Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Family sedan big comparison from Motor Trend. No domestic manufacturer left in the segment.

It really makes no sense any longer to segregate sedans & CUVs from each other- they are 90% interchangable.
Especially with sedan sales falling off a cliff and CUVs replacing them.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Family sedan big comparison from Motor Trend. No domestic manufacturer left in the segment.

Family-Sedan Comparison Test: 2021 Honda Accord vs. Camry, K5, Sonata, Altima, Legacy, and Mazda 6 (motortrend.com)

7th Place: Nissan Altima

We've seen what the new Nissan can do with the Sentra and Rogue. We hope the next Altima follows that path.

6th Place: Toyota Camry

In a segment known for blandness, the Camry conspicuously fails to bring anything spicier than a value proposition.

5th Place: Mazda 6

Once king of the segment, now resting on its laurels. The 6 continues to be the driver's car, but Mazda's failure to update it has kicked it off the podium.

4th Place: Hyundai Sonata

Hyundai continues its march of success, and the Sonata is proof of that. If its engineering can catch up to its looks, the Sonata will be sitting in the front row.

3rd Place: Subaru Legacy

It might be the shy kid in the class, but once you sit in the driver's seat, the Legacy will show its charm. A well-deserved podium finisher.

2nd Place: Kia K5

Once again, Kia has shown us what it's capable of. The K5 is the most recent example of what the Korean brand can accomplish.

1st Place: Honda Accord

The Accord raises the bar. Spacious, refined, roomy, elegant—it's the one we'd all buy. By unanimous decision, Honda took home the gold medal.

On the contrary, resale and the available V6 could sell me on the Camry, Altima is an easy target for people who don't like mainstream cars but it is vastly improoved, Mazda 6 has sublime handling, the Sonata is attractive and (non car geek people) people seem to just love Hyundai products. The Subaru was a really good AWD system. 

The Accord is not nearly as sporty, even in Sport trim as a Jetta GLI.  The Turbo 1.5 I don't think is going to be especially reliable long term, and again, talking with body shop people and my claims adjsuter daughter, the tubo 4 is easily damaged in accidents, frequently resulting in a total loss. 

For the price of a new Accord, one can buy a nearly new or CPO luxury sedan. 

Just playing contrarian. 

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It really makes no sense any longer to segregate sedans & CUVs from each other- they are 90% interchangable.

Also, nothing in that segment is especially inspired. Jetta GLI is as close as anything gets to inspring. 

So inspring in fact that after considering the GLI hard, I bought a truck instead. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Classic Nissan, LAST. 

If only the rest of the product lineup was anywhere close to as inspired as the GTR

Couple of sexy well dressed men for those so inclined. 

May be an image of 2 people, people standing, shorts and text that says 'Mens short long sleeve business shirts $299 EA. Polyester/cotton In white and pastels 37-44. Fashion ties $399 EA. Prints and woven Look smart in Target tie. Fashion shorts $799 EA. Fashion shorts in good range styles. 3-7, 5%, 6%, 7%4. Leather belts 112" size $259 Other sizes and prices avallable too. Walk socks 99C PR. Machine washable, 1 size fits all. Assorted colours.'

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Honda sold 200k Accords last year.  So the numbers are far from insignificant.  However, they do decline, in 2017 the sold like 320k of them.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ykX said:

Honda sold 200k Accords last year.  So the numbers are far from insignificant.  However, they do decline, in 2017 the sold like 320k of them.

It's still an amazing car. But one could rationalize a lot of other purhcase decisions. 

Norway:

May be an image of lake, mountain and nature

57 Roadmaster. 

May be an image of car and outdoors

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of 2 people, people standing, shorts and text that says 'Mens short long sleeve business shirts $299 EA. Polyester/cotton In white and pastels 37-44. Fashion ties $399 EA. Prints and woven Look smart in Target tie. Fashion shorts $799 EA. Fashion shorts in good range styles. 3-7, 5%, 6%, 7%4. Leather belts 112" size $259 Other sizes and prices avallable too. Walk socks 99C PR. Machine washable, 1 size fits all. Assorted colours.'

A couple of sexy, well dressed men in their twilight of their years, singing the macarena joined by a couple of young, sexy well dressed men. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, ykX said:

Go back to 2014 and it was 388K. That's nearly a 50% drop. At this rate by 2027 it'll be down to 100K accords.

Meanwhile the CR-V is holding pretty steady in the mid-300K range in the same period.

On a side note, I guess I didn't realize Honda pulled the plug on the Element 10 years ago now.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If only the rest of the product lineup was anywhere close to as inspired as the GTR

...as the GT-R 13 years ago. It's been left on the clothes line to dry for a bit too long now. 

54 minutes ago, ykX said:

200k and vehicles that sold 200-300k each have been dropped from the segment(Fusion & Malibu).

200k looks pretty bad when you realize that, imo.  

• Agree 1

Some very cool 1968 sketches on the GM instagram thread today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM2xA1YJGZt/

Hungarian-American designer Geza Loczi created these beautifully expressive sketches in 1968. Mr. Loczi worked at GM, VW and is currently a Design director at Volvo. A graduate of ArtCenter College, he taught Transportation Design from 1986-1996. From the GM Design Archive & Special Collections.⁠⠀

The very first sketch is right up @balthazar alley!

Course being that the sketches are all Olds auto's very much right up @oldshurst442 Alley for sure!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Short sleeve dress shirts w/ ties and shorts...very strange.  Maybe a 70s Florida thing? 

Per the text of the ad, color is spelled colour.  I'm betting this ad was directed at Canadians or, since they use the dollar as well, maybe at Australians or New Zealanders.  These guys don't look very "American" to me.

On 3/25/2021 at 2:56 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of car and outdoors

May be an image of text that says 'CLOSE OUT PRICES! BRAND NEW POWER GLIDE. POWER STEERING TINTED GLASS, PADDED DASH, WSW's BUCKET SEATS, CONSOLE 1963 IMPALA SPORT COUPE SUPER $279700 $300 DOWN BUYS ANY NEW CHEVROLET LEASE MAKES AND MODELS GUARANTY 281-5511 CHEVROLET 4050 EL CAJON BLVD. FANTASTIC DEALS ON ALL 1964 MODELS!!!!'

Very interesting ... I wonder where this "very" pink photos is ... thinking Savannah, Charleston, or other historic Southern coastal cities.

Good on him or her.  They snagged the right license plate sequence for that Riv.  These used to hurt my eyes but, now, when I do see them, I appreciate them and that people are taking care of these polarizing vehicles.

The Chevy ad was probably in the San Diego Tribune.  El Cajon Blvd.  The price makes sense, in a way.  The barebones Maverick was introduced for $ 1,999, I think.  But, look at what you started out with:  a 170 c.i. inline 6, a "3 on the tree," nasty plaid bench seats, hubcaps, and no carpeting.  With this one, it's more, but you got an automatic transmission (Power Glide), probably a V8, and trim items like buckets/console and wheel covers/WSW tires.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 10:03 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

Looks very Bahama or Caribbean style to me for the 60's or 70's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

^ After the initial year ('62), all Impala SS's were V8s. In '63, that started with the 283, went thru numerous 327s, a couple of 409s and a 427. SS package has a lot of unique trim & details, also.

There was a 283 V8 in my parents' driveway at some point.

I know that they were very good engines.  I'm not sure if the 307 and the327 used either the same bore OR stroke.  It also seemed that the 307 skipped over Impala/Caprice and was slotted into Malibu/Chevelle.  I'm not sure.

So, it's funny that 307 c.i. worth of displacement shows up again, in 5.0 liter form and as an Oldsmobile small block V8, in the early '80s, and possibly the late '70s.  And turned out to be such a great engine that it was chosen to power top of the line Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham et. al. just like a TBI Olds 350 V8 was chosen to power the first Cadillac Seville.  I love that "family" of engines.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

I don't pay much 'engine attention' to Chevys, so I would have to look up the specs, but 283-327 are the same family. 307 I couldn't say. 307 definitely was available in the full-size Chevys, too.

It's not that it was a "great" engine so they put it in the Fleetwood for a bit, it's that Cadillac would rather have an engine association with an upper Division like Olds, rather than the entry-level Division of Chevrolet. Once the Olds V8 was gone, Cadillac went right over to the 'Chevy' V8 line.

• Agree 1

While not about auto's, this video does have me cracking up as I love our multi-Cultural world. So fun seeing how people behave in the US when they come here from China and are talked to in their own language by a white guy.

• Thanks 1