Drew Dowdell

Tesla Unveils the Model Y

Tesla unveiled their newest addition to their lineup, the Tesla Model Y, last night at an event in Los Angeles. 

The Model Y is a crossover based on the Model 3 platform but is large enough to carry 7 adults. Inside, the high seating and panoramic roof lend a feeling of spaciousness.  A front trunk and split folding second-row seats provide a total 66 cubic feet of storage. Like on the Model 3, accessing the Model Y works from a connection to the driver's smartphone.  The Tesla Mobile App connects to features like remote door lock, Summon, remote pre-conditioning, location tracking, and more.  Tesla has built the Model Y to be the safest mid-size SUV with rigid body structure and large crumple zone.  

The Model Y will come in 4 powertrain variants.  The Standard Range version will start at $39,000 plus $1,200 delivery charge. It will also be offered in Long Range, Dual-Motor All-Wheel Drive, and Performance.  The highest performance Model Y will have a 0-60 of 3.5 second and a top speed of 150 mph.  Standard Range battery will offer 230 miles of range while the Long Range version will offer 300 miles on a full charge. 

tesla-march-event-28.jpg

Deliveries of the Performance, Long Range, and Dual-Motor models will begin in Fall of 2020 while the Standard Range will begin deliveries in Spring of 2021.

View full article

Looks nice.  Does it really seat 7?  Looks too low in the back to me. I’m sure they will sell a lot of these too. 

Fall 2020 seems a long way off.  But 7 seat Crossover Coupe could be the new hot thing.  

Posted (edited)

Looks awfully tiny to seat 7 adults.  I bet it's not 7 dfelt sized adults.   the cargo capacity w/ seat down is slightly more than the Blazer. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2

Smaller than the Model X but we are expected to believe that it carries seven people? That must be some serious chronic Elon is smoking. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Looks awfully tiny to seat 7 adults.  I bet it's not 7 dfelt sized adults.   the cargo capacity w/ seat down is slightly more than the Blazer. 

I watched the whole reveal while working till 2am this morning. I will say that the 7 people they had come out of the auto were all around 5'4" or so. They all clearly were shorter than Musk. 

What little you could see in the videos, I honestly think the 3rd row is for kids or for comfort adults that are little people, under 5' tall.

At best maybe 4 people my size can fit in it but in reality, only 2 people my size as in the Model X no one can sit behind me.

When it was teased under that black cover from the rear 3/4 shot, first thing in my mind was, Great another ugly Prius type hatchback.

Guess I was not far off on it. Yes fits the family, I hope it is successful, but I honestly think Rivian has some better cool stuff in their auto's.

With that much slope to the rear roof, I can imagine the headroom in row 2 and 3 to be pretty bad. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The continued up-front advertising of top speed is utterly bizarre/pointless. Not braking distance or a towing capability, but top speed. As if anyone is testing this. And oh; "I'm going to pony up another EIGHT GRAND so I can go 130, because 120 JUST AIN'T GONNA CUT IT!".

Nutter observation : model Y was unveiled today, and Telsa stock dropped 5% on an up day. Wonder what investors were looking for that they didn't get?

Edited by balthazar

51 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The continued up-front advertising of top speed is utterly bizarre/pointless. Not braking distance or a towing capability, but top speed. As if anyone is testing this. And oh; "I'm going to pony up another EIGHT GRAND so I can go 130, because 120 JUST AIN'T GONNA CUT IT!".

Nutter observation : model Y was unveiled today, and Telsa stock dropped 5% on an up day. Wonder what investors were looking for that they didn't get?

Buy on rumor, sell on news?

Posted (edited)

Mr. Balthy. 

Its part of the sex appeal of driving and owning a Tesla.  Teslas are not just same ole same ole, save the planet from ourselves electric vehicles. When unveiling the Model 3 he was quoted in saying: "At Tesla, we dont make slow cars." 

Tesla's 4 vehicles now officially spell  S-3-X-Y.  3 because Mercedes blocked him for using the letter E. 

SEXY

And speed is sexy. And speed, apparently, sells.  

And what seems to be amusing is that Tesla engineers are harnessing what electric motors can do in propelling a vehicle with much speed and getting solid range with the batteries.  Im sure that if Tesla engineers geared the motors and the batteries and the computer software towards less speed, that the range would be  slightly more than what Tesla vehicles currently actually offer, but Im also sure that talking about range without the speed might be less sexy and therefore a lot less sales. 

Its Tesla's marketing and image. And it seems to be working. I wouldnt change up the Model Y's image to be different from the other 3 Tesla models. 

As far as the shares going down...maybe its because Tesla has hinted that in the next quarter, Tesla might be losing money...again...and therefore hocus pocus smoke and mirror announcements of another model might not have deflected that reality...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I read it was Ford that blocked Tesla from using the name 'Model E'...Ford has that trademarked (probably for a future CUV EV).    And yes, performance is very much part of the marketing and brand allure of Telsa as is the 'green' EV angle.  After all, EVs like the Bolt and Leaf are sold on the 'green' hype angle and not performance.

Performance has been used to sell cars for decades, as we all should know.  Whether or not the typical driver ever fully uses that performance potential is immaterial..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I thought it was Mercedes...

Cool, it was Ford. 

Per the Book of Knowledge:

The Model 3 was codenamed Tesla BlueStar in the original business plan in 2007.[49][50] The intended name was Model E, which was abandoned due to Ford trademark. Model 3, originally stylized as "Model ☰", was announced on Musk's Twitter account on July 16, 2014.[51] Musk wanted the three current models to spell SEX, but settled for "S3X".[52] In early 2017, after trademark opposition regarding Adidas's three stripes logo,[53] the triplicate horizontal-bar stylization was abandoned and changed to a numeric "3".[54]

I didn't know about the Adidas triple stripe aspect to the naming.   The triple stripe reminds me of the hamburger menu seen on the top left or top right of mobile websites..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

The Model 3 was codenamed Tesla BlueStar in the original business plan in 2007.[49][50] The intended name was Model E, which was abandoned due to Ford trademark. Model 3, originally stylized as "Model ☰", was announced on Musk's Twitter account on July 16, 2014.[51] Musk wanted the three current models to spell SEX, but settled for "S3X".[52] In early 2017, after trademark opposition regarding Adidas's three stripes logo,[53] the triplicate horizontal-bar stylization was abandoned and changed to a numeric "3".[54]

Yeah...I heard about Adidas too!

Twice cockblocked. LOL

Ironic to the S3X part and what I just said in that when we were young , we used to say that Adidas stands for

All Day I Dream About Sex

But this is not 'performance potential'; it's specifically top speed. 120 isn't a marketing advantage, it isn't even that fast. Everyday, family cars were doing 120-125 60 years ago.

Image result for yeah well gif

I agree with you on the top speed part, but the 0-60 and quarter mile stuff on the Model Y is pretty fast tho. Just like the other 3 Teslas.

I guess the Model Y cant be a winner on speed on all fronts then? Because I dont know what else to say about it. 

On 3/15/2019 at 8:47 PM, Robert Hall said:

I didn't know about the Adidas triple stripe aspect to the naming.   The triple stripe reminds me of the hamburger menu seen on the top left or top right of mobile websites..

Which makes one wonder if he could not have the Model E, why not the Model Ǝ and really F&*K with Ford! :P 

This would then have given Tesla the Following Models:

SƎXY

:D

• Haha 1

So then I wonder if the next two models will be Model M and Model F?  Would spell out the title of a Prince song...

• Haha 1

Reminds me of a baby platypus.  Other words escape me at the moment to describe the level of amusement this vehicle provides.  This is Musk trolling his cult so hard, and they either don't see it or they do.not.care, they are so in love.

Tesla sent out an email inviting people to reserve the Model Y. For delivery starting in late 2021, you have to put down $2,500

1-ModelYPreOrderEmail.jpg