Random Thoughts Thread

14 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I love the A340, but its time has come and gone. Kind of digging the sleek look of two engine planes lately.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. After the 747, it was my favorite aircraft on which to cross the pond.  Since the A340's engines were smaller, it still managed to look sleek.

This one (could even be a 340-200) belonged to Air France.

Air_France_F-GLZP_A340.jpg

It's sad that Olympic of Greece no longer crosses the Atlantic and is now a Europe-only carrier.  Here was theirs, with a great paint scheme.

Olympic.a340-300.sx-dfb.arp.jpg

This one (probably a 340-300) from Iberia is either taking off from or landing at Madrid.  Poetic!

800px-Airbus_A340-313X,_Iberia_AN0332842

And, finally, here's one from Air Canada (probably a 340-600 with those bigger engines) with their recent and cleaner livery.

Airbus_A340-541,_Air_Canada_AN0962152.jp

(I see the tip of a snow capped mountain peak in the background.)

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. After the 747, it was my favorite aircraft on which to cross the pond.  Since the A340's engines were smaller, it still managed to look sleek.

This one (could even be a 340-200) belonged to Air France.

Air_France_F-GLZP_A340.jpg

It's sad that Olympic of Greece no longer crosses the Atlantic and is now a Europe-only carrier.  Here was theirs, with a great paint scheme.

Olympic.a340-300.sx-dfb.arp.jpg

This one (probably a 340-300) from Iberia is either taking off from or landing at Madrid.  Poetic!

800px-Airbus_A340-313X,_Iberia_AN0332842

And, finally, here's one from Air Canada (probably a 340-600 with those bigger engines) with their recent and cleaner livery.

Airbus_A340-541,_Air_Canada_AN0962152.jp

(I see the tip of a snow capped mountain peak in the background.)

This, along with the 787, 717, and A380 never had a fatality in all its years of flying IIRC.

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and text that says 'Remember when UNION TAND UNION ST We didn't go in public wearing pajamas'

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

It may be tacky, but Dubai is sort of on my bucket list.  Sort of.

dubai32.jpg

84557b536f1b55015a91046e70ba4a16.jpg

only-in-dubai-8-1.jpg

Palm-Jumeirah.jpg

India, several places in Europe, South America, and South Africa/Namibia are ahead of it on my bucket list. 

May be an image of dog and text that says 'SOME SMELLS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT FLOWERS, BABY SKIN, PUPPY BREATH, BURNING FLESH OF YOUR ENEMIES, COFFEE'

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Therapist: So what's been on your mind lately? Me: When Snoop Dogg turns 60, he will be 420 in dog years. Therapist: @milo69club'

May be an image of text that says 'GPS SAYS... TURN TLEFT NOW!'

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Saw the MT articles on it. Great starting price point but I really wish they had not slapped a CVT in there for the hybrid.

Yeah, that seems a little odd and I cannot see it lasting long if the owner utilizes the max payload/towing all that often. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'm sure there'll be a writeup here about it but here's the '22 Maverick.

2022-Ford-Maverick.jpg

That looks really good. At a price point south of the Ranger, this might be an awesome little truck. 

44 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Saw the MT articles on it. Great starting price point but I really wish they had not slapped a CVT in there for the hybrid.

The ten speed in my Ranger is fantastic, would not want a CVT. 

May be an image of nature

Moab, Utah. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'm sure there'll be a writeup here about it but here's the '22 Maverick.

2022-Ford-Maverick.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, totally forgot about this as a crazy week for me.

Ford's press release here: 40 MPG City. Standard Hybrid. Seats Five. Starts Under $20K. All-New 2022 Ford Maverick: Did We Mention It’s a Truck? | Ford Media Center

Ford Complete Truck Lineup now with the Maverick.

F-250_F-150_Lightning_F-150_Ranger_Ford_Maverick.jpg

Ton's of documents and pictures at the press release posted above and below here:

40 MPG City. Standard Hybrid. Seats Five. Starts Under $20K. All-New 2022 Ford Maverick: Did We Mention It’s a Truck? | Ford Media Center

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Have to say that I hope they revamp the front end of the Ranger to more closely align with the rest of the truck famliy.

Overall a good lookin lineup.

Looking at the press release, I have to say I am not impressed with some of the power figures:

• Hybrid - 2.5L Atikinson-cycle four-cylinder hybrid powertrain - 191HP / 155 lb-ft of torque with CVT. EPA-estimated 40 mpg city / 37 mpg combined. with 13.8 gallon tank, 500 miles per tank. 1,500lbs payload / 2,000 lbs towing.
  • 2.0L EcoBoost, 250hp / 277 lb-ft of torque with 8sp transmission, FWD or AWD configuration. 4K towing package doubles the towing to 4,000 lbs
  • Apple/Android system inside, FIT's system for those with 3D printers, Co-Pilot 360, etc.
  • FlexBed with tie-downs, slots, etc for customization of bed use. Two 110 outlets in the bed to go along with USB and 110 outlets in the cab. Bed is 4.5 feet long.
  • Maverick to be offered in 3 trim levels, XL, XLT and Lariat at launch. FX4 package can be added to the XLT or Lariat AWD versions only.

Over all a decent little truck, only mistake I see is the CVT on the Hybrid.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Apparently…. The First Ever Chick Truck. With a standard subcompact bed. 😉

Some woman might disagree with you thinking this is for the Men and a Raptor is for the WoMan! :P 

12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

At least they had sense enough to use the 8 speed for the AWD model.

Does make one wonder what the MPG difference was between using the 8 spd and if they had put in the 10 spd. 🤔

57 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Apparently…. The First Ever Chick Truck. With a standard subcompact bed. 😉

(Remembers living in Arizona for twelve years and seeing all those "chicks" driving useless jacked up/lifted Pick Ups")

1527683366_image.jpg.5a2d3b292915431ff32a951629e01ae3.jpg

364201.jpg.2b8d7c26feb70e57af17cc9f94de907b.jpg

22c31e613e36324c7912193becb299f1.thumb.jpg.95e741df50cbf7afc4aa692baf4b6c59.jpg

In other words, it shouldn't matter if it is a "chick" truck. Just skip the fact that Fords best selling full size pick up comes with a bed that is a whole foot longer than the much smaller Maverick. 

55 minutes ago, David said:

Some woman might disagree with you thinking this is for the Men and a Raptor is for the WoMan! :P 

Does make one wonder what the MPG difference was between using the 8 spd and if they had put in the 10 spd. 🤔

The 10 speed is for RWD applications I believe. The 8 speed should be fine.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

In other words, it shouldn't matter if it is a "chick" truck. Just skip the fact that Fords best selling full size pick up comes with a bed that is a whole foot longer than the much smaller Maverick. 

I know it doesn't matter but that first pic, the wheel is also on the curb... Regardless, I get your point, lol. 

@David, the 10spd is for RWD applications and their 8/9spd is for FWD applications. (I thought it was originally a 9spd co-developed with GM but I see them only using 8spd versions).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Interesting to read about what happened there. I'm not sure on the accuracy of this because of the age and I'm not sure what Ford REALLY ended up using but this said they didn't utilize the 9spd from GM.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-gm-nine-speed-transmission-shared-news/

" Several years ago, we reported that Ford and General Motors had agreed to work together on a pair of next-generation transmissions. GM was tasked with developing a nine-speed automatic for front-wheel-drive vehicles while Ford worked on a 10-speed for rear-drive applications. In theory, they'd be able to use the other's transmission and each save money. In reality, things went a little differently.

Automotive News reports that while GM has been happy to use Ford's 10-speed in several vehicles such as the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and Cadillac Escalade, Ford has yet to use GM's nine-speed. Instead, Ford developed a modified eight-speed version that will appear in the 2019 Focus, as well as several other 2019 models. It began work on two additional eight-speed automatics—one for performance use and one for smaller engines. The reason? GM's nine-speed didn't provide enough of a boost in fuel economy.

"The small efficiency benefit did not justify the added weight and cost of an extra clutch and gear," a Ford spokesperson told Automotive News in a statement.

"We've engineered our nine-speeds for even more refined shifts," a GM spokesperson told Automotive News in a statement. "Smaller steps between gears in a nine vs. an eight-speed enable smoother shifts for customers." "

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

(Remembers living in Arizona for twelve years and seeing all those "chicks" driving useless jacked up/lifted Pick Ups")

1527683366_image.jpg.5a2d3b292915431ff32a951629e01ae3.jpg

I remember something my wife told me, Seeing a Woman dressed like this in Stiletto's indicates they like their men Tall and Long! ;) 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Interesting to read about what happened there. I'm not sure on the accuracy of this because of the age and I'm not sure what Ford REALLY ended up using but this said they didn't utilize the 9spd from GM.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-gm-nine-speed-transmission-shared-news/

" Several years ago, we reported that Ford and General Motors had agreed to work together on a pair of next-generation transmissions. GM was tasked with developing a nine-speed automatic for front-wheel-drive vehicles while Ford worked on a 10-speed for rear-drive applications. In theory, they'd be able to use the other's transmission and each save money. In reality, things went a little differently.

Automotive News reports that while GM has been happy to use Ford's 10-speed in several vehicles such as the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and Cadillac Escalade, Ford has yet to use GM's nine-speed. Instead, Ford developed a modified eight-speed version that will appear in the 2019 Focus, as well as several other 2019 models. It began work on two additional eight-speed automatics—one for performance use and one for smaller engines. The reason? GM's nine-speed didn't provide enough of a boost in fuel economy.

"The small efficiency benefit did not justify the added weight and cost of an extra clutch and gear," a Ford spokesperson told Automotive News in a statement.

"We've engineered our nine-speeds for even more refined shifts," a GM spokesperson told Automotive News in a statement. "Smaller steps between gears in a nine vs. an eight-speed enable smoother shifts for customers." "

I will say that is one thing I love about my Escalade is the silky smooth shifting even under aggressive throttle. Like a hot knife through butter.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Only goes to show that lifted trucks are nothing but "chick trucks" lol!

Hot Chick Trucks! ;) 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, David said:

@surreal1272 Found the video of those woman above.

That is impressive.  Seems like too much work for me to get in and out of though.

Id rather just do a hood/roof slide and jump right in... faster, cleaner and more efficient. 

Best Hood Slide GIFs | Gfycat

Plus...muscle car!!! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

That is impressive.  Seems like to much work for me to get in and out of though.

Id rather just do a hood/roof slide and jump right in... faster, cleaner and more efficient. 

Plus...muscle car!!! 

But, But, But the scenery is so nice with woman and lifted trucks! ;) :P 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

And by 'go away'; allow me to clarify.
Via my experiences I place sales persons ABOVE marketing; I've found them to be more honest that the ads/press releases.

I think you and I tend to shop the same, give me the facts, we set the stage, expectations by telling the sales person how what and when. Pretty much taking out all their game play.

The Worst seem to be used auto sales people, then Ford, Ram and GM for people that smile to your face and lie knowing next to nothing about the auto. Yes Asian and European auto sales are just as bad, but I mostly just deal with used and American.

At least with Marketing, they are doing their best to put a positive spin on the data they are provided. 

Sales People suck BIG TIME for the manipulation I see they try on people all the time from monthly payment focus rather than the true cost of the auto to stupid add on stuff.

The reason so many family and friends have me help them buy an auto is that they hate dealing with the sales process.

12 minutes ago, David said:

But, But, But the scenery is so nice with woman and lifted trucks! ;) :P 

I prefer this kind of scenery.   Besides, she seems to be smarter and more down to earth.  Although I do understand that bimbos exist with all the various car niches... 

Pin on Auto

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I've been thinking about cars.  

First, my sled is running fine.  

Next, I don't know what to buy sooner than later.  My accumulated GM points are looking pretty good.  (I am almost sure you can't use you them on CPO.)  That aside, do I chuck them and get something get something other than GM - domestic, or even foreign?

Then, assuming I go toward a smaller, more economical car on the next purchase, how about looking for a cheap daily driver like this?

1994-Chevrolet-Lumina-FrontSide_CHLUMEUR

Not a Lumina Euro, but the basic coupe with a 2.2 Ecotec, no electric gizmos, and low mileage (if I can find one) to putt around in?  It's the only W-body with a 4 banger.  If it has wheel covers, I'll swap them over to stock alloys.  I've got a weird thing for basic GM coupes with the smaller base engines and engine bays where you can spot everything and can see the ground ... if that isn't apparent by the crap I post.

But I'd be breaking my rule and going back to two cars.  Which then would probably prompt me to drive around more.

17 hours ago, David said:

I remember something my wife told me, Seeing a Woman dressed like this in Stiletto's indicates they like their men Tall and Long! ;) 

I will say that is one thing I love about my Escalade is the silky smooth shifting even under aggressive throttle. Like a hot knife through butter.

We can test aggressive throttle mode when I come out to Seattle next week.

17 hours ago, David said:

@surreal1272 Found the video of those woman above.

Fail. No wardrobe malfunctions with above-mentioned truck entries.

• Haha 2

I can't put this on the June spotting thread ... because I spotted it in my imagination ... and laughed.

- - - - - 

I saw

this person

driving 

this "car"

and saying, "Candy, little girl?" from its windows.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I can't put this on the June spotting thread ... because I spotted it in my imagination ... and laughed.

- - - - - 

I saw

this person

driving 

this "car"

and saying, "Candy, little girl?" from its windows.

Was thinking of you, think you may want to re think your vehicle choices. I still vote for Charger even though you have a ton of points on your GM card. And Gryes look good on the charger, you may want to consider them over white. 

White still looks good though. 

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'When your sugar daddy wants to show you stuff he grew up with back in his day'

May be an image of outdoors

Adam ondre free climbing el capitan....

This should be a required accesory for all of you folks here that like 70's era cars...

May be an image of text

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'Not for sale. I'm gonna fix it up one day.'

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Was thinking of you, think you may want to re think your vehicle choices. I still vote for Charger even though you have a ton of points on your GM card. And Gryes look good on the charger, you may want to consider them over white. 

White still looks good though. 

May be an image of outdoors

Adam ondre free climbing el capitan....

I know ... I know.  The Charger remains high on my list.  Thanks for the support!

I saw (part of) this crazy movie called "Free Solo" on an airplane flight.  I was flipping through channels.  I would look at it ... and then look away.  Read up on Alex Honnold, the person the movie is about.  See what happens when you go to Berkeley?

15 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I know ... I know.  The Charger remains high on my list.  Thanks for the support!

I saw (part of) this crazy movie called "Free Solo" on an airplane flight.  I was flipping through channels.  I would look at it ... and then look away.  Read up on Alex Honnold, the person the movie is about.  See what happens when you go to Berkeley?

In another automotive forum I am on, Berkley is a fill in word for the "F" bomb. Which gives your post a whole new meaning. Finally did buy a Stereo amplifier to replace my 35 year old amp that quit working. Schiit (see, now two bad words....but the actual name of the company) Vidar (they name all of their stuff after Norse Gods). 

My buddy was like....buy it...it's what you really want. 

Could have bought a used Adcom 555 for half of the price in good shape. But sometimes, you have to do what you know in your heart feels wrong. 

1 hour ago, ykX said:

FB_IMG_1623324660622.jpg

The origjnal 64 1/2-66 6 cylinder cars had about this much real world power.....used to be in a classic Mustang Club when I had my 289 4 speed 66 Fastback. 

My Cannondale and my Mountain bike are substantially faster. 

• Haha 1