DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT AWD 3.6

Blazer seems fast though.  I would not order the 21" whills, I'd stick with the standard 20".  I think it's a better looking whill.  The optional 20" black whill on lower Blazer trims is way too generic/aftermarket looking.  In lower trims, the Ford is definitely the nicer vehicle.  I love the optional machined/black whill on the Edge.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Thanks 1

After seeing and sitting in the Blazer, it does look better in person than in photos.  Not for me, though.  And $48k for a 2wd Premier trim seemed high IMO. 

The Edge ST looked nice, but the interior didn't impress.  Saw a Stelvio at the show also, too many people in line to get inside, but it looked cramped. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Am I wrong in thinking that when buying a Chevy, buying the Premier (formerly LTZ) trim level is the only way to go?

Nah RS is the only way to go, actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Am I wrong in thinking that when buying a Chevy, buying the Premier (formerly LTZ) trim level is the only way to go?

Well, it is the most loaded and has chrome.  The RS has too much black trim, IMO. 

11 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

When buying a Chevy, the only trim worth buying is the one that trims is the WT trim

The Wallet Trim.

Outside of the Performance oriented Camaros and the vette, yes...

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 7:34 AM, caddycruiser said:

A Stelvio is more than an option...it works.

If I one more time hear the GM Derangement of "but there will be rebates". Some people on this forum and in the world are so set in old ways, that's their immediate reply to anyone saying a GM is high priced or under featured. "But there will be rebates". No, not always. It's just overpriced and not great. Go see what's on the market.

Here's a $50k Stelvio...NO WAY, in any way shape or form, vs. any $50k Blazer...should anyone ever buy a Blazer when things like this exist, and real world, is just a different level of vehicle, drive quality, features, etc. If it's too special for you...spend less...and go get a loaded Grand Cherokee, Edge, etc...

https://www.alfaromeousaofdowningtown.com/new-Malvern-2019-Alfa+Romeo-Stelvio-Sport-ZASPAKAN6K7C31682

More important...if everyone stuck in GM world wants to keep saying "but there are rebates...". Sure. Go compare an actual transaction price and lease payment, real world. May be alarmed.

I've yet to see any of these have any semblance of a "deal" GM over thinkers want to keep claiming. Those base & LT 2.5L ones are set for Enterprise, before long, as will the high end $50k ones.

https://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/topic/91655-driven-2019-alfa-romeo-stelvio-ti-sport-awd/

^^^ my Stelvio review

So to answer the question.  I think I've seen the Blazer now actually getting decent reviews online / buffbooks-websites.  Not glowing, but decent.  I think when you get a Blazer that is specced at 50k and a Stelvio that is specced at 50k its an interesting comparison.  The Chevy would be a Premier or RS and be fairly loaded up.  I think 'middle America' would probably be more 'comfortable' in the Blazer... the Stelvio is a better vehicle dynamically and for fun driving experience and has the better interior environment.  Since so many vehicles are hitting that 50k point I don't think I can answer absolutely here.  Think of all the other competition in this zone also (Jaguar etc.).  If I am looking at a 50k Blazer I probably hedge my bets and take the 50k (what price actual) and look at so many of the other GM options here.  Traverse, Enclave, XT5, Acadia Denali..... but some GM fans don't want a huger vehicle or a third row.  So for those folks the Blazer is their world and a foreign car, despite being better dynamically, will seem out of the mainstream or will be weird.  Once the inevitable GM discounts kick in, the Blazer will become a better value...just enough for the middle America folks to pull the trigger.  The Stelvio is definitely a better vehicle in many ways (except the rear sear is too tight).  I think actually an Edge ST intender may be the best direct comparison to the Stelvio.  The Blazer just becomes the default option for those who want to say they've moved up the food chain over an Equinox.

With the 2020 Blazer getting the 2.0 LSY as an option, I see it possible that a FWD 2.0 Blazer may be a nice stealth rig for less money.

Edited by regfootball

• 5 months later...

Spent the week in Rochester, NY. Was the first place I've seen these in any kind of couple a day volume, almost all in exactly the same configuration with these nasty base wheels.

Basically a squatty, ever so slightly wider Equinox V6. Rochester market is big for Chevy, Ford, etc. so it made sense. But day to day "what's the payment on that" vs. when you could be in a loaded Grand Cherokee, etc. for less...🤨

IMG_3989.jpg

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 3

On 9/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, caddycruiser said:

Spent the week in Rochester, NY. Was the first place I've seen these in any kind of couple a day volume, almost all in exactly the same configuration with these nasty base wheels.

Basically a squatty, ever so slightly wider Equinox V6. Rochester market is big for Chevy, Ford, etc. so it made sense. But day to day "what's the payment on that" vs. when you could be in a loaded Grand Cherokee, etc. for less...🤨

IMG_3989.jpg

agree that the base wheels are less than amazing.

Chevy has got to start gashing prices on these soon, since they are so overpriced.  Leasing is actually good on these now.  They may get me sucked in.  Hey there's worse, like I could drive a Santa Fe.

One thing to note, for 2020 as Chevy is adding the 2.0 to the Blazer line, I do not think the v6 will be available on the 1LT.  If that is the case, this is your only chance to get a 1LT with cloth and a low price with a V6.

Chevy did add a wheel upgrade option to the 1LT that is quite rare but it really helps the look.  However, it also adds $1999!  to the price of an already overpriced vehicle.  This one was on the lot in my hometown for less than a week and it was gone   Someone must have liked the wheels .  Really also sucks you can't get a moonroof on the LT, either. That's bush league GM tactics as usual.  I really dig red hot.

43098BE3-C13E-40E8-B435-56A3BED0D231.jpeg

9D4F6E28-C5E0-4AD0-AF3C-AF22BCF53D0F.jpeg

5FC445E2-4C7C-4EEA-BC20-2566F7667270.jpeg

BA3F518E-116D-4A65-A766-D511C359F4FC.jpeg

Edited by regfootball

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I just don't like the look at all.  I assume I'll be trying one out at the car events happening in October. 

I've been looking closer at the crossover market more and more and TBH so very few of them look good enough to fall into the liking the look category.

If I look within GM, i think the Blazer looks better than the Acadia, even if it doesn't have the rear seat.  I like the XT4 but its a bit small.  The Xt5 is a nice package although not uber nice inside, and actually is cost close to the Blazer in some trims right now.  The Buick has the Envision which i like (except for the nasty plood dash) and the Enclave, which I don't need 2 vehicles that big.  The Equinox / Terrain twins, I just am not in love with although i think they fit the market ok.

So I've considered looking at an Edge ST, but it may be pricey.  And, the Edge is already looking dated as well.

Edited by regfootball

Hate to say it, but GM needs to cut their CUV prices to regain market share.  I suggest $3000 off MSRP from base to top trim (Chevrolet especially).  Ideally GM would just price a Premier trim level at LT price levels.  They could also simplify trim levels too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Hate to say it, but GM needs to cut their CUV prices to regain market share.  I suggest $3000 off MSRP from base to top trim (Chevrolet especially).  Ideally GM would just price a Premier trim level at LT price levels.  They could also simplify trim levels too.

They'll do the Khols special and just slap discounts all over the place to make the consumer feel like they're getting a killer deal(which they'll be getting the vehicles at about what they should be selling them for, imo).

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

They'll do the Khols special and just slap discounts all over the place to make the consumer feel like they're getting a killer deal(which they'll be getting the vehicles at about what they should be selling them for, imo).

Unfortunately, that is the psychology of today's shopper... they only want the car if they're getting big rebates or special financing. Ignoring the fact that the price of the car has been jacked up.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Unfortunately, that is the psychology of today's shopper... they only want the car if they're getting big rebates or special financing. Ignoring the fact that the price of the car has been jacked up.

SAD but very true.  Unfortunately, the perception of the car buyer has outdistanced the reality of car pricing for a long time.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Potluck said:

That's a bit of a stretch

See the source image

There same color and a true 2019 camaro against the 2019 Blazer. They clearly have family traits.

From the front end nose with lights to the rear quarter panels and glass you can see the consistent traits.

I sort of test drove a blazer again and I realized I must have really been having a bad day when i did that first test.  It's a decent vehicle.  It sure is more refined than the Edge.  That said, I still believe all across the model line, it is overpriced and packaged stupidly.  I'll throw some new notes up when i get a chance.  I must have some bipolar in me that when i drove it the first time it really set me off.  It was also quite cold that first time that day, and perhaps it wreaked havoc with how the car drove.  I would not fault anyone for getting one, its just still is it your cup of tea.  The v6 impressed me more this time around.  Quite the speedy little crossover, actually.