Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

So, an interesting rumor I hear...

Found out GM trademarked the name "Cavalier" again.....though this time it also includes the US.

Knowing that the both the Sonic and Spark get the ax in the very near future- makes me wonder if the Cavalier is coming back as a simple sedan (like the Versa) and replace the Cruze, Sonic, and the Spark.

I know Nissan is going to chase the youth market with affordable tech and style- maybe GM could be thinking the same?

(and yes, bring that same one they use in china and elseware....

The China market Cavalier is available in Mexico where it replaced the Sonic..don't know if they are shipping it from China or not.  From what I've read, it's a rebodied 1st gen Cruze.   It's now Chevy's largest sedan in Mexico (they used to sell the Cruze, Malibu and Impala there but not now apparently). 

https://www.chevrolet.com.mx/autos/cavalier-auto-familiar

Edited by Robert Hall

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

So, an interesting rumor I hear...

Found out GM trademarked the name "Cavalier" again.....though this time it also includes the US.

Knowing that the both the Sonic and Spark get the ax in the very near future- makes me wonder if the Cavalier is coming back as a simple sedan (like the Versa) and replace the Cruze, Sonic, and the Spark.

I know Nissan is going to chase the youth market with affordable tech and style- maybe GM could be thinking the same?

(and yes, bring that same one they use in china and elseware....

Would totally make sense to use some old hardware, with new tech like Nissan and go after the youth market with a cheap cost car. That is the only way to get butts in the seats again.

36 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The China market Cavalier is available in Mexico where it replaced the Sonic..don't know if they are shipping it from China or not.  From what I've read, it's a rebodied 1st gen Cruze.   It's now Chevy's largest sedan in Mexico (they used to sell the Cruze, Malibu and Impala there but not now apparently). 

https://www.chevrolet.com.mx/autos/cavalier-auto-familiar

Love the look in their brown color.

Chevrolet Cavalier 2019, family car, amber coffee

Chevrolet Cavalier 2019 family car, has seats in leather touch with inserts in leather and air conditioning

Damn sharp interior for this car.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Would totally make sense to use some old hardware, with new tech like Nissan and go after the youth market with a cheap cost car. That is the only way to get butts in the seats again.

it's similar to but different from the 2015 China market Cruze.  Which is similar to but different from the 2nd gen US Cruze.    The white China Cruze looks better because it doesn't have the cheesy black C-pillar trim that GM loves.

all-new-chevrolet-cruze-went-on-sale-in-china-85823_1.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

New Encore and Encore GX look great, imo.  GM has finally figured out how to design a GLOBAL Buick, instead of a regional one (Envision, I'm looking at YOU in my head).  I think both variations could be sold here successfully, if they are built in North America.  Good job!

Edited by ocnblu

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

New Encore and Encore GX look great, imo.  GM has finally figured out how to design a GLOBAL Buick, instead of a regional one (Envision, I'm looking at YOU in my head).  I think both variations could be sold here successfully, if there are built in North America.  Good job!

:worthless:

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/chinas-2020-buick-encore-ii-to-sit-alongside-new-chevrolet-tracker/

if this really is a new Tracker / Trax, that will be a homerun for Chevy

image.png

image.png

image.png

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That is really sharp looking and would look good on the whole family of CUVs.

2020 Buick Encore for China

2020 Buick Encore GX for China

i wonder if they could update the regal sportback and tourx with the front end design of the orange one

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dfelt said:

Chevrolet Cavalier 2019 family car, has seats in leather touch with inserts in leather and air conditioning

Damn sharp interior for this car.

Is it wrong to say I’d be all over that??

Older tech or not, for a solid price I’d take one.....

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Is it wrong to say I’d be all over that??

Older tech or not, for a solid price I’d take one.....

Nope not at all,  I think many would take a less tech car at a low price point to drive a new reliable ride. After all for an entry level auto, it does not need all the bells and whistles as it is a starter car. Hell if they did this at 12-15,000 with manual door locks and manual windows, it would still sell.

This entitlement crap has to end by accepting that you have to work and earn it and it is not given to you. Welcome to the start of your life is my attitude.

Heck I would be happy to drive this if I could fit in it as it would be a great commuter and run about car.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Nope not at all,  I think many would take a less tech car at a low price point to drive a new reliable ride. After all for an entry level auto, it does not need all the bells and whistles as it is a starter car. Hell if they did this at 12-15,000 with manual door locks and manual windows, it would still sell.

This entitlement crap has to end by accepting that you have to work and earn it and it is not given to you. Welcome to the start of your life is my attitude.

Heck I would be happy to drive this if I could fit in it as it would be a great commuter and run about car.

Kinda my thoughts too...I tend to like the simple stuff anyways.. 🙂 

Also helps that I have a 15 year old Cavalier too....

• Agree 1

On 4/15/2019 at 8:54 AM, Robert Hall said:

it's similar to but different from the 2015 China market Cruze.  Which is similar to but different from the 2nd gen US Cruze.    The white China Cruze looks better because it doesn't have the cheesy black C-pillar trim that GM loves.

all-new-chevrolet-cruze-went-on-sale-in-china-85823_1.jpg

I like the grille, belt line character lines, and lower body character lines better on the gold/brown one.  I like the roof line and lower front lighting better on the white one.  It is very sad that we're losing the current Cruze.  When in SoCal, a Chevy salesperson told me that they don't have any problems selling them, whereas the Impalas move off the floor somewhat slowly.  As we already know, it's the profit issue and not the volume issue.  There's no GM car in the compact to midsize slot at this point.  Meh.  Maybe the Malibu is a mid-size even though rental car agencies consider them full-sizes.  Funny thing is that the 'Bu isn't leaps and bounds above the Cruze in road manners, refinement, and comfortable driving.

Edit:  those brown colors for the exterior and interior are nice.  It's about time that the tans offered for the exterior no longer look like metallic urine samples and the tans offered for the interior no longer look a few shades off white and prone to showing stains.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I like the grille, belt line character lines, and lower body character lines better on the gold/brown one.  I like the roof line and lower front lighting better on the white one.  It is very sad that we're losing the current Cruze.  When in SoCal, a Chevy salesperson told me that they don't have any problems selling them, whereas the Impalas move off the floor somewhat slowly.  As we already know, it's the profit issue and not the volume issue.  There's no GM car in the compact to midsize slot at this point.  Meh.  Maybe the Malibu is a mid-size even though rental car agencies consider them full-sizes.  Funny thing is that the 'Bu isn't leaps and bounds above the Cruze in road manners, refinement, and comfortable driving.

Edit:  those brown colors for the exterior and interior are nice.  It's about time that the tans offered for the exterior no longer look like metallic urine samples and the tans offered for the interior no longer look a few shades off white and prone to showing stains.

Of course the Cruze would sell faster in SoCal than the Impala.  Gas prices are about $1 higher in CA than almost everywhere else in the United States (excluding HI).

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Of course the Cruze would sell faster in SoCal than the Impala.  Gas prices are about $1 higher in CA than almost everywhere else in the United States (excluding HI).

That's true, especially right now.  What I read into it was that people in SoCal who are house poor need to spend less money on wheels (the big canyon between the haves and have nots that is getting wider all the time) AND that the Cruze approximates a foreign compact to some degree while the unmistakably American big Impala sedan does not at all.

The aerial views of the open roof at Notre-Dame in Paris after the fire are distressing.  The roof along the entire nave has collapsed and took the central spire with it.  There was scaffolding around the spire in the center, so some type of maintenance work must have been going on.  Now they will be looking for answers.  

I'm sure many are thinking of making some type of donation, no matter how small.  If the donations go over the needed amount, one would only hope it goes into a fund to keep future restoration and maintenance going. Visiting it, and Paris, are among those things a person doesn't easily forget.  Also, this happening within a week of Easter is bad, bad news.

Notre-Dame-Cathedral-after-the-fire.-gig

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Don't even TRY to make excuses for this, Barra.  #gmretreatfromamerica

Thank you for posting them, after watching them I can clearly see why they are not on sale here. The potential is such limited as most people would rather have a King cab or crew cab model over this and those seats look so uncomfortable. Kinda slab like.

Very cool that they have an RST and Z71 version of a standard cab short bed truck, but how many would really sell here. 🤔

Course I do get the thinking, they build it and sell it in Mexico, so how hard is it to offer to sell it hear and have it on the catalog as an option. At least give the dealerships the CHOICE. Let the market prove if there is or is not sales of a standard cab short bed.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Can you get the light-up Bowtie in the US?

Yes I believe so.  I still see a good number of shortbed, regular cab trucks, in high trim levels, running around, most of them are Z71 models.  The profit potential is tremendous.  And with Barra being a slave to the shareholders, I see no reason what.so.ever why this bodystyle is not sold in the USA this time around.

1 minute ago, ocnblu said:

Yes I believe so.  I still see a good number of shortbed, regular cab trucks, in high trim levels, running around, most of them are Z71 models.  The profit potential is tremendous.  And with Barra being a slave to the shareholders, I see no reason what.so.ever why this bodystyle is not sold in the USA this time around.

I agree that I also do not see why not to sell it being assembly is so close to home. Yet I also understand if the dealers feel the profit levels and what the customers are wanting does not justify this. 

I still think they should allow customers to order them if they want and wait to get it built and shipped in.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I just grew an inch:  2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman Power Wagon in Black Forest Pearl, $50,630.  SO MUCH WANT.

97659e1f-a9c9-4d51-809b-0c74ba22452b.png

You found your Green Woodie! :D 

Having a hell of a time finding parking brake hardware for 11x2.5-in MoPar drums. 
Don't want/need concourse-quality, correct-coded pieces at $70/2 stamped steel arms.
EDIT : found some at $30/set. Still: sheesh.
- - - - -
'56 DeSoto ~ 

56 DeSoto int2.jpg

Edited by balthazar

12 hours ago, regfootball said:

Local dealer sent out a new ad!  All wheel drive Focus for only 16 grand!?  Where do I sign up???? When did they start making AWD Focus?

894FBDC2-DFEC-4D5F-BB86-1EE1E8B894C0.jpeg

Hahaha 

That reminds me, I saw a local commercial and had to rewind it and pause it because it was a Ford commercial for a Ford ECHOSport. That's right. They typed EchoSport and not EcoSport. I'll see if I still have the picture on my phone. 

14 hours ago, regfootball said:

Local dealer sent out a new ad!  All wheel drive Focus for only 16 grand!?  Where do I sign up???? When did they start making AWD Focus?

894FBDC2-DFEC-4D5F-BB86-1EE1E8B894C0.jpeg

That is a lawsuit for here in Washington. OUCH, if ya can get it, go for it!  :lol:

52 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That is a lawsuit for here in Washington. OUCH, if ya can get it, go for it!  :lol:

What would the suit be for? That's pretty ridiculous if somebody can win a lawsuit over that. 
The only way I see a lawsuit over that is if they're actually trying to sell them as AWD. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Usually there is a disclaimer at the bottom that says "Not responsible for typographical errors"

Here in this state, the ads due to crazy laws to protect consumers will talk about a product line starting at a price point, but clearly states see dealership for details / feature functions of specific models via VIN #.

An add like posted above would not be allowed. You have to show a real picture of the auto with the vin number and specific features that vin auto has.

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What would the suit be for? That's pretty ridiculous if somebody can win a lawsuit over that. 
The only way I see a lawsuit over that is if they're actually trying to sell them as AWD. 

That is the lawsuit right there, they advertise a car with AWD that we know is not true. That would be considered bait n switch here in Washington. As I stated above to Drew, you can only advertise a specific car with stated VIN number and the details about that vin auto.

Generic ads or models posted that way with a generic number of the so called auto in stock is not allowed. 

Defined advertising while making it a bit more work to advertise a product, protects the consumer and the dealer better.

Fck, I'm glad I don't live in that state. I can't imagine how the rest of your laws are as well. 

I have never seen a VIN listed in an advertisement. 

Actually, I'd like to see one of these ads with a VIN on it advertising for only that specific vehicle. 

The very first Seattle Cadillac dealer link I clicked on, then clicked Cadillac, and the top vehicle is listed without an actual picture. 

Cadillac of Seattle.PNG

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Fck, I'm glad I don't live in that state. I can't imagine how the rest of your laws are as well. 

Actually, I'd like to see one of these ads with a VIN on it advertising for only that specific vehicle. 

The very first Seattle Cadillac dealer link I clicked on, then clicked Cadillac, and the top vehicle is listed without an actual picture. 

Cadillac of Seattle.PNG

I see VINs listed sometimes for an example payment, but also with the statement that "other similar vehicles also available"

@ccap41... that..... that has a VIN.

When I search the inventory at my local CDJR dealer, I see the VIN numbers listed with each vehicle they have in stock.   The photos appear to be stock corporate promo photos on some of them, though.  Some vehicles have real pics.

Edited by Robert Hall

27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've never heard of such strict advertising rules.... so do I need a VIN for the Reeses cups they want me to buy?

hahahahahaha, not at this time. But then retail does have strict rules here. 

An example is that I bought a new safe for the home, big fireproof safe that Business costco has in stock and someone put a wrong sign on it with a crazy low price. I saw it, was half the normal selling price and I bought one. They removed the sign to correct it, but a company here is held accountable for any price they put on a product even if it is the wrong product, so pricing labels are a hard to change type sticky label so that consumers cannot change them but holds the company accountable for proper pricing and this is also carried over to ads so consumers are not screwed by false advertising.

When I used to work for Computer City and then CompUSA, ads here in Washington was a very tedious job to insure you had the right info in the ad before going to print.

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Cadillac of Seattle.PNG

The real photo is allowed to use a OEM supplied image as long as the VIN number and details of what is on the auto is there. That is pretty normal as you see there for the web. If you looked at the Seattle Times newspaper, you will only see actual photo's of the auto with the VIN for what is being advertised.

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I bought a new safe for the home, big fireproof safe that Business costco has in stock and someone put a wrong sign on it with a crazy low price. I saw it, was half the normal selling price and I bought one. They removed the sign to correct it, but a company here is held accountable for any price they put on a product even if it is the wrong product, so pricing labels are a hard to change type sticky label so that consumers cannot change them but holds the company accountable for proper pricing and this is also carried over to ads so consumers are not screwed by false advertising.

No laws protecting the company from getting screwed by advertising?

Edited by balthazar