LA Times rips into the LS460

mustang84

As much as the Lexus nameplate has become the default choice for the sensible careerist looking for a well-built, well-priced luxury car, the brand still ranks near zero Kelvin on the prestige thermometer.  You can cite all the ways Lexus is a great car -- best-selling luxury nameplate in the U.S. for six years running, perennially at the top of the J.D. Powers heap in initial quality, vehicle dependability, customer satisfaction and return business -- and I'll tell you that none of that matters.  Compared to luxury brands like Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, BMW, and Audi, Lexus has the emotional appeal of a public golf course.

Here any tidy explanation of the new LS runs out of oxygen, because a car that should have been an expressive and beautiful bit of dream-smithing isn't.  It's not a bad-looking sedan, and it does have the look of the L-finesse avatars, but the instant I laid eyes on it, I was disappointed.  Compared to the lyrical singspiel of Mercedes' CLS or the Audi A8, the LS is a dirge.  Actually, it kind of looks like a Toyota Avalon witih a post-graduate degree.

Yes, yes, a very nice robot.  A gifted colleague of mind asked the perfect question: Will there ever be a Lexus owners club?  Of course, the cars are splendid appliances.  But will they ever be cherished automobiles like those old-world marques BMW or Bentley?  Yes, they can park themselves.  But can they soar?

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automoti...6164,full.story

Compared to luxury brands like Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, BMW, and Audi, Lexus has the emotional appeal of a public golf course.

Actually, it kind of looks like a Toyota Avalon witih a post-graduate degree.

That's priceless!

That's priceless!

187610[/snapback]

I liked that one too :)

I'd have to say--this was a very fair review. Because I am a fan of Lexus cars (shut up). I love the way they ride, and their inoffensive styling. Hey, I happen to love blands-mobiles. I openly admit it. It's probably why I love Buick.

But if you asked me if the car was striking in design.. if it made a bold statement, I would honestly say no. Those positions are reserved for people who have been doing this segment right for years, and it was mentioned in the article: Those of BMW, MB, and Audi. Lexus still seems like it's forcing the issue of style into their cars. And it's not working.

But hey, if I could afford one, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I think I'd park my own damn car.

The backseat is absolutely FOWL...

Posted Image

Neoclassical pillars, metal gates, home theaters, and replica fountains are no match for this car.

Hell, AFAIK, Lexus still offers gold-plated badges as an accessory. You could stick diamonds on it, and it would still be a badge designed by a focus group.

Edited by empowah

The backseat is absolutely FOWL...

Posted Image

Neoclassical pillars, metal gates, home theaters, and replica fountains are no match for this car.

Hell, AFAIK, Lexus still offers gold-plated badges as an accessory. You could stick diamonds on it, and it would still be a badge designed by a focus group.

187639[/snapback]

yeah but who cares, get a couple of strippers and lots of booze back there on those lay me down seats and that's LUXURY!!!!!!!!!!see how those things recline?

maybe that's what lexus was going for.....

on second thought

NAWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Edited by regfootball

Actually, those rear seats look very inviting, and the leather looks amazing. But I don't like how the rear console kind of just ends as odd as it does. It looks like it was meant to run into where the rear air vents are, but then the designers changed their minds at the last moment.

The seats look awesome to sit in. Otherwise I'd agree that from a styling standpoint, the LS is nothing special to look at. It's a big Lexus sedan that barely stands out styling wise against it's own sibling the ES. However, it IS a technological tour de force which is pretty impressive. I mean 11 airbags...where the heck are all those things? Maybe one of them is in the cupholder...

Edited by big blue

However, it IS a technological tour de force which is pretty impressive.

187705[/snapback]

The trouble is, by five or so years, very mainstream cars will have most of that technology. What unique timeless attributes will the LS offer then? Very little.

It's like big screen TVs and computers. I remember when Pentium II 266Mhz, 64 MB ram, 10 GB space, and 15" monitors were considered impressive. The original iBook, on the other hand, still looks cool.

Edited by empowah

One question?  Have any of you actually driven it, or sat it in yet?  Cause some of you talk ike experts, basing it souly on pics...

187749[/snapback]

Actually, I think many of us are basing it on the reviews. Of course they could be wrong, but it seems to me that if they say something is not at all involving to drive, they're probably right.

Does the review mention Cadillac doesn't play in this segment? It doesn't mention Jaguar but talks about Bentley. Bentley. When did it release a $70,000 car? I must have missed it.

Empowah, what does a car need for it to be "luxurious?" Does it need to have piss poor quality and share underpinnings with Dodge?

Northstar, I know reviews will be different for each and every car but Motor Trend gave a spot on review of the LS. I guess it was paid by Toyota, though.

Does the review mention Cadillac doesn't play in this segment?  It doesn't mention Jaguar but talks about Bentley.  Bentley.  When did it release a $70,000 car?  I must have missed it.

Empowah, what does a car need for it to be "luxurious?"  Does it need to have piss poor quality and share underpinnings with Dodge?

Northstar, I know reviews will be different for each and every car but Motor Trend gave a spot on review of the LS.  I guess it was paid by Toyota, though.

187876[/snapback]

I'd take the new LS ANY day over the (IMHO) BUTT-ugly S-class.

I happen to think it's a beautiful car......inside and out.

I'd take the new LS ANY day over the (IMHO) BUTT-ugly S-class.

I happen to think it's a beautiful car......inside and out.

187884[/snapback]

The S-Class is one of the most gorgeous cars I have ever had the privilege of beholding. What in the world could you possibly find ugly about it? :blink:

The S-Class is one of the most gorgeous cars I have ever had the privilege of beholding.  What in the world could you possibly find ugly about it? :blink:

187901[/snapback]

The CLS? That's my idea of a beautiful Mercedes-Benz sedan (YES....sedan, not "four-door coupe.")

Even the new CL-Class, in my opinion, is a much more favorable overall execution of the big Mercedes-Benz styling direction.

To me, the new S-Class is nothing but an overweight-looking, bloated, boat of a car....like a shrunken Maybach (which I'm not a fan of either.)

It may be getting tired, but I think the last-generation S-Class was a much more graceful-looking design.

The CLS?  That's my idea of a beautiful Mercedes-Benz sedan (YES....sedan, not "four-door coupe.")

Even the new CL-Class, in my opinion, is a much more favorable overall execution of the big Mercedes-Benz styling direction.

To me, the new S-Class is nothing but an overweight-looking, bloated, boat of a car....like a shrunken Maybach (which I'm not a fan of either.)

It may be getting tired, but I think the last-generation S-Class was a much more graceful-looking design.

187996[/snapback]

I agree. The CLS is absolutely gorgeous but the S Class looks just as "cold" and "soulless" as the LS. I am a fan of modern design but I guess it's too modern for me. IMO, the CLS represents old world charm.

You know what? This car reminds me a lot of the problems with the IS350, and even further...a billboard that Lexus itself used. It said "Is it possible to engineer desire?" And it appears that they have answered their own question. No you cant. I have never driven the LS, but I have regularly driven both an RX330 and the SC430 and they are nice, efficient cars. Theres no feel to them. Theyre just nice efficient cars. But there is a reason that my girlfriends mom traded her SC430 in because she wasnt driving it at all. What reason you ask? Because she bought a Hummer H2. She had both, and stopped driving the Lexus. This is coming from the same lady who told me Hummers were pieces of garbage that were always going to be in the shop. Because the Hummer has something Lexus cant engineer. Personality. It has a presence. Lexus seems to be hell bent on catching Benz and BMW in sales with the IS350 and the LS, but they seem to be missing the point. You dont win the segment with rear view cameras, turning headlights and reclining seats. You give the car personality first, technology second.

You know what? This car reminds me a lot of the problems with the IS350, and even further...a billboard that Lexus itself used. It said "Is it possible to engineer desire?" And it appears that they have answered their own question. No you cant. I have never driven the LS, but I have regularly driven both an RX330 and the SC430 and they are nice, efficient cars. Theres no feel to them. Theyre just nice efficient cars. But there is a reason that my girlfriends mom traded her SC430 in because she wasnt driving it at all. What reason you ask? Because she bought a Hummer H2. She had both, and stopped driving the Lexus. This is coming from the same lady who told me Hummers were pieces of garbage that were always going to be in the shop. Because the Hummer has something Lexus cant engineer. Personality. It has a presence. Lexus seems to be hell bent on catching Benz and BMW in sales with the IS350 and the LS, but they seem to be missing the point. You dont win the segment with rear view cameras, turning headlights and reclining seats. You give the car personality first, technology second.

188077[/snapback]

you think its possible my AZTEK has even more personality than a Lexus?

i don't think the new S class is very nice either.  its darn dull actually.

188167[/snapback]

My aunt has the designo launch version with the 19" wheels, black/tan/matte wood, panoramic roof, and graphite paint, and it's hot. It's good with the fat-spoke AMG wheels, too.

The standard ones are a bit boring, but they still look important and presidential. It looked great in The Devil Wears Prada.

Lexus current models, like Toyota are so plain looking and all look so similar. Not one of them will ever be considered collectable in the future. They are for the here and now crowd that craves the Toyota hype and really don't care about cars in general; the perfect disposable luxury car.

188241[/snapback]

yup.

but they are selling.

Lexus current models, like Toyota are so plain looking and all look so similar. Not one of them will ever be considered collectable in the future. They are for the here and now crowd that craves the Toyota hype and really don't care about cars in general; the perfect disposable luxury car.

188241[/snapback]

A sterial car for a sterial person?

The CLS?  That's my idea of a beautiful Mercedes-Benz sedan (YES....sedan, not "four-door coupe.")

187996[/snapback]

I love the CLS, but the S-Class just makes me go whoa.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not so sure it matters how dull this car is. The previous gen LS was never a style statement & this one isn't either.

Not only will each one sell, it's just an hors d'ovre for the forthcoming supercar. Now if a Lexus supercar gets this tepid a review, then I'd be concerned if I were them.

I'm not so sure it matters how dull this car is. The previous gen LS was never a style statement & this one isn't either.

Not only will each one sell, it's just an hors d'ovre for the forthcoming supercar. Now if a Lexus supercar gets this tepid a review, then I'd be concerned if I were them.

189197[/snapback]

Even the performance-oreinted IS gets low marks because of it's steering feel and all the electronic gizmos that drive the car for you instead of letting you drive the car. I'm guessing that the supercar is going to have similar features, and therefore will get destroyed by the F430, Gallarado, etc.

The S-Class is one of the most gorgeous cars I have ever had the privilege of beholding.  What in the world could you possibly find ugly about it? :blink:

187901[/snapback]

First of all, stlying is subjective. That's said, IMO the new S-class is about a bland as they come. It's not completely ugly like most BMWs, but it is certainly dull. The rear end does almost ruins the entire car, but not fatally. It's got a left over front end stlying from a 1990's car, a 7 series copied rear end, and, the only interesting stlying point, the fenders, look cartoonish. What's interesting about its stlying in any way? The S-class has always lagged the rest of the Mercedes line up with its conservative/bland stlying (you could call it understated). This new one continues that tradition.

Mark

Actually, the S-Class has always launched the next generation of "pint, quart, gallon" styling at M-B. The rear isn't copied from anything other than the Maybach, which certainly wasn't cribbed from a 7er. I can see how you could find the fender flares cartoonish, but the front end being from a 90s car? No way.