William Maley

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Looks To Give Toyota's Tacoma TRD Pro A Run For the Money: Comments

Metal strips that go under the rockers to protect them.  They provide the protection without the bulky steps that can decrease ground clearance and scrape all over the place.  Also known as rock sliders. 

PICT0239.jpg

2015-colorado-1.JPG

Edited by Stew
Trying to get a photo of rock rails to post

Ohhhh Okay, that makes sense! It's like a bed liner for the rocker panels. I could see those saving some big bucks if you go over something that you misjudged the clearance on.

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ohhhh Okay, that makes sense! It's like a bed liner for the rocker panels. I could see those saving some big bucks if you go over something that you misjudged the clearance on.

I have scraped the sidesteps and the tow hitch on the Dakota more than a few times haha.   If i ever get to do what I REALLY want to with the 4x4 Dakota.........

24 minutes ago, Stew said:

I have scraped the sidesteps and the tow hitch on the Dakota more than a few times haha.   If i ever get to do what I REALLY want to with the 4x4 Dakota.........

Lift it baby Lift it! :P

Regarding price, my biggest question would be how much the shocks alone add to the sticker. They are of the same variety of those found on the Z/28 and that car commanded a pretty penny. Granted, there was a lot more to go into it than just shocks, but I have to wonder.

Just reading more because this truck will be a monster.

"Before we discuss these magic shocks let’s run down the roster of supporting hardware mods on this package, which is available in extended cab and crew-cab configurations with the 3.6-liter V-6 or the 2.8-liter turbodiesel four. The four-mode AutoTrac 4WD system (RWD, 4 auto, 4Hi, 4Lo) is upgraded to include Eaton electronically locking differentials on both axles. The rear can be locked in all four of the above modes, the front can only be locked in 4Lo after the rear axle is locked, bringing to nine the number of driveline modes available. Hill descent control is offered, and an off-road mode button invokes one of 30 different maps for tailoring the throttle response, shift strategy, and the ABS, traction and stability control systems to suit whatever conditions confront a ZR2."

"Other functional improvements on the 2017 Colorado ZR2 include a suspension lift of 2.0 inches, a widening of the track by 3.5 inches, a swap to sturdier cast-iron lower front control arms, and fitment of 8.0 x 17-inch wheels wrapped in 31-inch Goodyear Duratrac off-road tires that afford exceptional traction. And to improve suspension articulation, the 1.5-inch diameter hollow front anti-roll bar is replaced by a softer 1.0-inch solid one. "

"Now for those magic shocks. Shock absorbers work by plunging a piston through a tube filled with oil, and forcing the oil to flow through some sort of holes or channels that regulate how fast it can move. Usually these holes are in the piston, with flow through them being controlled by a series of metal discs that deflect as oil passes through them. Tuning these discs to provide precisely the right flow rate is a hugely time consuming pain in the posterior, and normal production tolerances can result in variation from the ideal flow rates of up to 15 percent.

Racing teams could never tolerate such inconsistency so in 2001 Multimatic Inc. of Markham, Ontario developed the Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve and soon after Newman/Haas Racing teams using Multimatic DSSV dampers began winning Champ Car titles. Instead of deflecting discs, oil presses against another precision-machined spring-loaded piston or “spool” that moves inside a thin sleeve into which little ports are laser cut to extremely precise tolerances in a temperature-controlled environment. The shape of these ports is computer designed to regulate oil flow rates as the piston moves exposing more of the ports."

"The Colorado ZR2’s duty cycle could not be more different, but the beauty of DSSV shocks is you can shape those orifices to deliver any force/displacement curve you like for any duty cycle. In this application, two DSSV valves like the ones in the Z/28 are relocated to a chamber next to the main shock tube. As the piston moves through the typical stroke experienced in on-road driving, it forces oil to flow out of that tube through a ring of orifices and into this chamber with the spool valves. More extreme suspension inputs of the type that typically only happen off road cause the piston to move past these orifices, at which point the oil is forced through a third jounce-control spool valve that’s located in the piston. This one is tuned more like a Baja racer’s shock. A third chamber contains the volume of nitrogen gas that accounts for the volume of the piston rod that plunges in and out of the space where the oil otherwise lives. Moving both the spool valves and this nitrogen charge out of the main tube allows for more suspension travel within the same shock absorber packaging space."

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-first-ride-review/

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Alright.. I'm stupid.. What are rock rails?

Yeah I usually add in at least a bed liner of some sort. They're pretty necessary if you want to take care of your baby and still use it as a truck.

They're just small rails that primarily protect the the rocker  panel  from damage. They may have steps incorporated into them.

The Shocks for the Z/28 are around $2,000. I have seen take offs going for $1500 on E bay. 

The Tires are big money for the type and size 31". The locking diffs and other added traction hardware is a pretty penny. Then add a Diesel then it adds even more. 

Now keep in mind when I say it will start at $49K that means it pretty much comes loaded up with most options from the start. There will be a few add on parts but this is going to be a pretty complete package. 

My point is there will be no standard low dollar LS package offered with this model or standard cab etc. 

Now I would love to see a ZR2 2WD like package like some of the other companies have done. Do a lifted 2wd with larger tires and wheels with a lower price.  This would give you the ZR2 looks and a cheaper package.  Along add a Lowered ZQ8 package with the wider body panels.  These two models would leverage out the tooling even more.

The bottom line is I know how much it would cost to convert a truck like this with cheaper parts and it ain't cheap either. GM is not going to lose money  here and low ball the price to where the Z71 is so start adding to the price for the privilege to own one. 

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Gonna have to disagree with you Daves. I see trucks like this towing plenty in Washington state. People use these types of trucks to launch their boats, pull their trailers with snowmobiles and especially pulling RV trailers to the pass when they go for the weekend to ski.

Yes they then unhook and drive them off-road too, but these trucks still need to keep a proper payload for the bed and and trailering amount to be valid. 

If all the person wants is a Baha racer / off-road toy, then fine, but hauling and trailering should not be lost for a truck like this.

I agree with you I still do :wub: too! :P

:lol:

I guess I could agree with that...as I can see people puling their weekend toys with them. I'm guessing my thinking is that I would use it for off roading and camping..makes for a fun weekend!8)

3 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

The Shocks for the Z/28 are around $2,000. I have seen take offs going for $1500 on E bay. 

The Tires are big money for the type and size 31". The locking diffs and other added traction hardware is a pretty penny. Then add a Diesel then it adds even more. 

Now keep in mind when I say it will start at $49K that means it pretty much comes loaded up with most options from the start. There will be a few add on parts but this is going to be a pretty complete package. 

My point is there will be no standard low dollar LS package offered with this model or standard cab etc. 

Now I would love to see a ZR2 2WD like package like some of the other companies have done. Do a lifted 2wd with larger tires and wheels with a lower price.  This would give you the ZR2 looks and a cheaper package.  Along add a Lowered ZQ8 package with the wider body panels.  These two models would leverage out the tooling even more.

The bottom line is I know how much it would cost to convert a truck like this with cheaper parts and it ain't cheap either. GM is not going to lose money  here and low ball the price to where the Z71 is so start adding to the price for the privilege to own one. 

Yeah when I was thinking 48k I was thinking only if the diesel and crew cab. Eliminate those two options and it would be more like 43k. So those are my two numbers. 

Single cab, 3.6 = 43k

crew cab. 2.8 = 48k

13 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah when I was thinking 48k I was thinking only if the diesel and crew cab. Eliminate those two options and it would be more like 43k. So those are my two numbers. 

Single cab, 3.6 = 43k

crew cab. 2.8 = 48k

So, we have technically been around the same page the whole time haha.  the extended cab/V6 is my preference anyway lol. 

Yeah, Not sure why I even forgot extended cab 3.6 was an option the whole time. I think the car mag's sites of advertising an off road diesel stuck in my head.

Edited by ccap41

11 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

These tires aren't THAT expensive. I had 33"s on my 4Runner and they were just over $1,100 mounted and balanced. 

Agreed, I have BF Goodrich on my suburban and all 4 came in around the same price as you mention.

On 11/17/2016 at 11:51 PM, ccap41 said:

Single cab, 3.6 = 43k

crew cab. 2.8 = 48k

A gas Z71 crew long bed Crew can go loaded up at $48K sticker as that is what the dealer gave me to drive. No Diesel so it could go even higher. It did have I think the Midnight package with the cheesy roll car on it. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Taco and Lorado are going to be much closer in real world driving in off-road ability, but the diesel will be a nice package for a comparison, but one that pushes the price to places never seen before in the midsize pickup realm.

I wonder if Mercedes brought the X-Class here, how much would it cost all loaded up? $70K? If this reaches $55k, then that would actually be something fun to see.