What should the big Pontiac be?

What should Pontiac build for its big car?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What should Pontiac build for its big car?

• Grand Prix, low-slung like a CLS or Quattroporte
    • Bonneville, slightly more upright like an A8
    • Bonneville, tall and thick like an LS430 or Charger
    • Something sized like an E-class or M45, named after old mid-size Ponchos
    • Doesn't matter what the sedan is called, as long as a GTO coupe is its companion
    • A Caprice-like BOF retro-cruiser
    • Other

I've been saying for a while now that there should be a new personal-feeling Grand Prix, with suicide doors and a CLS-like profile, and that it can be built on a stretched Epsilon intermediate platform or whatever the hell the big platform will be named. The upright stuff, IMO, should be left to Buick, even if it had the same engine. I've also figured that the car, if one wanted it to stay a more upright true five-adult-seater, could bring about the feel of an Audi S8, and get the Bonneville moniker (maybe Catalina could be the base model). This would have to be on the big chassis. Many have weighed in with speculation or thoughts that Pontiac will build a standard four-door sedan to compete with the Charger, and that a stand-alone GTO coupe will be part of that group. I personally don't think the GTO should be a big car, but moved to the intermediate group. Regardless, there shouldn't be a V-6 of any kind coming anywhere near this car. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Well... I was thinking Grand Prix, but that choice includes CLS and Quattroporte like...Both of which I think are hideous and hate their profiles. If being low-slung means being like them, I think I'll pass on that. Ugh. And I'd prefer it to be either a coupe or a sedan. None of this inbetween-suicide-door crap.

I've been saying for a while now that there should be a new personal-feeling Grand Prix, with suicide doors and a CLS-like profile, and that it can be built on a stretched Epsilon intermediate platform or whatever the hell the big platform will be named.  The upright stuff, IMO, should be left to Buick, even if it had the same engine.

I've also figured that the car, if one wanted it to stay a more upright true five-adult-seater, could bring about the feel of an Audi S8, and get the Bonneville moniker (maybe Catalina could be the base model).  This would have to be on the big chassis.

Many have weighed in with speculation or thoughts that Pontiac will build a standard four-door sedan to compete with the Charger, and that a stand-alone GTO coupe will be part of that group.  I personally don't think the GTO should be a big car, but moved to the intermediate group.

Regardless, there shouldn't be a V-6 of any kind coming anywhere near this car.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

[post="11150"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Amen brother!! :CG_all: Edited by honest trev

How about "Catalina"

Kinda soft sounding, but kinda cool too.

(For those of you that don't know Catalina was a name for larger Pontiacs of yore)

[post="11337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, officially from 1959-81, and dating back to 1950 for a 2-door hardtop coupe body style. I voted Bonneville though, and since that is and was largely better-known, that's what I would pick. I'd want the CLS+Quattroporte styling, but merged onto a Caprice BOF-L architecture. I'd call my mid-size sport-luxury coupe Grand Prix, GTO as is, maybe detuned in base form with a few bits of equipment taken out, and LeMans as Pontiac's mainstream mid-size car, all based on a BOF platform. LeMans and GTO would seat up to 6 (9 on Bonneville Grand Safari-LeMans would be a short-tail SportSafari with no third seat), while GTO, Grand Prix, above-SJ trim LeMans and SSE-up Bonneville's would seat 5, with rear buckets optional on GTO and Grand Prix, maybe Bonneville.

Yes, officially from 1959-81, and dating back to 1950 for a 2-door hardtop coupe body style. I voted Bonneville though, and since that is and was largely better-known, that's what I would pick. I'd want the CLS+Quattroporte styling, but merged onto a Caprice BOF-L architecture. I'd call my mid-size sport-luxury coupe Grand Prix, GTO as is, maybe detuned in base form with a few bits of equipment taken out, and LeMans as Pontiac's mainstream mid-size car, all based on a BOF platform. LeMans and GTO would seat up to 6 (9 on Bonneville Grand Safari-LeMans would be a short-tail SportSafari with no third seat), while GTO, Grand Prix, above-SJ trim LeMans and SSE-up Bonneville's would seat 5, with rear buckets optional on GTO and Grand Prix, maybe Bonneville.

[post="14165"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you being sarcastic?

IF we want these cars to have independent suspension (which they should), why the hell would they be BOF cars?

A front bench in a GP or GTO?

A BOF intermediate in this millenium?

These aren't gonna be police-package vehicles, man...

And SJ trim? What is this, 1976?

All that aside, I could see Pontiac lining up a big wagon (since Dodge has one with the Magnum)...maybe that should be the Catalina.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is an idea. Take the Montana, and drasticaly lower to roof line. Take off the sliding doors, and put in four normal doors. Take out the back row of seats. Juice up the engine (turbo, supercharger, new engine or whatever would work). Put on a more suitible suspension. Put in a nicer interior, bigger wheels, and a spoiler. What you have here is something like a Dodge Magnum..............but more like a street cruiser. Somebody needs to photoshop one of these. Keep the sliding doors if you would like to. This project could be what makes GM different than the rest of the other bold designs out there. Anyone remember the Pontiac Thunder (I think) concept?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I was tempted to Vote: "A Caprice-like BOF retro-cruiser" but went with the first Bonneville choice.

1. Take the last Cadillac Deville

[post="41677"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Do you mean the one that is now simply the DTS with the new front and rear ends?

And I like I said on the last board, who would buy a 2007 Star Chief?

Pontiac, IMO, permanently shelved the "Indian" influences when they first decided to be the Excitement Division in the 60s.

Also, were you saying all that expecting the car to be front-drive? Or do you just feel they should make a car that big?

• 1 month later...
It should be a Bonneville derivative...a little bit smaller. Certainly not as garish in the dashboard department. It should not be as low slung as a GP (look at all the reviews that criticize the usable space issue) nor as thick as a Charger or Chrysler 300 - where's that barf icon when you need it? Just a larger sport sedan with timeless fluid lines that distinguishes itself from the GP and shows that the Bonneville has grown up. If you want a name, that's another story. Have fun at the Auto Show! Wish I could make it.

BONNEVILLE!

The first production Bonneville started in 1957 and the name was continuously used until some moron recently killed it!

I'd type in the "30 Years of Pontiac's Bonneville" from the Dec 1986 issue of Collectible Automobile, but it's pretty long...

Bonneville. No more alphanumeric crap. And if the Grand Prix were to be the flasgship, it seems like there should be another model of some sort, but that would conflict with GM's current plan of having only Chevrolet and Cadillac (right?) with full model lineups. The Pontiac flagship should be classy and sophisticated without being too pricey, and have an aggressive rake to the styling that isn't so extreme so as to intrude upon interior space. It should be rear-drive and powered exclusively by V8's.