another used car shopping endeavor

I did say I "believed" it was a mid-size but I see overall length is only 176"- that is pretty small. Doesn't seem it in person, must be the height. So; my (unintentional) mis-lead… but we've already established I'm nuts.

Now, what sort of maladies should I keep in mind with this? It's a 1 owner, clean car fax, regular service, extremely clean condition 53K miles. 3.7 V6, 4-spd auto.

Yeah, the 2nd gen Liberty was about the size of the 1st gen Grand Cherokee...each generation gets larger; today's wild looking Cherokee is actually longer than the 2nd gen GC...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Nobody got it, so no one wins the free tank of fuel. ;)

Here 'tis, 2011 Liberty :

11JL2_zpsc1ulu1kf.jpg

Awesome, Nice clean ride! :metal: Compared to my sons Patriot, this is a mid size and roomy. 

So the only things I noticed that seem to have gone wrong on my son's auto and I hear also tend to go on the Liberty is if you have a CD player, they are short lived. multiple replaced under warranty and now dead again but my son streams Pandora off his phone via the bluetooth on the radio. Also for some weird reason they seem to use a bit of Antifreeze. Not sure where it goes in my son patriot but it does have to be topped off in hot weather. Other than that the auto seems to be pretty solid from what I have heard of other Liberty owners.

• Agree 1

11JL2_zpsc1ulu1kf.jpg

Congrats on the purchase!

I've actually always liked that gen Liberty. A good friend of mine bought one 5 or so years ago. He only had it for maybe 6 months though. I don't think anything was wrong with it as much as he wanted a truck and ended up buying a newer Ram 1500. Either way the second gen Liberty looks WAAAAAAY better than the first gen. I dig the boxy look.

Mind if I ask what you ended up paying for the ole girl with 53k miles and 3.7L engine?

Also, not trying to bash your purchase in any way but how is that 3.7? I just looked up the numbers on it and 210hp out of a 3.7 sounds a little weak? Does it feel better than the numbers? I mean it isn't like 200hp is weak for a smaller SUV it just seems weak for the engine displacement.  

Liberty was $15K. 3.7L feels pretty decent; these have 3.70 gears… the flip side is that the MPG isn't stupendous (rated : 16/22).

I do really like the overall proportions & driving it (the test drive loop plus the 10 miles home is all I've done with it yet).

Edmunds ::

Pros : Considerable off-road capabilities; useful towing capacity.

Cons : Sluggish V6 with poor fuel economy, outdated 4-spd auto, sloppy handling, subpar interior materials, poor headlight illumination.

It's definitely not sluggish, MPG is only going to be 19-20 in central Jersey, 4-spd is what it is, interior materials are fine. Haven't checked the headlights yet.

•  

Also, not trying to bash your purchase in any way but how is that 3.7? I just looked up the numbers on it and 210hp out of a 3.7 sounds a little weak? Does it feel better than the numbers? I mean it isn't like 200hp is weak for a smaller SUV it just seems weak for the engine displacement.  

Actually, back then 210 hp out of a 3.7 was an improvement over 190 out of the 4.0 it replaced...V6 hp numbers are higher now than they were a decade ago..

Actually, back then 210 hp out of a 3.7 was an improvement over 190 out of the 4.0 it replaced...V6 hp numbers are higher now than they were a decade ago..

Yeah, I also saw it was like 230tq so those are the kind of numbers you want out of an suv, if you ask me. I'd always take the usable tq over a peaky power band.