Polestar 2 Unveiled Ahead of Geneva: Comments

Polestar, a sub-brand of Volvo, is taking direct aim at the Tesla Model 3 with its just unveiled Polestar 2.  Polestar says it will be the first EV to compete directly against the Model 3 in the marketplace.  The MSRP of the Polestar 2 is listed at 39,900€ or about $45,395 at today's exchange rate. Polestar will start with a Launch Edition model at 59,900€ ($68,150) will be the lead off model for the first 12 months of production.

The Polestar is a dual-motor 5-door fastback with a 78kWh battery that allows for a 310 mile range on the European cycle, or 275 miles when rated by the US EPA. Built on Volvo's Compact Modular Architecture, the battery is built into the floor of the chassis to increase structural rigidity and reduces noise.

The dual-motor all-wheel drive setup in the Polestar 2 produces 408 hp and 487 lb-ft of torque and launches the car to 62 mph in under 5 seconds. Charging time was not released, but Polestar is partnering with the largest public charging networks to provide a hassle free charging experience.  Charging point locations are accessible through a phone app or the in-car electronics. Drivers' phone can also act as a key.

Thought into progressive design is shown inside and out.  Pixel LED headlights and proximity lighting show a unique welcome sequence. The new Polestar logo is projected onto the panoramic sunroof. The interior is constructed entirely out of vegan materials.

Polestar 2 013.jpg

Production of Polestar 2 starts early next year in China.  The Polestar 2 will only be available for order online.  Initially, Polestar 2 will only be offered in China, U.S., Canada, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and UK.

Polestar Press Release on Page 2

Polestar reveals new Polestar 2

Polestar has taken the next step in its development as the electric performance brand with the reveal of the new Polestar 2. Polestar 2 is the new all-electric fastback that brings electric performance cars to a broader and increasingly progressive audience. It offers avant-garde design and a unique customer experience in the premium compact electric segment. Polestar 2 is the first electric car to compete in the marketplace around the Tesla Model 3, with the range starting at a guide price of 39,900 euros. For the first 12 months of production, guide price of the launch edition is 59,900 euros1.

“Polestar 2 is our first fully electric car and first volume model. Everything about it has been designed and engineered with passion and dedication. As an electric performance brand, and through the forthcoming launch of a portfolio of fully electric cars, Polestar is determined to address the world’s air quality challenges. Polestar delivers electric performance cars that are great to own and drive,” says Thomas Ingenlath, Chief Executive Officer of Polestar.

Polestar 2 is a premium five-door fastback with two electric motors and a 78 kWh battery capacity2 that will enable a targeted range of 500 km3, based on Volvo Car Group’s adaptable Compact Modular Architecture platform (CMA). The 27-module battery pack is integrated into the floor and contributes to the rigidity of the chassis as well as improves the car’s noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels – road noise has been reduced by 3.7 dB compared to a traditional chassis.

Polestar will answer the important question of charging Polestar 2 with a smart, convenient and extensive approach. With a connected digital solution available both in-car and on mobile devices, Polestar is setting up strategic collaborations to give Polestar 2 owners easy and hassle-free access to the world’s largest public charging networks.

For Polestar, performance underlies the entire driving experience. The all-wheel drive electric powertrain in Polestar 2 produces 300 kW (408 hp) and 660 Nm (487 lb-ft). This translates to a 0-100 km/h acceleration time of less than 5 seconds.

The standard dynamic chassis can be enhanced by the Performance Pack that improves driving dynamics with Öhlins dampers, Brembo brakes and unique 20-inch forged wheels. Polestar’s signature gold seat belts, brake callipers and valve caps complete the performance visuals.

Highlighting the technology spearhead role that Polestar plays within the Volvo Car Group, Polestar 2 is one of the first cars in the world to embed an infotainment system powered by Android. The Android backbone provides a solid and adaptable digital environment for apps and vehicle functions to coexist, and brings embedded Google services to a car for the first time – including the Google Assistant, Google Maps with support for electric vehicles and the Google Play Store5. Natural voice control and a new 11-inch touch screen display bring the new interface to life.

Phone-as-Key technology enables car sharing and a more integrated ownership experience, as well as Polestar’s connected services such as pick-up and delivery. It also allows Polestar 2 to sense the driver upon approach. Smart features like enlarged graphics in the instrument cluster allow the driver to easily see the charging status and range before entering the car. Polestar 2 can also predetermine the driver’s next move to create a seamless experience with a prepared cabin and quick start sequence.

Maximilian Missoni, head of Design at Polestar, comments: “We decided to bring something different to the segment. Our avant-garde design has evolved from Polestar 1 into an edgier, bolder statement. We have also designed a standard vegan interior with progressive textiles that will appeal to the forward-thinking audience who will subscribe to Polestar 2.”

Design-led features include Pixel LED headlights4 and proximity lighting which enable a unique welcome sequence, Polestar’s now-signature frameless side mirrors and the unique illuminated Polestar logo, which is reflected onto the car’s panoramic glass roof.

In common with all Polestar cars, Polestar 2 will only be available for ordering online. The guide purchase price for the launch version of Polestar 2 is 59,900 euros1 with subscription pricing to follow at a later date. Pre-orders are open at polestar.com. Production of Polestar 2 begins in early 2020 in China for global markets in both left- and right-hand drive.

Polestar 2 will make its first public appearance at the 2019 Geneva International Motor Show in March, and then embark on a global roadshow in Europe, North America and China throughout 2019. Polestar 2 will also be available in a network of soon-to-be-opened Polestar Spaces that will provide physical viewing and test drive opportunities.

Initial launch markets include China, the United States, Canada, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and the UK. Other markets are under consideration for future expansion.

View full article

From Car and Driver article, somebody FINALLY admits:

"Hoping to attract a young, Wi-Fi–seeking demographic, Polestar is trying a new approach to infotainment. The 2 will run Google's Android operating system natively, without access brokered through the Android Auto app. Ingenlath says this will improve both integration and functionality, admitting that tech giants are just better at this kind of thing than auto companies. "Let's stop the bull$h!. We acknowledge that we will always run behind, so we should simply use what is the best system and put it into our car," he says. The Android system will include Google Maps navigation and respond to voice commands."

• Like 2

Outside looks ok...interior is too dark and gloomy.  I'm sure the interior is fine as far as materials and fit and finish, I really like the current Volvo interior designs.  But I prefer their interiors with color and wood rather than the coalmine look...

2017_volvo_s90_sedan_t6-inscription_i_oem_1_400.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Outside looks ok...interior is too dark and gloomy.  

I am happier as @Drew Dowdell pointed out to me on my comment on the picture, it is a hatchback, so not the traditional 4 door coupe. As far as the interior, Drew is hoping for a high end cloth treatment and that might not play well with pictures but could be very nice and warm to the touch. 

I hope the interior has options for various high end cloth options for a warm soft touch throughout.

Would love a Mocha theme interior, Ocean theme, Forest Theme and City theme. I think you could have some very nice luxury cloth interiors. 

• Agree 1

The Polestar is available for order solely via the Polestar website, and pre-orders can be placed now. First deliveries in the U.S. will occur in the second quarter of 2020. Pricing for the launch spec car will be $55,500 after federal tax incentives ($7,500). A base car will be available next at an estimated price of $47,500 after incentives.

~ Architectural Digest, 02.27.19

OEMs have GOT to stop with the disingenuous advertising. The car is not "$55,500", you pay $63,000, and MAYBE you get some (or all) of a credit on your taxes. Or nothing. Volvo has no idea (and why would they even care). So the actual prices per above are : $63,000 and $55,000. And the volvos this year are $33,700 to $52,300.

Instead of electrifying Volvos, they've created a new, luxury-priced 'brand', assumedly to justify charging more than ever before.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/27/2019 at 2:58 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

All of the pictures look unusually dark. Not sure why.

Well, the mood around it, being what it is, is pure gloom.  So they are brilliantly keeping it real.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well, the mood around it, being what it is, is pure gloom.  So they are brilliantly keeping it real.

Actually Blu Doom and Gloom attitude is why! ;) 

12 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Does it come with a tan interior, or is the only interior just all black?

You can build yours here: https://www.polestar.com/us/

You have the Charcoal Weave Tech with Black Ash Deco or Nappa Leather Barley with wood deco.

image.png

My $63,000 Moon colored Polestar with the Nappa two tone interior, fully loaded.

image.png

• Haha 1

Pretty dull exterior color choices...funny how they call the black 'Void'.    Not much going on w/ interior colors, the barley is tolerable...the slate and charcoal are too depressing.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Pretty dull exterior color choices...funny how they call the black 'Void'.   

Very true, weird color names, but at least the auto is better looking than the Tesla 3. I could actually be happy to be seen in this car if I fit.

That is the rub, while many young people might be happy to order on-line with no physical checking out of the auto, I cannot and will not ever do that as I have to check for my leg room and head room.

This is why I am concerned that Tesla is shooting themselves in the foot. One Size fits all the shopping model will never make.

Give me a Dealership.

• Agree 1

I like the current Volvo styling, but I am not a big fan of this.  The Teslas look better, they are on sale now, no need to wait and Tesla has way more brand cache than Polestar that anyone that isn't an automotive geek probably never heard of.

46 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I like the current Volvo styling, but I am not a big fan of this.  The Teslas look better, they are on sale now, no need to wait and Tesla has way more brand cache than Polestar that anyone that isn't an automotive geek probably never heard of.

Tesla has plenty of problems and I do not get how you can say they look better than the Polestar 2. Tesla is butt ugly compared to this.

The Chinese made a better looking EV than an American created company. 

This is the competition that we have and we need to stop being lazy. People want normal looking auto's, not jelly bean bland cars and CUVs like Tesla makes.

Tesla has some of the best battery packs, circuit boards and ideas, but their styling leave much to be desired. This will be proven out as more and more EV's hit the market and people leave Tesla in droves to go with other brands.

I like how the Model S looks.  Polestar doesn't just have to worry about Tesla, they also have to worry about Audi and Mercedes.  And I imagine most buyers will want one of the German luxury EV's over a Chinese made Polestar.  We've seen how brands like Genesis and Alfa Romeo snuggle to get going, and Alfa is an old brand.

• Haha 1