Jeep News: Rumorpile: Jeep Grand Wagoneer Canceled?

William Maley

Plans for a flagship Jeep may have been trashed. Autoline Daily reported yesterday that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles have cancelled plans for the Grand Wagoneer that was due for the 2019 model. Citing information from industry planning company Auto Forecast Solutions, Autoline Daily says the company cannot stretch out the platform that underpins the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango for a model that would be in a higher segment. 

Autoline Daily goes on to say that work may continue on a flagship model for Jeep, but use the platform that underpins the Ram 1500 pickup.

Rumors of the Grand Wagoneer have been floating around for a couple of years and it only recently confirmed by Jeep CEO Mike Manley. Last month, we got a possible preview as to what Grand Wagoneer's front end could look like.

Source: Autoline Daily (Video Below)

View full article

32 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Lol, so how TF were they planning on building this in the first place?? This makes less than 0 zero sense.

I thought the same thing. How was this not THE first thing to look into before working around the platform the rest resides on?

Another well executed plan by FCA..lol

If this had been posted a year or 2 ago i could see it, but now, i am just not.  Mind you, I would rather see jeep put their development money into smaller off-road vehicles like the Comanche and maybe a 2 door Renegade with the half soft top would be neat.  iI don't see the GW as really extending the brand. 

7 minutes ago, Stew said:

If this had been posted a year or 2 ago i could see it, but now, i am just not.  Mind you, I would rather see jeep put their development money into smaller off-road vehicles like the Comanche and maybe a 2 door Renegade with the half soft top would be neat.  iI don't see the GW as really extending the brand. 

I am with you @Stew, something about this feels off to me. Figuring out that the platform cannot accommodate a vehicle the size of Grand Wagoneer so later in its development doesn't fully add up.

The Durango is pretty big as it is, it is larger than a Grand Cherokee and 3 row.  So it has the size.  I don't think FCA can come up with an interior worth $70k or whatever they want to charge, or come up with an engine.  You know the Grand Wagoneer would just have a Pentastar V6 and optional Hemi V8 and the grand Cherokee already has that.

• Agree 1

This stinks of FCA being so short on money that they are killing off projects to keep their stupid Fiat and Alfa alive while continuing to hurt the USA Brands.

This makes me think FCA could be bankrupt by 2020 based on all the recent news the last few months if not sooner.

• Agree 2

I don't know, the dealer meeting had revealed partially the front and rear facias, and it appears to be if all the vehicles in that image are to scale, the Grand Wagoneer is ginormous.

It appears to even be slightly bigger than an Escalade, I reckon.

I think the Grand Wagoneer with be built on the same underpinnings as the next RAM full-size p/u. 

But it's not the first time we've heard of FCA delaying plans, and also, I think FCA has canceled or delayed more models now than what they actually have in the product pipeline that is supposedly on track to arrive in time.

6 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

I don't know, the dealer meeting had revealed partially the front and rear facias, and it appears to be if all the vehicles in that image are to scale, the Grand Wagoneer is ginormous.

It appears to even be slightly bigger than an Escalade, I reckon.

I think the Grand Wagoneer with be built on the same underpinnings as the next RAM full-size p/u. 

But it's not the first time we've heard of FCA delaying plans, and also, I think FCA has canceled or delayed more models now than what they actually have in the product pipeline that is supposedly on track to arrive in time.

Agreed as to why I think this is more of a blame game for them to delay this auto as they do not have the cash.

Blame it on the frame with their weak ass excuse and delay doing this till they are bought out or bankrupt.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Stew said:

With them apparently having the design, etc nailed down, I still don't see it being cancelled or them just now figuring out a platform wouldn't work. 

jeepgrwagoneerface-b05-kgp-ed-1.jpg

That is the wonder of Photoshop, they could have done very little actual engineering work and only done design work on Photoshop dragging out the project and having something to excite the dealers when they really had nothing and then use the frame as a weak ass excuse to delay this.

The images show they have ideas, but nothing actually real yet. I still think this is due to them not having any cash.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

This stinks of FCA being so short on money that they are killing off projects to keep their stupid Fiat and Alfa alive while continuing to hurt the USA Brands.

This makes me think FCA could be bankrupt by 2020 based on all the recent news the last few months if not sooner.

FCA is so inept, one could very well write a high rated sitcom on the company and their " 5yrs Plan ".

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

FCA is so inept, one could very well write a high rated sitcom on the company and their " 5yrs Plan ".

They make the old Soviet five year plans look well executed.

• Agree 1

I thought the Wagoneer was supposed to be a long wheelbase Grand Cherokee in terms of the idea, and the price point was supposed to be like the same as a Merecedes GLS or Cadillac Escalade.

Autoline daily - I mean I can see where the trouble would come from using the current platform from the Grand Cherokee, going by the teaser pic shown to the dealer. This platform stretched for use for the Durango, but one thing the Durango lacks is width, relative to other large RWD SUVs such as Tahoe, Land Cruiser, etc. But the Durango also bridges the gap between a FWD based 3 row crossover and the RWD body on frame SUV's.

This dealer meeting pic, I mean the Grand Wagoneer, and I'm thinking it's maybe like the lighther, more luxo Hummer that GM never made, but that people really wanted. And I also think "3-row Bronco." 

And given that the upcoming Ford Bronco will probably be a refreshed Ford Everest, I wonder where the place is for such a behemoth. I mean, the most fuel efficient FCA vehicle is a minivan plug-in. Can it do all the CAFE magic for them? I guess with Trump presidency, maybe they won't have to worry after all.

I don't understand what is going on at FCA. There's just not a lot to show in these years. Flops like the Dart and 200 were I think rather unavoidable.  I hope the Pacifica does well, but even it can't carry the ENTIRE Chrysler brand on it's own.

Kinda been hearing rumors through the wall on this one....and not totally surprised that it is not going to happen. Plus, it would have been a big waste of money which chances are good it would have sold poorly anyways. Jeep getting to lux might start sending their customers elsewhere...

At this point-maybe a trim level? Worse case maybe still use the platform for the C/D and make and an off road beast, something the "true" Jeep guys could use besides their own jeeps...

FCA is strugging.....they really need to work on their core stuff....

On 12/3/2016 at 3:08 PM, ehaase said:

The allpar insiders think the Autoline article is wrong.  I think the Jeep brand may have plateaued in recent months, based upon the sales figures. 

I think Ford and GM will continue to bring their A game, and will continue to make conquest sales. This can only hurt FCA, with its lack of investment.