2008 LaCrosse Makeover?

buickguy

Well, it seems several rumors have been floating around regarding that, including shoving the 5.3L V8 under the hood for a "Super" trim. There was a thread hosting the "new face" of the LaCrosse under the Buick section (I believe it was pinned).

However, I believe there was talk recently that the plans were going to be ditched. So, I can't offer any solid info.

Even if they don't go through with the 5.3, it still needs a facelift to better fit with Lucerne and Enclave. And actually, the 28 mpg highway rating of the 5.3 is pretty damned good. Edited by ocnblu

Even if they don't go through with the 5.3, it still needs a facelift to better fit with Lucerne and Enclave.  And actually, the 28 mpg highway rating of the 5.3 is pretty damned good.

198396[/snapback]

Yup yup.

It really could have used a facelift this year. Then again, it needs it because nothing will have the ovoid grille in 2008 with the goodbye of the Rendezvous, Rainier and Terraza.

Not to mention, it just needs an update badly. The design is late 90's/early 2000's.

LaCrosse will be all-new on EPII for 2009 I believe...so one more model year out of it is prolly what we will get...

198402[/snapback]

See, I keep thinking it's coming out in 2009 for 2010. If that's the case, then one more year isn't that bad. If it's 2 more years, I'd really hope they'd throw a new grille on it.

well , there was a news video of it under a sheet...and supposedly shown to people, not on air....i haven't heard any tihng new about scrapping it...

for EPII, i heard a '10 MY would be when it debuts....hopefully the update will boost sales and make it much more fresh....along with revised power, atleast from the 3.6L

well , there was a news video of it under a sheet...and supposedly shown to people, not on air....i haven't heard any tihng new about scrapping it...

for EPII, i heard a '10 MY would be when it debuts....hopefully the update will boost sales and make it much more fresh....along with revised power, atleast from the 3.6L

198442[/snapback]

As I said in another thread, it'd be nice if the 3.6L put out at least as much power as it does in the cheaper G6 and the Aura.

After the Zetas come out the LaCrosse can drop off the

face of the planet for all I care... once we have a full

lineup of cars in each division including the RWD big

sedans the rest of the stuff will be second fiddle.

198495[/snapback]

Uffa.. Not EVERYONE on this planet wants a RWD vehicle -- I'd gather most don't care.

The NG Lacrosse is a 2010MY vehicle, but it comes out in Jan 2009, so I don't even know if they're going to have a 2009 MY LaCrosse, or just go straight from '08 to '10.

198505[/snapback]

My pessimism thinks it'll be delayed. We seem to have to wait for every Buick product.

The NG Lacrosse is a 2010MY vehicle, but it comes out in Jan 2009, so I don't even know if they're going to have a 2009 MY LaCrosse, or just go straight from '08 to '10.

198505[/snapback]

My pessimism thinks it'll be delayed. We seem to have to wait for every Buick product.

198505[/snapback]

I thought the Ws shut down production in Spring 2008 anyway?

I thought the Ws shut down production in Spring 2008 anyway?

198579[/snapback]

Yeah, that's right, I forgot it had to be stopped for the Oshawa conversion. So in that case, there will be no '09 LaCrosse.

Also, since the NG is a global car it should get plenty of funding to keep it on track, so I'm guessing it will go as planned.

Yeah, that's right, I forgot it had to be stopped for the Oshawa conversion. So in that case, there will be no '09 LaCrosse.

Also, since the NG is a global car it should get plenty of funding to keep it on track, so I'm guessing it will go as planned.

198615[/snapback]

I hope that's the case. It'd definitely be nice however to see a refresh. I'm very surprised they didn't change the grille/nose this year as they changed several things on the interior like the faux wood, steering wheel, gauge cluster, cloth seats, etc.

Uffa.. Not EVERYONE on this planet wants a RWD vehicle -- I'd gather most don't care.

198499[/snapback]

Right...don't forget Avis..they need GM FWD sedans...and GM needs good FWD models to compete with the Camry, Accord, Altima, Sonata, etc....hence the importance of cars like the Aura and '08 Malibu...

198615[/snapback]

i thought they were just converting one "side" of oshawa.... because the impalas were going away, but the still need production of the grand prix and the lacrosse

Any truth to rumors that next summer the '08 LaCrosse will have a new front end, and portholes?

198371[/snapback]

Take a look at the Chinese LaCrosse. A sign of designs to come??

Take a look at the Chinese LaCrosse. A sign of designs to come??

198781[/snapback]

:banghead:

No!

If you don't know anything real, don't throw out misinformation just for the sake of posting.

============================================

Paulie: I didn't realize they were fixing the wood for 2007! I don't hate that interior any more! Center stack is still plain, but hey no more pumpkin orange plood!

Edited by Croc

We aren't getting the Chinese LaCrosse, but the next LaCrosse is a global vehicle, so it will be sold in China too. But, that doesn't mean the current Chinese LaCrosse looks anytinglike the NG LaCrosse.

i thought they were just converting one "side" of oshawa....  because the impalas were going away, but the still need production of the grand prix and the lacrosse

198754[/snapback]

Well Oshawa is being converted to one big plant instead of 2 smaller ones. I doubt they would keep one side open just for the Grand Prix and a couple months of LaCrosse production. The Grand Prix was a 2004 model, so by the 2008 MY it will be 5 years old, which is basically the end of a normal car's lifespan.

Paulie: I didn't realize they were fixing the wood for 2007!  I don't hate that interior any more!  Center stack is still plain, but hey no more pumpkin orange plood!

198786[/snapback]

Isn't it lightyears better?! I have yet to see it in person, but at least in pictures it looks a lot richer, and even more realistic! Thank God for that!

Maybe for `08, if they refresh the exterior, we'll get to see the new corporate radio inside as well, and maybe some other tweaks to the center stack like the new HVAC controls (although I don't necessarily dislike the current ones, I do feel there are too many little buttons--some can be combined into larger switches like the temperature control).

198495[/snapback]

Regardless of what some may want, FWD is still a necessity. Up here in the Great White North a FWD car easily outdoes a RWD car when we get 20 cm of the white stuff and the roads haven't been adequately plowed. No matter the tires, no matter the driver, 20+ cm of snow will undo a RWD car pretty quickly.

It's the major reason why my next car will have AWD. The CTS is fun, but about twice a year it's a royal pain. Not that I want it to be FWD, but it should have had an AWD option for those of us living with real winters.

First, Croc.....I'm not passing misinformation. I've been wrong on 1 "big" thing my entire time here and it was the Outlook fiasco. Infact, a picture that I released is being referenced in this very thread. Interesting I must say.

Second, the Chinese LaCrosse is not W based.

Third, The Chinese LaCrosse came on board years after the U.S. LaCrosse was under development, which signals a styling change that will take the brand global.

I could prove you wrong with the information but I'd rather not get another call from Mr. Grag. You're so inside, you should know who he is.

:lol:

Yes, that is definitely a W-body...how could it not be? It looks like every other W since 1988!

The styling changes to it were more to bring it in line with the Holden Buick imports China has...not so much with other future styling directions...especially since the next LaCrosse is on EPII...totally different platform with totally different styling.

PS: I'm glad you actually admitted to being wrong about the OUTLOOK instead of hiding behind the shelved/delayed bull$h! symantic argument. That shows growth on your part :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Croc

PS: I'm glad you actually admitted to being wrong about the OUTLOOK instead of hiding behind the shelved/delayed bull$h! symantic argument.  That shows growth on your part :AH-HA_wink:

198828[/snapback]

Change is good. It's safe to say I've stayed away long enough to realize that I was an asshole and it's time to change the ways.

Yup, I absolutely was wrong on the Outlook.

But, it's because I was sent a bogus PDF file that many here have seen and can confirm. Anybody would have believed it, honest. It was a well calculated attack on me that went over with flying colors. Can't knock a good game plan and execution.

But, onto the matter at hand, I did try to edit my post, however I'm unable to. I give full kudos to you for pointing out my initial inaccuracies in my original response.

Change is good. It's safe to say I've stayed away long enough to realize that I was an asshole and it's time to change the ways.

Yup, I absolutely was wrong on the Outlook.

But, it's because I was sent a bogus PDF file that many here have seen and can confirm. Anybody would have believed it, honest. It was a well calculated attack on me that went over with flying colors. Can't knock a good game plan and execution.

But, onto the matter at hand, I did try to edit my post, however I'm unable to. I give full kudos to you for pointing out my initial inaccuracies in my original response.

198846[/snapback]

That mean you'll shut down or leave thegmsource.com, and come back? I think most people here can forgive and forget...

That mean you'll shut down or leave thegmsource.com, and come back? I think most people here can forgive and forget...

198852[/snapback]

I sincerely appreciate the apparent kind words, but it doesnt look like that will happen.

1) The decision is not mine

2) The same guys that are with GMS, also do BON. Proven success.

So, what it boils down to, is are we getting a new grille for `08, or not?

I realize the 3800 is going to stay the base engine, that won't change, but I hope cosmetically they change the car a bit.

Here is the image from that thread I mentioned:

Posted Image

198381[/snapback]

Yes. Yes. Absolutely. That's the pimped-up sports version you show. Hopefully, a watered down version of that shape will be available for the CX and CXL.

I was going to do another review. I had one over Labor Day weekend that I took to Canada and really got to know the car.

Essentially, the boring and archaic front grille is the only thing wrong with the car. At over 800 miles (Portland to Vancouver and back), I learned that this is a wonderful car to take on a long trip. That being said, it would make a great daily driver as well.

Bring on the new sloped grille! And good, that means I can grab a 3800 for the last time! That makes me :smilewide:

Edited by trinacriabob

it still needs a facelift to better fit with Lucerne and Enclave. 

198396[/snapback]

Agreed. That would harmonize the brand as well as make it appropriately more contemporary (it might even fetch a few younger buyers).

I hope GM is smart enough to introduce the Hybrid version of the EPII with the new Buick. My parents, true to form Baby Boomers, are holding off the trade in of their Rendevzous in hopes of an EPII hybrid from Buick. They've even talked about trading in the scion if Buick does of such.

• 2 months later...

Any truth to rumors that next summer the '08 LaCrosse will have a new front end, and portholes?

198371[/snapback]

I was just at a dealership last weekend during the Thanksgiving holiday somewhere north of Seattle and south of the Canadian border. I explained I was in transit and was just looking. They were very nice and I helped myself to popcorn. The salesmen said new grilles are coming for the LaX for sure. They made no mention of portholes. There was a Lucerne and a LaX parked next to each other in a line-up at the curb. Gawd, we commented that the Lucerne has a FAR nicer grille. The salesman quipped that the front grille of the LaCrosse looks like that of a Ford Contour (what a slam!).

• 3 weeks later...

You have to remember, the Lacrosse, although it came after Lutz arrived, is definately old-school GM through and through. The W-body, at the time was still GMs most reliable mid-size FWD sedan and it was more cost effective to use the existing Regal platform and build it in the same factory instead of retooling the Epsilon and building it somewhere else. Hell, the Chinese Lacrosse is based on the W-body too and it's doing quite well.

The next Lacrosse will be Epsilon II while all the other W-body vehicles are being phased out or are moving to different platforms so say goodbye soon.

I own 2 W-body vehicles and love them. Having said that they can not even be compared to the refinement of my G-body. The Lacrosse in China is actually good LOOKING. Why did we get the ugly one? And I could care less what body its on so will alot of other people FWD is FWD. Thats why people couldn't justify spending the extra money and upgrading from GP to a Bonneville.

I was just looking at the China spec LaCrosse are we sure that it is not built on the Epsilon? Because it has some Aura styling cues/lines in it. Having said that is the new Malibu going to be on the Epsilon II? Or is the new Saab 9-5 going to be the first to be on it and the LaCrosse second? And if the new Malibu is on the Epsilon I wouldn't it be stupid because in a few years an all new G6 will show up (despite what Pontiac/GM says the CAN'T ignore sales!) and then the Aura will come out on it and the Chevy last? :banghead: Sometimes I would gladly wait another 6 months for it to be on the Epsilon II! Whatever the case maybe I am excited about the new Malibu and if the next LaCrosse looks anything like the one sold in China I will be very happy. Hmmm no about that new RWD GP and Impala, I would still rather have on of those! :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by gm4life

I was just looking at the China spec LaCrosse are we sure that it is not built on the Epsilon? Because it has some Aura styling cues/lines in it. Having said that is the new Malibu going to be on the Epsilon II? Or is the new Saab 9-5 going to be the first to be on it and the LaCrosse second? And if the new Malibu is on the Epsilon I wouldn't it be stupid because in a few years an all new G6 will show up (despite what Pontiac/GM says the CAN'T ignore sales!) and then the Aura will come out on it and the Chevy last?  :banghead:  Sometimes I would gladly wait another 6 months for it to be on the Epsilon II! Whatever the case maybe I am excited about the new Malibu and if the next LaCrosse looks anything like the one sold in China I will be very happy. Hmmm no about that new RWD GP and Impala, I would still rather have on of those!  :AH-HA_wink:

229923[/snapback]

sure we have a thread a bout EpII cars release schedule somewhere...

i think it was the lacross and malibu for '10 and the g6 and aura after that... i could be wrong.

I was just looking at the China spec LaCrosse are we sure that it is not built on the Epsilon? Because it has some Aura styling cues/lines in it. Having said that is the new Malibu going to be on the Epsilon II? Or is the new Saab 9-5 going to be the first to be on it and the LaCrosse second? And if the new Malibu is on the Epsilon I wouldn't it be stupid because in a few years an all new G6 will show up (despite what Pontiac/GM says the CAN'T ignore sales!) and then the Aura will come out on it and the Chevy last?  :banghead:  Sometimes I would gladly wait another 6 months for it to be on the Epsilon II! Whatever the case maybe I am excited about the new Malibu and if the next LaCrosse looks anything like the one sold in China I will be very happy. Hmmm no about that new RWD GP and Impala, I would still rather have on of those!  :AH-HA_wink:

229923[/snapback]

The Chinese LaCrosse is updated W-Body. Shanghai GM has that tooling.

sure we have a thread a bout EpII cars release schedule somewhere...

i think it was the lacross and malibu for '10 and the g6 and aura after that... i could be wrong.

230097[/snapback]

Since the Malibu has been redone for '08, I'm sure it won't get redesigned until well after '10, maybe '12?