Sign in to follow this  
Dragon

2007 Acura MDX Preview

71 posts in this topic

Dragon    0

Some exec at Acura decided it was in their interest to try to wine and dine me into buying a new Acura by inviting me to the invitation only 2007 Acura MDX preview last night. While I have no plans for the Acura, I was plenty appreciative of the wine-ing that they provided. That, and the chance to meet Steve "Stumpy" Thomas (ex of the Tornto Maple Leafs) who was there either because he's friends of the owner, or he's making a little cash on the side.

Posted Image

Being a GM fan and having high expectations from Honda’s luxury brand, I didn’t go in expecting to be impressed, but walking out, I have to admit, Acura did a really good job on the new MDX.

The exterior design was great. The only thing I wasn’t too keen on type of mesh they have on the front grill.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The interior was very clean and well appointed. The plastics felt good, and the leather felt great. There were only two things about the interior that bugged me. There are way too many buttons on the steering wheel and center console. Second, and this is common to all the nav systems I’ve ever played with (all being two, this and i-Drive in a new BMW 5 series), they aren’t intuitive. I spent a good 15min playing around with it (to the annoyance of everybody waiting to try the car out), and still couldn’t getting hang of what buttons did what.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another very minor thing I didn’t like was that the heated seats only had two settings, Hi and Low. The RL I had sat in while waiting for unveiling of the MDX had about 5 or 6 settings for the seat heater. As you can see, the cup holders fit a wine glass quite nicely.

Posted Image

The third row seating, while not the most roomy, were pretty good considering.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stay tuned tomorrow, because they were foolish enough to let me sign up to take an RDX for a test drive tonight.

zete    0

Woah! What's with all the buttons!

I don't like the exterior styling, nor is the way the console merges with the dash all that elegant. That little edge that goes under the dash is just strange looking. Maybe it's the photos, but it just looks awkward. But I guess it matches the awkardness of the outside.

siegen    20

Nice review. Glad you liked it. I'm still torn for the exterior styling, mainly the front end.

Woah! What's with all the buttons!

From top to bottom. Emergency lights, Climate control, CD player, navigation, and then the heated seats buttons in front of the shifter area. The buttons on the steering wheel control cruise and audio. Are there really that many buttons? This isn't even the model with the higher end audio system and more buttons! I find it hard that people think that's a lot of buttons for a luxury vehicle like this.

Posted Image

Maybe it's the photos, but it just looks awkward.

It's the photos :AH-HA_wink: Here are some more.

prinzSD    0

I liked it in Dragon's photos until I saw the photos in Siegen's link which turned me off. Again I do not like some of the weird angles that the lines seem to take. Clearly I am not a fan of sharp creaes and angles, even the C6 vette borders on this problem. I do like the interior sweep of the dashboard. The gray in the interior does nothing for me and reminds me of GM's grey plastic and "mouse" furs they used in the eighties until recently. I'm sure the interior will look better in the lighter colors.

zhawk    0

How many buttons and controls do you NEED in that thing?

The controls in a C-17A seem friendlier to use.

sciguy_0504    0

The model in ScottHendersonFan's photo has too many buttons for my liking but the models without the high-end stereo are fine, IMO. I still am not completely sold on the interior. I'm sure it's well made but the design and all that wood is not appealing. The exterior, on the other hand, looks great.

Dragon    0

sorry bout the flash glare. they kept it pretty dark in there.

Nice review. Glad you liked it. I'm still torn for the exterior styling, mainly the front end.

thanks

The buttons on the steering wheel control cruise and audio

the high end model also has the integrated phone controls on the steering wheel as well.

This isn't even the model with the higher end audio system and more buttons! I find it hard that people think that's a lot of buttons for a luxury vehicle like this.

actually, there are both trim levels. I just happened to get better interior pics in the low end version

Posted Image

Edited by Dragon

Mr.Krinkle    0

How many buttons and controls do you NEED in that thing?

The controls in a C-17A seem friendlier to use.

203666[/snapback]

almost makes a case for the i-drive.

well, almost.

zete    0

From top to bottom. Emergency lights, Climate control, CD player, navigation, and then the heated seats buttons in front of the shifter area. The buttons on the steering wheel control cruise and audio. Are there really that many buttons? This isn't even the model with the higher end audio system and more buttons! I find it hard that people think that's a lot of buttons for a luxury vehicle like this.

It's the photos  :AH-HA_wink:  Here are some more.

203654[/snapback]

Looks much better with less glare, but there are still too many buttons clustered too close together. I should have been clearer. I know you need buttons, but they're all placed so close together. It's like button overload.

As for the outside, the pictures linked to has me saying it's even more ungainly. I'm talking about any of the frontal views. I just don't like that grill.

Plus, I don't think luxury is a competition to see who has the most -- or least -- buttons. The goal is to provide it in a logical way so it's not confusing. I'd rather have them spread out more. They should've put the NAV buttons beside the NAV, for example. the seat related ones are fine on the floor console area. The way it is it's just too crowded and too busy looking.

I'm sure the Enclave and SRX have the same amount of functionality, but have way fewer buttons. Or maybe they're just spread out better.

Edited by zete

zete    0

I know what's bugging me, the layout is illogical. If you look at siegen's photo you'll see that the buttons seem removed from the displays. The NAV controls are at the bottom, the NAV is at the top. The radio display is the monochrome one just below the NAV, but it hosts the climate control one.

My eyes kept going up and down to find the right buttons. Seems like a strange layout.

Northstar    11

I know what's bugging me, the layout is illogical. If you look at siegen's photo you'll see that the buttons seem removed from the displays. The NAV controls are at the bottom, the NAV is at the top. The radio display is the monochrome one just below the NAV, but it hosts the climate control one.

My eyes kept going up and down to find the right buttons. Seems like a strange layout.

203700[/snapback]

I didn't notice that before, but that is certainly true. Usually the displays are located close to the buttons.

regfootball    248

nice glory hole in the crotch of that steering wheel. I bet on payment 14, it sprouts pubic hair.

too many buttons on the dash, and that gray leather is ugly. tan does this vehicle better.

Otherwise, its a nice ride. Another nice but overpriced Honda.

Eh...it's noy my cup of tea. But the metallic finish on the center stack looks nice.

pow    106

Between the new X5 and this, deciding on a luxury midsize 'ute is getting tough. And there's the Q7 and SRX, too...

Dragon    0

too many buttons on the dash, and that gray leather is ugly.  tan does this vehicle better.

203737[/snapback]

the leather thats there is a good colour in person, the flash doens't help

i agree that it would look good in tan.

Flybrian    0

I'll take an SRX because it won't take a briefing from the commander of the 434th Tactical Fighter Wing for me to operate it.

siegen    20

Tan does look much better:

Posted Image

Although I'm not sure the silver trim on the steering wheel goes well with it.

prinzSD    0

Tan does look much better:

Posted Image

Although I'm not sure the silver trim on the steering wheel goes well with it.

203760[/snapback]

Ahhh...that's more like it.

sciguy_0504    0

nice glory hole in the crotch of that steering wheel.  I bet on payment 14, it sprouts pubic hair. 

203737[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol:

Out of control...

Edit: Tan does do the interior more justice.

Edited by sciguy_0504

regfootball    248

Between the new X5 and this, deciding on a luxury midsize 'ute is getting tough. And there's the Q7 and SRX, too...

203745[/snapback]

yeah, but with an X5 you are getting brand equity. not just another honda.

turbo200    6

acura will be moving up the price/image scales, along with honda. all their newer cars are moving upmarket, mostly in image, but also in price.

empowah, I agree with your favorites.

regfootball    248

acura will be moving up the price/image scales, along with honda. all their newer cars are moving upmarket, mostly in image, but also in price.

203908[/snapback]

acura won't be able to move upmarket much. for one, its a tarted up honda. two, its japanese....not german. Third, they can't design well enough to meet the cache factor that is required to move up market. Honda has never shown any ability to be a credible style leader. Fourth, the hardware is not there. they need v8's and rear drive biased platforms.