DRIVEN: 2020 Cadillac XT6 AWD Sport, MSRP about 63,500

DRIVEN: 2020 Cadillac XT6 AWD Sport, MSRP about 63,500.  Satin Steel exterior, black interior.

HIGHS:

-Peppy, responsive 3.6 v6 and 9 speed auto. 

-Nice quick steering, unusual for a CUV and especially for Cadillac.

-Overall, nice suspension, ride and handling.  Comfortable but tight in turns, feels darn near sedan like, Cadillac did a really nice job with the steering, ride and handling.

-I didn't take issue with the interior so much, apart from it's dated and dull design.  At least in all black it looked pretty good and textures and plastics and build quality were nice; I just don't have a good frame of reference for interiors vs. the whole of the competition.

-Some have criticized Cadillac's 'plain' gauges (the newest style) but i really like them.  Not fussy looking.

-Some have criticized Cadillac for lack of bolster on the seats but my wide corn fed midwestern body liked the flatter wider seat.

-The last few years, Cadillac infotainment control has become some of the best.  Quite the same as in my Buick.  Bad CUE has been relegated to the scrap heap.

-The XT6 tall boxy shape lends for a lot of glass area and upright cabin and therefore visibility is top notch all around.  The new rear camera mirror is icing on the cake for a great view all around.

-For those that like mid size SUV's the front row is pretty spacious; it's the same size as the XT5.

-The tall boxy shape also makes for a LOT of headroom....plus the seating is taller in the second row, it helps make it seem as though leg room is generous.

-Cargo space is tall, and good room with 3rd row down.

-The XT6 particular in Sport trim is quite stealthy looking.  No one really would get that its a Cadillac on first glance and its boxy shape is likely not to draw much ire from law enforcement.

-Quietness and road noise comfort in the cabin that is better than the lesser GM counterparts.

-This example had the heads up display.  Glad GM still puts those in a few vehicles.

-No way I attempt to get into the third row, but it actually LOOKED like smaller humans may be able to enjoy sitting back there....even if they are hanging way over the back end.....

-A good three row Cadillac for empty nesters, boomers, and Grandparents.

LOW'S

-XT6 is good power but an uplevel engine option IMO is warranted as the prices climb.  And considering the competition within the luxury marques.

-The engine sounds are really similar to the XT4...really throaty and it revs out.  At times, the Cadillac traditionalists would consider it 'noisy' (I don't).  It's a shame that may keep a lot of driver's from 'stepping on it' and accessing the zip.

-Second row cabin width, is challenged....2-4 more inches in the width of the second row seating (and cargo area) may have been nice.

-Level of exterior styling, design and interiors is not perhaps up to the level of the pricing.... it's good, but perhaps the platinum package makes a difference, IDK.  

-Overall, interiors and exteriors lacks presence in the company of (for example) the Aviator that was on the same parking lot that day.

SUMMARY

Not a bad vehicle at all, and yet, not an object of luxury car market desire.  Surprising in some vehicle dynamics and otherwise not seeming to be 'compelling', yet as the best and most refined choice for GM fans in the midsize 3 row SUV segment its got some appeal as a unique choice and stealth / wallflower factor.  Rushed to market, and it shows, sort of a Frankenstein offering that doesn't get your attention right away.

Now, this would have been an AWESOME vehicle if it had come out as the original SRX in 2004......it's still sort of the Vibes of 2004.........

---Recommended for those who appreciate the ride and handling / suspension, snarly powertrain, quietness and comfort, stealth factor and uniqueness, and popular mid size.  Just don't pay too much....make sure you get a great discount.

Edited by regfootball
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

These pictures below are not the actual test drive unit, but they are close.  This was an XT6 in the showroom.  I think this one may have an upgraded interior over the one I test drove.  I'll be able to weed out the photo duplicates later.

648F84CF-44FC-4BA2-BC14-61C77C3CAA86.jpeg

310DDF2C-6542-484B-8AF8-4C726A7D4739.jpeg

BF034A5B-FC5F-43CC-9F92-9956C2ABAF20.jpeg

4EC2C071-E331-4D29-BB67-125DB62C7603.jpeg

3F09510A-A64B-49F1-9DF7-8DBF372E66EA.jpeg

35CE3FF2-249D-426E-A65B-227398D5F7B6.jpeg

201671EC-FC43-4F26-9879-20E796C89920.jpeg

7367B3CE-CCFB-4A29-86E3-7833F3E7E1C6.jpeg

B45C5D66-9062-4BC9-9956-D353824E18B9.jpeg

86085A24-C0C6-4537-B393-2B4D14773547.jpeg

E395D530-BB95-4BDC-AF9D-35E4948B2DC1.jpeg

538683E1-CD9B-4767-B6A0-14D5212F2D08.jpeg

C36D7CE2-042B-4CCF-A8D0-10B9E4277026.jpeg

F97479B4-62EB-44B3-842A-53BA5338FB70.jpeg

68A2CB70-7404-45AE-A7F8-FEB682351DF3.jpeg

3B1FB722-0CFC-4F66-BAED-A2982E4A672B.jpeg

9438FE23-B619-4773-A7E4-AAF429F81B2D.jpeg

1056C215-81CE-48F8-9E97-36F50B45E8EA.jpeg

Edited by regfootball
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2021 at 7:51 PM, balthazar said:

Saw an XT6 tonight, driving home in the dark. Recognized the blade lights and the reflection off the fine-toothed grillework.

I see nothing on the exterior or interior that says 'rush job' whatsoever.

It is a fine looking vehicle. 

On 1/13/2021 at 1:41 AM, daves87rs said:

Do like the simple deign of it....

Agreed. 

On 1/15/2021 at 12:51 PM, Robert Hall said:

Meh, Nothing special--remember, this is an AWD/transverse engine generic platform underneath... for a 3 row luxury CUV/SUV, I wouldn't take one over the or a Merc GLE, BMW X5, Lincoln Aviator or the new Grand Cherokee L...

It would be Lincoln or Jeep for my money!

• Agree 2

On 1/15/2021 at 11:51 AM, Robert Hall said:

Meh, Nothing special--remember, this is an AWD/transverse engine generic platform underneath... for a 3 row luxury CUV/SUV, I wouldn't take one over the or a Merc GLE, BMW X5, Lincoln Aviator or the new Grand Cherokee L...

That grand Cherokee L is sweet. 

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, David said:

So then this XT6 or a Grand Cherokee L? 🤔

image.png

image.png

Considering the XT6 starts at $52,695, Aviator starts at $51,100, give me the Aviator all day. 3.0TT over that mediocre 3.6. 

The Grand Cherokee L supposedly is going to start right around 40k, which seems low but we also only have seen high end models.

2020-lincoln-aviator.thumb.jpg.6c52a3436e34641e135fd9ba53912f7f.jpg

I certainly want to see this color, Wilder Metallic, on a vehicle and not just the "build and price". I can't seem to find a "real" picture of one.

1850724124_WilderMetallic.JPG.4f7046abef7b6c467c9da3c9aa19fc05.JPG

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Considering the XT6 starts at $52,695, Aviator starts at $51,100, give me the Aviator all day. 3.0TT over that mediocre 3.6. 

The Grand Cherokee L supposedly is going to start right around 40k, which seems low but we also only have seen high end models.

2020-lincoln-aviator.thumb.jpg.6c52a3436e34641e135fd9ba53912f7f.jpg

I certainly want to see this color, Wilder Metallic, on a vehicle and not just the "build and price". I can't seem to find a "real" picture of one.

1850724124_WilderMetallic.JPG.4f7046abef7b6c467c9da3c9aa19fc05.JPG

Same. The XT6 is absolute garbage and while I'm not a huge fan of the Aviator on the outside, it shames the XT6 on the inside and on powertrain options. 

• Agree 1

@ccap41 I like that color Wilder Metallic in Sport mode which actually makes this auto look much better to me, but at $74,000, WOW for what they have as an interior and the blah exterior.

image.png

I did find one that is at a dealer a little over 1000 miles away. Sad part is the person who took the actual photos took them in the shade so it does not show off the actual color. :( 

2021 Cadillac XT6 | Vehicle Listing Details | Vehicle Locator

25 minutes ago, David said:

@ccap41 I like that color Wilder Metallic in Sport mode which actually makes this auto look much better to me, but at $74,000, WOW for what they have as an interior and the blah exterior.

image.png

I did find one that is at a dealer a little over 1000 miles away. Sad part is the person who took the actual photos took them in the shade so it does not show off the actual color. :( 

2021 Cadillac XT6 | Vehicle Listing Details | Vehicle Locator

Zero possibility I would take this over a GV80 or Aviator and the GV80 starts at $48,900 with AWD but I wouldn't prefer a 2.5T in a vehicle of this size. The 3.5T starts at $59,150.

And that link didn't take me to a dealer website, it was just a dealer locator. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Zero possibility I would take this over a GV80 or Aviator and the GV80 starts at $48,900 with AWD but I wouldn't prefer a 2.5T in a vehicle of this size. The 3.5T starts at $59,150.

And that link didn't take me to a dealer website, it was just a dealer locator. 

Sorry about that, I thought I had copied it when looking at the wilder metallic color. Seems a few are out there but everyone seems to take a picture in the shade or a rainy day, so no good picture of what this color really looks like.

Agree that the others you state I think still have options that make this Cadillac a hard sale.

1 hour ago, David said:

Sorry about that, I thought I had copied it when looking at the wilder metallic color. Seems a few are out there but everyone seems to take a picture in the shade or a rainy day, so no good picture of what this color really looks like.

Agree that the others you state I think still have options that make this Cadillac a hard sale.

I'd take a loaded Telluride over the XT6. Thats how far down the list the XT6 would be for me, to the point that it's not even a consideration. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I'd take a loaded Telluride over the XT6. Thats how far down the list the XT6 would be for me, to the point that it's not even a consideration. 

Personally, I think Telluride is ugly, it might be a good family crossover but I think it is overhyped.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ykX said:

Personally, I think Telluride is ugly, it might be a good family crossover but I think it is overhyped.

Not exactly a fan myself but it's far better, in loaded trim, than the XT6. I just used it as an example of how much I dislike the XT6.