Spied: 2008 Honda Pilot

Variance

Spied: 2008 Honda Pilot

Posted Image

Editor's Note: Yes, it's gotten uglier. You gotta hand it to Honda; they are consistent. Every one of their new SUVs has been uglier than the previous generation. The first impression I get from the spy pics is a new MDX/RDX rear end grafted onto a Ridgeline front end.

Read "Spy Photos: 2008 Honda Pilot" @ Edmunds

it looks like the new XL7 with a bulldyke front end.

wow, this thing looks nasty.

Hey CD, when Brenda takes a photo of a good lookin car, do you ever throw out a compliment like,

"Hey, that sure looks PRIDDY!"

*crickets*

I can't believe Honda is mucking up their styling so bad. Looks like the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave trio's life just got a little bit easier.......

Edited by regfootball

It's funny how many people don't read. To those who guessed it was a mule, you're correct. The rest of you need to go back and read the text.

according to our local spy shooters the rest of this prototype may be nothing more than an Acura MDX test mule. By grafting the Pilot's new nose onto the front end of an already existing prototype, Honda's engineers can test the effects of the new design on the cooling system without revealing the rest of the SUV's new look.

It is the MDX prototype, which I'm sure there have been spy shots posted of before, but with the prototype front end of the new Pilot grafted on and the drivetrain of the new Pilot. Notice how they are towing. They are most likely hot weather testing the design of the Pilots new grille and powerplant.

Edited by siegen

It's funny how many people don't read. To those who guessed it was a mule, you're correct. The rest of you need to go back and read the text.

It is the MDX prototype, which I'm sure there have been spy shots posted of before, but with the prototype front end of the new Pilot grafted on and the drivetrain of the new Pilot. Notice how they are towing. They are most likely hot weather testing the design of the Pilots new grille and powerplant.

180638[/snapback]

Right, so that is the new Pilot's front end and from what I can see, it doesn't look pretty.

Guest YellowJacket894

What Honda should do is take a page from their ATV styling. The Rincon looks great.

Posted Image

But, instead, what we get are a bunch of Japanese take-out boxes with "ugly" written on the front.

Honda ATVs = :thumbsup:

Honda SUVs = :thumbsdown:

You guys are rediculous. It is the front grafted onto the MDX, covered in duct tape. They weren't going for any beauty awards. The main thing they're concerned about are the grille and air inlets. The headlights probably aren't going to look like the Pilot's. Anybody who is trying to make a good judgment on the next Pilot's styling based on these photo's is :stupid:

Guest YellowJacket894

You guys are rediculous. It is the front grafted onto the MDX, covered in duct tape. They weren't going for any beauty awards. The main thing they're concerned about are the grille and air inlets. The headlights probably aren't going to look like the Pilot's. Anybody who is trying to make a good judgment on the next Pilot's styling based on these photo's is  :stupid:

180701[/snapback]

If you are referring to the post I made above yours, you missed the point. Honda SUVs, and their new cars in general, try to hard not to be bland and end up looking offensive. The new CR-V looks like a horse's ass. The current faceia on the Pilot looks disjointed compaired to the rest of the car. And the Element (a UPS truck with rear demi-doors) and Ridgeline (an mutated Avalanche with a trunk and front-biased all-wheel drive) are way up there on the offensive scale. The Civic looks like a hunchback beaver.

On the other hand, Honda does things just right with their ATV styling. Hell, if you ask me, the Honda ATVs are the best looking quads on the market (along with products from Bombardier/BRP/Can-Am). I have a 2001 Rancher ES and I'm considering installing the plastic from the recent model on it.

Honda has sporty roots, but they instead choose to ride on the wrong route. Looking at it, Honda is like Suzuki on a larger scale. Suzuki has roots in motorcycles and ATVs, like Honda, but yet nothing from those two sides of the company appear in any of the product. I think if Honda, or Suzuki for that matter, made their cars as sporty as their motorcycles and their SUVs as sporty as their ATVs, they would appeal to much wider range of enthusiasts. Instead, what we get are ugly, bland, and boring cars that appeal to people who think that everything else out there is as reliable as a Yugo.

The closest Honda has ever really come to making a car that appealed to a wide range of people was with the Prelude, NSX, and S2000. But the Prelude is a pretty overpriced car used and the S2000 and NSX are too damn expensive to start with. Not to mention the NSX was looking pretty lethargic by 2002 in face of more technological and/or cars offering high levels of power for cheap money like the 'Vette Z06.

Edited by YellowJacket894

If you are referring to the post I made above yours, you missed the point. Honda SUVs, and their new cars in general, try to hard not to be bland and end up looking offensive. The new CR-V looks like a horse's ass. The current faceia on the Pilot looks disjointed compaired to the rest of the car. And the Element (a UPS truck with rear demi-doors) and Ridgeline (an mutated Avalanche with a trunk and front-biased all-wheel drive) are way up there on the offensive scale. The Civic looks like a hunchback beaver.

On the other hand, Honda does things just right with their ATV styling. Hell, if you ask me, the Honda ATVs are the best looking quads on the market (along with products from Bombardier/BRP/Can-Am). I have a 2001 Rancher ES and I'm considering installing the plastic from the recent model on it.

Honda has sporty roots, but they instead choose to ride on the wrong route. Looking at it, Honda is like Suzuki on a larger scale. Suzuki has roots in motorcycles and ATVs, like Honda, but yet nothing from those two sides of the company appear in any of the product. I think if Honda, or Suzuki for that matter, made their cars as sporty as their motorcycles and their SUVs as sporty as their ATVs, they would appeal to much wider range of enthusiasts. Instead, what we get are ugly, bland, and boring cars that appeal to people who think that everything else out there is as reliable as a Yugo.

The closest Honda has ever really come to making a car that appealed to a wide range of people was with the Prelude, NSX, and S2000. But the Prelude is a pretty overpriced car used and the S2000 and NSX are too damn expensive to start with. Not to mention the NSX was looking pretty lethargic by 2002 in face of more technological and/or cars offering high levels of power for cheap money like the 'Vette Z06.

180758[/snapback]

I wasn't referring to your post exactly, just everyone else who is trying to judge the 2008 Pilot by this mule.

I think Honda's Pilot, CR-V and MDX are on the bland side actually, unoffensive, but well styled (nothing to make them stand out much). The Element is goofy looking though. But the new Element SC is very nice IMO, the head lights really make the front bumper look less.... disney.

At first I didn't like the Civic, but after seeing a lot more in person, both the Coupe and Sedan, it really is a nice looking car. People who like the traditional look (like the Cobalt), won't like it as much though.

has Honda EVER made a good looking car?

the NSX, maybe.  the first and second legend, maybe.  the last prelude, the exterior, maybe.

the current TL and TSX are not bad, but man, Honda has NEVER made a stunner.

180894[/snapback]

Lol. So what's your definition of a good looking car? A dump truck?

I'll wait for the final photos. I think the recent Pilot upgrade made it look less wussy and a little bit better, except the base models which look uber cheap, Chinese even. I like the headlight setup, though.

Yeesh...is it my imagination, or are Japanese cars as a whole getting uglier? (and yes, I realize it's a mule, but that's probably a near-production front end). even my much-maligned Aztek looks better than most of the stuff coming out of Japan these days, especially in SUV/Truck-land. (Let the flames begin).

The best-looking product Honda has ever churned out is the VTX motorcycle.

Looks better than the third-world-looking box we have now, but I can't say I'm still thrilled about it. The Taupe-like Amazon Green Metallic paint and vast cargo space are about all I like in the current model, hopefully this one will be better.

and yes, I realize it's a mule, but that's probably a near-production front end

I doubt it. But we'll see. The Grille is, but the headlights look extremely similar to the MDX prototype headlights, and they defintely look more Acura than Honda. I wouldn't be surprised if that is an MDX prototype with the prototype Grille from the Pilot grafted on and a few other modifications, but still retaining the MDX headlights.

whats this chip on the shoulder for honda?  theres so many great looking

and performing cars out there that dont start with an "h"

its not the end all be all of automodum...g-dd-mn i hope not.

181710[/snapback]

Honda's had one good looking car. Great? no, good? yes.

Posted Image

WOW, GREAT LOOKING CARS, 'CEPT I DIDN'T SEE ANY HONDAS!

181729[/snapback]

I think most new Hondas and Acuras are good looking. Not necessarily exciting, but good looking.

Here are some:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by siegen

• 3 weeks later...

In response to IP:

That has to be the most disgusting interior I've ever seen. :P

In response to non-Honda photo gallery:

I agree with a lot of those, but some do not qualify as "great-looking". Such as, the Jaguars. At this point, the Jag looks like a blinged out BMW 7.

In response to Honda photo gallery:

I have to admit I agree with many of those. However, I'm not a big fan of the dated NSX, and the Integra (dare I say it) doesn't strike me as all that great looking.

*ahem*

OK, so, yes. All of you commenting on the looks of this car....are...well....

...yea

It is an engineering mule folks. Know how much of this mule reflects the final design? Little to none. Most likely much closer to the "none" end of that scale.

191232[/snapback]

Exactly, and if anything, it's mostly just an MDX test mule, or at least the bigger part of one.

These kinds of mules often are a few different things cobbled together, and this is no different.

Yet we have a full on styling debate, including any number of random cars... ^_^

Edited by caddycruiser