Buick Wants to Bring in the Black Guys

Variance

Buick Wants to Bring in the Black Guys

If more blacks start driving Buicks it could help the brand overcome its biggest problem: the perception that it is a boring, old person's car.

That's the view of Steve Shannon, Buick's general manager. He says blacks are the most loyal Buick customers and he wants more of them.

Not only do blacks of all ages buy a lot of cars, he says that young blacks, particularly athletes and hip-hop artists, help define urban hipness.

Autoweek

Well as a black guy who knows other black guys, you won't hear any argument from me. Athletes and various recording artists do set the trend that a lot of the black community follow (sometimes to embrassing extents, IMO).

Personally though, I'm not like a lot of black guys they probably plan on marketing to. I'd elborate more but I'll save it for later. :AH-HA_wink:

I'm waiting for all the racial allegations that ignore the fact that this is a factual statement.

In any case, this adds more evidence to my case that Steve Shannon steals my ideas...

Posted Image

214351[/snapback]

If he was a Buick salesman I think I'd have to buy one. :yes:

I agree that the athletes (of any race really) help to set trends that trickle down to the automotive enthusiasts. I suppose you can add celebs to that as well. Look what Snoop Dogg and NBA stars have done for the image of the 300C. This has to be one of the most popular cars among black and latino buyers looking for the bling...and the Charger is hot on its heels.

While I can envision the Lucerne fitting into this crowd, especially with the newly unveiled SEMA cars, will it alienate their core audience of people over 50? How will Buick strike the balance and be able to market to such opposite people? Lucerne and Enclave for the young and hip(but also the most expensive in the lineup), while the LaCrosse is for the senior citizens?

And taking this even bigger picture...Cadillac has already been targeting a younger affluent crowd and Pontiac is the sports car brand(in theory). Chevy is more low end and mass market, Saturn trying for more European alongside Saab. Hummer and GMC are pure trucks/crossover based. Taking Buick in this direction leaves the seniors knocking on Toyota's(Lexus) doors IMO

Overtly racist, humorous but yet non-offensive threads like this

are such a hillariously enjoyable part of C&G. Hip-Hop types

already have a lot of respect for Buick.... 1950s and 1960s

ones anyway. IIRC Queen Latifah had a '70 Skylark on one of

those overhaulin/pimp-my-ride shows. And I KNOW I've seen a

few Buick Lowriders in music videos & magazines.

That KRISS-KROSS chop is hillarious!!!

How ironic that about a week ago I discussed that "JUMP" song

with XP & SP and they agreed with me that it should be an 100%

official Tight Whips approved song.

Remember that 1959 Chevy that had the body mounted backwards

on the frame was was driven across the Golden Gate for a

photoshoot with Motor Trend? (?) That's the car they should have

since they wear their clothes backwards.

Personally though, I'm not like a lot of black guys they probably plan on marketing to. I'd elborate more but I'll save it for later. :AH-HA_wink:

214359[/snapback]

OK man, that can only mean at least one of three things: you're not straight, you're the next Gary Coleman, or you look and act like Urkel or something...

isn't this news kinda what they did with the escalade....seriously... they "blinged out" the caddy to some "promonent" black celebrities ideas right?....

they should just keep building them how they are moving towards, not "making them for" the black culture. don't things that are made for certain "demographics" typically leak into other demographics and then the intended demographic kinda lose interest in it?

make any sense or seem like ramblings?

OK man, that can only mean at least one of three things: you're not straight, you're the next Gary Coleman, or you look and act like Urkel or something...

214619[/snapback]

Nope. I'm straight, regular height and hate suspenders and polka. 8)

Perhaps he's albino...

214748[/snapback]

I'm not Michael Jackson, either. :confused0071:

Then color me confused :o

214798[/snapback]

I just mean that I'm not a fan of excess "bling", my taste in music isn't predominantly rap/hip-hop (nor am I really influenced by the artists of such), I think "donks", "bubbles" and wheels the size of small children are stupid and I don't think my teeth should be any color other than white.

I don't see myself as what I think more than a few people think is the "(stereo)typical black male".

I just mean that I'm not a fan of excess "bling", my taste in music isn't predominantly rap/hip-hop (nor am I really influenced by the artists of such), I think "donks", "bubbles" and wheels the size of small children are stupid and I don't think my teeth should be any color other than white.

I don't see myself as what I think more than a few people think is the "(stereo)typical black male".

214802[/snapback]

Ah. See, I only like wheels the size of small children when they're running over said small children. Because that's just funny.

214802[/snapback]

Does it get tiring hearing jokes/comments because you're not a stereotypical black male? I assume everyone here on C&G that made the comments about you not falling in to the stereotypical black male role knows you well enough to joke with you, however being a teacher of many black males, females, as well as white males and females, I've noticed that both black (guys and girls) help propagate stereotypes for black males and females. "Acting black" in a stereotypical fashion is nothing but praised in my school. I've always found the unity of a color as having one mindset as childish but there are many blacks and whites who feel that there is such a thing.

I ask if it gets tiring because I see those black students in my school who choose a more individual path tend to get more flak from both blacks and whites for not fitting in to the stereotypical role. I bring this up also because I would never liked to be linked with what a stereotypical white person is and I am pushed daily by my students to fit in that stereotype as well. From what I understand is if you're black and you aren't in with black pop-culture then you get white-jokes being thrown at you a lot, has this happened to you?

I don't mean for this to be off-topic, but I promote individual thinking across all races and religions and detest falling in to a stereotype just because it's comfortable, especially if it's not what you'd like to do, and you sound like you are an individual with solid reasons for being who you are and why you are, so I was wondering if it was hard to break that mold?

I've always found it awkward that a press release like this can refer to appealing to "black males" as if black males typically have one mindset across the board. Just like any race I don't believe there is a connection between action and color of skin, only to the color of a mind.

Does it get tiring hearing jokes/comments because you're not a stereotypical black male? I assume everyone here on C&G that made the comments about you not falling in to the stereotypical black male role knows you well enough to joke with you, however being a teacher of many black males, females, as well as white males and females, I've noticed that both black (guys and girls) help propagate stereotypes for black males and females. "Acting black" in a stereotypical fashion is nothing but praised in my school. I've always found the unity of a color as having one mindset as childish but there are many blacks and whites who feel that there is such a thing.

I ask if it gets tiring because I see those black students in my school who choose a more individual path tend to get more flak from both blacks and whites for not fitting in to the stereotypical role. I bring this up also because I would never liked to be linked with what a stereotypical white person is and I am pushed daily by my students to fit in that stereotype as well. From what I understand is if you're black and you aren't in with black pop-culture then you get white-jokes being thrown at you a lot, has this happened to you?

I don't mean for this to be off-topic, but I promote individual thinking across all races and religions and detest falling in to a stereotype just because it's comfortable, especially if it's not what you'd like to do, and you sound like you are an individual with solid reasons for being who you are and why you are, so I was wondering if it was hard to break that mold?

I've always found it awkward that a press release like this can refer to appealing to "black males" as if black males typically have one mindset across the board. Just like any race I don't believe there is a connection between action and color of skin, only to the color of a mind.

214851[/snapback]

Actually, it's never really been an issue with me. I mainly keep to myself and the people I know and hang around with either don't care or don't take any notice. It's not as though I act like a preppy white guy or something, though.

I have a very "race-neutral" attitude.

I just carry myself in way as to not propogate the stereotype of the loud, brash, ignorant black young adult who acts like he doesn't have any common sense. And I know it's a stereotype because out of the black people around my age I know personally, I can't think of any that fit that description.

Unfortunately, it's the stereotypes that get the most attention in the media and such.

Business-wise, it could be a smart move like any other corporate marketing angle; however, reality-wise, it's the stupidest thing to do because it's catering to a here-today-gone-tomorrow trend. Unless they're looking for a short-term sales boost, they really will have to work harder to keep the image fresh for it to even appeal to the particular segments and age groups for the long term.

If they want it to become appealing, lose the damn fluff and soft-on-the-eyes comfort appeal. Everybody knows that if something is in the 'must-have' category, you could paint the dashboard in the color of dog-feces and 'trendy' people will still want to buy it to look cool.

This brings another subject to my rant, that a 'trendy' car is hardly ever the best car. Sales never indicate whether or not a car is particularly the best on the road, so steering the marketed image toward coolness-appeal and diverting from anything to do with quality could end up alienating the people who actually do buy Buicks for good reason. (I mean, really, what hip-hop artist or sports-star gives a $h! about quality when they're going to tear everything off the ex/interior install aftermarket gizmos and gadgets?)

Maybe I don't like the idea because I don't like hip-hop; but still, heading toward bling could end up being a crash-and-burn if nothing changes from how the cars are designed. It'll end up just being an attempt at trying too hard, inevitably becoming a laughing stock. THEN who does GM turn to for sales when even the seniors won't want to come back?

What about the white guys who act black?! :lol:

Will they be invited to the focus groups? Or will they be turned away, because, well, they aren't black?

If that's the case, Buick could be doing the world a favor. The last thing I need to see is another stupid white guy walking around with a G-Unit hoodie, wearing chains, and a stupid RBK toque...

For the topic - Blacks have always been very influencial on American culture and pretty good bridge builders, through various art forms, between cultures, though there is some delay in the reaction.

We already saw the Lacrosse commercial that identified with a successful Black woman. Good commmercial for its intent. It is the one I complained about not showing the car in action.

The stereotype of Black "rappers/gangsters" I think most of us are able to see beyond. Of course they set trends for youth.......but so did the hard rock and metal bands, country musicians, ect, ect, ect, bla, bla, bla.

We all know there has been aspects of all and any trends to be questionable. The most important thing is the largest percentage grow up one day and become a contributing part of society. Eventually parents, that get their turn to try to keep their own children on line.

Those Rivs are sharp..a friend of mine in college that was black drove a sweet '81 Electra coupe.. kept it clean even through the crummy Ohio winters...dark red, red cloth interior, white top, whitewalls and Buick mags..sweet car.

Overtly racist, humorous but yet non-offensive threads like this

are such a hillariously enjoyable part of C&G. Hip-Hop types

already have a lot of respect for Buick.... 1950s and 1960s

ones anyway. IIRC Queen Latifah had a '70 Skylark on one of

those overhaulin/pimp-my-ride shows. And I KNOW I've seen a

few Buick Lowriders in music videos & magazines.

That KRISS-KROSS chop is hillarious!!!

How ironic that about a week ago I discussed that "JUMP" song

with XP & SP and they agreed with me that it should be an 100%

official Tight Whips approved song.

Remember that 1959 Chevy that had the body mounted backwards

on the frame was was driven across the Golden Gate for a

photoshoot with Motor Trend? (?) That's the car they should have

since they wear their clothes backwards.

214538[/snapback]

Once again in English?

gee, I understood all that, so much so I actually glanced through it quickly

But yea.........Buick is a name that means something in America. Unlike another name I can think of.

216571[/snapback]

"Overtly racist, humorous but yet non-offensive..." That made sense to you???

30% for the Lucerne is pretty damn impressive given that the basic fabric of this car is so old.

I think this is an excellent campaign, especially on the celebrity side of the coin, since every 12 year old (read: maturing car buyer) seems to think he's a thug now and listens to hip hop exclusively. That ties directly in to all the kids who are buying the big Buicks, Cadillacs & Chevrolets to "pimp them out"

If Buick can get cred with that crowd, then they'll be set.

Of course, I'm sure it'll cost them in the YUPPIE automotive media. Afterall, the Escalade went UBER-KOOL this year and has pretty much been chastised as a gangsta' mobile. But then, who cares, since no one really listens to the auto rags anymore. Well, no one except UP TIGHT white assholes who wouldn't be caught dead in a domestic anyway. They'd rather be seen in their Lexi, Subarus and 'techie' Acuras.

"We've got to bring new people to the franchise," he says. "It makes sense to test this with African-Americans because we have a reservoir of goodwill with them - more so than Caucasians, Hispanics or Asians."

Posted Image

So this guy wants to put 20's on some Lucernes and try to sell them to "urban" , "hip-hop artists".... :stupid:

I wonder how much $$$ this dork makes to come up with brilliant ideas like that.

GM needs fewer guys like this....

"We've got to bring new people to the franchise," he says. "It makes sense to test this with African-Americans because we have a reservoir of goodwill with them - more so than Caucasians, Hispanics or Asians."

Posted Image

So this guy wants to put 20's on some Lucernes and try to sell them to "urban" , "hip-hop artists"....  :stupid:

I wonder how much $$$ this dork makes to come up with brilliant ideas like that.

GM needs fewer guys like this....

217762[/snapback]

Mercury, Chrysler, and now Buick are all going down this road. Chrysler already started. I think they feel if black guys/girls like it you will then be considered cool and hip.

What bothers me is why tell everyone thats your plan?

Cadillac is doing ok with the hippity hopp crowds and I dont think they even had to try.

I too, as a 27 year old married, college-educated, home-owning, productive member of society am not the typical(read, stereo-typical) black male. Let me first adddress the topic:

I find it to be a great idea that Buick wishes to market to blacks for it has been my belief for years that we(blacks) are its most loyal base. But, I would rather Buick cater in such a way that still suits its elegant, conservative history. Contrary to what most believe, not all black males under 30 want blinged out, chromed-out, pimped out rides. I would rather them appeal to those of us(blacks) like me, who appreciate a handsome design, housing a tasteful and sumptuous interior. Take the Enclave. I have been salivating over if for a couple years now and that is definitely something that Buick should be proud of. It's classy and tasteful, but has panache and looks substantial. It is, to me, a great balance of classic buick sculpture w/modern stylistic cues. So I say go Buick and while your at it, lose tiger woods as the spokesman. If I am the not-so-typical black man, Tiger Woods would be the antithesis of a modern black man. I'd rather see Shaq or Lebron James, two athletes who are superstars on the court, but present a very personable aura off the court.

As for the issue of race and the situation raised by cannonpie concerning kids and the saying 'acting black' or 'acting white'. This mentality dates back to slave days. Every black man who has ever attempted to navigate the American social terrain has had to balance his duties in a predominately white society against his allegiance to his black brothers and sisters. Its like walking a tight rope and you can't lean too much to either side. I am attempting said balancing act right now as I type this from my Fortune 500 company job. But, the smarter of us(blacks) are able to 1st realize that there is no 'acting' like a racial group, there is only the perception(be it founded or unfounded) that people have about a certain group and to acknowledge said bias would be akin to confirming it. The 2nd thing that we realize is that any person ignorant enough to dismiss us simply because of our race--based on whatever grain of fact or fiction-- is not one we would even waste time arguing with in the first place.

I would rather them appeal to those of us(blacks) like me, who appreciate a handsome design, housing a tasteful and sumptuous interior.

217913[/snapback]

I guessing here, but I bet there are many people that appreciate a handsome design that houses a tasteful interior. It describes me, and I'm not black. I assume most people who appreciate Buicks, regardless of their race, appreciate those things. So it seems like a bad idea to bling out Buicks so that they appeal to "hip hop" artists. Targeting black people is okay I guess, but why black people who like hip hop??? If they're gonna focus in on such a "specific" kind of person, why not target well educated, affluent, discerning "black" people?? Seems like a more natural fit for Buick (especially the Enclave. That vehicle is beautiful the way it is. Why "bling it out?). This just seems like a really strange, stupid idea..

If they're gonna focus in on such a "specific" kind of person, why not target well educated, affluent, discerning "black" people??  Seems like a more natural fit for Buick

218111[/snapback]

Because the sad reality is that many young blacks are driven by materialism and conspicuous consumption. That is, a great many young black men and women purchase products that will get them noticed, and hopefully envied by others. So much so that they will put off home-purchasing, retirement/401(k) investing and other forms of saving that are essential to one's long-term financial well being. These people are always looking for the biggest, flashiest, blingiest thing out there and would sell their first-born to be in possession of such product.

Steve Shannon would like to appeal to that for some reason. I just hope it doesn't serve to bite him in the ass. I agree with the earlier post someone put about the 'Slade. Cadillac had no clue it would be such a hit with the hip hop set. I propose the same can be done with the Enclave. Leave it as it is. It is beautiful enough for most of us Loyalists to appreciate and if some young hip-hopper wants to pimp it out, it looks as if its ready for that as well.

Now that was the most interesting batch of posts I have read back to back. I only agree with about 10% of any of them.

First - YES ! - This guy should keep his mouth shut, like a few others I can think of at GM

If Buick options out a few models toward the bling factor, so be it. Its just to get some heads turning, the conservatives will still be able to have their tastes addressed as well.

Besides Buick has not ever, until the dull 90's been about conservative.

There is a cultural difference between black and white and its a good thing. Just for example we would still be singing "hymns" thinking they were the last of the noteworthy music......... :lol:laugh everyone. We all have to balance the best we can, tread lightly, and in the end that is what is achieved or at least approached - balance.

*Now if only those fortune 500 companies would realize, those at the bottom getting the job done deserve a little bit more on their side of the scale.......then we could achieve a far better "balance" for our society and alleviate some of the issues that are stressing it.......... :AH-HA_wink:

Because the sad reality is that many young blacks are driven by materialism and conspicuous consumption. That is, a great many young black men and women purchase products that will get them noticed, and hopefully envied by others. So much so that they will put off home-purchasing, retirement/401(k) investing and other forms of saving that are essential to one's long-term financial well being. These people are always looking for the biggest, flashiest, blingiest thing out there and would sell their first-born to be in possession of such product.

218185[/snapback]

Well first of all, if a white dude said what you just said......well.....I can't even imagine..... but all I'm saying is that if what you just said is true, the argument then becomes, can those folks really influence a large percentage of the "younger generation" to buy Buicks?? I don't think they can and even though I don't want anything else bad to happen for Buick, I hope this bites that dork right square in his ass!!!!

Well first of all, if a white dude said what you just said......well.....I can't even imagine..... but all I'm saying is that if what you just said is true, the argument then becomes, can those folks really influence a large percentage of the "younger generation" to buy Buicks??  I don't think they can and even though I don't want anything else bad to happen for Buick, I hope this bites that dork right square in his ass!!!!

218347[/snapback]

Gmman, I agree with the former of your statement, that is most blacks aren't as honest about those issues we as a race suffer from and would most certainly damn you to hell for bringing it to their attention. I have siblings that fail to realize that very thing.

However I have to disagree with the latter portion of your statement, concerning those folks influencing the rest of the population. Hip hop has been infiltrating the world around us for the last several years. Hip hop concerts are selling out in Asian, European, African and South American venues. I, as a 27 y/o black man driving a 5 year old Buick with all the original factory trim, am often 'out-blinged' at a stop light by a pimped out scion or civic being piloted by a college-aged white male blasting TI's or Snoop's latest. The hip-hop culture has cropped up everywhere from political venues to tupperware parties(pun intended).

But seriously, it is undeniable that we(blacks) as a people are vital to any company in America who makes consumer goods. Hell, that gorgeous interior and exterior we call the Enclave? It was 'dreamed up' by black men. Buick even admits that. So, I think its too early to tell if Buicks 'bling campaign' will pay in the form of customer traffic. I did see one of the characters on HBO's 'THE WIRE' driving one. That just might be a clue........... :lol:

I guess I'm just looking at this from a different perspective....I'm not arguing with the fact that hip hop is popular, but as you inadvertently pointed out, blacks aren't the only people that like hip hop....and those that are driving scions and civics probably can't afford a Lucerne.....much less a Lucerne with $10k worth of blingage. I do agree with you that the black community is important to American companies. But if it were me, I wouldn't go after the black community by way of insinuating that they must be jammin' to snoop dogg on the way to the Goodyear store for some 22's.

Mr. Krinkle made a good point. Cadillac is doing well with the hip hop crowd without trying very hard. Caddy is just making high quality, gorgeous vehicles....and when you do that....they appeal to the masses... :yes:

Maybe I'm wrong and this will turn out to be a brilliant idea, but for now I'm sticking with my gut which tells me:

(best case) it's not going to work or :nono:

(worst case) it's gonna alienate other "loyal" customers..

When it comes down to it...people are all the same. Why feel the need to explicitly market something to one group in particular is beyond me. They never were before and if they were...they sure as hell didnt come right out and say it.

God almighty. Tact? anyone.

Tastefully done cars with a touch of class and elegance would appeal to anyone.

Now just build them already for Christs sake. The Enclave is a good start. :smilewide: Again.

For the umpteenth time. 8)

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

I guess I'm just looking at this from a different perspective....I'm not arguing with the fact that hip hop is popular, but as you inadvertently pointed out, blacks aren't the only people that like hip hop....and those that are driving scions and civics probably can't afford a Lucerne.....much less a Lucerne with $10k worth of blingage.  I do agree with you that the black community is important to American companies.  But if it were me, I wouldn't go after the black community by way of insinuating that they must be jammin' to snoop dogg on the way to the Goodyear store for some 22's.

Point taken :thumbsup:

When it comes down to it...people are all the same. Why feel the need to explicitly market something to one group in particular is beyond me. They never were before and if they were...they sure as hell didnt come right out and say it.

God almighty. Tact? anyone.

Partially agree. Though we look a little different externally, people are people. Regardless of race. However, America will never loose the entire concept of 'race'. It was too much a factor in the way this country came to be and is ingrained in its history. Captialism, which drives every thing in this country, will always divide us along the lines of race, socio-economic status, sex, age and any other demographic they feel will allow them to sell more product. American Comanies have always divided us along racial lines. Its just in years of recent did they loose their 'tact' and began coming out and saying it. :scratchchin:

I say build a hot car with a nicely styled exterior, a quality interior, a choice of good powerplant, RWD, a decent residual value so that people want to lease or buy it and the rest will probably take care of itself...no matter if you are white, black, asian, gay, straight, man, woman, etc.

If you need a marketing "angle" your goods probably don't stack up on their own merrit...would Madonna ever have sold millions and millions of CD's based soley on the talent of her singing ability? Hell no, she needed an angle and image. Celine Dion, never mind the elderly husband and bad Vegas show, does not need an angle..she has a voice...if you like her music or not.

Point taken :thumbsup:

Partially agree. Though we look a little different externally, people are people. Regardless of race. However, America will never loose the entire concept of 'race'. It was too much a factor in the way this country came to be and is ingrained in its history. Captialism, which drives every thing in this country, will always divide us along the lines of race, socio-economic status, sex, age and any other demographic they feel will allow them to sell more product.  American Comanies have always divided us along racial lines. Its just in years of recent did they loose their 'tact' and began coming out and saying it.  :scratchchin:

218650[/snapback]

The Subaru commercials here are geared towards women/lesbians. The lady comes on the radio and starts telling us about the NY state official bug--the lady bug, the official animal --the beaver. I forget the rest but they get great mileage too. Its a stereotype that happens to hold some truth to it but I cant recall a time

when Toyota held the press conference to announce this. Same with VWs geared towards the gay community, for a while anyway--i dont watch much tv and i dont hear many VW ads on the radio. Except for those stupid first act guitars.

It just seems like a bonehead move and would like to know how they reached the conclusion this was the way to go.

Besides like has been said numerous times here, a good looking car with some style or panache or class or elegance will attract the only color that matters.

Your green.

When it comes down to it...people are all the same.  Why feel the need to explicitly market something to one group in  particular is beyond me.  They never were before and if they were...they sure as hell didnt come right out and say it.

God almighty.  Tact? anyone.

Tastefully done cars with a touch of class and elegance would appeal to anyone.

Now just build them already for Christs sake.  The Enclave is a good start.  :smilewide:  Again.

For the umpteenth time. 8)

218624[/snapback]

Absolutely!!

I will give you a perfect example from GM's own cradle.

Cadillac Escalade

I have not only seen African American people drive it but I know the following people who are not African American and own it:

1. One white surgeon

2. One Canadian Doctor

3. One white single mom Engineer

4. Two consultants (One of them Indian and other white)

5. There is one Syrian engineer who is planning to buy one.

And all magazines apply the BLING tag to the Escalade. But if they have a good product I do not think they should brand the people who GM might think will buy it. I think tagging a vehicle to a particular race to me is racism indirectly.

Rather GM should just have a broad national campaign.

Edited by 79VetteZ06