DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT AWD 3.6

2019-Chevrolet-Blazer-030.jpg

DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT AWD 3.6 (MSRP around 40k)

HIGHS:

-Blazer name is back!

-Unique, sporty CUV style, drawing inspiration from the Camaro.  Be seen.  Looks good in person, even in a bad color.

-Nice new interior design, including ball blower vents down low.  That will be a godsend in summer.  I liked the gauges, displays, controls, and touchscreen.

-Cargo area seemed more useful in size than I imagined.  If I recall, the rear seats can slide forward and back to help out with that.

-If you are averse to 4 cylinder engines, Chevy has you covered here.  Most of the Blazers will be had with 3.6 v6.  And with enough throttle foot, and after you let it wind up, and if the tranny actually kicks down, it scoots pretty well.

-Fans of CUV's that are heavy and sit high will be like pigs in slop in the Blazer.

LOWS:

-There are probably a lot of people that won't be into the styling.

-Drivetrain doesn't seem refined.  Sorry, another one of these GM drivetrains with the common 3.6 that underwhelms.  Slow transmission kickdown.  Feels like driveline has a lot of slop.  Lack of useful torque.  Grainy sounding, revs slow, throttle response is a dud.  

-Interior space is not exactly a middle spot between the Equinox and Traverse.  To some it will feel not much larger than an Equinox inside, which is either a compliment for the Equinox (wasn't intended to be) or a rip on the Blazer (maybe that's where I was going).   Perhaps how high you sit on the queen perch exacerbates the truckiness of this thing, but it feels narrow in relation to it's size, and it's easier to knock elbows with your neighbor than it should be in this thing.

-There is nothing about the ride and handling that stuck in my mind as impressive.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  Now, maybe the RS is better, I don't know.

-Irregardless of whether a vehicle being heavy is a good or bad thing, it's that the Blazer actually feels porky or even porkier than it is / isn't.

-The elephant in the room on this thing is price.  This lightly equipped LT was near 40 grand.  In the same showroom is an almost equally equipped Traverse for an almost equal price.  The versions that are in the high 40's and 50's, it's a real SMH to me.

-An all around feel about the vehicle that it was just a cobbled together parts bin ride (which historically has been GM's PENCHANT).  The Blazer is a vehicle that feels old by several years on the market, right when it's introduced.

SUMMARY

No compelling reason to pick this vehicle on the market other than if you are a GM fanboi/girl or you've gone sick on the styling of it.  If it's the former, its another case of GM missing an opportunity to provide class competitive or better vehicle refinement and dynamics and missing the mark.  If it's the latter, then the styling ends up being the sole purpose for the vehicle to exist in the market.  If it doesn't have more than that, than it's hopes for being a long term success are pretty thin.  I don't need to dive much more into this one.  Reviving the Blazer name and throwing it on something that evokes the Camaro in styling is about all there is behind this effort.  Nissan came out with the Murano in 2003? 2004? And Chevrolet finally has something to compete with it in 2019.  The list of vehicles that are better options to this for your money, whether 2 or 3 row, are in the dozens.  As far as Chevy, if you really want size, immediately bypass the Blazer and just go straight for the Traverse.  For performance and refinement, it's entirely possibly that a well loaded Equinox with the 2.0 engine is a much more enjoyable vehicle for a majority of people.  And don't forget the GMC options too.  Other makes and models, Santa Fe, Atlas, Edge, Passport, all better.  I might be here all day if I list all the better options.

It doesn't make it bad to like the Blazer and I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying one.  I just think GM mailed it in here, which they seem to be doing with increasing frequency here.  All you get here is a name and some style.  Bless ya if that's what you want.  I may try the 2.5 FWD for contrast, but i think I can 99% safely say one of these will never be in my driveway.  Continuing to lose more and more faith in GM and Chevy all the time.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

I am quite a bit looking forward to seeing how badly the 2020 Explorer tramples all over this thing.

Not even the same class. It's the Edge that will trample all over it.  On interior, I give the edge to the Blazer, but everything else goes to the Edge.  The Blazer is too small. It feels like the old Equinox size inside. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not even the same class. It's the Edge that will trample all over it.  On interior, I give the edge to the Blazer, but everything else goes to the Edge.  The Blazer is too small. It feels like the old Equinox size inside. 

Compare MSRP’s. The explorer in base and xlt trim will compete favorably as an option regardless of 2 or 3 rows

1 minute ago, regfootball said:

Compare MSRP’s. The explorer in base and xlt trim will compete favorably as an option regardless of 2 or 3 rows

You can't just compare MSRPs... the two simply aren't going to be cross shopped.  If we're comparing MSRP, then the Avalon is a competitor too.  The Explorer may outsell the Blazer... but the Traverse and Acadia will too, so it doesn't really matter. 

No, the Edge is the direct competition to the Blazer, they both start at $29,995, but the Edge has the upper hand on power train and standard features right out of the gate. 

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You can't just compare MSRPs... the two simply aren't going to be cross shopped.  If we're comparing MSRP, then the Avalon is a competitor too.  The Explorer may outsell the Blazer... but the Traverse and Acadia will too, so it doesn't really matter. 

No, the Edge is the direct competition to the Blazer, they both start at $29,995, but the Edge has the upper hand on power train and standard features right out of the gate. 

The blazer is then priced miserably compared to both. At least in lower spec trims. 

Edited by regfootball

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yes. With that base 4-cylinder and no AWD in that model, it should be $4k cheaper if only to close the gap down to Equinox.

What? Sound pricing? GM would never price the Blazer sanely these days.

Better Q: who would BUY a new Blazer these days?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Perhaps, someone who wants to move up a bit from an Equinox and no third row. 

7 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I think if it were priced better, that group would be quite large. But now I know why they are making it in less volume and higher prices in Mexico. 

17 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

It'll be a lease vehicle I'm betting.  I still don't understand its placement against the Acadia. I know it is a bit smaller than Acadia, but it doesn't seem to drive any different. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It'll be a lease vehicle I'm betting.  I still don't understand its placement against the Acadia. I know it is a bit smaller than Acadia, but it doesn't seem to drive any different. 

Basically the same vehicle mechanically, right?  Same wheelbase..the Acadia has a couple inches more rear overhang for the 3rd row. 

I couldn't see considering one over a Ford Edge or a Grand Cherokee..

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

rather fitting that when the Blazer comes out, there's a lot of cheap lease offers on Acadias going on

On 2/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Edge ST for the win for me....or Grand Cherokee...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm gonna have to go drive one today.. cause your review is a complete contrast to almost everyone I've read or watched. Sales wise we'll have to see.. versus the Edge.. U people have way more faith in that ugly thing than I do. Engine-wise, I see not one issue with its specs versus the Edge ST, and I'm betting that performance comparisons will say pretty much the same. NOW! Do I think that there should be an optional, more powerful engine? Abssf@#kINlutely! But that stands on every GM CUV available. But I've said this to the point of making myself sick saying it again

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I'm gonna have to go drive one today.. cause your review is a complete contrast to almost everyone I've read or watched. Sales wise we'll have to see.. versus the Edge.. U people have way more faith in that ugly thing than I do. Engine-wise, I see not one issue with its specs versus the Edge ST, and I'm betting that performance comparisons will say pretty much the same. NOW! Do I think that there should be an optional, more powerful engine? Abssf@#kINlutely! But that stands on every GM CUV available. But I've said this to the point of making myself sick saying it again

Will be interested in your thoughts for an intelligent counter point.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, caddycruiser said:

Yet last week I had a 2018 Colorado 3.6L crew cab and was shocked at how nice it was, and "why don't they make an SUV from this?"...

GM has had the Colorado based TrailBlazer in Asia for years, but it has a very ugly greenhouse, IMO..

images-14.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Will be interested in your thoughts for an intelligent counter point.

Problem with my thoughts is that most believe that I can't find faults with GM vehicles as a whole because I am a serious GM fan. The thing is that I view GM vehicles for what they offer versus their actual competition. Apples to Apples. Come the fukk on.. someone here actually compared an Explorer to the Blazer. WTF? Why not compare a 370Z to a Grand Sport? 

Anyway..  very often, if unavailable, I ask for more to triumph over all competitors. For example.. we want to say that the Edge ST will trounce all over the Blazer RS, but looking at the actual numbers a great deal says that they are almost identical in performance. Another example is the BITCHING about the pricing of the Blazer.. when we all know.. as does the public, that by the time these vehicles go on sale there is almost always a SALE and the price is not even remotely what the MSRP says. Old school marketing and it works in making the consumer think that they are getting a better deal than they were.. even with the Internet avail. Its tiring and annoying at best hearing supposed informed enthusiasts bitch about constantly. Look here.. (Below) Its what GM does. It just is. 

blazer pric.jpg

• Agree 1

But @Cmicasa the Great, GM is on record that they are trying to cut back on incentives. 

Anyway, I went to the Pittsburgh auto show over the weekend.  I sat in all of the 2-row and smaller 3-row crossovers.  The GC has the nicest interior of them by far, but the Blazer is pretty close.  Where the Blazer falls short is interior space for the price. It doesn't feel much bigger than the old Equinox.. maybe slightly wider.  If I'm looking for room, I can pick just about anything else, but most drastically I can get into a V6 powered Durango for about the same price. If I'm looking for off-road capability, there's the GC.  If I'm looking for sportiness, there's the Edge. 

And I still haven't seen anything that tells me this drives any different than an Acadia. 

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

But @Cmicasa the Great, GM is on record that they are trying to cut back on incentives. 

Anyway, I went to the Pittsburgh auto show over the weekend.  I sat in all of the 2-row and smaller 3-row crossovers.  The GC has the nicest interior of them by far, but the Blazer is pretty close.  Where the Blazer falls short is interior space for the price. It doesn't feel much bigger than the old Equinox.. maybe slightly wider.  If I'm looking for room, I can pick just about anything else, but most drastically I can get into a V6 powered Durango for about the same price. If I'm looking for off-road capability, there's the GC.  If I'm looking for sportiness, there's the Edge. 

And I still haven't seen anything that tells me this drives any different than an Acadia. 

I haven't driven it yet.. and I will.. as U should as well. Thing is that I've driven the Acadia Denali, the Enclave, and the XT5.. I had no issues with the way they drove and that's after, in one case getting out of the V and into the XT5. I'm not in any way saying that those two drove similar.. but for a CUV, just in Sport Mode.. it drove pretty damn nice and aggressive. But then again.. I have challenged Mustangs and Camaros in cornering fast in my slightly lowered 5500 lb Yukon.. So I may be a bad person to comment. Because I DRIVE!!! Everything like I'm driving my Vette😂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I haven't driven it yet.. and I will.. as U should as well. Thing is that I've driven the Acadia Denali, the Enclave, and the XT5.. I had no issues with the way they drove and that's after, in one case getting out of the V and into the XT5. I'm not in any way saying that those two drove similar.. but for a CUV, just in Sport Mode.. it drove pretty damn nice and aggressive. But then again.. I have challenged Mustangs and Camaros in cornering fast in my slightly lowered 5500 lb Yukon.. So I may be a bad person to comment. Because I DRIVE!!! Everything like I'm driving my Vette😂

My point was that I don't see what makes the Blazer any more sporty driving than the Acadia.... it's not going to be the Camaro styling cues that make it corner better. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I hadn't looked much into what Grand Cherokees are being priced at these days, but after doing some quick research, it seems crazy evident that the GC is a screaming deal, and you know it's going to have a solid driveline to boot.  Nicely loaded GC?  Or any other GM crossover.  The Cadillac Escape...er, XT4, while being a cool vehicle, if a Grand Cherokee is a far better buy and better vehicle its an easy decision.  

Actually, as bland as I think the XT5 is, at this point I would find a lightly used XT5 or heavily discounted one a FAR better option for a CUV than this Blazer.  Until there is 7-10 grand off the Blazer, its a huge turd bucket IMO.  

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Hate to say it, GC would have my vote, followed by Edge ST. That is not to crap all over the Blazer, I like the Blazer...it just comes in third in the competition in my mind.

Just now, regfootball said:

I hadn't looked much into what Grand Cherokees are being priced at these days, but after doing some quick research, it seems crazy evident that the GC is a screaming deal, and you know it's going to have a solid driveline to boot.

An optional Hemi V8 and a choice of 4 Four wheel drive systems would seem to put it way out front in my book...

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

My point was that I don't see what makes the Blazer any more sporty driving than the Acadia.... it's not going to be the Camaro styling cues that make it corner better. 

More than Sporty driving, I want genuine 4wd performance if I give up the nimbleness of a sport hatch or sport sedan.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Hate to say it, GC would have my vote, followed by Edge ST. That is not to crap all over the Blazer, I like the Blazer...it just comes in third in the competition in my mind.

An optional Hemi V8 and a choice of 4 Four wheel drive systems would seem to put it way out front in my book...

More than Sporty driving, I want genuine 4wd performance if I give up the nimbleness of a sport hatch or sport sedan.

In my eternal shopping quest, the JGC keeps bubbling to the top of the list no matter what else comes out. 

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

In my eternal shopping quest, the JGC keeps bubbling to the top of the list no matter what else comes out. 

It would suit you infinitely well. Being 53 now, I can tell you life does not last forever. Drive something you love.

• Agree 4

I think people considering the Blazer probably will come to terms with the offering. The Balzer offers uniqueness. 

I feel Chevy has always been a stylish or classy, or solid alternative when done right. Impala has been classy. The Cruze...best NVH in class, the Sonic, well built and grown up for a compact. And now this thing.

Anybody buying in this class doesn't want stylish and good looking sedans anyways, they want the inbetween. Blazer avoids looking like an appliance, even though that's still the intended function.

GM just took a Acadia crossover and set it ABLAZE.  That's why it at least looks dynamic, hot and smaller.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

WOW, did not realize just how much they match now. Chevrolet with that damn ugly Predator mouth. :banghead:

2019ChevroletBlazer.jpg

2019LexusRX.jpg

The Chevy is infinitely better looking.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The Chevy is infinitely better looking.

I saw one in person at Philly Auto show.  It is definitely not as good looking in person as it is in that picture.  And there was at the show a lower trim as well that looked like it came directly from a rental lot.  Wasn't wowed by interior either, it is not bad but it didn't look special either.  I didn't drive it yet but I think I would take Grand Cherokee over it any time of the day, and I think I would take few other vehicles too before it.

It looks sporty but I haven't seen ONE review that said it drives as sporty as it looks.  GM could justify the price if it would be a performance crossover but if it drives like Acadia, I would rather have more practical Acadia.

Edited by ykX

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, at least the Lexus has chrome trim around it's ugly grille, rather than cheesy black plastic...

Some design features do not deserve e highlighting.

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 8.09.05 AM.png

Both of them bring back the childhood memory of catching rattlesnakes, feeding frogs to them and watching the mouth of the snake open up. Mom got tired of cleaning out my sisters wading pool, but it was quite the show.  Curious to which will lunge first at the Nissan versa in front of it at a traffic light...

13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Ughhhh, Blazer is not bad looking...but that Lexus...ugh...if I didn't like you I would downvote this......

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I saw one in person at Philly Auto show.  It is definitely not as good looking in person as it is in that picture.  And there was at the show a lower trim as well that looked like it came directly from a rental lot.  Wasn't wowed by interior either, it is not bad but it didn't look special either.  I didn't drive it yet but I think I would take Grand Cherokee over it any time of the day, and I think I would take few other vehicles too before it.

It looks sporty but I haven't seen ONE review that said it drives as sporty as it looks.  GM could justify the price if it would be a performance crossover but if it drives like Acadia, I would rather have more practical Acadia.

Agreed on the Grand Cherokee. Chevy isn't even close on this one. Not even close.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Similar, ugly, cheesy styling.. I wonder if GM hired a Lexus stylist.  Using wild styling to hide the mediocre FWD transverse engine appliance underneath....how boring..I wonder when this stupid trend of overwrought grilles will go away and we get some subtlety in design. 

A few automakers are doing subtle w/ their crossovers and SUVs, but not many.   Land Rover/Range Rover, Jeep for the most part, and Ford come to mind.  Generally clean styling and not overwrought cheese... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Similar, ugly, cheesy styling.. I wonder if GM hired a Lexus stylist.  Using wild styling to hide the mediocre FWD transverse engine appliance underneath....how boring..I wonder when this stupid trend of overwrought grilles will go away and we get some subtlety in design. 

Go no further than out to your garage....you already own it.

26 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Go no further than out to your garage....you already own it.

Heh-heh..about 15 feet from my office...I'm a biased Jeep fan, I'll admit, but I do think Jeep does pretty clean styling overall.   (ignore my messy garage, I have plans for it..storing the patio furniture cushions etc in there now). 

unnamed-4.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, ykX said:

My fear is that GM has already killed the Blazer like they did the Trailblazer. They only built the SS after building plenty of appliance regular ones. The Trailblazer SS is what should have been the base and then taken it capable handling to the next level with a Premier and true SS version.

The blazer is a fine appliance auto for getting from Point A to B and yet that is about all I get from what I have seen and read so far.

GM Failed to take the passion of the auto with the history of being an off road CUV and making it that from the beginning.

2019 Blazer is just another street appliance in a different set of cloths. Yes it will sell and sell once they throw money on the hood. Will it trend set? NO

Blazer, 😢 Poor execution on what it really could have been.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Heh-heh..about 15 feet from my office...I'm a biased Jeep fan, I'll admit, but I do think Jeep does pretty clean styling overall.   (ignore my messy garage, I have plans for it..storing the patio furniture cushions etc in there now). 

unnamed-4.jpg

You are lacking two bandsaws, two table saws, a shaper, two drill presses, two large work benches, a radial arm saw, a planer, a Jointer,  several large pieces of lumber, and two wood lathes.  Your shop is spotless in comparison.

52 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The Blazer looks so bad outside of the RS trim.. RS looks really good but any other trim just looks awkward. 

Like an eleven year old kid at a middle school dance level of awkward....yes.

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

^^ and they have such awful colors outside of the standard red/black/white/silver

Agree completely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

You are lacking two bandsaws, two table saws, a shaper, two drill presses, two large work benches, a radial arm saw, a planer, a Jointer,  several large pieces of lumber, and two wood lathes.  Your shop is spotless in comparison.

heh-heh...yeah, my garage barely fits two vehicles and a bit of storage.  No room for a wood working shop.  Alas, my Dad left behind of ton of such wood working equipment--was one of his hobbies...lots of saws, etc...been sitting over 20 years untouched in the barn on the family farm, got to do something with it eventually (that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

heh-heh...yeah, my garage barely fits two vehicles and a bit of storage.  No room for a wood working shop.  Alas, my Dad left behind of ton of such wood working equipment--was one of his hobbies...lots of saws, etc...been sitting over 20 years untouched in the barn on the family farm, got to do something with it eventually (that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

I may be able to help you resell it if you ever choose to. Pretty much have everything I need myself.

26 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I may be able to help you resell it if you ever choose to. Pretty much have everything I need myself.

No one my friend ever has everything they need when it comes to tools! ;)

I always seem to find a tool I need for a project. :P 

I like the Kinetic Blue, wish they had a Deep Forest Green for this, but having an RS configured the way I like it, is a $52,655 auto and I just have to question the value in this auto for that price.

image.png

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

^^ and they have such awful colors outside of the standard red/black/white/silver

Right?!? I just don't really understand it... 

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

is a $52,655 auto and I just have to question the value in this auto for that price.

Little to no value at that price.. 

• Agree 3