Jump to content
  • William Maley
    William Maley

    Mid-Engine Corvette Reportedly Not Appearing In Detroit

      It would have been nice for the Corvette to appear at Detroit, but that's not happening

    If you were hoping that Chevrolet would bring the house down next month with the debut of the mid-engine Corvette at the Detroit Auto Show, we have some bad news for you.

    GM Authority has learned from GM that Chevrolet isn't planning to show anything car or crossover related at the show. Motor Authority was able to confirm this report by speaking to sources who know GM's plans for future vehicles. It is expected that the Cadillac XT6 crossover will debut at the show.

    Rumor has it that GM could debut the mid-engine Corvette at the New York Auto Show - the original 1953 Corvette debuted at the Motorama event that year in New York - or hold its own event to have the media focus on the new model and nothing else. The latter option seems the most likely to us.

    We'll keep you posted if anything changes.

    Source: GM Authority, Motor Authority

    Edited by William Maley



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Maybe a Family of Mid engine Corvette auto's? ;) 

    Maybe they are planning to shelve the Ice version and go all EV! :P 

    • Upvote 1
    • Downvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Instead of a low volume niche mid engined model, they probably should have done a high performance crossover.  Something to compete w/ the Cayenne.  

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    Instead of a low volume niche mid engined model, they probably should have done a high performance crossover.  Something to compete w/ the Cayenne.  

    It cannot be named Corvette.  Now a Cadillac that competes with the Cayenne is a great idea.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

    It cannot be named Corvette.  Now a Cadillac that competes with the Cayenne is a great idea.

    No reason it couldn't be named Corvette.  Porsche has sports cars and SUVs.  i like the idea of a family of Corvette models--front engine sports car like the C7,   mid engine sports car like the C8, a performance SUV, maybe a EV sports car, maybe a hypercar.   And within VWAG, Porsche coexists w/ Audi and higher brands.    Corvette could be relative to Cadillac how Porsche is to Audi.

    The idea of a multi-model Corvette line is an old one, I remember seeing the idea proposed in Car & Driver maybe 20 years ago. 

    Edited by Robert Hall
    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    59 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    No reason it couldn't be named Corvette.  Porsche has sports cars and SUVs.  i like the idea of a family of Corvette models--front engine sports car like the C7,   mid engine sports car like the C8, a performance SUV, maybe a EV sports car, maybe a hypercar.   And within VWAG, Porsche coexists w/ Audi and higher brands.    Corvette could be relative to Cadillac how Porsche is to Audi.

    The idea of a multi-model Corvette line is an old one, I remember seeing the idea proposed in Car & Driver maybe 20 years ago. 

    Multiple lines of Corvette was there as a concept from the beginning. It was nearly its own brand of cars inside the Chevy brand.

    • Like 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Chevy dealers would never allow a Corvette brand to happen, because it would mean they lose the Corvette and that "Corvette" brand would then get pushed to the Cadillac dealer channel.  I can't see them doing stand alone Corvette dealers.

    The Detroit auto show has also lost a lot of luster, so I think they'll put this car out at another time.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    30 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Corvette can be a sub-brand inside Chevy.

    Because Chevy dealers are equipped to provide a sales and service experience similar to Porsche dealers?

    Although you could argue that all 4 GM brands should offer a dealership experience to rival Porsche, customer service doesn't really need to be reserved for just a luxury brand. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    Because Chevy dealers are equipped to provide a sales and service experience similar to Porsche dealers?

    Although you could argue that all 4 GM brands should offer a dealership experience to rival Porsche, customer service doesn't really need to be reserved for just a luxury brand. 

    There are Chevy dealers that get special treatment based on the number of Corvettes they sell... or the number of Silverados they sell.  A Corvette sub-brand "boutique"* inside of certain dealers would work. That's how Genesis launched.

     

    *I hate that word in regards to buying cars. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The Genesis launch has also been a total botch job by Hyundai.   

    I don’t see the crowd that is considering a Porsche, AMG or Alfa Romeo/Maserati walking into a Chevy dealer to check out a Corvette sedan or Corvette SUV.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    The Genesis launch has also been a total botch job by Hyundai.   

    I don’t see the crowd that is considering a Porsche, AMG or Alfa Romeo/Maserati walking into a Chevy dealer to check out a Corvette sedan or Corvette SUV.  

    If the product is good enough, they will come.  But it isn't happening anyway. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Having a 'Corvette SUV' is EXACTLY like having a '911 SUV'.
    As much as people may espouse the 'brand within a brand' ideal, it's not viable or sensible, IMO.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Said it before and I'll say it again.. having both of these brands.. er.. all three.. U see the differences. Cadillac dealer is all accommodating.. Chevy dealer is not. Only when I go in with a $60-$100K Corvette do they roll out Orange carpet. That is inconsistent with the fact that one can now purchase $80K Camaros and Tahoe/Suburbans/Silverados from the place.. but hey.. Chevy is the Every man brand at GM the same as Ford, Toyota, Honda are.

    Again.. the Corvette should be a separate brand in a partitioned off dealership spot at Chevy or CADILLAC if enthusiasts aren't allowed to make the decision. If Enthusiasts have to have Corvette at Chevy.. then partition it off..  and treat them with the same love one gets at Cadillac. Corvettes are not cheap. They are a vehicle selling for $60K to a soon to be $150K. This is about $5-7K less than your Porsche line-up unless U get into the E-Hybrid models.. Which GM should be gearing up to do. People want to say that "No one will spend $150K on a Vette..." FUUCK outta here. They can and THEY WILL.

    I have to constantly remind people.. some of my colleagues have Porsches. Its THEIR ONLY car, even the 911 and the Cayman/Boxster owners. Some might have a beater that is 10 years old.

    Vette owners very seldom have just a Vette as their DD. Most that I know also own a Silverado/Sierra, Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade or something else as a daily. Normally they are no more than 5 years old if that. I don't even drive my Vette or V in the rain or when it looks like its gonna rain cause I don't want to get it dirty. Many who own a Vette as a toy have the same mind set. Meaning.. THEY HAVE MONEY. They needed to be catered to just like the cats at Caddy.. which ironically sells at the same price point as CORVETTE. My Z06 retailed for the exact same as my CTS-V. Bet good money that the CT6-V comes in priced like a ZR1, which will still be less expensive than a B7 Alpina by about $17K

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Corvette is not a brand though it is a model.  I don’t see any calls for an Escalde brand with sports coupes and sedans.  Porsche was always a brand with multiple models.  

    I question why Cadillac isn’t getting this mid engine super car, or performance SUVs or the stuff you need to challenge Porsche, Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari or whoever you want to throw in there.  Cadillac is GM’s top brand (or at least it is supposed to be).  Cadillac should have the super cars, hyper cars, Tesla Model S fighter, Bentley Bentayga or Aston Martin SUV fighter etc.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    I question why Cadillac isn’t getting this mid engine super car...

    I've read elsewhere that it may, in fact, be happening. Let's see.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    25 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    Corvette is not a brand though it is a model.  I don’t see any calls for an Escalde brand with sports coupes and sedans.  Porsche was always a brand with multiple models.  

    I question why Cadillac isn’t getting this mid engine super car, or performance SUVs or the stuff you need to challenge Porsche, Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari or whoever you want to throw in there.  Cadillac is GM’s top brand (or at least it is supposed to be).  Cadillac should have the super cars, hyper cars, Tesla Model S fighter, Bentley Bentayga or Aston Martin SUV fighter etc.  

    Corvette, over the last 10 years, has had as many models as Porsche ever did in the pre-Cayenne days. REGARDLESS... we have a Stingray, GS, Z06, and ZR1 currently.. this MID-Engine will essentially give us 4 different body styles.. as the only two body styles currently identical are the GS and Z06. So why not make it a Sub-Brand somewhat autonomous? 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    Corvette, over the last 10 years, has had as many models as Porsche ever did in the pre-Cayenne days. REGARDLESS... we have a Stingray, GS, Z06, and ZR1 currently.. this MID-Engine will essentially give us 4 different body styles.. as the only two body styles currently identical are the GS and Z06. So why not make it a Sub-Brand somewhat autonomous? 

    Those are all trim levels aside from the mid-engine car that we haven’t seen the final deal yet.  Porsche currently makes 23 models of the 911, I just counted them on their website.  Before the Cayenne Porsche had the 944 the 928, 968, 959, etc, they always had several cars other than maybe in the 60s or 70s. 

    For Corvette to be a brand they would need at least 2 SUVs and what platform would those go on?  They would need an entry level sports car, and a sedan or Panamera/AMG GT sedan fighter to go with the current Corvette and the mid-engine car.  All of those would be slotted above Cadillac yet sold at Chevy dealers?   Good luck trying to sell an Equinox sized Corvette SUV at a Chevy dealer for $75,000 which Cadillac dealers are charging $40k for a crossover of that same size.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

    Those are all trim levels aside from the mid-engine car that we haven’t seen the final deal yet.  Porsche currently makes 23 models of the 911, I just counted them on their website.  Before the Cayenne Porsche had the 944 the 928, 968, 959, etc, they always had several cars other than maybe in the 60s or 70s. 

    For Corvette to be a brand they would need at least 2 SUVs and what platform would those go on?  They would need an entry level sports car, and a sedan or Panamera/AMG GT sedan fighter to go with the current Corvette and the mid-engine car.  All of those would be slotted above Cadillac yet sold at Chevy dealers?   Good luck trying to sell an Equinox sized Corvette SUV at a Chevy dealer for $75,000 which Cadillac dealers are charging $40k for a crossover of that same size.

    So by that U are saying that before the Cayenne.. Porsche was NOT a brand. hmmmm END OF DISCUSSION.. Go back to Germany KrautBoy

    • Haha 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 12/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, dfelt said:

    Maybe a Family of Mid engine Corvette auto's? ;) 

    Maybe they are planning to shelve the Ice version and go all EV! :P 

    Doubtful. 

    • Haha 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    So by that U are saying that before the Cayenne.. Porsche was NOT a brand. hmmmm END OF DISCUSSION.. Go back to Germany KrautBoy

    That is the opposite of what I was saying.  Porsche has always been a brand, they had the 911, 944/968 and 928 all in production at the same time.  For most of their history that hav had 3-4 different vehicles in their line, it has just grown now with 6.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    That is the opposite of what I was saying.  Porsche has always been a brand, they had the 911, 944/968 and 928 all in production at the same time.  For most of their history that hav had 3-4 different vehicles in their line, it has just grown now with 6.

    Yes, Porsche has always been a brand--whether an independent company or owned by VWAG as they are now.  No one sane would argue that.   On the other hand, Corvette is a model with different trim levels within the Chevrolet brand.  That is the distinction.  

    At some points in time Porsche had only one street model--like in the 356 era, but after the 911 came out, they had periods of time with only 2 street models--like in the late 60s with the 911 and 912, the early 70s with the 911 and 914, the late 90s with the 911 and Boxster.  And of course many trim levels within those models.   Like the modern 911 which often has 20-24 trim levels in any particular year--in comparison to the Corvette which has 4 currently (base, Z06, GS, ZR-1?)

    Edited by Robert Hall
    • Like 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    That is the opposite of what I was saying.  Porsche has always been a brand, they had the 911, 944/968 and 928 all in production at the same time.  For most of their history that hav had 3-4 different vehicles in their line, it has just grown now with 6.

    Look slim.. I'm American unlike U and still know Porsche's history due to racing.. but I don't sip the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier flavored water the way U do.. 

    Your rational... as I have explained.. the Corvette sub-division CURRENTLY has 4 distinct Corvettes under its umbrella. The Stingray, which has trims as well, different engine and transmission tuning, and price point. The GS.. also different trims, same engine, but distinct body and suspension tuning, and price point. The Z06.. different trims, different racing apparatus, different drivetrains, suspension tuning, unique body, and and price point. And the ZR1.. different trims, different racing apparatus, different drivetrains, suspension tuning, unique body, and and price point. Chevy doesn't say it.. but that my young knabe.. is a BRANDED vehicle. Not to mention that many people who are not enthusiasts think that CORVETTE is an independent vehicle similar to Porsche and Ferrari. THIS IS FACT.  If Chevy were to continue with the FE Corvette, while still offering the ME design.. its a done deal.. and we will have a genuine 4th American GM Division. I also point out that for all intents.... the Camaro has been primed to take over the head job at Chevy since the C5 debuted in 2010

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    Look slim.. I'm American unlike U and still know Porsche's history due to racing.. but I don't sip the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier flavored water the way U do.. 

    Your rational... as I have explained.. the Corvette sub-division CURRENTLY has 4 distinct Corvettes under its umbrella. The Stingray, which has trims as well, different engine and transmission tuning, and price point. The GS.. also different trims, same engine, but distinct body and suspension tuning, and price point. The Z06.. different trims, different racing apparatus, different drivetrains, suspension tuning, unique body, and and price point. And the ZR1.. different trims, different racing apparatus, different drivetrains, suspension tuning, unique body, and and price point. Chevy doesn't say it.. but that my young knabe.. is a BRANDED vehicle. Not to mention that many people who are not enthusiasts think that CORVETTE is an independent vehicle similar to Porsche and Ferrari. THIS IS FACT.  If Chevy were to continue with the FE Corvette, while still offering the ME design.. its a done deal.. and we will have a genuine 4th American GM Division. I also point out that for all intents.... the Camaro has been primed to take over the head job at Chevy since the C5 debuted in 2010

    Stringray, GS, Z06 and ZR1 in coupe and convertible is 8 models.  The 911 has 23 models.

    My point is Corvette is not a brand.  If they want to make Corvette a full line brand with an entry level sports car like the Cayman/Boxster/718, the current Vette, the mid-engine Vette, 2 SUVs and 1 sedan, then I am all for that.  But you can't sell that all at a Chevy dealer and compete with Porsche or Aston Martin.  And I know GM won't spend the money to make a whole new brand and dealership channel after they just killed about 5 brands 10 years ago.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Similar Content

    • By Drew Dowdell
      Honda debuted the 2020 Honda CR-V today with a lightly refreshed exterior, but with a big announcement under the hood.  This is the first time Honda  will be offering the CR-V with a Hybrid Powertrain.  There are some other powertrain changes as well.
      Starting with the Hybrid, the system is a two motor hybrid that combines electric power with gasoline propulsion from a 2.0 liter DOHC engine. This engine boasts a thermal efficiency over 40 percent, the highest of any mass-produced Honda engine.  Peak total system horsepower for the Hybrid is now 212, up from 190 on the standard gasoline model. This is the same powertrain found in the Accord Hybrid. It is also the first time Honda has offered AWD on a hybrid vehicle. In times of low traction, a clutch can engage an electric motor to the rear wheels to help with grip.  Hybrid models are equipped with Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System, a small speaker on the front of the car that makes a noise for passers by while the vehicle is traveling in electric only mode.
      Previously, base model CR-V LXes got a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder. Now for 2020, all non-hybrid CR-Vs will come with the 190 hp 1.5-liter turbo unit. No matter which mode of power you choose, power flows to the wheels through a CVT. 
      On the safety front, the CR-V now comes standard with Honda Sensing, a suite of sweet safety technologies that include Collision Mitigation Braking System, Road Departure Mitigation, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Lane Keep Assist. Additionally, as an option, are blind spot information, rear cross traffic monitor, and auto high beam headlights. 
      EPA figures will be released closer to launch, but Honda is forecasting a 50% increase in fuel economy over the non-hybrid models. Non-hybrid production begins this fall and hybrid production starts in early 2020. 
       

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Honda debuted the 2020 Honda CR-V today with a lightly refreshed exterior, but with a big announcement under the hood.  This is the first time Honda  will be offering the CR-V with a Hybrid Powertrain.  There are some other powertrain changes as well.
      Starting with the Hybrid, the system is a two motor hybrid that combines electric power with gasoline propulsion from a 2.0 liter DOHC engine. This engine boasts a thermal efficiency over 40 percent, the highest of any mass-produced Honda engine.  Peak total system horsepower for the Hybrid is now 212, up from 190 on the standard gasoline model. This is the same powertrain found in the Accord Hybrid. It is also the first time Honda has offered AWD on a hybrid vehicle. In times of low traction, a clutch can engage an electric motor to the rear wheels to help with grip.  Hybrid models are equipped with Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System, a small speaker on the front of the car that makes a noise for passers by while the vehicle is traveling in electric only mode.
      Previously, base model CR-V LXes got a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder. Now for 2020, all non-hybrid CR-Vs will come with the 190 hp 1.5-liter turbo unit. No matter which mode of power you choose, power flows to the wheels through a CVT. 
      On the safety front, the CR-V now comes standard with Honda Sensing, a suite of sweet safety technologies that include Collision Mitigation Braking System, Road Departure Mitigation, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Lane Keep Assist. Additionally, as an option, are blind spot information, rear cross traffic monitor, and auto high beam headlights. 
      EPA figures will be released closer to launch, but Honda is forecasting a 50% increase in fuel economy over the non-hybrid models. Non-hybrid production begins this fall and hybrid production starts in early 2020. 
       
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Chevrolet has canceled the Malibu Hybrid for the 2020 model year.  What? You forgot they even offered one?  It's not surprising. 
      It's tough out there for slow selling sedans these days and the Malibu Hybrid was probably one of the slowest selling of the General's current lineup. The move leaves GM with no full hybrid vehicles at all in the lineup. This comes after the cancellation of the plug-in Chevy Volt earlier this year. The only electrified vehicle, for now, is the diminutive Chevy Bolt. GM is rumored to be working hard on an electric or electrified truck, and has plans to electrify most of the Cadillac lineup, even going so far as to promise the UAW that the Lordstown plant would reopen as a battery factory. 
      The Malibu Hybrid used a 1.8 liter 4-cylinder and an electric motor combination to make 182 horsepower.  The sedan could drive on electric alone up to 55 mph, but it lacked a plug-in option.  It came only in the upper LT trim and started at $29,095 before delivery charges. 

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Chevrolet has canceled the Malibu Hybrid for the 2020 model year.  What? You forgot they even offered one?  It's not surprising. 
      It's tough out there for slow selling sedans these days and the Malibu Hybrid was probably one of the slowest selling of the General's current lineup. The move leaves GM with no full hybrid vehicles at all in the lineup. This comes after the cancellation of the plug-in Chevy Volt earlier this year. The only electrified vehicle, for now, is the diminutive Chevy Bolt. GM is rumored to be working hard on an electric or electrified truck, and has plans to electrify most of the Cadillac lineup, even going so far as to promise the UAW that the Lordstown plant would reopen as a battery factory. 
      The Malibu Hybrid used a 1.8 liter 4-cylinder and an electric motor combination to make 182 horsepower.  The sedan could drive on electric alone up to 55 mph, but it lacked a plug-in option.  It came only in the upper LT trim and started at $29,095 before delivery charges. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      General Motors is planing a range of updates for their full-size trucks starting in the 2021 model year, beginning with updated interiors. Also coming is a Silverado ZRX aimed to take on the likes of the Ford F-150 Raptor and the Ram 1500 Rebel.  The ZRX would come with an improved off-road suspension, special DSSV Dampers like on the Colorado ZR2, rear and front locking differentials, and improved approach and departure angles. 
      If Chevy uses the same recipe they did on the ZR2, the ZRX will likely also get unique front and rear fascias.  One thing that isn't changing though is the powertrain. It's rumored that the ZRX will continue to use the same 6.2 liter V8 with 420 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft of torque.  This is disappointing as the Raptor and Rebel TRX both get more powerful engines than their on-road counterparts. 
      If these plans come to fruition, expect the Silverado ZRX to come out in 2021 as a 2022 model. 

      View full article
  • Posts

    • ^^^ Clearing out the 2019s for the 2020s to arrive. 
    • I'd rather see what the car does at half throttle, but the manufacturers have already found a cheat for that. 
    • Nice! Super Cruise is awesome, tried it driving a CT6 Platinum I had for Cadillac's 24 hr. test drive. It's pretty accurate and a camera on top of the steering column watches your eyes too "see" if you're paying attention. With dark sunglasses on I tested it by looking at my passenger without moving my head and within 5 or 6 seconds it started beeping and flashing lights in the steering wheel and in the head-up display to alert me, so it saw the whites of my eyes through the sunglasses that's pretty badass really. Kinda like a backseat driver though haha! It stays in the lane really well and isn't jerky or slow to react or too fast to react if someone changes lanes in front of you and that was First Gen. SuperCruise early last year. Second Gen. SC for 2020 is suppose to be much more intelligent too. Pretty soon we'll be having conversations with our cars as we drive, something good to vent our frustrations to that doesn't get overemotional 😆
    • Got this cadillac marketing flyer in the mail today. Everything is 0% interest or some.serious cash on the hood on every model they sell. Wow, $11,000 off an Escalade. 
    • OK,  30 to 40 years ago the SOHC and DOHC were screaming Sewing machine engines with no go and sucked other than just a somewhat reliable nature in generic crappy compact auto's. They got a perception of reliable as they pushed service intervals out to 100,000 miles versus US OEMs stuck with stupid 30,000 mile intervals into the late 90's and sadly most auto owners are lazy with maintenance as such, US auto's would stop running when you failed to do the 30K tuneups and 3K oil changes. Plus most asian autos were manual everything where US was pushing electric everything. US auto's could survive a long life if people only followed the maintenance manual.  Sadly I doubt many on this forum have even read their own current owners manual. Being OCD, I have read everyone of my auto's I own and my 1994 GMC Suburban, the oldest car I own and bought new still out performs most current asian SUV/trucks. Take my GMC Suburban SLE over anything Asian or german that is sold today.  
  • Social Stream

  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • My Clubs

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...