JUST RETURNED FROM GM CANADA DEALER ONLY CAR SHOW

CadillacCTS

Well I just returned from the GM Canada dealer only autoshow in Toronto, Ontario. We were shown the production Enclave, Acadia, GMT-900 trucks, Equinox SS, Torrent GXP, G6 Coupe GXP, Solstice GXP, NEW 08 CTS, NEW 08 STS and finally the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu

The Malibu literally stole the show. Everyones jaws dropped when they unveiled the car. It is simply stunning. Toyota and Honda have some serious competition coming, and thats coming from dealers who also own foreign dealerships. It will be available fall 2007, and we were told to watch for it on this years autoshow circuit. Before anyone asks....We were not allowed to sit in it.

The Torrent GXP and the Equinox SS get the new V6, also in the Acadia and Enclave, which produces 275hp, as well as a sweet dual exhaust system. The vehicles have been lowered to the ground to produce a "low rider" appearance.

The G6 GXP Coupe reminded me of a GTO, with a dramatic Pontiac grill up front.

The Acadia is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L inside. Tight gaps and very nice materials grace the entire cabin. For all you Enclave lovers, you will be happy to know that from concept to production version, no one could tell the differences, minus the "show car" pieces, such as all the screens...Even the leather wrapped dash stays for production!

I dont even know what to say about the 08 STS, it was another that was unveiled, as a clay model, and everyones jaws hit the floor once again.

The 08 CTS looks just as it was shown when Lutz did the report on GM. The grill and headlights are identical. Again we did not get to see these vehicles inside.

I was worried about the new trucks, however after being able to sit in them, I worry no more. The GMC, however is much more classy than the Silverado. I think I will be ordering more GMC's this time than Chevy's for the first time in history! Both interiors are wonderful, huge step up from the current generation. I liked the LTZ and SLT interiors the most though.

Just thought I would drop a few quick lines to let you know that GM made it clear to us that they are serious about staying on top. If they keep bringing out vehicles like the 08 Malibu, than the rest of the auto companies should just toss the towel in now. No kidding. You won't believe the 08 Malibu, and I am critical on GM product.

Edited by CadillacCTS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A "NEW" 08 STS clay model?----SO the 08 CTS is shown but a "NEW" 08 STS is NOT except for a clay model? A clay model that is to be an 2008 MODEL?? Something isnt correct here! Looking forward to the CTS-MALIBU models but a NEW 08 STS can not be accurate!

A "NEW" 08 STS clay model?----SO the 08 CTS is shown but a "NEW" 08 STS is NOT except for a clay model? A clay model that is to be an 2008 MODEL?? Something isnt correct here! Looking forward to the CTS-MALIBU models but a NEW 08 STS can not be accurate!

204265[/snapback]

I thought the same thing....there can't be a new STS already, but there is. It was a clay model (they told us that, and it looked very real), and they told each and every dealer there that it was for 2008. Just going on what they told us. Unless someone slipped up and was supposed to say.."begins production in 2008."

Edited by CadillacCTS

It's good to know that there are continuing signs of life coming out of GM. On AH-HA's short-lived blog, there were a couple of pics of an updated STS, but it looked like a minor refresh (grille, taillights). Maybe that's coming in '08 and the more significant upgrade a couple of years later? On the other hand, who would buy the existing STS when the spectacular new CTS comes out?

Sounds terrific, can't wait for more information on all these cars. I was just thinking today of what a head bangingly stupid thing it is to give Suzuki such a nice powerful SUV (XL-7) and the engines in the American Thetas are so underpowered, comparatively. I hope you are right about the STS for '08 and that the changes are dramatic.

But, how dramatic were the changes? I mean how significantly did the changes seem to the body? Thanks.

Something just popped into my mind after re-reading the original post. If the Malibu stole the show and we know the CTS is going to be awesome, think how awesome the Malibu was!

Since I don't have HS basketball this year, I can go to NAIAS. I think that will be item #1 on the Christmas list!

I heard a rumor that the new 'Bu will have the 3.6/6 speed combo. That would be awsome, I drove that combo in the aura and it impressed the hell out of me, left me thinging Altima and VQ what?

oh yeah, deffinetly the big surprise here out of all the vehicles is the STS. IF it get the updated 3.6 DI and the new northstar early with a new interior and moderatley updated exterior this could be the biggest step forward for Cadillac since the hole Arts and Science deal started, both a CTS and STS coming out at the same time that is. Was this car a from the ground up redisign like the new CTS or was this clay model clearly based on the current car but with some signifcant alterations?

I heard a rumor that the new 'Bu will have the 3.6/6 speed combo.  That would be awsome, I drove that combo in the aura and it impressed the hell out of me, left me thinging Altima and VQ what?

204343[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if it did get that combo. It just makes sense, given now the 'Bu is manufactured next to the Aura at Fairfax. Slimming down combo options, easier manufacturing.

My question is how much larger is the STS compared to the existing STS vs. the new CTS. Why? Because right now the size difference isn't that great and if the CTS is bigger -- as everyone has said it is -- then the new STS has to be up to 7 & S class size. Making another STS only slightly larger than the CTS would be stupid.

I'm really looking forward to the autoshow circuit.

And thanks for the info on the Enclave. I'm glad its' nearly 100% identical. If it were offered I'd buy it in 6 seat config as per the concept. I never thought it would have a plethora of screens, but 6 buckets would be great, though I'd happily live with 4 buckets and a bench in back that folds flat.

ok so i was also at the gm dealer show. the equinox looks great although they aren't referring to it as SS. the malibu did steal the show. it is stunning and will certainly make the competition drool! we saw an interior photo only. like nothing you would expect from GM in a midsize sedan. the 08 CTS will likely cause more stir then when the original was introduced! it is that hot! Acadia and Enclave are also done very very well! the GMT900s are amazing. A new standard in trucks for sure. although i believe the Chevy is much better looking! far more agressive then the GMC.

one more thing...hybrids...here we come!!!

ok so i was also at the gm dealer show. the equinox looks great although they aren't referring to it as SS. the malibu did steal the show.  it is stunning and will certainly make the competition drool! we saw an interior photo only.  like nothing you would expect from GM in a midsize sedan.  the 08 CTS will likely cause more stir then when the original was introduced! it is that hot!  Acadia and Enclave are also done very very well! the GMT900s are amazing. A new standard in trucks for sure. although  i believe the Chevy is much better looking! far more agressive then the GMC.

204396[/snapback]

A new design concept: the "looks-like-Bugs-Bunny's-teeth-grille"! :lol:

@ Cadillac CTS: was that new STS a facelift or a brand new thing? How big was it compared to the CTS (assuming the clay model was a 1:1 scale model)?

Edited by ZL-1

Wow, well we all saw the Malibu spy shots and video off Edmonds, is the production version really that much more intreging than what we saw? I know camo'd cars are why blander and plain vs production but you can usually get some general idea of what it would look like. I'm sure anxious to see it now!

lets see...what can i say. the car looks very upscale. very european. large wheels and tires. the spy shots everyone has seen are very accurate. as accurate as a camo'd car can be. the interior (from pictures only) is very different than we are use to. two tone and dramatic. the new chevy front end reminds me something(not exactly) of audi's kind of drop snout..or think chevy SS show car from detroit a couple years ago. expect this car to be a huge success!

the new clay STS mystifies me. guess GM likes to surprise us.

of course if it's brand new for 08 i'd be thrilled. the current model will be dead in a year. Maybe those mules driving around are just ugly on the outside for a reason?

considering these products, is it any wonder York ditched GM and ran? there's probably not much he can do...

Edited by jbartley

the new chevy front end reminds me something(not exactly) of audi's kind of drop snout..or think chevy SS show car from detroit a couple years ago.  expect this car to be a huge success!

204461[/snapback]

You mean it looks like the red Chevy SS 4 door they showed in Detroit in 2002 or 2003? If it looks anything like that I'm placing my order now!!!!

So wait, what's the difference between the current G6 coupe GTP and this new GXP?  What engine is in it?

I assume it will look like this?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/03/200...ncept-unveiled/

204421[/snapback]

Check the post again. Styling is very close to the Performance Coupe <_< , and they didn't reveal about the powertrain.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I had to travel home from Toronto today. So I talked to my GM rep to clear a few things up:

• The clay model STS we were shown is not a brand new vehicle....but an EXTENSIVELY reworked STS for 2008.

• The G6 GXP Coupe is identical to the one shown at Left Lane News. (Except they didn't show us the inside, so im not sure if that is the same, but the exterior is. And yes the spoiler was on it too.) G6 GXP Coupe at Left Lane News

• The Acadia is more stunning inside than out. The interior is beautifully crafted, with rich looking materials.

• To address the questions about Acadia and Enclave size, they are quite big. Much bigger than portrayed by pictures.

• The Solstice GXP was just what you've seen, no hardtop.

• Another point from the meeting....8 Hybrid models by 2009....including the Cobalt in 2008!

• We were also shown the H3 SUT, very cool.

Edited by CadillacCTS

• The G6 GXP Coupe is identical to the one shown at Left Lane News. (Except they didn't show us the inside, so im not sure if that is the same, but the exterior is.  And yes the spoiler was on it too.) G6 GXP Coupe at Left Lane News 

Awesome, thanks for the info!! :pbjtime::ohyeah: Any release date?

• Another point from the meeting....8 Hybrid models by 2009....including the Cobalt in 2008!

:thumbsup: