can handle the output of heat and exhaust flame being from coke cans, I have to question that this is really a conversion since you do not see any exhaust. 

Easier to sync up engine sounds to the quiet tesla.

I have to question the whole list at the end especially since it is a shop that is a pizza and pasta shop on top of welding with an american name yet European license plate.

:glare:

You're such an innocent creature, Mr. dfelt.  :AH-HA:

• Haha 1

Had a nice turkey day yesterday, didn't overeat.  Good food, hung out w/ my siblings, chilled out and watched a few football games... nice sunny morning, think I'll take a drive along the North Coast today and see some beaches and lighthouses.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I have yet to ever spend money on Cyber Monday. I have not seen any deals that make me want to go and buy. Weird as billions is supposedly spent on this day.

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/technology/article/Stores-hoping-people-keep-shopping-offer-Cyber-12385191.php

3 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Black Friday, Cyber Monday, all bullshit marketing nonsense to get people to buy crap they don't need.   

So true and no matter what is listed, nothing makes me feel that i have to have it or go buy it.

https://www.bing.com/shop/adscan?q=weekly ads&setmkt=en-us&FORM=MY00DW&OCID=MY00DW&wt.mc_id=MY00DW

Maybe I am just burnt out on the marketing push of  buy buy buy now now now you gotta have it today crap.

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Maybe I am just burnt out on the marketing push of  buy buy buy now now now you gotta have it today crap.

Ya.. I have plenty of stuff...I get stuff when I need it or want it, not in response to advertising.  Did all my holiday shopping over the weekend...at a couple wineries, on eBay and on Amazon.     No waiting in lines or other nonsense. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ya.. I have plenty of stuff...I get stuff when I need it or want it, not in response to advertising.  Did all my holiday shopping over the weekend...at a couple wineries, on eBay and on Amazon.     No waiting in lines or other nonsense. 

Yep, had to admit I did my shopping online this weekend....

Still plan to shop in stores though, as I would like to still have the choice to shop in store. It's part of my issue with all the online hype. Since I was laid off some months back-sadly stuck in the retail hole again (hoping not for long). While times had to change (needed of course), It seems like people are hoping for just a flat out death of retail in general. Found it interesting that one of the best selling items over the weekend here was amazon gift cards (many places were sold out of them)

Add to the fact the there is no way the retail can compete (for that profit on wall street), and you know what ends up happening. And then when you are the only game in town, things will change....

On 11/26/2017 at 7:13 PM, balthazar said:

Carriage Garage 1.png

I could so live here....

On 11/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Black Friday, Cyber Monday, all bullshit marketing nonsense to get people to buy crap they don't need.   

Absolutely.

Cadillac Destroyed the competition in GT Racing this year as it came to a close.

http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/cadillac/racing.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2017/oct/cadillac-racing/1007-championship.html?evar36=MRM_eml_ca_hr_Racing_eNews2_1117_15146153038

Seems BMW and MB need to step up their game if they want to be serious about being a driving machine! :P 

• Agree 1