Random Thoughts Thread

This damn thing is airborne.  I am fairly burned out on reading about Covid-19.  I wear a mask where I am supposed to (with some K95s I bought for more critical circumstances).  I have even flown a few times and not been exposed to it. 

Here's what we should know but many don't, based on what I've read within the last few days ... and months ago.  It's in the airspace that people with it had occupied that airspace.  They probably just were talking and breathing instead of sneezing. Its longevity is just estimates that no one really can pin down. The problem is that it's absurdly resilient or it wouldn't have caused this.  That's why healthy people at house parties, in classrooms, and at watering hotels who are hanging all over each other have gotten it.  The one thing I notice is how the average age keeps moving lower.

• Agree 4

I've been avoiding public enclosed spaces since March..really the only place I feel completely safe is in my house or yard... I'm hesitant to get on an airplane or go in a store or restaurant anytime soon.. 

• Agree 2

I've ranted against the profession of 'journalism' more than once here. I put the name in quotes because I feel it's strayed miles wide from it's purpose and guiding principals for many years now. Here's a perfect example :

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.37.21 PM.png

Now... I'll click on a 'chick link' to see what they might look like. Call it 'people watching'. But so many of these 'social / celeb' shorts do the very same thing; they post a photograph, then describe what's in the photograph. Duh, I'm reading; I have eyes. Then they top off their laborious 3 sentences with gushing praise, such as the above's "gave us major fashion inspiration". Damn, leopard skin & leather have been around for a solid 50 years now. And what exactly is the "fall look" about it??
Sewage water journalism; describing what a photo shows, then heaping priase on the mediocre.

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I've ranted against the profession of 'journalism' more than once here. I put the name in quotes because I feel it's strayed miles wide from it's purpose and guiding principals for many years now. Here's a perfect example :

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.37.21 PM.png

Now... I'll click on a 'chick link' to see what they might look like. Call it 'people watching'. But so many of these 'social / celeb' shorts do the very same thing; they post a photograph, then describe what's in the photograph. Duh, I'm reading; I have eyes. Then they top off their laborious 3 sentences with gushing praise, such as the above's "gave us major fashion inspiration". Damn, leopard skin & leather have been around for a solid 50 years now. And what exactly is the "fall look" about it??
Sewage water journalism; describing what a photo shows, then heaping priase on the mediocre.

Social Media is for sure NOT JOURNALISM. Not sure why so many people think it is. They all need to get out and live their own life rather than watch / follow someone else.

Who Cares About Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and Especially their Daughter! Nothing of interest in years from them in the movie business and I do not care what they do in their social life.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I didn't check paintref.com, but this '76 Trans Am is supposedly 'Firethorn Red' :

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 9.46.32 PM.png

Regardless of the color, this, and '75, were my favorite Firebird years - a much improved front compared to '70 to '73, a wraparound rear back lite not found in '74, and without the pinched "Smokey and the Bandit" grille which began in '77.  Just right ...

45 minutes ago, David said:

Social Media is for sure NOT JOURNALISM. Not sure why so many people think it is. They all need to get out and live their own life rather than watch / follow someone else.

Who Cares About Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and Especially their Daughter! Nothing of interest in years from them in the movie business and I do not care what they do in their social life.

When one spends their formative years in SoCal, they either fall in love with media types ... or become averse to and burned out on hearing about everything they do.  Only a small amount of it is interesting and/or newsworthy. 

I have a fairly basic rule from years ago - I don't want anyone with an entertainment background who didn't cut their teeth on law school (or business school) and didn't cut some teeth again as a lawyer, in the military, and/or as a "professional" politician to be in important posts in public office ... with few exceptions.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

This damn thing is airborne.  I am fairly burned out on reading about Covid-19.  I wear a mask where I am supposed to (with some K95s I bought for more critical circumstances).  I have even flown a few times and not been exposed to it. 

Here's what we should know but many don't, based on what I've read within the last few days ... and months ago.  It's in the airspace that people with it had occupied that airspace.  They probably just were talking and breathing instead of sneezing. Its longevity is just estimates that no one really can pin down. The problem is that it's absurdly resilient or it wouldn't have caused this.  That's why healthy people at house parties, in classrooms, and at watering hotels who are hanging all over each other have gotten it.  The one thing I notice is how the average age keeps moving lower.

I am not getting a good feeling about this. I’ve already lost a few friends this year, and it’s not like they were old and sickly. It’s going to get much colder earlier this year for everyone not in the west and southwest. While there are lots of politics floating around, I would think more folks were err on the side of caution, just to be safe. With my asthma-I’m not taking chances. 

I think most folks are just done with this...period. But I always wondered if folks ever checked the history of stuff like this to see what happens-it’s not pretty! It it going to be a very rough end of the year.....I hope I am wrong.....

On a happier note, we might get more snow this year........

• Sad 1

OUCH, Ya just cannot stop STUPID from going 4x4ing. Stuck Wrangler on a bike trail.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36651/theres-a-jeep-wrangler-dangling-off-a-cliff-in-california-after-some-fool-drove-up-a-bike-trail

image.png

Gotta Love Custom Projects. Mercedes has nothing on this bad boy 6x6 Cadillac Hurst!

Powering this six-wheel-drive heavy metal album cover is a 6V53 Detroit Diesel engine

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36565/meet-the-detroit-diesel-powered-6x6-cadillac-hearse-that-rides-on-60-inch-mud-tires

image.png

Garrett Turbo manufacture has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy due to two issues. BIG BIG DROP in Auto Sales and BIGGER Yet is the Asbestos Liability Honeywell dumped on them in 2018 as Garrett discovered by Honeywell executive that used their spin off to jettison financial liabilities. As such Garrett has sued Honeywell to invalidate that clause in their spin off agreement.

To Quote the company:

"Although the fundamentals of our business are strong and we have continued to try to develop our business strategy, the financial strains of the heavy debt load and liabilities we inherited in the spinoff from Honeywell—all exacerbated by COVID-19—have created a significant long-term burden on our business," said Olivier Rabiller, president and CEO of the newly Switzerland-based firm

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36636/turbocharger-manufacturer-garrett-files-for-bankruptcy

image.png

The power War is about to get even bigger as Whipple is brining out a new 3.8L Gen 5 super charger to power up your V8 engines. 

The story is stating the 2021/2022 Hellcat will have this, they do not say, but I have to think this could push the V8 to close to 1000HP 😮 

To quote:

Comments from Whipple on its Instagram post confirm that kits to fit its 3.8 to 6.2-liter, supercharged V8s from Ford's rivals are also in the works. One such kit will be offered as a straight upgrade to the factory 2.4-liter blower on FCA's Hellcat V8, which will soon power a trio of Dodges, not to mention the 2021 Ram TRX. Another will be compatible with the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon's more intensely boosted motor, and yet another will fit the Chevrolet LT4 found in the C7 Corvette Z06 and the Camaro ZL1 1LE.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35883/whipples-new-3-8-liter-supercharger-is-like-steroids-for-your-coyote-hellcat-or-lt-v8

Wonder what ever happened to this 32 wheel bus, The Cyclops?

No thanks to this idiot and fugitive, he predicts that by 2022 Nissan will go Bankrupt.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31927/fugitive-nissan-ceo-carlos-ghosn-predicts-nissan-will-go-bankrupt-by-2022

What?  I don't believe that they ran out of names for hurricanes and have had to go to Greek letters.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't ever heard of hurricanes with names like Helga, Guido, Latoya, and Hamid.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

What?  I don't believe that they ran out of names for hurricanes and have had to go to Greek letters.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't ever heard of hurricanes with names like Helga, Guido, Latoya, and Hamid.

RIGHT! Why not a Moses, Cain or Budda.

• Haha 1

WOW, Dunkin Donuts to Close 800 locations, 8% of their stores and push to a contactless store experience much like the Amazon Fresh stores on top of other changes. Pandemic is really going to change the interaction of how we shop, interact with others, etc.

https://www.eatthis.com/dunkin-major-changes/

https://www.eatthis.com/dunkin-closing-locations-for-good/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=msn-feed

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, David said:

RIGHT! Why not a Moses, Cain or Budda.

Let's not forget possibilities like Abu (? spelling) from "The Simpsons."

1 hour ago, David said:

WOW, Dunkin Donuts to Close 800 locations, 8% of their stores and push to a contactless store experience much like the Amazon Fresh stores on top of other changes. Pandemic is really going to change the interaction of how we shop, interact with others, etc.

I like Dunkin' Donuts.  They have nicer stores in some suburbs and it's good to have your donut and coffee inside, much like it would be at Tim Horton's in Canada.

35 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Let's not forget possibilities like Abu (? spelling) from "The Simpsons."

I like Dunkin' Donuts.  They have nicer stores in some suburbs and it's good to have your donut and coffee inside, much like it would be at Tim Horton's in Canada.

I like Dunkin also..have two within a mile of me, and a Krispy Kreme a bit farther away.  I wish I had a Tim Horton's nearby, oddly there are some in small towns like Coshocton, Ohio and in the Columbus metro area, but none in the Cleveland area.  But I get my 3 cups of Tim Horton's dark roast every morning from my Keurig....

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, David said:

Ouch, another toxic truck bits the dust.

One reason to go Electric!

On a positive note, this is gorgeous.

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I like Dunkin also..have two within a mile of me, and a Krispy Kreme a bit farther away.  I wish I had a Tim Horton's nearby, oddly there are some in small towns like Coshocton, Ohio and in the Columbus metro area, but none in the Cleveland area.  But I get my 3 cups of Tim Horton's dark roast every morning from my Keurig....

I brew my own at home, saves lots of money.

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I wish I had a Tim Horton's nearby, oddly there are some in small towns like Coshocton, Ohio and in the Columbus metro area, but none in the Cleveland area.  But I get my 3 cups of Tim Horton's dark roast every morning from my Keurig....

There are some Timmys in small towns in North America and they seem to do well or they wouldn't be there.  Just like A&Ws would plant themselves in random small North American towns.

However, for the ambiance, you can't beat a Tim Horton's location for a hot drink and a fixed up bagel or a muffin in a Canadian resort area or an urban Canadian setting, eating and drinking with the "eh" or "allo" (how Francophones say hello) crowd.

22 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I brew my own at home, saves lots of money.

I go through a lot of tea bags at home.  But, every once in a while, it's great to get your coffee or tea in one of these places and enjoy the moment.

8 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

There are some Timmys in small towns in North America and they seem to do well or they wouldn't be there.  Just like A&Ws would plant themselves in random small North American towns.

However, for the ambiance, you can't beat a Tim Horton's location for a hot drink and a fixed up bagel or a muffin in a Canadian resort area or an urban Canadian setting, eating and drinking with the "eh" or "allo" (how Francophones say hello) crowd.

I go through a lot of tea bags at home.  But, every once in a while, it's great to get your coffee or tea in one of these places and enjoy the moment.

Yeah, I haven't been in a Dunkin or Tim's in years...I occasionally leave the house and go through the drive thru at Dunkin..   in the before time, my favorite get of the house and enjoy a breakfast place is Bruegger's Bagels...a large coffee and an everything bagel w/ bacon, egg and cheese was a favorite going back 20+ years--used to go to one in Colorado Springs, Denver, Phoenix, and now here.   When I was at MCI/Worldcom back in the late 90s, had a coworker that I used to meet up with at 6am at Brueggers once a week for breakfast..  I miss the simple pleasures of the before time.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Yeah, they've already gone through their regular A-Z names this season and looped around starting with Alpha then Beta...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, they've already gone through their regular A-Z names this season and looped around starting with Alpha then Beta...

They should call one as Vladimir, I bet it will wipe out half of Florida ...

15 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

One reason to go Electric!

I think your forgot all these battery fires that go for hours and keep reigniting ...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I think your forgot all these battery fires that go for hours and keep reigniting ...

That's a feature not a fault...the car/truck in question can burn to the ground so it can match the rest of the country....urban or rural...right or left...we have gotten damn good at burning things down in 2020.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ykX said:

Battery fires are still far less than gas fires on auto's along with oil/grease fires on auto's.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/377006/nmber-of-us-highway-vehicle-fires/

image.png

• Thanks 1

You can also find the latest break down of auto fires which show ICE are still and will be still far more burnable than electric.

https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/US-Fire-Problem/osvehiclefires.pdf

Snag_32341c32.png

To Quote the Report:

Key findings An estimated 212,500 vehicle fires caused 560 civilian deathsi 1,500 civilian injuries; and $1.9 billion in direct property damage in the US during 2018. In 2018, only fires in one- and two-family homes claimed more lives than vehicle fires. Vehicle fires caused 4.5 times the number of deaths as nonresidential structure fires and 1.6 times the number of apartment fire deaths. Most of this report focuses on highway vehicle fires. ii The vast majority of vehicle fires and vehicle fire casualties involve highway vehicles (vehicles intended for use on roadways). The 2018 estimate of highway vehicle fires was 60 percent lower than in 1980, and the rates of fires per billion miles driven and fire deaths per 100 billion miles driven were 81 percent and 65 percent lower, respectively. Four of every five people killed or injured in highway vehicle fires in 2013–2017 were male. Almost half (44 percent) of the vehicle fire fatalities were between 15 and 34. Only 10 percent were at least 65 years of age. Highway vehicle fires were most common between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.

The leading causes of vehicle fires were mechanical failures or malfunctions and electrical failures or malfunctions. Older vehicles accounted for three-quarters of the highway vehicle fires caused by mechanical or electrical failures or malfunctions. Maintenance is important throughout the vehicle’s years of use. Collisions were the leading cause of vehicle fires that resulted in death. Large trucks have a higher rate of deaths per 1,000 fires than highway vehicle fires overall. Tires play a larger role in large truck and bus fires than in car fires. 

• Thanks 1

@David  This just says vehicle fires.  Considering what a small percentage EVs are right now on the road it is not a comparison between ICE and EV.  Not that ICE fires are not common, but I think it is a known problem that current technology batteries are way more dangerous when they burn and more prone to overheating and fires.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

@David  This just says vehicle fires.  Considering what a small percentage EVs are right now on the road it is not a comparison between ICE and EV.  Not that ICE fires are not common, but I think it is a known problem that current technology batteries are way more dangerous when they burn and more prone to overheating and fires.

Yes EV's are very small compared to ICE auto's, but I think those that fear change are overblowing the battery thing in comparison to ICE.

Even this report says it is very rare in comparison to ICE fuel fires.

A Review of Battery Fires in Electric Vehicles

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10694-019-00944-3

Interesting read on ice versus ev and the history.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/electric-vs-gasoline-cars-history-repeats/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

On a positive note, great day here in Columbus.

High Wind, Heavy rain, 2 inches in the last 24hrs and more to come through the weekend. Pacific storms are lined up much like the storms in the Atlantic. Gonna be a crazy week and weekend.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, David said:

High Wind, Heavy rain, 2 inches in the last 24hrs and more to come through the weekend. Pacific storms are lined up much like the storms in the Atlantic. Gonna be a crazy week and weekend.

Maybe the rain can put out or prevent some wildfires.

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Nice day here in Cleveland.   Sunny, not too warm, low humidity.   Working on the patio...

I ate lunch outside, it was fantastic.

I need this as a driveway mate to the Ranger I think...

Or a Fox body like this one...

• Agree 1

For 007 fans, the latest movie from the franchise should be in theaters before the holidays.  (Masks are your friends.)

Here's a stupid article rating the songs from 007 movies across the years.  I don't know if it's someone's opinion or it was based on revenue.  It seems to favor the older songs and the ones by Shirley Bassey.  I thought "From Russia With Love" was overly sappy and "Live and Let Die" by Paul McCartney was just okay.

The ranking of theme songs used in James Bond movies

Thought some C&G folks who enjoy 007 movies might find this somewhat entertaining.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Maybe the rain can put out or prevent some wildfires.

Totally expect it to as we are scheduled to get 7 feet of snow in the mountains by Saturday.

https://snowbrains.com/mount-baker-7-feet-fresh-snow/

Early Ski season I hope! :D 

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

For 007 fans, the latest movie from the franchise should be in theaters before the holidays.  (Masks are your friends.)

Here's a stupid article rating the songs from 007 movies across the years.  I don't know if it's someone's opinion or it was based on revenue.  It seems to favor the older songs and the ones by Shirley Bassey.  I thought "From Russia With Love" was overly sappy and "Live and Let Die" by Paul McCartney was just okay.

The ranking of theme songs used in James Bond movies

Thought some C&G folks who enjoy 007 movies might find this somewhat entertaining.

Theaters here are all closed and not expected to open till after the new year. I am hoping they will do premium streaming as a James Bond Fan, I am excited to see Daniel Craig's final movie.

I do wonder about Tom Hardy as his replacement. Seems we keep getting shorter and shorter James Bond's.

Also, while the fan in me loves all the songs, I do think that some of the older songs are way over rated compared to some of the newer songs.

Maybe a boomer rated them.

• Agree 2

Got a good laugh...maybe more sad....

Renewing my old Cavalier for insurance (paying it myself since it is my “project”) Wanna cut down more on costs, so I wanted to get rid of as much PIP (our stupid MI insurance) since the car hardly goes anywhere right now.

So I have them change the cost, lower everything to basic levels. Quote comes back  3 TIMES as much! They wanted to try to blame other things (me) but nothing has changed save maybe a little extra credit card debt. I’m thinking they are out to make some serious money. So, shopping around for the best deal- or I will simply drop coverage and park it for now....

Long story short- with their “new” policy, basic PLPD on a 16 year old Cavalier would be over 3 grand a year.... 😮 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Got a good laugh...maybe more sad....

Renewing my old Cavalier for insurance (paying it myself since it is my “project”) Wanna cut down more on costs, so I wanted to get rid of as much PIP (our stupid MI insurance) since the car hardly goes anywhere right now.

So I have them change the cost, lower everything to basic levels. Quote comes back  3 TIMES as much! They wanted to try to blame other things (me) but nothing has changed save maybe a little extra credit card debt. I’m thinking they are out to make some serious money. So, shopping around for the best deal- or I will simply drop coverage and park it for now....

Long story short- with their “new” policy, basic PLPD on a 16 year old Cavalier would be over 3 grand a year.... 😮 

That makes no freakin sense. I would for sure shop around. I pay only a couple hundred dollars for the insurance on my 1994 GMC Suburban SLE that has been parked all year and I honestly doubt it will get driven this year due to the pandemic. Just not going anywhere.

I do have to laugh at the pandemic refund checks the insurance companies are sending out to their policy holders. Ameriprise sent me an $88.00 check for the year to help me out. Wow. 🙄

Interesting read, Bill Gates says with a vaccine out in early 2021, summer of 2021 will return to a somewhat normal life but not totally as he says it will take till summer 2022 for the world to get inoculated and even then anti-vaccine folks will still have to deal with the virus.

https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/bill-gates-has-a-predicted-date-for-the-end-of-the-pandemic?ltm=KB9FURKQLp5VtwA2ajtt%2BTsnx4WZ/UepWMorvSuxD1A%3D&subscriber_type=member&utm_term=dnl-9-23-20&utm_campaign=daily-newsletter&utm_source=member&utm_content=dnl-9-23-20&utm_medium=email

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting read, Bill Gates says with a vaccine out in early 2021, summer of 2021 will return to a somewhat normal life but not totally as he says it will take till summer 2022 for the world to get inoculated and even then anti-vaccine folks will still have to deal with the virus.

https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/bill-gates-has-a-predicted-date-for-the-end-of-the-pandemic?ltm=KB9FURKQLp5VtwA2ajtt%2BTsnx4WZ/UepWMorvSuxD1A%3D&subscriber_type=member&utm_term=dnl-9-23-20&utm_campaign=daily-newsletter&utm_source=member&utm_content=dnl-9-23-20&utm_medium=email

Our inability to think clearly about any major issue as a society is much more of a problem than the Virus itself.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Our inability to think clearly about any major issue as a society is much more of a problem than the Virus itself.

Americans in general are too ignorant and self-absorbed to be able to think about the big picture of any issue..

• Agree 2

The GM design division I think is trying to get customer feedback on a wide range of concept drawings. What are your thoughts?

Have to say this is Sexy.

One for those that loved the 70's Caprice.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, David said:

That makes no freakin sense. I would for sure shop around. I pay only a couple hundred dollars for the insurance on my 1994 GMC Suburban SLE that has been parked all year and I honestly doubt it will get driven this year due to the pandemic. Just not going anywhere.

I do have to laugh at the pandemic refund checks the insurance companies are sending out to their policy holders. Ameriprise sent me an $88.00 check for the year to help me out. Wow. 🙄

Yep. And to think I only paid maybe 350 a year for it (still thought that was high) before these stupid insurance changes. On my other policy for the rest of my cars, the rates did drop a decent amount. So this one has me puzzled......

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, David said:

Thanks to the crazy, I highly doubt it will change. Talked to a few of my friends both in health care and government, and they are already figuring we will probably see yet another virus because we did not take this and serious enough.

It’s sad to see that other countries will probably be done with 90% of this by Christmas......

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

And it’s going right back to the farm it came from.....LOL......

Looks great though!

Amazing that some people can abuse an auto. Why have such a nice auto if you could not care less about taking care of it. Crazy.

• Agree 1