• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Chevrolet News:2016 Chevrolet Volt Gets Rated By the EPA

Today, Chevrolet and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have released the numbers for the 2016 Volt and they are noticeably better than the outgoing model.

The EPA rates the Volt at 106 Miles Per Gallon Equivalent (MPGe) combined when operating solely on electricity, and 42 MPG combined when the gas engine is running. To put this into perspective, the current Volt gets 98 MPGe when running on electricity and 39 MPG combined when the gas engine is running.

Overall electric range has seen a big jump as well with the 2016 Volt. The EPA says the model will deliver 53 Miles of range on electric power alone. That is a huge increase compared to the 39 Miles of total electric range on the current Volt.

“We listened to our customers. They were very clear when they told us that they wanted more range, and a fun driving experience behind the wheel. We are confident that the 2016 Volt delivers both,” said Andrew Farah, vehicle chief engineer for the Volt.

Source: Chevrolet

Press Release is on Page 2

The Results Are In: More Range for the 2016 Volt

• EPA-estimated pure electric range is 53 miles

DETROIT – The 2016 Volt is engineered to offer customers more of what they want: range, range and more range.
The Volt’s all-new second-generation Voltec extended-range electric propulsion system delivers 53 miles of pure EV range, based on EPA testing. That is nearly a 40-percent improvement over the first-generation Volt.
Chevrolet expects many next-generation Volt owners will use power solely from their batteries for more than 90 percent of trips. Today, Volt owners use battery power on 80 percent of their trips.
This means the average Volt owner could expect to travel well over 1,000 miles between gas fill ups, if they charge regularly.
For the first 53 miles, the Volt can drive gas and tailpipe-emissions free using a full charge of electricity stored in its new 18.4-kWh lithium-ion battery, rated at a combined 106 MPGe, or gasoline equivalent. When the Volt’s battery runs low, a gas-powered generator seamlessly operates to extend the driving range for a total of 420 miles on a full tank.
“We listened to our customers,” said Andrew Farah, vehicle chief engineer, “They were very clear when they told us that they wanted more range, and a fun driving experience behind the wheel. We are confident that the 2016 Volt delivers both.”
The next-generation Volt’s new 1.5L range-extender, designed to use regular unleaded fuel, offers a combined EPA-estimated fuel efficiency of 42 MPG.
Data shows that drivers of the first-generation Volt achieved, and often exceeded, the published EPA-estimated mileage. Chevrolet expects the same label-exceeding result with the next-generation Volt.

View full article

42 mpg on gas isn't particularly impressive, but it's important to note that first gen owners actually GOT the rated efficiency. A lot of hybrids advertising 45+ mpg can't say that. 53 miles on battery charge is quite nice, though.

42 mpg on gas isn't particularly impressive, but it's important to note that first gen owners actually GOT the rated efficiency. A lot of hybrids advertising 45+ mpg can't say that. 53 miles on battery charge is quite nice, though.

42mpg combined is what the writeup says. At least I took that as City/Highway/Combined - and the 42 was the "combined".

42mpg combined is what the writeup says. At least I took that as City/Highway/Combined - and the 42 was the "combined".

I know it's 42 combined. A lot of hybrids, especially dedicated ones like the Prius, are higher than that.

I know it's 42 combined. A lot of hybrids, especially dedicated ones like the Prius, are higher than that.

Oh I gotcha I gotcha..

Future will be cars like the VOLT and BOLT as the Gov pushes to do away with Petrol auto's. I saw a VOLT gen 1 that had the generator motor converted to run CNG, so pretty clean for an alternative Hybrid.

a good friend who owns a Volt says he gets 45 mpg on gas on his right now, and that is on long highway trip with 4 ppl inside.  actually he says the mileage is pretty much 40+ no matter what when just running on gas.  If the new one is better.....

I actually looked at a used 2013 Volt a couple weeks ago, and test drove it, it got sold (it was a screaming deal) but one thing that was in my mind is should a person wait till the range and mpg get even better yet.  I really think a cruze diesel, or a volt, or even the new Malibu hybrid will all be good ways to drive with less fuel / elec.  The used volt was getting really cheap.........

i would be all go on a current Cruze diesel but the 2017 has the chance to get better mpg yet.  For me the question i ask myself is whether i really want every day to have to plug the thing in (PITA) and how the volt ultimately does in winter.

Over in CF we used to have a Volt owner who lived in Toronto. He loved the thing.

Edited by El Kabong

Over in CF we used to have a Volt owner who lived in Toronto. He loved the thing.

My dad would have bought one, closer to when they came out, for my mom. The concept is fantastic. He doesn't want full electric and the range issue, my mom lives 3 miles from her job(never even use gas), but they drive to my sister's in Iowa every couple of months(6hrs one way) or visit my brother at school(2+hrs one way). The only thing that kept him from buying one was the price. He's a very practical man and ran the numbers and it didn't logically make sense with the vehicle price so high still and the unknown of the brand new vehicle. They ended up with a '12 Fusion with the 2.5l.Nice car but I wish they would have held off till the '13's came out.

MPG in the Volt is a lot more "your mileage may vary" than standard gas cars.   It greatly depends on the terrain and driving style.   Heading east bound on the Penna TPK end to end, you can get into the 70+mpg range.  Heading westbound you'll just get EPA rating.   Why?  Because the Volt can effectively re-fuel on the downhill stretches and use that for the uphill.  Eastbound there is more downhill than uphill, so the Volt spends a lot more time regenerating its batteries via the car's inertia rather than the gas engine.  

Because it has more battery capacity and power than a regular hybrid, the Volt gets to take greater advantage of the downward momentum.   Regular hybrids like the Fusion or Pruis can have their batteries recharged rather quickly on the downhill sections, and once those batteries are full, the excess energy is wasted as heat. 

The 42mpg EPA rating is actually a bit of a disservice to the Volt since the actual results can vary so widely.... it needs to be more of a range of efficiency rather than a single number. 

• Upvote 1

a good friend who owns a Volt says he gets 45 mpg on gas on his right now, and that is on long highway trip with 4 ppl inside.  actually he says the mileage is pretty much 40+ no matter what when just running on gas.  If the new one is better.....

I actually looked at a used 2013 Volt a couple weeks ago, and test drove it, it got sold (it was a screaming deal) but one thing that was in my mind is should a person wait till the range and mpg get even better yet.  I really think a cruze diesel, or a volt, or even the new Malibu hybrid will all be good ways to drive with less fuel / elec.  The used volt was getting really cheap.........

i would be all go on a current Cruze diesel but the 2017 has the chance to get better mpg yet.  For me the question i ask myself is whether i really want every day to have to plug the thing in (PITA) and how the volt ultimately does in winter.

My test with the Volt was in winter time and it was fantastic.  Just schlepping around town and plugging it in at night I got something like 700mpg since I never used the gas.   I have a garage, so plugging it in wasn't an issue... pull in, close the door, pop the plug cover, plug it in, go inside.

The great thing (possibly my favorite thing) about the Volt was the ability to turn it on remotely and have it pre-heat itself off of house current even with the garage door closed.

• Upvote 1

My test with the Volt was in winter time and it was fantastic.  Just schlepping around town and plugging it in at night I got something like 700mpg since I never used the gas.   I have a garage, so plugging it in wasn't an issue... pull in, close the door, pop the plug cover, plug it in, go inside.

The great thing (possibly my favorite thing) about the Volt was the ability to turn it on remotely and have it pre-heat itself off of house current even with the garage door closed.

Whoa. That's awesome.

I really like the idea of te plug-in hybrid design. I like it more than any other hybrid drivetrain out there, as of now at least.

The 42mpg EPA rating is actually a bit of a disservice to the Volt since the actual results can vary so widely.... it needs to be more of a range of efficiency rather than a single number. 

The rating was done on a conservative side because since day one, everything pertaining to this car has been a political maelstrom to disservice GM. In the current Volt I have friends and colleagues that see 50MPG regularly when the EV is done. I'm betting smart money that this one is gonna beat that number by at least 10 in tests.

The rating was done on a conservative side because since day one, everything pertaining to this car has been a political maelstrom to disservice GM. In the current Volt I have friends and colleagues that see 50MPG regularly when the EV is done. I'm betting smart money that this one is gonna beat that number by at least 10 in tests.

I have friends that have a Volt and only fill up 3 times a year, but still do 15,000 miles a year.  They're just in the perfect part of the segment with 30 mile round trip commutes.

With my 24 mile round trip commute, five days a week, the Volt is the perfect kind of car for a guy like me. Would save me so much money in the long run.

With my 24 mile round trip commute, five days a week, the Volt is the perfect kind of car for a guy like me. Would save me so much money in the long run.

If you don't mind leasing, the deals on the Volt really would save you money.

Very true but I tend to keep my cars for more than a few years these days so financing one is not a big deal for me.

Very true but I tend to keep my cars for more than a few years these days so financing one is not a big deal for me.

True, but run the numbers.  You usually get the full force of the tax credit built right in and GM likes leasing them. 

My friends ended up leasing theirs so cheap, the savings in fuel costs each month (they came from an old Pathfiner or 4Runner) completely covered the monthly leasing costs.  It also only increased their electric bill about $35 a month.

And THIS is why you don't try and squeeze every last molecule of fuel in a quest for paper mpg numbers and then shout it from the rafters. This car is a technological marvel, but we can't discount the fact that GM's conservative approach has helped the car punch above its weight mileage-wise.

MPG in the Volt is a lot more "your mileage may vary" than standard gas cars.   It greatly depends on the terrain and driving style.   Heading east bound on the Penna TPK end to end, you can get into the 70+mpg range.  Heading westbound you'll just get EPA rating.   Why?  Because the Volt can effectively re-fuel on the downhill stretches and use that for the uphill.  Eastbound there is more downhill than uphill, so the Volt spends a lot more time regenerating its batteries via the car's inertia rather than the gas engine.  

Because it has more battery capacity and power than a regular hybrid, the Volt gets to take greater advantage of the downward momentum.   Regular hybrids like the Fusion or Pruis can have their batteries recharged rather quickly on the downhill sections, and once those batteries are full, the excess energy is wasted as heat. 

that is a good explanation telling how sophisticated it is 

now that is EXTREMELY appealing, is there a safeguard in place so that under no condition the gas engine will start in that scenario?

now that is EXTREMELY appealing, is there a safeguard in place so that under no condition the gas engine will start in that scenario?

When it is plugged in, the gas engine will not start.  The only issue is if you forgot to plug in the car, then the gas motor could start, but due to a recall, it will now shut off after 10 minutes of no activity.  

• Upvote 1

True, but run the numbers.  You usually get the full force of the tax credit built right in and GM likes leasing them. 

My friends ended up leasing theirs so cheap, the savings in fuel costs each month (they came from an old Pathfiner or 4Runner) completely covered the monthly leasing costs.  It also only increased their electric bill about $35 a month.

That's always good to know. Thanks.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Chevrolet is expanding the availability of the 6.2L V8 for the Tahoe and Suburban through a new special edition.
      The 2019 Tahoe and Suburban Premier Plus brings forth the 420 horsepower V8 engine, along with a 10-speed automatic and the Magnetic Ride Control suspension. To set it apart from other trims, the Premier Plus adds some special luxury touches such as two-tone black and mahogany interior, heated and ventilated seats, heads-up display, chrome power steps, and 22-inch wheels.
      “Our customers have shown strong demand for both Tahoe and Suburban with the 6.2L V-8 option. Thirty-six percent of all Chevy full-size SUV special edition models are now sold with this engine. Premier Plus gives both Suburban and Tahoe customers another option to choose from with several added premium touches,” said Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet’s head of truck marketing and advertising in a statement.
      The Premier Plus models are quite pricey. The Tahoe Premier Plus begins at $75,395, and the Suburban Premier Plus kicks off at $78,195 - prices include a $1,295 destination charge. Production begins later this summer.
      CHEVROLET INTRODUCES TAHOE AND SUBURBAN PREMIER PLUS SPECIAL EDITIONS
      DETROIT — Due to customer demand, Chevrolet is expanding the availability of the 6.2L V-8 engine within its full-size SUV lineup by introducing the Tahoe and Suburban Premier Plus special editions.   
      The 6.2L V-8 was first made available in the Chevy full-size SUV lineup on the 2018 Tahoe RST 6.2L Performance Package. The engine recently debuted on the 2019 Suburban RST 6.2L Performance Package, which is now on sale at Chevrolet dealerships nationwide.
      All Premier Plus edition Chevy full-size SUVs, as well as RST Premier models with the optional 6.2L Performance Package, also feature Magnetic Ride Control with performance calibration and a Hydra-Matic 10-speed automatic transmission.
      “Our customers have shown strong demand for both Tahoe and Suburban with the 6.2L V-8 option,” said Sandor Piszar, director of Chevrolet Trucks Marketing and Advertising. “Thirty-six percent of all Chevy full-size SUV special edition models are now sold with this engine. Premier Plus gives both Suburban and Tahoe customers another option to choose from with several added premium touches.”
      The 2019 Tahoe and Suburban Premier Plus editions feature a unique interior with heated and ventilated Black/Mahogany-colored leather-appointed front seats against a Jet Black trim surround. This premium two-tone interior and 22-inch polished wheels make their first appearance in Chevy’s full-size SUV lineup with the Premier Plus special editions.
      Other features include gold Chevrolet “bowtie” logos, chrome nameplate badging, a head-up display and 8-inch diagonal cluster, cross rails, chrome power steps and exhaust tip and a Chevrolet-branded cargo organizer.
      Connectivity is provided by a standard 4G LTE Wi-Fi1 hotspot, and the Premier Plus package includes a 12-month data plan.
      The available 6.2L V-8 is capable of 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. The engine delivers three state-of-the-art technologies — direct injection, Active Fuel Management and continuously variable valve timing — to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions.
      The 10-speed automatic transmission offers smaller steps between each ratio to maximize engine power under acceleration. With a wide 7.39 overall gear ratio spread and lower numerical top gear ratio, the transmission also reduces engine revolutions at highway speeds.
      Magnetic Ride Control is an active suspension that “reads” the road every millisecond, triggering damping changes in the electronically controlled shock absorbers in as few as 10-15 milliseconds. As a result, the suspension delivers improved body-motion control during cornering and a more comfortable ride while cruising.
      The 2019 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier Plus will start with an MSRP of $74,100 plus a $1,295 destination charge, while the 2019 Chevrolet Suburban Premier Plus will start at $76,900 with a $1,295 destination charge. (MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment.)
      Both Premier Plus full-size SUVs are also available to Costco members at GM supplier pricing with a $4,500 Costco member incentive2. Costco Gold Star and Business Members who purchase the vehicle through participating dealers and complete a Costco Auto Program survey are also eligible for a $300 Costco Cash Card, while Executive Members are eligible for a $700 Costco Cash Card.
      The exclusive Costco member value package is only available on 5,000 vehicles. Costco offer is not compatible with any other GM incentives. To qualify, customers must be a member by Oct. 1, 2018, and take delivery between, Oct. 2, 2018, and Jan. 2, 2019.

The 2019 Tahoe and Suburban Premier Plus can be ordered from Chevrolet dealers now, with production beginning in mid-August.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Chevrolet is expanding the availability of the 6.2L V8 for the Tahoe and Suburban through a new special edition.
      The 2019 Tahoe and Suburban Premier Plus brings forth the 420 horsepower V8 engine, along with a 10-speed automatic and the Magnetic Ride Control suspension. To set it apart from other trims, the Premier Plus adds some special luxury touches such as two-tone black and mahogany interior, heated and ventilated seats, heads-up display, chrome power steps, and 22-inch wheels.
      “Our customers have shown strong demand for both Tahoe and Suburban with the 6.2L V-8 option. Thirty-six percent of all Chevy full-size SUV special edition models are now sold with this engine. Premier Plus gives both Suburban and Tahoe customers another option to choose from with several added premium touches,” said Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet’s head of truck marketing and advertising in a statement.
      The Premier Plus models are quite pricey. The Tahoe Premier Plus begins at $75,395, and the Suburban Premier Plus kicks off at $78,195 - prices include a $1,295 destination charge. Production begins later this summer.
      CHEVROLET INTRODUCES TAHOE AND SUBURBAN PREMIER PLUS SPECIAL EDITIONS
      DETROIT — Due to customer demand, Chevrolet is expanding the availability of the 6.2L V-8 engine within its full-size SUV lineup by introducing the Tahoe and Suburban Premier Plus special editions.   
      The 6.2L V-8 was first made available in the Chevy full-size SUV lineup on the 2018 Tahoe RST 6.2L Performance Package. The engine recently debuted on the 2019 Suburban RST 6.2L Performance Package, which is now on sale at Chevrolet dealerships nationwide.
      All Premier Plus edition Chevy full-size SUVs, as well as RST Premier models with the optional 6.2L Performance Package, also feature Magnetic Ride Control with performance calibration and a Hydra-Matic 10-speed automatic transmission.
      “Our customers have shown strong demand for both Tahoe and Suburban with the 6.2L V-8 option,” said Sandor Piszar, director of Chevrolet Trucks Marketing and Advertising. “Thirty-six percent of all Chevy full-size SUV special edition models are now sold with this engine. Premier Plus gives both Suburban and Tahoe customers another option to choose from with several added premium touches.”
      The 2019 Tahoe and Suburban Premier Plus editions feature a unique interior with heated and ventilated Black/Mahogany-colored leather-appointed front seats against a Jet Black trim surround. This premium two-tone interior and 22-inch polished wheels make their first appearance in Chevy’s full-size SUV lineup with the Premier Plus special editions.
      Other features include gold Chevrolet “bowtie” logos, chrome nameplate badging, a head-up display and 8-inch diagonal cluster, cross rails, chrome power steps and exhaust tip and a Chevrolet-branded cargo organizer.
      Connectivity is provided by a standard 4G LTE Wi-Fi1 hotspot, and the Premier Plus package includes a 12-month data plan.
      The available 6.2L V-8 is capable of 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. The engine delivers three state-of-the-art technologies — direct injection, Active Fuel Management and continuously variable valve timing — to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions.
      The 10-speed automatic transmission offers smaller steps between each ratio to maximize engine power under acceleration. With a wide 7.39 overall gear ratio spread and lower numerical top gear ratio, the transmission also reduces engine revolutions at highway speeds.
      Magnetic Ride Control is an active suspension that “reads” the road every millisecond, triggering damping changes in the electronically controlled shock absorbers in as few as 10-15 milliseconds. As a result, the suspension delivers improved body-motion control during cornering and a more comfortable ride while cruising.
      The 2019 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier Plus will start with an MSRP of $74,100 plus a $1,295 destination charge, while the 2019 Chevrolet Suburban Premier Plus will start at $76,900 with a $1,295 destination charge. (MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment.)
      Both Premier Plus full-size SUVs are also available to Costco members at GM supplier pricing with a $4,500 Costco member incentive2. Costco Gold Star and Business Members who purchase the vehicle through participating dealers and complete a Costco Auto Program survey are also eligible for a $300 Costco Cash Card, while Executive Members are eligible for a $700 Costco Cash Card.
      The exclusive Costco member value package is only available on 5,000 vehicles. Costco offer is not compatible with any other GM incentives. To qualify, customers must be a member by Oct. 1, 2018, and take delivery between, Oct. 2, 2018, and Jan. 2, 2019.

The 2019 Tahoe and Suburban Premier Plus can be ordered from Chevrolet dealers now, with production beginning in mid-August.
    • By William Maley
      Yesterday, we brought forth some spy photos of a new GMC subcompact crossover. At the time, we couldn't be certain to this as the two mules caught were under a lot of camouflage. But today we are confident in this as a fresh set of spy photos have come in revealing next Buick Encore and Chevrolet Trax.
      Both of the mules seen in the photos were caught testing on General Motors' proving grounds outside of Detroit. The Encore appears to be taking the evolutionary approach with its redesign. There is still the rounded shape and rising glass on the rear doors. A similar grille design to the Regal is up front. Chevrolet is taking a more drastic approach with the next Trax. The frumpy styling of the current model is out and a design inspired by the new Blazer is in. We can make out the split headlight arrangement and a large grille for the front. Other details that jump out include a wide hood and sharp corners.
      Its unclear whether or not both models will still use Gamma-2 or transition to the VSS-S architecture.
      Source: Autoblog, Motor1

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Yesterday, we brought forth some spy photos of a new GMC subcompact crossover. At the time, we couldn't be certain to this as the two mules caught were under a lot of camouflage. But today we are confident in this as a fresh set of spy photos have come in revealing next Buick Encore and Chevrolet Trax.
      Both of the mules seen in the photos were caught testing on General Motors' proving grounds outside of Detroit. The Encore appears to be taking the evolutionary approach with its redesign. There is still the rounded shape and rising glass on the rear doors. A similar grille design to the Regal is up front. Chevrolet is taking a more drastic approach with the next Trax. The frumpy styling of the current model is out and a design inspired by the new Blazer is in. We can make out the split headlight arrangement and a large grille for the front. Other details that jump out include a wide hood and sharp corners.
      Its unclear whether or not both models will still use Gamma-2 or transition to the VSS-S architecture.
      Source: Autoblog, Motor1
    • By William Maley
      Whenever an automaker introduces a redesigned model or makes some significant mechanical changes, usually the fuel economy go slightly up. But there are cases where those numbers remain the same or worse, go down.
      The New York Daily News reports that certain versions of the 2019 Chevrolet Camaro see a slight drop in fuel economy.
      2019 Camaro V6: 1 mpg drop on highway with the manual (27 vs. 28 on the 2018 model), 1 mpg drop in combined with the 8-speed automatic (22 vs. 23) 2019 Camaro V8: 1 mpg drop on highway with the manual (24 vs. 25), 1 mpg drop in city with the 10-speed automatic (16 vs. 17) 2019 Camaro ZL1: 1 mpg drop in combined with the 10-speed automatic (15 vs. 16) Other Camaros, such as those equipped with the 2.0L turbo-four remain unchanged in their fuel economy figures.
      This is bit bizarre, especially on models equipped with the new 10-speed transmission. Some think it could be the Camaro's new face, which has received mixed reactions could be less aerodynamic than before. But if this was case, wouldn't all of the Camaro variants see some sort of drop?
      Source: New York Daily News

View full article
  • My Clubs