2007 Acura MDX Preview

Dragon

Some exec at Acura decided it was in their interest to try to wine and dine me into buying a new Acura by inviting me to the invitation only 2007 Acura MDX preview last night. While I have no plans for the Acura, I was plenty appreciative of the wine-ing that they provided. That, and the chance to meet Steve "Stumpy" Thomas (ex of the Tornto Maple Leafs) who was there either because he's friends of the owner, or he's making a little cash on the side.

Posted Image

Being a GM fan and having high expectations from Honda’s luxury brand, I didn’t go in expecting to be impressed, but walking out, I have to admit, Acura did a really good job on the new MDX.

The exterior design was great. The only thing I wasn’t too keen on type of mesh they have on the front grill.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The interior was very clean and well appointed. The plastics felt good, and the leather felt great. There were only two things about the interior that bugged me. There are way too many buttons on the steering wheel and center console. Second, and this is common to all the nav systems I’ve ever played with (all being two, this and i-Drive in a new BMW 5 series), they aren’t intuitive. I spent a good 15min playing around with it (to the annoyance of everybody waiting to try the car out), and still couldn’t getting hang of what buttons did what.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another very minor thing I didn’t like was that the heated seats only had two settings, Hi and Low. The RL I had sat in while waiting for unveiling of the MDX had about 5 or 6 settings for the seat heater. As you can see, the cup holders fit a wine glass quite nicely.

Posted Image

The third row seating, while not the most roomy, were pretty good considering.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stay tuned tomorrow, because they were foolish enough to let me sign up to take an RDX for a test drive tonight.

Woah! What's with all the buttons!

I don't like the exterior styling, nor is the way the console merges with the dash all that elegant. That little edge that goes under the dash is just strange looking. Maybe it's the photos, but it just looks awkward. But I guess it matches the awkardness of the outside.

Nice review. Glad you liked it. I'm still torn for the exterior styling, mainly the front end.

Woah! What's with all the buttons!

From top to bottom. Emergency lights, Climate control, CD player, navigation, and then the heated seats buttons in front of the shifter area. The buttons on the steering wheel control cruise and audio. Are there really that many buttons? This isn't even the model with the higher end audio system and more buttons! I find it hard that people think that's a lot of buttons for a luxury vehicle like this.

Posted Image

Maybe it's the photos, but it just looks awkward.

It's the photos :AH-HA_wink: Here are some more.

I liked it in Dragon's photos until I saw the photos in Siegen's link which turned me off. Again I do not like some of the weird angles that the lines seem to take. Clearly I am not a fan of sharp creaes and angles, even the C6 vette borders on this problem. I do like the interior sweep of the dashboard. The gray in the interior does nothing for me and reminds me of GM's grey plastic and "mouse" furs they used in the eighties until recently. I'm sure the interior will look better in the lighter colors.

The model in ScottHendersonFan's photo has too many buttons for my liking but the models without the high-end stereo are fine, IMO. I still am not completely sold on the interior. I'm sure it's well made but the design and all that wood is not appealing. The exterior, on the other hand, looks great.

sorry bout the flash glare. they kept it pretty dark in there.

Nice review. Glad you liked it. I'm still torn for the exterior styling, mainly the front end.

thanks

The buttons on the steering wheel control cruise and audio

the high end model also has the integrated phone controls on the steering wheel as well.

This isn't even the model with the higher end audio system and more buttons! I find it hard that people think that's a lot of buttons for a luxury vehicle like this.

actually, there are both trim levels. I just happened to get better interior pics in the low end version

Posted Image

Edited by Dragon

From top to bottom. Emergency lights, Climate control, CD player, navigation, and then the heated seats buttons in front of the shifter area. The buttons on the steering wheel control cruise and audio. Are there really that many buttons? This isn't even the model with the higher end audio system and more buttons! I find it hard that people think that's a lot of buttons for a luxury vehicle like this.

It's the photos  :AH-HA_wink:  Here are some more.

203654[/snapback]

Looks much better with less glare, but there are still too many buttons clustered too close together. I should have been clearer. I know you need buttons, but they're all placed so close together. It's like button overload.

As for the outside, the pictures linked to has me saying it's even more ungainly. I'm talking about any of the frontal views. I just don't like that grill.

Plus, I don't think luxury is a competition to see who has the most -- or least -- buttons. The goal is to provide it in a logical way so it's not confusing. I'd rather have them spread out more. They should've put the NAV buttons beside the NAV, for example. the seat related ones are fine on the floor console area. The way it is it's just too crowded and too busy looking.

I'm sure the Enclave and SRX have the same amount of functionality, but have way fewer buttons. Or maybe they're just spread out better.

Edited by zete

I know what's bugging me, the layout is illogical. If you look at siegen's photo you'll see that the buttons seem removed from the displays. The NAV controls are at the bottom, the NAV is at the top. The radio display is the monochrome one just below the NAV, but it hosts the climate control one.

My eyes kept going up and down to find the right buttons. Seems like a strange layout.

I know what's bugging me, the layout is illogical. If you look at siegen's photo you'll see that the buttons seem removed from the displays. The NAV controls are at the bottom, the NAV is at the top. The radio display is the monochrome one just below the NAV, but it hosts the climate control one.

My eyes kept going up and down to find the right buttons. Seems like a strange layout.

203700[/snapback]

I didn't notice that before, but that is certainly true. Usually the displays are located close to the buttons.

nice glory hole in the crotch of that steering wheel.  I bet on payment 14, it sprouts pubic hair. 

203737[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol:

Out of control...

Edit: Tan does do the interior more justice.

Edited by sciguy_0504

acura will be moving up the price/image scales, along with honda. all their newer cars are moving upmarket, mostly in image, but also in price.

203908[/snapback]

acura won't be able to move upmarket much. for one, its a tarted up honda. two, its japanese....not german. Third, they can't design well enough to meet the cache factor that is required to move up market. Honda has never shown any ability to be a credible style leader. Fourth, the hardware is not there. they need v8's and rear drive biased platforms.

I love Acuras and this just makes me love them more, I'm on my second Acura (02 RSX and now 05 TSX) and we're looking into buying an SUV as we're having a baby in March and my boyfriend's current car is way too small for a carseat!

I haven't test driven the 07 MDX but I did try out the TL and RDX. Maybe it's because I've had 2 Acuras and driven 2 others but the navi and controls/buttons are super easy for me and my boyfriend.

Our top picks now are the X5/X3, MDX/RDX, FX45, Yukon Denali...I don't need to give up my TSX so it'll mainly be my boyfriend's ride and he refuses to get anything like a CUV/tall station wagon, it's not guy enough for him.

He's iffy on the Acura's, prefers the BMWs :)

One thing I will say about Acura, I love the service.......I've always been well treated during the entire process - buying, maintenance, etc.

Thanks for the photos, can't wait to try it out myself!

Looks great, as does the smaller RDX-kudos to them being able to kick the V-6 engine to 300hp! Buick better boost the power on that larger Enclave (and Chrysler with the Pacifica).....

203654[/snapback]

Yeah. I don't see why everyone complains of the amount of buttons. There's really not that many buttons and certainly wouldn't be hard to get used to. It looks fine to me. Even the top of the line one.

Between the new X5 and this, deciding on a luxury midsize 'ute is getting tough. And there's the Q7 and SRX, too...

203745[/snapback]

:withstupid:

acura won't be able to move upmarket much.  for one, its a tarted up honda.  two, its japanese....not german.  Third, they can't design well enough to meet the cache factor that is required to move up market.  Honda has never shown any ability to be a credible style leader. Fourth, the hardware is not there.  they need v8's and rear drive biased platforms.

203989[/snapback]

:blink:

For one, it's not just a tarted up Honda and you know it. Two, what does it matter? German vehicles aren't always the best nor the only ones with brand equity. Third, that's subjective and I find it to be quite stylish. Fourth, bigger isnt always better and AWD is AWD and Acura has one hell of an AWD system.

Reg, I swear you make a fool out of yourself more than anyone else here, even the trolls.

ah, BV shooting his mouth off again. Youth and rage, youth and rage. we're all used to it by now, so whatever.

sure, i guess if you'd enjoy a nicer honda over a real luxury vehicle like a BMW, go ahead, that's your prerogative. I already own a Honda. I cut grass with it. I bought it at sears. Acuras are so exotic that way, all that racing technology straight from the lawn mower and gas pressure washers. Cobalts are cleaning Hondas clocks on the tracks nowadays anyways.

Even VW has a greater brand equity than Acura. The MDX sells well because it was among the best of the crossovers. It still might be, but it sells because its a well done family vehicle. It has luxury elements to it...but in the final analysis, Acura will never achieve the desirability brands people really would rather drive first, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche. Acura is something for those folks to drive while they are on the way up the socio economic ladder. Once they arrive, they jettison those Japanese keys and buy something their well to do friends won't raise an eyebrow at.

Proof, Honda, er, Acura RL. How many times are they gonna need to try that one before people take it seriously?

The least Honda could do is build a Luxury car that folks might even classify with a Lexus, for starters. Honda can't even gain as much cred as the Lexus vehicles.

Edited by regfootball

ah, BV shooting his mouth off again.  Youth and rage, youth and rage.  we're all used to it by now, so whatever.

sure, i guess if you'd enjoy a nicer honda over a real luxury vehicle like a BMW, go ahead, that's your prerogative.  I already own a Honda.  I cut grass with it.  I bought it at sears.  Acuras are so exotic that way, all that racing technology straight from the lawn mower and gas pressure washers.  Cobalts are cleaning Hondas clocks on the tracks nowadays anyways.

Even VW has a greater brand equity than Acura.  The MDX sells well because it was among the best of the crossovers.  It still might be, but it sells because its a well done family vehicle.  It has luxury elements to it...but in the final analysis, Acura will never achieve the desirability brands people really would rather drive first, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche.  Acura is something for those folks to drive while they are on the way up the socio economic ladder.  Once they arrive, they jettison those Japanese keys and buy something their well to do friends won't raise an eyebrow at.

Proof, Honda, er, Acura RL.  How many times are they gonna need to try that one before people take it seriously?

The least Honda could do is build a Luxury car that folks might even classify with a Lexus, for starters.  Honda can't even gain as much cred as the Lexus vehicles.

204678[/snapback]

:lol:

I reiterate: Reg, I swear you make a fool out of yourself more than anyone else here, even the trolls. You can have your opinion, but it's just laughable, honestly. If you would logically think about things and not go off an obvious and strong bias, maybe I could give you some credit. But you don't. If it's a Honda, "just because it's a Honda" is all I get from your posts. You don't realistically judge anything. You spurt off badge bias worse than import humpers do.

Edited by blackviper8891

203700[/snapback]

The "Radio display" has the temp setting for the climate control on either side of the display, right beside the buttons for setting the desired temp. The stero controls are directly under the stereo. The "i drive" control is far away from the nav screen, but it puts your arm in a more comfortable position when you are using it.

I think controls should be placed in such a way that they are within reach and the most common/important are closest. Why should controls be near their related displays? It is nice when it can happen, but I don't think it is the of the utmost concern. As an extreme example, should the gas pedal be near the speedo or tach?

Honda used to take a lot of flak for having the moonroof controls on the dash. It was "illogical". But I for one, would rather not have to hold my hand above me head to close the moonroof. Perhaps one day manufacturers will get "logical" and put the passenger power window switch only on the passenger door :P

The "Radio display" has the temp setting for the climate control on either side of the display, right beside the buttons for setting the desired temp.  The stero controls are directly under the stereo.  The "i drive" control is far away from the nav screen, but it puts your arm in a more comfortable position when you are using it.

I think controls should be placed in such a way that they are within reach and the most common/important are closest.  Why should controls be near their related displays?  It is nice when it can happen, but I don't think it is the of the utmost concern.  As an extreme example, should the gas pedal be near the speedo or tach?

Honda used to take a lot of flak for having the moonroof controls on the dash. It was "illogical".  But I for one, would rather not have to hold my hand above me head to close the moonroof.  Perhaps one day manufacturers will get "logical" and put the passenger power window switch only on the passenger door  :P

204996[/snapback]

:withstupid:

My opinion on Acura as a luxury brand:

I personally don't see Acura on the same level as BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, and even now Infiniti. Sure, they're very nice vehicles (at least the TL and RL - the previous MDX interior was crap as was the RSX, and the TSX is just decent). I haven't sat in the new MDX or RDX, so I can't comment on the interior quality, but at least the TL and RL have interiors that are pretty good for their price.

However, my beef with Acura is that they lack the visual pizzaz that the other luxury makers bring. I saw a perfectly detailed black RL today (looked like it was on the showroom floor) that was parked on the side of the road, and it looked very nice, but at the same time, nothing about it said it was a $50k car. It looked more like a $30-35k car that would compete with the Lucerne and Avalon.

Cant say I disagree with that. Acura, however, was more like what Oldsmobile used to be. More upscale, sporty, and luxurious than the average Chevrolet, but a notch below Cadillac. Acura has become more upscale, especially within the last few years. The new MDX certainly shows that its still going up. It certainly looks the part, too.

The interior looks good. The black probably looks better in person. The "electric shaver" grille, though, ehhh.

Honda has always followed their own, stubborn path, and that's fine for them, apparently.

I don't see Acura as a true luxury brand either. More a premium alternative to Honda with excellent dealer service thrown in.

Witness the Canadian Acura "Civic". An indication that even Honda doesn't consider the brand "true" luxury, just a step up.

Audi and Volvo are primarily FWD brands. Are they "true" luxury?

It's a shame to see the RSX go. Yes, the current Civic Si matches it in horsepower, but not image. Are they still coming out with a TSX coupe of some kind? It will surely be more expensive than the RSX, a way to keep the "kids" who bought the Integra and RSX out of the showroom. Does Acura really want to do that?

I'd readily place Audi ahead of Acura in terms of true luxury. They're only second-tier in sales and prestige because of MB and BMW's pure dominance. On their own, they can hold their own.

Also, Acura thrives in low-end entry luxury. Naturally, all luxury brands sell the most volume of their entry model, but Mercedes, BMW, and Cadillac post extrodinarily balanced numbers across the line. The RL never sold exceedingly well and I'd bet the bulk of Acura transactions are sub-$40k TSXs and TLs

This coming from a guy who drives a 500 and an Aztec. Dude, have you ever sat in a new Acura? Forget about brand positioning, perception and other status nonsense. Lets judge the cars on their own merit and see how they do. The cars are truely excellent and luxurious and have fantastic build quality. Even modern day Mercedes cars don't have the vault like interior and quality of an RL. Don't judge sitting from an internet forum. Spend a day and go test drive an Acura RL or MDX and then go check out what the competition offers. You may come to a surprising conclusion. (hint: BMW interiors may feel like junk sub economy car interiors after sitting in some Acura's. Hope that doesn't destroy your fantasy)

One more thing, let's not go into "racing technology". Don't forget that Honda is one of the few companies that has the technology and know-how to be able to participate in a sport that can be considered the pinnacle of automotive engineering.

This 2.4L V8 puts out 700HP and spins to 20,000+ rpm

Posted Image

Not only do they have the know-how now, but they have been in this game for a long time now. Back in the day, Honda was one of the few companies to enter F1 with it's engine and it's own chassis design. Only Ferrari used to do that. Even in the years when they didn't actively participate, their V-10 and V-12 engines were in very strong demand for their incredible power and reliability. Many constructor champions awards have been won on Honda F1 engines.

Trust me, Honda knows how to make killer engines. What they do in terms of brand positioning is their choice. I don't agree with the strategy of not offering a V8 on it's luxury models. However, that's they choose to do and they may revise that strategy in the future. For now though, they make great cars.

205037[/snapback]

HONDA RL, look at the sales charts.

sure honda can build and engineer good engines and their interiors are above par. and in the end their cars still lack soul.

if i chose to blow my family's investment money on a tarted up Honda, I could brag that I have a nice Honda and such. So my Aztek cost 40% of what someone pays for an MDX, I am not throwing away money on a car. It's actually pretty irresponsible to spend that much money on a car. Which gets back around to what I am saying. Honda's MDX, RL whatever Accord rebadges they are passing off are well engineered cars. But you boneheads need to GET that in the high price ranges, its not just enough to have engineering excellence. You have to have the style and snob factor, which Acura Clearly DOES NOT. Folks who anted up 40k for a nice MDX got one because it was the nicest family vehicle they could find; the Germans had not ramped up their CUV type offerings yet.

So Honda needs to get a clue about style if they want the respect of the real desired automobile jet set, THE EUROPEANS.

THE RL SALES tell you that story LOUD AND CLEAR. If its such a fin great car and had the style factor down, it would sell decently.

Edited by regfootball

The cars are truely excellent and luxurious and have fantastic build quality. Even modern day Mercedes cars don't have the vault like interior and quality of an RL. Don't judge sitting from an internet forum. Spend a day and go test drive an Acura RL or MDX and then go check out what the competition offers. You may come to a surprising conclusion. (hint: BMW interiors may feel like junk sub economy car interiors after sitting in some Acura's. Hope that doesn't destroy your fantasy)

205037[/snapback]

Umm, what? You are attacking reg for making baseless comments, and then you say that the RL has a better interior than Mercedes and that BMWs feel like junk economy cars compared to Acuras? Right... :rolleyes: Acura's are nice but they aren't that nice.

We're on a forum dedicated to a brand that has made rebading an art form, and you're complaining about Honda's "rebadge". At least on an Acura, people don't have the faintest clue that they're in a so called "rebadge". The sheet metal is different, the interior is completely different (down to buttons, knobs, gauges, materials, textures, equipment, seats, space, noise levels, radio, HVAC, navigation, techno goodies.......practically everything), the engine is different, the suspension is different, the performance nad handling are different............sorry what was that you were saying again? You want rebadge? I can show you rebadge. Head over to your nearest Ford/GM dealership.

205087[/snapback]

In the past GM may have had rebadges, but today they are well differeniated for the most part. Yes, there are still some examples, but most of them are stopgap vehicles (G5, Torrent, CSVs) and won't be rebadges in the future.

Got anymore comments that are completely devoid of any logic or sense?

205087[/snapback]

How is this devoid of logic or sense? If the RL is such a great car, why doesn't it sell well? Oh, because it looks like a $30-35k sedan, and not a $50k sedan.

Also, your "snob" factor comment is completely off base. When people spend $40-50k on a car, most of them want the car to look like it's worth that money. BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, etc., look like they're worth the money that's on the sticker. The RL doesn't.

Whadaya know, it's the reg fanclub. I don't have enough energy to argue with the whole lot of you, so refer to previous posts and find a suitable response for yourself.

205126[/snapback]

What?!? My post was in response to your previous posts. :stupid: Obviously they didn't provide any answers before, so how are they going to now?

So basically you're saying that you can't explain your previous statement of how Acuras make BMW interiors seem like economy cars and my statement that the RL doesn't look like it's a $50k car so you tell me to go find answers in your posts when there aren't any?

Oh, and I am most certainly not a reg fanclub member, I'm just saying many of your statements make no more sense than his do.

Add to that the fact that an RL is completely and utterly undistinctive and has absolutely zero recognition in the market, its a wonder they sell any. Its only hallmark is an AWD system that no one actually cares about. So, you can fawn over the interior 'till the cows come home, but the exterior looks like a $25-30,000 car with a PepBoys Xenon kit.

Sticking with the Legend moniker would've been a far more intelligent decision, along with a V8 powerplant. Cadillac has shown a large FWD V8 car can be successful if tailored to a certain market correctly. Mock the DeVille all you want, but GM moved out over 100k a year for a half decade and not all of them were to fleets. Some people simply like that sort of car, the same people that liked the Park Avenue, Olds Aurora, Lincoln Continental, and - yes - the old Legend. A larger V8 Legend that looked expensive could've done much better than the current model.

As it stands, you can't help but to conclude Acura truly half-assed the RL. Yes, it executed the car very well, but the entire concept was flawed from a saleability standpoint. Its trying to handle well without having RWD, perform well while still having a six, and be commanding and luxurious with midsize dimensions and boring lines.

The RL wasn't designed to be an Acura like the RDX, MDX, and TL were, nor was it designed to be a global competitor against BMWs, Audis, and Mercs. Honda simply reasoned there wasn't much to lose by sending the Legend here, and they were right; they sold a few copies.

Perhaps when Honda establishes Acura worldwide, like Toyota is doing with Lexus, will we see a distinctive RL. What we have now is Honda's top premium sedan, full of innovative technology, sure, but without the identity necessary to compete against prestige brands.

Oh I've seen it. I've also read about the long term Cadillacs that were falling apart, guys whining on the E90 forum, MBworld about their electrical gremlins etc. However, on the whole, Acura's are very reliable and have very good fit and finish.

205141[/snapback]

We own an Odyssey EX-L. Good reliability and fit and finish? Let's see, 25K miles so far...

* thin sheetmetal -- I dented the hatch from closing it

* thin leather -- looks like it has endured 100K miles

* tranny issues -- Honda V6 transmissions are notorious for being unreliable; we had the recall done, but we're still getting occasional jerking

* loud -- noisy beyond belief; full of rattles and tire roar

* hard materials -- not a single piece of soft plastic; lots of molding seams instead

It drives well for a minivan, and it's very fast, but the quality isn't much to brag about.

We own an Odyssey EX-L. Good reliability and fit and finish? Let's see, 25K miles so far...

* thin sheetmetal -- I dented the hatch from closing it

* thin leather -- looks like it has endured 100K miles

* tranny issues -- Honda V6 transmissions are notorious for being unreliable; we had the recall done, but we're still getting occasional jerking

* loud -- noisy beyond belief; full of rattles and tire roar

* hard materials -- not a single piece of soft plastic; lots of molding seams instead

It drives well for a minivan, and it's very fast, but the quality isn't much to brag about.

205216[/snapback]

That's nothing :AH-HA_wink:

I hate to all the way back to page one, but...

Onlooker: "Oooh, aaah, integrated stereo unit."

Me: "I suppose the days of aftermarket stereo units are over."

203657[/snapback]

They've been over for a long time now ;)

Posted Image

Now back to the MDX. Would I buy one with my own money? No. Do I think it's an improvment from the older one? In some regards yes.