Sign in to follow this  
Guest YellowJacket894

Pontiac Still Will Sell Front-Drive Cars

47 posts in this topic

Guest YellowJacket894   
Guest YellowJacket894

Pontiac Spokesman Denies All Rear-Drive Future

Full Article At Ward's Auto

(An excerpt from a recent article at Ward's Auto states...)

"A spokesman downplays a recent media report suggesting Pontiac is mulling a plan to sell rear-wheel-drive vehicles exclusively. While Pontiac will look to add some RWD vehicles to help bolster its lineup, the division has no plans to abandon front-wheel drive, he says."

Edited by YellowJacket894

A volume FWD car makes sense since it would be cheaper to build and buy. I hope AWD is an option on it.

Clownzilla    0

A volume FWD car makes sense since it would be cheaper to build and buy. I hope AWD is an option on it.

I think that AWD needs to be an option on all the vehicles they build. Anyone think that this plan would be cost effective (and help sell more vehicles)? Kind of like an American Subaru (optional).

Cadillacfan    0

I think this is a mistake. Really, an all RWD lineup would give Pontiac an edge over other brands in it's price bracket. Though, I'm sure an all RWD lineup would hurt Pontiac's sales in the colder climates which could explain why they will only have a few RWD models.

red    0

...of course not, because management will continue to cave in to dealers and give them any brand-sapping rebadge they want.

PurdueGuy    72

I think an all RWD lineup would make TOO much sense for Pontiac. It would immidiately create their nitch in the market and reinforce their image as a performance brand. I could see a base FWD car, though. Realistically, it probably won't happen, as has been said.

Bimmer325    18

Yeah, Pontiac shouldn't neglect the growing segment of hot I4 FWD/AWD cars like the RSX, GTI, SRT-4, EVO, and WRX.

If it means exploring a segment that NO ONE has touched, then why not?

Maybe it's time for GM to take a risk and actually create a trend.

Exploring uncharted market territory can be a fruitful thing, and if the prospect of compact, affordable rear-drive doesn't appeal to you, I'm not sure I can convince you otherwise. :wink:

ocnblu    777
(In response to article) Blah, whatever... :rolleyes:

hyperv6    774

Yeah, Pontiac shouldn't neglect the growing segment of hot I4 FWD/AWD cars like the RSX, GTI, SRT-4, EVO, and WRX.

If Pontiac is to make it it needs to address cars like these and not with G6's and G5's. These are good cars but not great cars and can be bought cheaper as a Chevy.

If Pontiac was to live GM needs to let them be more than a fancy Chevy and beat the real compitition.

If they are going to charge 25-30K they need to off more than what they have been. Good is no longer Good enough.

titan    0

I figured the "All RWD" talk was just rumors. It would of made no sense for Pontiac. They just need a few better executed products.

Agreed. There are many, many FWD midsizers people consider sporty and fun to drive. The G6 in particular should be FWD, but handle better and not be an Epsilon with a different face. Pontiacs should actually be engineered to be sporty cars.

jbartley    0

There is nothing wrong with a FWD G5/G6.

like mazda and audi, sporty can be FWD.

just the larger vehicles and coupes/roadsters should be true RWD

evok    0

I wouldn't close the book on this one yet.

I would - Pontiac may ultimatly get some rwd vehicles but I would not count on the majority of volume for the brand coming from rwd anytime SOON.

Camino LS6    866

I would - Pontiac may ultimatly get some rwd vehicles but I would not count on the majority of volume for the brand coming from rwd anytime SOON.

Soon is relative. Any shift to an all RWD lineup would take years, even if the decision was made today. That doesn't make the idea a bad one. If this were to happen the overlap of FWD and RWD (with AWD as a wild card) would exist for some time - as it should. An all RWD lineup really makes sense for Pontiac for so many reasons expressed in other threads on this topic. I wouldn't advocate an all RWD plan for any other car division (except perhaps Caddy), but for Pontiac, It is an idea that is too logical too ignore. It gives Pontiac a reason to be.

evok    0

Soon is relative. Any shift to an all RWD lineup would take years, even if the decision was made today. That doesn't make the idea a bad one. If this were to happen the overlap of FWD and RWD (with AWD as a wild card) would exist for some time - as it should. An all RWD lineup really makes sense for Pontiac for so many reasons expressed in other threads on this topic. I wouldn't advocate an all RWD plan for any other car division (except perhaps Caddy), but for Pontiac, It is an idea that is too logical too ignore. It gives Pontiac a reason to be.

Soon I would define as the next product cycle release + 5 years. And that is in a perfect world.

No one is debating the idea. It would surely give focus to the brand but that is no guarantee for success in the market, paritculary given the investment required.

FUTURE_OF_GM    26

Why not advance the G6 into something more of a Mazda 6/Mitsu Lancer fighter?!?!?

Why not a super powerful AWD flagship?!?!?!

I don't care if Pontiac sells FWD, that's fine because THAT's where the volume is... BUT, this delusional thinking that a reskinned 'Bu is something to pin "Performance Division" on is not going to cut it.

Camino LS6    866

Soon I would define as the next product cycle release + 5 years.  And that is in a perfect world.

No one is debating the idea.  It would surely give focus to the brand but that is no guarantee for success in the market, paritculary given the investment required.

I would agree that the timing you indicate is likely accurate to within a year or two to complete such a changeover. My guess is that it would be an evolutionary process with re-evaluation each year.

Some have debated the merits of the idea in this thread. Given the time it would require, I see a move in this direction as a win-win for Pontiac. They could push this idea forward one model at a time at a speed that the shifting market and their own reputation will allow.

evok    0

I would agree that the timing you indicate is likely accurate to within a year or two to complete such a changeover. My guess is that it would be an evolutionary process with re-evaluation each year.

Some have debated the merits of the idea in this thread. Given the time it would require, I see a move in this direction as a win-win for Pontiac. They could push this idea forward one model at a time at a speed that the shifting market and their own reputation will allow.

There just are no plans to move the volume product to rwd in the time period I mentioned. After that, 2015 or so is a long time and a lot can happen.

Closest in the next 4 years would be zeta and that will not be high volume??

The reality is except for the Solstice, Pontiac for 2007 is an all FWD (with a couple AWDs) brand...I don't see that changing in the next few years...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this