Anyone else mountain bike?

David

I am a regular life long season pass holder for Stevens pass washington for skiing, but years ago I started to dabble in Mountain biking and have to say it is crazy fun and can be just as challenging as skiing. A monster adrenaline rush. :metal: 

Stevens Pass

https://www.stevenspass.com/site 

They opened up a few weeks back a new Double Black Diamond Trail call Berserker and I have to say I will wait after having actually gone on it slowly. Way crazy as this video does not do it justice for how steep it really is. I am excited about all the new ski trails and ramps making new jumps we will have this winter.

So does anyone else Mountain Bike?

I have. I used to a good amount but it's been years since consistently riding. I just live in a crap area to want to mountain bike.. mid west.. If I lived in Missouri and not Illinois it would be much easier. There are some good places in Missouri but IL is just plain flat.

This is my bike. 2011 Giant Talon 2 29er. I never really got enough seat time on the 29er to be 100% confident in myself compared to my Schwinn Mesa GS(back when Schwinn sold real bikes).

Giant

74BECC4D-C11D-4FAB-963F-7476DA86974C_zps

Schwinn

3B62BB51-76A3-49D1-8E23-39750A855A03_zps

How do you feel about the increase wheel/tire size? I guess if you're more of a trail rider you'd want the bigger wheels anyway.

Looking at giant's site I think I had a Talon 1 not 2. I forgot that the 2's were a small step down in components.

Shooooot I need to get the bike out and ride this weekend.

Why yes sir, I dabbled in XC racing 5 years ago, but the best fun I've ever had is either Enduro or Downhill.

Do yourselves all a favour and get the Giant Glory for downhill, if you go that route. Tried, and tested and true.

And get the good stuff. Get SRAM X0 or Shimano XTR drivetrain. Don't get AVID Elixir's (DOT fluid is not good for pads or rotors if it leaks, hell it just shouldn't be sued at all IMO, even if it gives better sealing from air bubble accumulation). Get Shimano XTR with new ICETECH FREEZA Rotors.

If you want high-tech even more, try XTR Di2. The best sequential shift setup there is. I think the shift points are top notch, really.

One-by is nice too, but for people wanting a more versatile bike, a 2-by chainring setup will be very much appreciated if you also ride on the road or paved trails. Tubeless is all the rage now, it's lighter in most cases and proper installation will give you better flat resistance as smaller punctures will be sealed by the compound sealant. Just make sure the rims you have are corrosion resistant, as some sealant compounds are not to be used with certain wheels, or wheel manufacturers (like Shimano) will not guarantee their wheels for use with sealant in some cases.

And when it comes to suspension, I'm partial to hardtails still, because that's where I started, but suspension will give you better isolation from technical terrain.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ykX said:

I do more of a trail biking.  Few places on the trail I go to that get the blood flowing but mostly enjoy the ride in the woods in a State park not too far from me.

What bike do you have?

I own a Cannondale with HD Rock Shox forks. Frame is special order since I am rather big, 

Have it hung in the garage and was going to grab a photo of if off their web site, but wow, have not looked at bikes in the last few years and they do not make mine anylonger. In fact I see all the mountain bikes have gone to a universal womans type design. The rest, forks, big fat tires, proper brakes, etc. are still the same, but the frames have really changed.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

How do you feel about the increase wheel/tire size? I guess if you're more of a trail rider you'd want the bigger wheels anyway.

Looking at giant's site I think I had a Talon 1 not 2. I forgot that the 2's were a small step down in components.

Shooooot I need to get the bike out and ride this weekend.

Yes, I think the bigger wheels help on the trails, plus I am pretty tall with long legs so the bigger wheels kind of work out for me better.  I "test drove" both 26 and 29 and  while 26 felt more agile, the 29 felt easier rolling and better size for me.

Yea, that the entry level Marlin, good enough for my needs for now.  Maybe, down the road when my son gets older I will give it to him and buy something higher end.

55 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I've been wanting to get into it for some time now.

I am proud to say that I put my whole family on bikes.  Even wife started riding.  Not on the off road trails or anything extreme but a family ride in a nice park is great.

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 1

29ers are more forgiving on technical terrain, and yes, they can get to much higher speeds...

But I learned on 26ers. and they actually having less rotational inertia, and for someone who could handle the technical terrain in spite of the lower compliance of smaller wheels, I'd say there is a place for them. 

cadence is a big factor to. I feel for me, if I was going to have higher variability on cadence, and more up and down or switch backs, I'm more agile on a 26er. If I'm bloodlust mode for the fastest speed possible, then 29er for sure, but I might not have as much fun though. 

Though few manufacturers still make 26er wheels.

However, one thing for sure, 26er wheels are stronger than 29ers, because there is less flex in spokes. It's the flip side of less compliance....

Also, very nice quick tip quickie. If you can't get past the full upgrade to Shimano brakes...I know it...

As soon as your rotors wear out from any other manufacturer, you can switch to Shimano rotors no problem, with the brake calipers that came with the bike. Anyone telling you otherwise is a hack. 

Shimano rotors, the XT and above use an aluminum core with a steel braking surface. That's the best IMO, because a rotor that conducts heat well, will dissipate it better too. But a steel braking surface will have more friction against pads. resin pads - better for quietness, and in some cases rotor longevity, but metal pads have more friction, and better all weather performance. And resin can get easily corrupted with foreign matter, like mud and oily substances. 

If you spill oil or brake fluid on metal pads....just spray with (it's been a while, but... I think finish-line yellow degreaser) and light'em on fire!! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did a lot of trail biking around the Colorado Springs area from '97-02 on my late 90s Specialized.  Still have the bike, but haven't ridden in years...but with the extensive trails in and around the Cleveland Metroparks, I plan to get back into it..need the exercise. 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I don't trail ride much any more, and added street friendly DTH tires.

tyre-image-DTH_l.png

I love my GT Avalanche 2.0 bike.  Upgraded components, I probably got about $1200 total into it.  I have ridden bikes costing 3x as much, and I swear I love mine better.

Looks a lot like this.

gt_ava2_blk_13_z1.jpg

Had a bad trail accident a while back, flying through wooded trails with leaves on the ground and could not see the rut that threw me in one direction and my bike in another.  Had to limp home with broken clavicle, and lots of bruises.  Front wheel was toast.

• 3 years later...

@Joan KisslerWrangler has rear spare tire and I saw some of them have bike racks on that spare tire, not sure how well they work.  Roof rack will be hard to put bikes on.

The best IMO is to use hitch platform bike rack.  I have Yakima hitch rack but it is regular hanging bike rack.  It is for 4 bikes and when i put 1 or 2 on it it is fine but when I put four bikes for the whole family it is a nightmare, they don't fit that well and they scratch each other.  I plan to sell it and to get hitch platform bike rack.  They are heavier but it is much easier to put bikes on them and bikes are not touching each other.

Here is ine inexpensive for 2 bikes

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64650.html

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, ykX said:

@Joan KisslerWrangler has rear spare tire and I saw some of them have bike racks on that spare tire, not sure how well they work.  Roof rack will be hard to put bikes on.

The best IMO is to use hitch platform bike rack.  I have Yakima hitch rack but it is regular hanging bike rack.  It is for 4 bikes and when i put 1 or 2 on it it is fine but when I put four bikes for the whole family it is a nightmare, they don't fit that well and they scratch each other.  I plan to sell it and to get hitch platform bike rack.  They are heavier but it is much easier to put bikes on them and bikes are not touching each other.

Here is ine inexpensive for 2 bikes

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64650.html

Thanks, I might use this link, actually. 

On 12/20/2016 at 10:07 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

I used to... now it just hangs in my basement.

Same here have a very nice Mountain bike that now just hangs in my garage. Was used all the time with the kids and wife, but the last 10 years or so has not been touched.

18 hours ago, Joan Kissler said:

Hi all. Been into mountain biking since this pandemic. Found this hobby with my son as boredom killed us. We are not into aggressive style. We just do it to go places we never been and for our daily exercise.  I also want to get this opportunity to ask you guys what bike racks are you using? I'm still prospecting to what bike rack is best for my Jeep Wrangler JL 2018. So far what I got is this one from an online store, https://www.mopargenuineparts.com/sku/tcfkm526ab.html. Roof type. 

Any disadvantages of it? And how about the hitch-type bike rack? Thanks you all in advance. 

I have a Thul swing away. Love it as it makes it so easy to still get in the auto even with bikes loaded.

We (my wife and 2 kids) bike ride often in the summer.  But we dont lug our bikes around in our cars to go to trails far from home.  There are plenty of mountain trails in and around the island of Montreal, its just that we dont feel like lugging around bicycles to get to the trails.  We bike around our home. There are plenty of bike paths and parks with gorgeous scenery of the Saint-Laurence river and Lac Saint Louis (the little body of water that the river flows through and around the south-western tip of Montreal that kinda forms a lake...but not).  I mostly bike ride with my kids going to the baseball diamond when I practice their skills doing  baseballl/softball drills with them.   They with their mom bike  when Im at work.    Great cardio and great exercise for their legs.  I use that as a tool to strengthen their leg, thigh and calf muscles.   Both of my kids are not power hitters naturally, but hitting for power DOES start with the legs...   

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Reminds me that I need a new mountain bike....

I think my oldest son will be big enough for my bike in the spring and I would like to get myself an upgrade.  Problem is good ones are not cheap.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I got out a bunch this past summer. Not much else to do. 

I spent a ton of time hiking and in my wood shop. Bike made it out of the garage once.