Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

6 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Right.  I may have even test driven this car (road hum, if I recall) when it was released.  They can work with this and the 1999 concept and bring it forward to 2020 or 2021.  If they plan to keep the law enforcement market, the size and shape of the greenhouse will be critical.

Well, they have gone a different direction w/ the Charger...I don't think we will see ideas from 2 decades ago re-surfacing..

• Thanks 1

Friend of mine just bought a CPO 2018 Audi. After the fact, they are offering them a 4yr all maintenance paid for only $1000. While sounds like a good deal, he sent me the PDF they sent him and am shocked at an auto line of products that has to have so much done in service every year. This alone makes Audi a NO GO for me no matter what even the electric as I see 1980's thinking here in service of an auto.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Haha 1

@Robert Hall I hope it's a good direction, whatever it may be.  They are keeping the lid on this next design real tight. 

Meanwhile, the prospective solutions for Lordstown (previous home of the Cruze) will certainly not be a "one size fits all" solution.  Some do not know and/or do not trust the possible new tenant, a manufacturer of electrical "mobility" products.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

@Robert Hall I hope it's a good direction, whatever it may be.  They are keeping the lid on this next design real tight. 

Meanwhile, the prospective solutions for Lordstown (previous home of the Cruze) will certainly not be a "one size fits all" solution.  Some do not know and/or do not trust the possible new tenant, a manufacturer of electrical "mobility" products.

I have a feeling there won't be a 'next design' anytime soon...I think they will just keep upgrading the current model indefinitely, along w/ the Challenger...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I have a feeling there won't be a 'next design' anytime soon...I think they will just keep upgrading the current model indefinitely, along w/ the Challenger...

I could be o.k. with that.  Sort of.

Also, David Beckham can't drive for 6 months.  Great to see he's not above the law.

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, they have gone a different direction w/ the Charger...I don't think we will see ideas from 2 decades ago re-surfacing..

IMO, the '96 ESX is still more advanced/ futuristic than both the current Charger and every other sedan on the market. It's not so much 'an idea from 20 yrs ago' as it is 'an idea that still hasn't arrived yet'.

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

IMO, the '96 ESX is still more advanced/ futuristic than both the current Charger and every other sedan on the market. It's not so much 'an idea from 20 yrs ago' as it is 'an idea that still hasn't arrived yet'.

It was a great design, quite futuristic and the Powertrain was an advanced hybrid IIRC.  But I don’t see FCA going back to the future.  Maybe the next Charger will be a crossover sedan. 

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It was a great design, quite futuristic and the Powertrain was an advanced hybrid IIRC.  But I don’t see FCA going back to the future.  Maybe the next Charger will be a crossover sedan. 

But they already have that, the Durango.

I could see something like this for the next refresh of the charger.

See the source image

Or do you mean something like this? ;)

See the source image

Course they could go the V60 or V90 Crossover route but then just might as well bring back the Eagle. :P 

• Sad 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:21 AM, dfelt said:

Friend of mine just bought a CPO 2018 Audi. After the fact, they are offering them a 4yr all maintenance paid for only $1000. While sounds like a good deal, he sent me the PDF they sent him and am shocked at an auto line of products that has to have so much done in service every year. This alone makes Audi a NO GO for me no matter what even the electric as I see 1980's thinking here in service of an auto.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Never in a million years. Audi can keep that nonsense. 

• Agree 1

On May 9, 2019 at 11:29 AM, Robert Hall said:

...I don't think we will see ideas from 2 decades ago re-surfacing..

You mean new inline 6 cylinder gas engines? Ooops- that's a 10 decade old idea. ;)
- - - - -
Vacation time- don't forget your sunglasses, Dad!

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.26.23 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

You mean new inline 6 cylinder gas engines? Ooops- that's a 10 decade old idea. ;) 

Odd..I didn't say anything about engines..was talking about the Intrepid cab forward styling and Dodge sedans; i.e. wherever Dodge goes next it isn't going to be the 90s styling themes..not going 'back to the future'.. ;)

Edited by Robert Hall

Hello all...

Been lurking for a while for many reasons, some really stupid and others really scary.

I also face an existential crisis here. Car is benched. Have lost interest in driving. Moving cities, changing career, moving away from all family and friends in a couple months.

Reflecting on my interest in autos... I just like the pictures. There’s nothing about sporty or good looking or well made cars that make me want to open my wallet for ‘em. Have lost any loyalty to any brand completely.

Anyways I might post in other threads but for now feel kinda lame. Be back whenever...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Upheaval is almost always unsettling. Stay healthy & aware, Suaviloquent, here's to hoping everything goes smooth.

As far as loyalty goes, look at me : I'm loyal to Pontiac and vehicles made before 1970. I've been out of the 'loop' for 50 years! lol
- - - - - 

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 1.35.54 AM.png

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Hello all...

Been lurking for a while for many reasons, some really stupid and others really scary.

I also face an existential crisis here. Car is benched. Have lost interest in driving. Moving cities, changing career, moving away from all family and friends in a couple months.

Reflecting on my interest in autos... I just like the pictures. There’s nothing about sporty or good looking or well made cars that make me want to open my wallet for ‘em. Have lost any loyalty to any brand completely.

Anyways I might post in other threads but for now feel kinda lame. Be back whenever...

Sounds like a lot going on at a time. I can understand.....

I felt like that a while back....couldn’t find the point in caring about my hobbies. I would give it time, and wait for things to settle down a bit. Hope all this stuff happening works out for you, and you have some good stories to tell...

Sending some good vibes!

Looks claustrophobic to be inside, but I like the visual, esp the clear roof.

I like short hood/long deck cars; they're different. I whipped these 2 up a while back- I especially love the B-59 4-door coupe. Keep the rear doors functional and give it a 8-foot deckled (no open pickup beds!) and I'd drive it every day :

49 Super Express.jpg

59 4-dr coupe 225.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 3

These are some distant relatives. What's amazing is that a 'fast moving' freight train pushed a 1916-era car 900 feet and only a small child died. Most people would assume ANY car from the 'nineteen-teens' would vaporize and the people would've been mincemeat.

I have no details on the vehicle, but I can tell you Ernest died in 1971, Mrs. Ernest in 1963, and son Willie in 1975, so they survived well beyond the article's dateline. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 7.36.20 AM.png

Edited by balthazar

Well I turned down the job offer that was made a bunch of pages back.  Just wasn't enough money, but the job would have been fun.  I couldn't justify taking that big of a hit to the paycheck though. 

I think I'm moving forward with selling the last rental property too.  I might also be transitioning some things here at C&G.  Keeping up with the news on a daily basis is exhausting when one also works a day job. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Most people I've dealt with who own rentals, at some point, have inevitably had 'enough'.
- - - - - 

If it was just about that, I'd turn it over to a management company and let them deal with it.  I want the money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If it was just about that, I'd turn it over to a management company and let them deal with it.  I want the money.

Like I said back then.

Cash will always be king.

Just don't pissed it all away.  

Real estate is an investment like any other investment.  You could always go back to re-invest your cash in real estate or anything else that may come your way.  As long as your money grows. (even if by a small % rather than a huge % and always better than a loss obviously) 

No investment is forever. One has to "get out" of an investment eventually. One shouldn't be afraid or reluctant to "get out". Like I said, as long as money was made.

Sometimes, one HAS to cut his losses if losses are to be had. 

One has to see the bigger picture at all times and if an investment becomes stagnant, one should cash out.  However, if there is much money to be had, one BETTER ride the gravy train as much as possible!

Im glad that you came to a conclusion about the job offer and about your properties. Those stresses are now relieved (Im assuming for the most part) and now you could concentrate on other money making ventures.

You strike me as a businessman. You also strike me as a person that is not afraid to take risks...CALCULATED risks...

Good on you!  

Good luck on your next venture! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

There was some criticism of lazy take-off from a stop during the loaner trials, but if one needed to launch, you could just raise the RPMs, then release the brake- there they were comparable to period piston cars. Idle speed was about 22,000.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Shoulder surgery (and not being able to drive for at least six weeks) sucks.

How many times do we have to tell you in the 21st century you do not go around grabbing woman and throwing them over your shoulder like a cave man to take them home. 🙄

• Haha 3

To date China has set the record for the fastest extremely large mass industrial site being constructed. Now China is breaking the records again with what is considered an overdrive of building. January they broke ground, end of may Tesla is expected to have Phase 1 of the building done.