08 Malibu Pics

Stubbles

Not bland, simple. Simple is good. Complexity can ruin a design, as in the new Sebring. The most complex thing that you should add to a vehicle design are fender vents, a la Corvette, Antara and Lucerne. Even a fake radiator grille as opposed to a simple air intake should be used with care, and at best, is also kept simple (Chrysler 300-good, Kia Amanti-bad).

Not bland, simple. Simple is good. Complexity can ruin a design, as in the new Sebring. The most complex thing that you should add to a vehicle design are fender vents, a la Corvette, Antara and Lucerne. Even a fake radiator grille as opposed to a simple air intake should be used with care, and at best, is also kept simple (Chrysler 300-good, Kia Amanti-bad).

219515[/snapback]

That thing looks sweet, hmmm maybe my Grand Prix replacement. Or maybe a pre-owned DTS.

This design lends itself deliciously well to a coupe. Why should Pontiac have the only Epsilon coupe? It would be inexpensive to produce and it could slot in perfectly below the Camaro as something more conservative and please those who think they'd rather drive FWD. It would also be a fresh replacement for Monte Carlo drivers who will miss their cars. Beretta sold well just a notch above Cavalier, this would fill a sweet little niche.

This design lends itself deliciously well to a coupe.  Why should Pontiac have the only Epsilon coupe?  It would be inexpensive to produce and it could slot in perfectly below the Camaro as something more conservative and please those who think they'd rather drive FWD.  It would also be a fresh replacement for Monte Carlo drivers who will miss their cars.  Beretta sold well just a notch above Cavalier, this would fill a sweet little niche.

219616[/snapback]

Not a bad idea.

I agree-I fully support a Monte Carlo-replacing 2-door notchback coupe AND 5-door, 2-3-seat (up to 8 passengers, with an optional front split-bench seat on select sedans and wagons) station wagon body styles. Can't wait to see Malibu unveiled-I just hope Chevy gets the equipment and other details right, because they royally screwed that up with the Silverado (i.e. why on earth are there front disc/rear drum brakes still??!!??? Its not 1977!!!! 2007!!!) Chevy would be wise to make 4-wheel disc brakes WITH ABS standard on every single model! Anyway, great stance, awesome grille, let's hope its the hit GM so desperately needs!

I agree-I fully support a Monte Carlo-replacing 2-door notchback coupe AND 5-door, 2-3-seat (up to 8 passengers, with an optional front split-bench seat on select sedans and wagons) station wagon body styles. Can't wait to see Malibu unveiled-I just hope Chevy gets the equipment and other details right, because they royally screwed that up with the Silverado (i.e. why on earth are there front disc/rear drum brakes still??!!??? Its not 1977!!!! 2007!!!) Chevy would be wise to make 4-wheel disc brakes WITH ABS standard on every single model! Anyway, great stance, awesome grille, let's hope its the hit GM so desperately needs!

220809[/snapback]

The Silverado gets rear disc brakes as part of the Vortec Max package if they're a "must have" item for you. The disc/drum combination on the 2007 Sierra I test drove was WAY better than the 4 wheel disc on my 2000 Sierra...the 2006 Sierra I drove in July was equally better with rear drums. My friend's 2004 Sierra with rear discs is just as sucky as those on my 2000 from day 1. The ABS sensors have also been problematic...the recall for the sensors helped a bit, but it would stop shorter without ABS...ABS has nearly caused several accidents instead of helping avoid them.

This design lends itself deliciously well to a coupe.  Why should Pontiac have the only Epsilon coupe?  It would be inexpensive to produce and it could slot in perfectly below the Camaro as something more conservative and please those who think they'd rather drive FWD.  It would also be a fresh replacement for Monte Carlo drivers who will miss their cars.  Beretta sold well just a notch above Cavalier, this would fill a sweet little niche.

219616[/snapback]

But do we really need another Beretta?

I think the Cobalt fits the bill already.

Perhaps I sunk the idea for a lot of people by uttering the word "Beretta". For some folks perhaps, that model name reminds us of dark days. But, my mom had an '88 Beretta GT, she loved that thing and put 105k miles on it in a couple of years. Damn good little car for her.

This newest Malibu is, of course, lightyears ahead of that car, and much bigger than a Cobalt. More the size of the soon-to-be defunct Monte Carlo, but with a much more contemporary style.

I still think it would look great and it would sell well. I can understand if GM wants to protect Pontiac, though, with the G6 coupe being their only midsize, FWD coupe.

I missed these shots if they were linked to earlier. 'bu looks good- it really does have a substantial, solid appearance to the proportions. But what jumps out at me the most is the SS concept grille- makes me again wonder if there's any possibility the next Impala will pull strongly from the concept.

Well I know that there's the G6 coupe, but the new Malibu is more advanced then the G6 it would be smart to have a new updated midsize coupe to compete with the new Altima coupe, Accord coupe, and Toyota coupe, not to mention that rumor of a Fusion coupe, would it not?

Well, a 'Bu coupe would clash with Cobalt's. Never mind that there is a G5 vs G6, that won't last.

222893[/snapback]

How? A Malibu coupe would have a V6 at least optional if not standard, it would be much bigger, much nicer, and actually have a usable rear seat. Plus, I don't think they'd be priced too similarly. The Cobalt starts at $12k and goes up to about $20k (unless you get the SS S/C) and a Malibu would start at about $18k (with an I4, probably over $20k with a V6).

There is a sizable price difference between G5 and G6 coupes. A fairly loaded G5 runs about $19.5k with 5 speed. A G6 GT with Sport package (six speed manual) will run just about $24.7k. I'd expect a Malibu coupe to run a few hundred less than a comparable G6.

I'd love for someone to chop a Malibu coupe. Just put a sporty greenhouse on it, no weird rear end like the Altima.

This car had better have the goods to fully compete with the ever tiresome Accord and Camry. Things like floor shift indicators, glove box lights, rear seat armrests on all models along with split bench, DOHC power plants with 6 speed automatics, powerful base engine with at least 175 hp and a large trunk. Build quality of course needs to be perfect and for all the kids, integrated dashes, blue tooth and Navigation will have to be available. Can't wait to see the finished product next month!

I took another look at this. The interior is stellar. Reintroducing color and fit/finish like color-keyed piping is top notch. The volumes all across the dash are really nice.

I was looking at the exterior. Eh! It's too reminiscent of the new Chrysler Sebring which has a lot of the same touches. The overall silhouette is not bad, but the C-pillar is Impala thick and both the front end and the grille, if I can fill in the gaps as I think they may turn out, don't cut it. The pinhole Chevy rear lights (a la Cobalt) don't provide enough surface coverage and continuity across that tall trunk lid. The upper and lower divide in the front grille appears to draw too much from past Silverado trucks, for God's sake. Can they rise to the challenge of inserting some Chevrolet cues without necessarily borrowing them directly from another car or other type of vehicle?

If nothing else, that interior will certainly raise the bar for other manufactuers.  Especially those who still see the Malibu as the Wal-Mart Special.

224958[/snapback]

Now it's akin to Wal-Mart's upscale media push.

• 2 weeks later...