Flybrian

Aurora Oldsmoborealis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,050 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

SPY SHOTS! 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP
A C&G Exclusive!

Cheers and Gears has paid for the rights to use these photos. Please link to the URL OF THIS TOPIC AND NOT HOTLINK OR REHOST THE IMAGES if you wish to share! Thank you!
Posted Image
Cheers and Gears has paid for the rights to use these photos. Please link to the URL OF THIS TOPIC AND NOT HOTLINK OR REHOST THE IMAGES if you wish to share! Thank you!

Pontiac injects a bit more soul into the respectable Torrent crossover with a new performance trim bowing next year.

From the photos, it can be seen that the exterior bodywork remains largely the same with clear differences being added intakes on the lower fascia and new, presumably more aggressive grille inserts. New large wheels are evident as well as chromed exterior door handles. Unseen in this perspective, the rear of the Torrent has been reworked to accommodate dual exhaust tips, which will likely be chrome-tipped. A keen observer will notice the Torrent's lowered ride height, another nod to the performance trim.

Inside, expect this Pontiac to remain largely unchanged.

Mechanically, expect GM's 'high-feature' 3.6l V6 putting out 275hp. A mating to a 5-speed automatic is most likely to round out the powertrain refinements.

Production is expected to begin in July of 2007 for the 2008 model year carrying either the GT or GXP trim designation. Expect the first public look at either the Chicago or New York Auto Show, although an early showing by either this or the Equinox SS at Detroit is not out of the question.

Special thanks to Chris Doane for the photography and information!

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,654 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

so... it's a torrent with a 275hp 3.6....

Gizhost

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

so... it's a torrent with a 275hp 3.6....

View Post

GM should have used the modified RWD Theta platform that the Grand Vitara uses. Then the Torrent really could have been a performance SUV. They could have introduced a lighter RWD Torrent with that kind of power and an optional AWD model. I don't know why GM didn't wait for Suzuki to convert Theta to RWD before they introduced the Torrent...I can understand the Equinox because the Grand Vitara probably hadn't even been thought of yet.

ShadowDog

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

GM should have used the modified RWD Theta platform that the Grand Vitara uses. Then the Torrent really could have been a performance SUV. They could have introduced a lighter RWD Torrent with that kind of power and an optional AWD model. I don't know why GM didn't wait for Suzuki to convert Theta to RWD before they introduced the Torrent...I can understand the Equinox because the Grand Vitara probably hadn't even been thought of yet.

View Post

...would have? Don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

I don't know why they would even bother.

Edited by ShadowDog, 11 November 2006 - 09:54 PM.

Variance

Denali Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

Wow, it really can't be a good sign if seemingly very few people give a damn about it. Though I must say, that includes me. A powerful V6 in a Torrent and I really don't care. Maybe because it's pretty much the kind of engine the Torrent (and Equinox) should've had available from the beginning? Maybe because the Torrent never thrilled me in any aspect from the moment it was launched? I don't know but I just don't care about it at all.

blackviper8891

Schwarze Schafe

• Editor/Reporter
  • 12,050 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:19 PM

View Post

If the Grand Vitara used a modified RWD Theta platform, which it doesn't...

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:26 PM

If the Grand Vitara used a modified RWD Theta platform, which it doesn't...

View Post

Yes and no. Suzuki worked on the Theta.

The Grand Vitara does have a few similar mechanics as the Theta, but it is RWD...

blackviper8891

Schwarze Schafe

• Editor/Reporter
  • 12,050 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

Yes and no. Suzuki worked on the Theta.

The Grand Vitara does have a few similar mechanics as the Theta, but it is RWD...

View Post

It just uses some Theta components... like the suspension. It is still a unique platform from Theta.

ToniCipriani

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

Please, please, not a GXP. A GXP needs to be much more powerful than that.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:46 PM

I don't want to argue, but I'm pretty sure that the current Grand Vitara is RWD. Now the new XL-7 is a Theta.

Edited by Captainbooyah, 11 November 2006 - 10:47 PM.

Bizz

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

at least it doesnt have the cameltoe grille the GP GXP does.

DetroitNut90

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:51 PM

Personally, I'd call it the Torrent 3.6L. The HFV6 is a welcome addition.

mjd1001

Stock Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

View Post

I am actually looking forward to this and the Equinox SS. I don't care if they call it a GXP, SS, anyting else, or nothing. I simply would like a small to mid sized car based SUV with pretty good performance....and don't want to go for the Toyota Rav4 right now.

We'd actually lean a bit more toward the styling of the Equinoxx over this...but in all honesty our next car will probably be one of those or maybe the new redesigned Vue.

mjd1001

Stock Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

also notice that the equinox ss spy shot doesn't have the roof rails....neither does the production Trailblazer SS, nor does the Saturn Vue Redline.....yet the Pontiac does. I was under the impression that the "GXP" and "SS" versions of Suv's were going to go without the roof rails.

Bimmer325

OSV Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

View Post

Agreed. The 269 horsepower RAV4 V6 is simply a 269 horsepower RAV4 V6.

As ridiculous as this might sound, calling it what it is (Torrent 3.6) would probably allow it to garner more positive reviews. "GXP" sets the bar too high for expectations.

jbartley

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

i agree, "GXP" puts the bar really high, for it only not to meet expectations. I do like the engine and grille changes. Is it going to be on the FWD or AWD models?

Edited by jbartley, 11 November 2006 - 11:19 PM.

Northstar

Be afraid of Jake. Very, very afaid.

• Members
  • 15,304 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:06 AM

This is the engine that should be standard in the Torrent. If they want a GXP, it needs to have 300+HP.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,278 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:50 AM

Shoot, we've all cried about the supposed wimpy Chinese V6 in the current Torrent/Equi, but in the real world, it feels plenty adequate. This thing will have 95 hp more than the current version, with much more torque. Why must we sell it short already?

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 29,654 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

Torrent + 300hp = a lot of people rolling them

avant1963

IMAGINE

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

The 269 horsepower RAV4 V6 is simply a 269 horsepower RAV4 V6.

Well, all Toyota has is the TuRD name, and the least amount of models that get called that is probably a good thing.

Back on topic, the base engine should be something more than the current boat anchor. I have no problem with the GXP name for this engine, as long as the truck gets a whole host of suspension changes also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users