Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

10 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well, the promised "sub $20k" starting price for the Maverick has me hopeful, but the spy shots have me worried... a regular cab with a minimum 6' bed is needed as one of the choices, but all I'm seeing is crewcab with 2' beds so far.

We’ll have to see. I would think they would need some base trucks for places like auto part stores and such. They would be silly to have no work trucks........

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, David said:

Makes one wonder if the owner of the company was a Star Trek fan and decided Photon was a good name but it did not translate into Chinese, so went with foton.

Should be futon, it will lay down on you. 

11 hours ago, ocnblu said:

2021 Renegade Jeepster in TechnoGreen Metallic

iris.jpg

I love the Renegade. Esp in this color. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Believe it or not, I do not see the sedan/coupe dying just yet. With the price of the CUVs/SUVs and trucks going sky high, people will eventually want cheaper, more basic stuff again. I think that Ford may have a hit with the Maverick on their hands if they can price it right. Small businesses alone will love it....

I am already seeing a start, as a few of my friends got cars for their kids that they wanted- a Ford Fusion and a Kia Forte. Neither wanted anything huge and clunky. I expect automakers to switch gears to cheaper rides rather the risk the loss in sales.......

You make sense to me.  It's too big of a paradigm shift for people who are used to cars and want no more than cars.  I see Ford Fusions everywhere and I think KIa Fortes are probably very reliable.  We know the Asians and Europeans will not exit the car market.  Also, with each refresh, these little Asian cars have gotten a little bit bigger (more comfortable) and feature more advanced technology, such as forward collision alert and avoid.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Is there an age where you more seriously consider ‘splurging’ on a vehicular purchase? Say, your mortgage is long done and any kids are on their own; do you ever think ‘it’s my turn now’?

I’m certain for some folks, there is but honestly new cars are a terrible investment. There’s a reason why used car sales have taken off over the last decade or so. To each their own though. If someone wants to splurge $100K on a new car, more power to them. You only live once, after all. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Is there an age where you more seriously consider ‘splurging’ on a vehicular purchase? Say, your mortgage is long done and any kids are on their own; do you ever think ‘it’s my turn now’?

I am now.  Financially  it will be a bad idea, I still have mortgage and kids, but I am seriously considering getting car of my dream this year.  I am in mid-40s now and there is always some reason that prevents me  buying it.  I realized that if I am not going to do it soon, than it is very likely  might not happen at all, or by the time I can do it comfortably financially it will not matter anymore.

On the positive side I think the car I want will hold her value well enough that if I am forced to sell it I should not loose too much money.

22 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You only live once, after all. 

Exactly, and you never know when a piano will fall on your head.

Edited by ykX
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Totally, Both kids are out on their own, just the wife and I at home and while I have a few more years left to pay off the college loan. I am saving for my next auto. Unlike many, I tend to hold onto my auto's for 10 years or longer, so do not see a problem with buying a $100,000 auto when I hold onto it for so long and enjoy it. 

After all, EVERY PARENT DESERVES a little luxury in life. Be it a new auto splurge or a splurge on a auto project that becomes your prized ride. Once you have done the family thing, time to pamper oneself. Nothing wrong with that.

I guess I'm the exception here.  I don't want super expensive iron because it costs more in every way - to purchase, to insure, to feed, to repair.  And, it's probably extra traumatic when you get a door ding.  Very expensive and exotic cars are for those who are ridiculously rich and those for whom they are "must have" items.

I guess my maximum "allowance" for a car is adjusted each year for current purchasing power.  I look for a car that both appeals to me, since I don't care what others think, and is durable.  (I got flack for driving GM cars in CA when I was in college and right after it while in the workforce in that same area, as in "eww," but expressed middle finger sentiments to critics in a more roundabout way.)  Right now, I'd say my top end for a (new) vehicle would be about $ 29 K.

My current daily is 6 yrs old, I've had it for over 3 years and it has less than 50k so far..so i won't be replacing it for a few years...I probably won't keep it past 100k because that is when everything goes no bueno w/ Jeeps in my past experience.    I have thought about getting a fun second car (late model Challenger V8 or Mustang GT are two in particular I've considered)...may still do that in a few years, but with the uncertainty in the reality currently,  it doesn't seem smart to spend money now.   I'm going to invest in improvements to my house over the next few years...

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Just did it. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Back around 1976, my brother had a ‘75 Mustang II Mach 1 in silver for a couple years.  He traded an orange ‘74 Vega GT on it.  I think it had the V6.  Our Nextdoor neighbor backed her ‘72 Olds 98 into it, mashing the passenger side door and front fender when it was parked across the street.  He traded it on a ‘74 Firebird Formula 400. 

Right around '74 or '75, there was a really cool blue color that the Vega had.  It was an enamel color, not a metallic one.  A family friend had bought one.  I remember riding in it up in the Los Padres National Forest north of L.A.  Who would have thought that Vega engines were prone to meltdowns ... literally?

15 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I guess I'm the exception here.  I don't want super expensive iron because it costs more in every way - to purchase, to insure, to feed, to repair.  And, it's probably extra traumatic when you get a door ding.  Very expensive and exotic cars are for those who are ridiculously rich and those for whom they are "must have" items.

I guess my maximum "allowance" for a car is adjusted each year for current purchasing power.  I look for a car that both appeals to me, since I don't care what others think, and is durable.  (I got flack for driving GM cars in CA when I was in college and right after it while in the workforce in that same area, as in "eww," but expressed middle finger sentiments to critics in a more roundabout way.)  Right now, I'd say my top end for a (new) vehicle would be about $ 29 K.

I understand your concern, I felt that way when I saved up and bought my first $100K auto, my Escalade ESV Platinum. Yet cost of maintaining it, repairs, etc. have been low and over all the pleasure on road trips have been great that I would not want anything other than the Escalade ESV for a road trip auto.

Quality products bought for the long haul last in my opinion as long as you follow the maintenance schedule. I see no reason to not keep doing what I am doing. 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum with 140,000 plus miles and here it is 2020. Worth the money.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

This doesn't feel like auto enthusiast forum, more like Consumer Reports forum ... :) 

Again, if I was rich, I'd probably opt for the very latest mid-engine Corvette in silver with the maroon leather seats ... and drive it on the weekend as a hobby or novelty car.

But, since I can't, I mentally scour cars and the literature, live in them vicariously through rentals, and then return to my steadfast though not necessarily boring car that people don't notice.  I take that back.  The only people who have noticed my previous cars were gang bangers because, when the Cutlass Supremes and Regals get older, it was gang bangers who adopted those "old schoolz," as they call them.

@David Yes, with thorough maintenance, my previous car hit almost 275,000 miles without ANY work on the powertrain.  Could it have been that I was taught to do break-in oil at about 1,000 or 1,500 miles before going onto the conventional schedule of oil changes?  I've latched on to that old school mentality about break-in oil.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

You make sense to me.  It's too big of a paradigm shift for people who are used to cars and want no more than cars.  I see Ford Fusions everywhere and I think KIa Fortes are probably very reliable.  We know the Asians and Europeans will not exit the car market.  Also, with each refresh, these little Asian cars have gotten a little bit bigger (more comfortable) and feature more advanced technology, such as forward collision alert and avoid.

Agreed! I think if cars were really going away, the Accord and Camry would be in trouble. While sales are down-they are just adjusting production. The only reason we see other auto makers dumping them is that they were never really in the game to begin with. (granted the Fusion was getting there) The easy way to fix cars is to price them sensibly- just simply have more lower models...there are still folks who do not want it all, or simply want it on price. Keep the Luxury (and prices) on the SUVs/trucks...

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

You’re talking to someone who until recently had a 17, 16 and 14 year old car. I’m as cheap as they come...brought up that way, and forced to be cheap as well....

Even my current “newies  ” (20 Trax, 19 Nox) are base models. The LS models have just enough of what I need, but still cheap enough to keep after the lease. 

Besides, I’d rather to enjoy other stuff in life, and throw in a classic ride too.

Being cheap is good. 🙂 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Accord at least is in trouble. Down 42% in 5 years... and haven't seen what 2020 is doing to date.

Your right, the accord is crashing based on the sales numbers database. Still strong but clearly down big time.

image.png

Through August, Accord has sold 125,142 cars to date. With only 4 months left and 10's of thousands expected to be laid off by just the airlines industry alone as the loans ends for keeping them on the payroll, I suspect the last 4 months ARE NOT going to make up the 142,425 that will be needed in sales to equal 2019 sales. I suspect they might get close to 200,000 but would not be surprised based on the average numbers right now if they end up in the 190,000 plus range.

Seems that the Accord peaked in 1990 with 417,000 plus Accords sold and then has gone down since. Clearly they still have figured out how to make money unlike the US brands.

image.png

Full details at the link below.

https://carsalesbase.com/us-honda-accord/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daves87rs said:

You’re talking to someone who until recently had a 17, 16 and 14 year old car. I’m as cheap as they come...brought up that way, and forced to be cheap as well....

Besides, I’d rather to enjoy other stuff in life, and throw in a classic ride too.

Being cheap is good. 

Bingo.  Ditto.  For the most part.  My parents believed in spending a little more, not a ton more, to get quality and make things last.

I had to be cheap to be able to go back to grad school and change course.  It changed how I view spending money.

My last car went 16 years, but in a moderate climate, though.  My current one is up to 12 and then some.

The only "vice" I have is travel, and I'm cheap there, too, checking and rechecking the web for airfares, lodging, rental cars, and frequent flyer account promotions that rack up miles for things you'd have to pay for anyway on a trip.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Your right, the accord is crashing based on the sales numbers database. Still strong but clearly down big time.

https://carsalesbase.com/us-honda-accord/

The Accord has become ungainly and bloated.  Between the two of them, I think the Camry is nicer, even though they should do something about its grille.

So sad when train operators do not pay attention to the right rail they are supposed to take, as such you end up with millions of dollars of damage and some people new auto's destroyed. Seems Ford will have some auto's to deal with as a Ford Explorer and Lincoln Navigator appear to be totaled. All the crushed auto's appear towards the end of the video, but clearly another bridge hit one of the train cars which must have been taller than the others since damage already appeared before hitting this low bridge.

Shocked that in this modern time, we still have so many old train bridges that do not work with newer train cars.

Two same year, same model pickups that are also very different, but beauties all the same. I'd take either in a heartbeat.

'56 Chevrolet 3100 4x4 NapCo

1956-chevy-3100.jpg

'56 Chevrolet 3100

1956-Chevrolet-3100.jpg

Edited by USA-1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, David said:

Interesting, @Robert Hall take a look and let me know if you agree with what they say about Jeeps.

https://blog.cheapism.com/jeep-pros-and-cons/

That article seems primarily about Wranglers, but some is definitely applicable to my experience w/ 20 years of driving GCs...they are great all-weather vehicles, solid,  and have good HVAC systems.  I wouldn't say they are simple--lots of complex electronics esp. on the newer ones.   And unlike Wranglers, GCs are very good on long road trips. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

HNNGGH.
'20 Silverado 1500 RST Crew Cab / Standard Bed, inline 6 turbo-diesel / 10-spd. Rated 23/29 MPG.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.24.23 AM.png

• Sunroof (don't want),
• leather seating (don't want),
• 22-in rims (would prefer 20s, tho these do look awesome),
• Trailer brake controller (yes),
• NO 'safety Group (YES!),
• Convenience Package II [Universal Home Remote, rear sliding power window, 120-V power outlet, 120-V bed-mounted power outlet, Chevrolet Infotainment System with 8"  touch-screen, SiriusXM Radio, HD radio/ HD Rear Vision Camera, Bose Premium Sound System]
•  All Star package [ includes Convenience Package I [dual-zone automatic climate control, 10-way power driver seat including power lumbar, heated driver / passenger seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, heated steering wheel, manual tilt/telescoping steering column, Rear Seat with Storage Package) ] PLUS locking rear differential & trailering package.

$52,700.

There ya go! Done deal!

12 hours ago, David said:

So sad when train operators do not pay attention to the right rail they are supposed to take, as such you end up with millions of dollars of damage and some people new auto's destroyed. Seems Ford will have some auto's to deal with as a Ford Explorer and Lincoln Navigator appear to be totaled. All the crushed auto's appear towards the end of the video, but clearly another bridge hit one of the train cars which must have been taller than the others since damage already appeared before hitting this low bridge.

Shocked that in this modern time, we still have so many old train bridges that do not work with newer train cars.

Someone in dispatched effd up.  That's not the engineer's fault.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

On 9/16/2020 at 10:36 AM, surreal1272 said:

I’m certain for some folks, there is but honestly new cars are a terrible investment. There’s a reason why used car sales have taken off over the last decade or so. To each their own though. If someone wants to splurge $100K on a new car, more power to them. You only live once, after all. 

In my case used truck market, prices so clsoe to new made sense to buy new. 

Love this modified Jeep...

@David  No apologies for being a carnivore.  Have a tough time with ribs.  Strange consistency and aftertaste.  Better than most lamb, though. Have never ordered them.  Will accept them upon entering and exiting a supermarket when they will give out free samples (going forward, that'll be the day).  Great photos, by the way.

For meat, I'm all about the types they serve at Brazilian steakhouses (the different sirloins and the filet mignon) but that's a quarterly event, at best.  I'm learning to eat more poultry and I now enjoy fish a lot, which I detested as a kid.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Did you miss the part where the price begins with a '5'? Ugh.

Guess what the 72-monthly is WITH my trade in? That also begins with a '5'. Ugh, again.

Dude, that's a pretty well equipped new truck though. So $50k+ that isn't bad when the new Sierra Denali's are $68k-$75k. 22's are still spendy wheels and if factory 22's you can basically double the price of aftermarket ones. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

This thing is a monkey, and I like monkeys.

"Mud & Sand"...more like "Water & Puddles" for city dwellers :D

• Haha 2