Random Thoughts Thread

AT4 packages have been talked about going across the whole GMC portfolio and the 2022 GMC Terrain now has this edgier look and new tech. My only hesitation is the single choice turbo motor, at least it has a 9sp transmission be it FWD or AWD.

2022 GMC Terrain lands with AT4 model, new tech and edgier looks - Roadshow (cnet.com)

image.png

To Quote the review:

The exterior grows more angled and edgier on all Terrain models, while the rear receives new LED taillights. A handful of new color options and two new wheel designs all join the menu for buyers to go home with their favorite combination. No matter which trim, a 1.5-liter turbo-four engine is the sole choice, which makes 170 horsepower and 203 pound-feet of torque. A nine-speed automatic sends power to the front or all wheels.

GMC will launch the Terrain in base SLE trim, SLT and AT4 this summer, while the fancier Denali arrives at dealers this fall. GMC will also bring back the popular Elevation special edition, too. No prices yet, but expect a minor bump with all the new features baked in as standard.

Leaked is the all new Nissan 400Z while fans are saying how cool and awesome it looks, I have to say :puke:

Nissan 400Z leaks in production form, looks downright amazing - Roadshow (cnet.com)

More photo's and interior images at the link above.

• Agree 1

Two things I wish GM would just get rid of:  Active Fuel Management and turbocharged engines.  AFM will reduce engine life and bolting a turbocharger to a 4cyl gas engine will do the same for different reasons.  Better to get a v6 and save yourself the trouble of significant engine repairs down the line.  To be fair: that should apply to every automaker. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

So...you would punch ME in the face?  🥺

I am a Cowboys fan too.

Terrel Owens GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

(I LOVE that gif)

Actually, yes!

I used to actually like you...now....not so sure....(just kidding.)

10 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Two things I wish GM would just get rid of:  Active Fuel Management and turbocharged engines.  AFM will reduce engine life and bolting a turbocharger to a 4cyl gas engine will do the same for different reasons.  Better to get a v6 and save yourself the trouble of significant engine repairs down the line.  To be fair: that should apply to every automaker. 

More active fuel management than Tubocharging. Love the tubo 4 in my ranger. But AFM is so bad for truck motors. 

15 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Clear valve covers or cam covers, oil pans etc coupled w/ cameras would be useful for using a screen on the dash to keep watch on the engine.   

As if modern drivers needed any more distractions. They can watch social media and a valvetrain at the same time, wow, autotmotive multi tasking...how about eyes on the road..novel concept?

Lady gaga can wait! As can Facebook. 

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ There’s a series of videos by Vic Edelbrock testing a clear differential cover. Very illuminating; as all the differently shaped aftermarket covers all performed notably worse than the ‘boring’ stock cover. 

Stock vehicles can perform quite well. 

15 hours ago, David said:

Amazing what you can watch when you make parts out of Clear tuff plastic resin.

Clear resin is great for woodworking, it can be tinted, fill cracks, etc. Cool that it ahs a crossover application with cars also. 

17 hours ago, David said:

AT4 packages have been talked about going across the whole GMC portfolio and the 2022 GMC Terrain now has this edgier look and new tech. My only hesitation is the single choice turbo motor, at least it has a 9sp transmission be it FWD or AWD.

2022 GMC Terrain lands with AT4 model, new tech and edgier looks - Roadshow (cnet.com)

image.png

To Quote the review:

The exterior grows more angled and edgier on all Terrain models, while the rear receives new LED taillights. A handful of new color options and two new wheel designs all join the menu for buyers to go home with their favorite combination. No matter which trim, a 1.5-liter turbo-four engine is the sole choice, which makes 170 horsepower and 203 pound-feet of torque. A nine-speed automatic sends power to the front or all wheels.

GMC will launch the Terrain in base SLE trim, SLT and AT4 this summer, while the fancier Denali arrives at dealers this fall. GMC will also bring back the popular Elevation special edition, too. No prices yet, but expect a minor bump with all the new features baked in as standard.

Leaked is the all new Nissan 400Z while fans are saying how cool and awesome it looks, I have to say :puke:

Nissan 400Z leaks in production form, looks downright amazing - Roadshow (cnet.com)

More photo's and interior images at the link above.

GMC good looking, Z car hideos. As much as I shit talked the Ranger before buying it....look for a Z car to be a driveway mate to the Ranger in about 4 years. 

On 3/23/2021 at 12:07 AM, oldshurst442 said:

^^^

I could arrange that!

I find quality rather than quantity to be a postive thing. I still want to come see you when we yanks are allowed North of the border. 

On 3/23/2021 at 7:34 AM, oldshurst442 said:

You could buy automobiles at Starbuck's now?

Since when?  🤔

:D

A cup of Starbucks coffee is less expensive and longer lived than anything built by Fiat, so a win of sorts. 

This saw actually came from about half a mile from where I work, to the West Coast. Frank makes great videos. 

My Friends moving a bandsaw of similar Size into Erik's shop. One of those guys has a similar bandsaw I am thinking about buying. I am also bidding on one. 

The saw I am bidding on in Alabama.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=680&acctid=11866

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I find quality rather than quantity to be a positive thing. I still want to come see you when we yanks are allowed North of the border. 

A cup of Starbucks coffee is less expensive and longer lived than anything built by Fiat, so a win of sorts. 

Quality is very important to me too, but there should be no problem having quality with quantity. I honestly do not get these places that charge for what I would consider a normal size meal for most Americans and they serve you a little tiny bit of food saying quality and experience is better. Not so when you tummy tells ya your still hungry and it is rumbling.

I get that everyone has different needs of food, and I get that European eating is very different than American eating.

image.png

But do not give me this elegant style eating of 2 bites please.

image.png

42 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Posted without Comment for Drew and Ocnblu....

May be a meme of 1 person and text that says 'Let's all just take a moment to appreciate David Beckham's watch.'

Do not forget the nut cracker Glutes! :P 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, David said:

Quality is very important to me too, but there should be no problem having quality with quantity. I honestly do not get these places that charge for what I would consider a normal size meal for most Americans and they serve you a little tiny bit of food saying quality and experience is better. Not so when you tummy tells ya your still hungry and it is rumbling.

I get that everyone has different needs of food, and I get that European eating is very different than American eating.

image.png

But do not give me this elegant style eating of 2 bites please.

image.png

Do not forget the nut cracker Glutes! :P 

I find  myself wanting to eat more healthy as I gt older. Lots of veggies, chicken, try to stay under a pound of read meat for the week. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I find  myself wanting to eat more healthy as I gt older. Lots of veggies, chicken, try to stay under a pound of read meat for the week. 

Totally respect that. Same here at 53, the focus is on quality of meal to balance my active life style. Core strength to stand tall and straight with healthy body.

:metal:

• Agree 1

Just now, David said:

Totally respect that. Same here at 53, the focus is on quality of meal to balance my active life style. Core strength to stand tall and straight with healthy body.

:metal:

Going hiking or riding this weekend, staying active...

May be an image of 1 person, sculpture and outdoors

Yes, I am a freak for anything made well out of wood. 

• Agree 3

@A Horse With No Name Skiing every weekend, also have started to get the garden going with planting of seeds in our greenhouse but plan to have another solid garden year like last year.

2020 garden.

20200708_163311.jpg

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, David said:

@A Horse With No Name Skiing every weekend, also have started to get the garden going with planting of seeds in our greenhouse but plan to have another solid garden year like last year.

2020 garden.

20200708_163311.jpg

Damn, that is sweet. Wroking with your hands is so healing and theraputic. 

• Agree 1

May be an image of outdoors

41 minutes ago, David said:

Here is how my garden was towards the end of the season. August 2020

20200811_093845.jpg

IMG_20200823_141643_502.jpg

See, this actually makes me like your home that much more. House is pretty standard run of the mill post WW 2 housing, but the garden is a fantastic and beautiful focal point.  I like it when one strong visual focual point exists to draw your attention. The garden is gorgeous....flat out gorgeous. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

See, this actually makes me like your home that much more. House is pretty standard run of the mill post WW 2 housing, but the garden is a fantastic and beautiful focal point.  I like it when one strong visual focual point exists to draw your attention. The garden is gorgeous....flat out gorgeous. 

Thank you, Yes I live in a basic Split level House built in 1952, total of 1600 sq ft. 4 bedroom 1 3/4 bath on a 1/4 acre pie shape lot in a Cul-D-Sac.

Here is from the latest snow storm here this year.

Poor SS got caught out in the Snow. 😢

20210213_135157.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Thank you, Yes I live in a basic Split level House built in 1952, total of 1600 sq ft. 4 bedroom 1 3/4 bath on a 1/4 acre pie shape lot in a Cul-D-Sac.

Here is from the latest snow storm here this year.

Poor SS got caught out in the Snow. 😢

20210213_135157.jpg

But the garden ios to die for....

• Agree 1

Yes, great garden.  I really haven't done much gardening, mostly been planting shrubbery in my back yard.   My cookie-cutter 1967 split level---2000 sq ft (+ 750 sq ft finished basement), 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms,  1/4 acre lot, undersized 2 car garage.  Wish the garage was bigger, but all in all I've been happy with it the last 4 years I've been here.    

IMG-2106.JPG

• Agree 4

38 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, great garden.  I really haven't done much gardening, mostly been planting shrubbery in my back yard.   My cookie-cutter 1967 split level---2000 sq ft (+ 750 sq ft finished basement), 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms,  1/4 acre lot, undersized 2 car garage.  Wish the garage was bigger, but all in all I've been happy with it the last 4 years I've been here.    

IMG-2106.JPG

Very nice house Robert. Here they call them a tri-level house as it looks like the right side is at a different level then the bedrooms over the garage area which are different than the right living space area. Love these homes and the brick work. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, David said:

Very nice house Robert. Here they call them a tri-level house as it looks like the right side is at a different level then the bedrooms over the garage area which are different than the right living space area. Love these homes and the brick work. 

Yes, 3 levels plus the basement.   The right side is living room, kitchen, dining room, 4 steps up from the front hallway and TV room...the TV room is at the same level as the garage, w/ a sliding door leading to the back patio...I have office space in the corner of the TV room and in one of the bedrooms. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, David said:

They really make me nostalgic for the time I was a kid. A lot of the homes of this era were really well built.

• Agree 1

On 3/23/2021 at 9:59 PM, riviera74 said:

I agree and people here are welcome to think I'm a dinosaur.  Less is more, on so many levels, and that includes cars.  I almost panic when I see the list of how many electric and automated regulating systems are already on cars, including entry-level cars under $20 K.  How long will they hold up before that econobox needs to go in for a malfunctioning major system? My teenage car featured ABS and traction control, standard, but not too much else.

I know we have some members who don't like Toyota much at all.  And I'm not crazy about them, especially how they look.  But, I was recently given a Camry as a rental, with a smooth shifting 8 speed automatic and a WHOPPING (by today's standards) 2.5 liters of 4 cylinder engine, with no turbo, and it pulls in highway fuel efficiency that is close to what a Malibu with a 1.5 T and a CVT pulls in. 

I'll take larger displacement ... and none of the gimmickry, for just a little less efficiency and more peace of mind.

8 hours ago, David said:

20210213_135157.jpg

Nice.  I remember these houses.  Your lot is unusually large.  All the latest construction in this area seems to be on no more than 7,000 sq. ft. lots, if that.  What a great mix - evergreens and snow being a rare event, so you appreciate it when you do get it.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

This photo didn't fit into any car spotting thread per se ...

KIMG9054.thumb.JPG.b1db39aac903624962a29ed1ac942908.JPG

... but I always like to look at these, especially when the lights are on - and somebody IS home, so to speak.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They really make me nostalgic for the time I was a kid. A lot of the homes of this era were really well built.

My next will be a ranch.  I hadn't lived with stairs since childhood, it's been painful at times going up and down 3 flights to do laundry.   Albeit short flights. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

My next will be a ranch.  I hadn't lived with stairs since childhood, it's been painful at times going up and down 3 flights to do laundry.   Albeit short flights. 

I live in a cookie cutter Neo-colonial two story here in Columbus. My neighbors are great. Really should move to where I can build an outbuilding for all of my tools. But I will never get neighbors this good again. 

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I agree and people here are welcome to think I'm a dinosaur.  Less is more, on so many levels, and that includes cars.  I almost panic when I see the list of how many electric and automated regulating systems are already on cars, including entry-level cars under $20 K.  How long will they hold up before that econobox needs to go in for a malfunctioning major system? My teenage car featured ABS and traction control, standard, but not too much else.

I know we have some members who don't like Toyota much at all.  And I'm not crazy about them, especially how they look.  But, I was recently given a Camry as a rental, with a smooth shifting 8 speed automatic and a WHOPPING (by today's standards) 2.5 liters of 4 cylinder engine, with no turbo, and it pulls in highway fuel efficiency that is close to what a Malibu with a 1.5 T and a CVT pulls in. 

I'll take larger displacement ... and none of the gimmickry, for just a little less efficiency and more peace of mind.

Nice.  I remember these houses.  Your lot is unusually large.  All the latest construction in this area seems to be on no more than 7,000 sq. ft. lots, if that.  What a great mix - evergreens and snow being a rare event, so you appreciate it when you do get it.

Camry would be my choice for a sedan in that segment. They also still offer a V6, or did so until recently. I still have all ten fingers. 

May be an image of one or more people, food and text that says 'WEIRD HISTORY CREDIT: United Artists Tough guy actor, Lee Van Cleef of The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly was rumored to have lost the tip of his finger in a bar fight. But the true story actually involves a tablesaw and his daughter's playhouse.'

• Sad 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I live in a cookie cutter Neo-colonial two story here in Columbus. My neighbors are great. Really should move to where I can build an outbuilding for all of my tools. But I will never get neighbors this good again. 

I’d really like to have an additional garage or small barn to have space for a project car and to tinker.  Something quasi-rural but not really rural like my family farm.  

• Agree 3

Just now, Robert Hall said:

I’d really like to have an additional garage or small barn to have space for a project car and to tinker.  Something quasi-rural but not really rural like my family farm.  

Yeah, I don't want a lot of land to take care of, but I am out of space for machines. 

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Was in a similar split-level today to do an estimate (gut & remodel both upstairs bathrooms).

Grew up in a 2-story Colonial, didn't like stairs then, had a ranch custom-built I'll have been in for 29 years this November.

Awesome, I would love to be in a custom ranch style rambler. Sadly, that would require me moving to an area that has slow internet speed which I need for work and the wife not being near our kids and the suburban area. So I am planning to remodel and add onto my house with a mother-inlaw apartment which I can rent out till my old age makes having a single level living space a must, then the daughter will move back home into the rest of the house is the plan. We will expand the regular house to have a more professional kitchen since the wife and I love to cook and remodel the rest of the house with an updated master bedroom.

Love to see pictures of your house some time.

• Agree 2

Truck is getting a workout. The smaller log I got out by putting black iron pipes under it and rolling it out....the larger log I am going to have to cut down paritally in the bed. I may need to get an  hoist if I keep working with large logs. 

May be an image of tree and outdoors

I could also see building some sort of shop made gantry crane...

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Would be really cool to get an old dealer/service building like this and tinker all day. Letter up the outside with defunct brand names; something like "Balthazar Pontiac-DeSoto". 

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 5.45.09 PM.png

57 Ford on the right really just has the look, bravo on the picture. 

26 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Power been off a few hours from a storm.  Ugh 

tenor.gif

One good 50's Ford deserves another one. 

May be an image of car and outdoors

Family sedan big comparison from Motor Trend. No domestic manufacturer left in the segment.

Family-Sedan Comparison Test: 2021 Honda Accord vs. Camry, K5, Sonata, Altima, Legacy, and Mazda 6 (motortrend.com)

7th Place: Nissan Altima

We've seen what the new Nissan can do with the Sentra and Rogue. We hope the next Altima follows that path.

6th Place: Toyota Camry

In a segment known for blandness, the Camry conspicuously fails to bring anything spicier than a value proposition.

5th Place: Mazda 6

Once king of the segment, now resting on its laurels. The 6 continues to be the driver's car, but Mazda's failure to update it has kicked it off the podium.

4th Place: Hyundai Sonata

Hyundai continues its march of success, and the Sonata is proof of that. If its engineering can catch up to its looks, the Sonata will be sitting in the front row.

3rd Place: Subaru Legacy

It might be the shy kid in the class, but once you sit in the driver's seat, the Legacy will show its charm. A well-deserved podium finisher.

2nd Place: Kia K5

Once again, Kia has shown us what it's capable of. The K5 is the most recent example of what the Korean brand can accomplish.

1st Place: Honda Accord

The Accord raises the bar. Spacious, refined, roomy, elegant—it's the one we'd all buy. By unanimous decision, Honda took home the gold medal.

• Agree 3