GM halts sales of Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia

vineyard311

Just read this on leftlanenews.com, apparently an exhaust issue.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/12/11/gm-...ook-gmc-acadia/

General Motors has temporarily halted sales of its critical Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia crossovers. The company said in hastily put together communiqué to dealers it was issuing an "immediate stop" of all sales of the vehicles. GM did not specify a reason for the action, but said more details would follow.

UPDATE!

Cars.com’s Joe Wiesenfelder has the details on the problem that has temporarily stopped the sale of GM’s new Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia from being sold to the public. The issue seems to be a motor mount that can collect water and freeze during cold weather. This would lead to vibration and roughness during driving.

There is a relatively simple fix — drilling drainage holes so the water never collects — that can be done at the dealership. The extreme move of stopping sales was to ensure a successful launch of both vehicles. There is still no word on when both models will go on sale.

--Flybrian

Exhaust system rattle doesn't sound too bad.  I'm guessing GM wants this launch to be spot-free and is pulling a "Toyota" to make it so.

226376[/snapback]

I think so too. And if they offer a free repair for all of the vehicles that may have been sold already, they'll generate good PR.

Interesting, whatever the issue may be.

Reminds me of when the GMT-360's had just been released, and after the first couple of weeks, GM found an issue with the front suspension that could cause breakage and the front end to collapse. Since quite a few had been grabbed up by early buyers, they told people not to drive them, and that their dealer would come to pick it up ASAP and perform the fix. It didn't take too long to solve the issue and stop it from perpetuating, but it was a really bad launch hiccup.

This doesn't seem as serious, but it still makes you wonder what was happening that it didn't get caught until some had just hit the lots (and a few had been sold, I presume--people have been test driving them and writing online reviews). Regardless, good it was caught and will be resolved.

Exhaust system rattle doesn't sound too bad.  I'm guessing GM wants this launch to be spot-free and is pulling a "Toyota" to make it so.

226376[/snapback]

If they were pulling a "Toyota" they'd deny the problem for months while doing a silent recall.

Its not an exhaust rattle an engine mount is collecting water(which can freeze and cause noise and vibration)http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2..._outlook_.html

A minor problem that is already being addressed. Is every F#@%ing GM fan site going south with the bashing and negitive crap?!

Please read more before condeming GM. They called is as soon as they discovered the problem and rectified it and everyone is all"GM sucks" nand "GM blew it again" What are they, psychic? Christ guys , give them a chance. They arent sitting on it! :hissyfit:

Its not an exhaust rattle an engine mount is collecting water(which can freeze and cause noise and vibration)http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2..._outlook_.html

A minor problem that is already being addressed. Is every F#@%ing GM fan site going south with the bashing and negitive crap?!

Please read more before condeming GM. They called is as soon as they discovered the problem and rectified it and everyone is all"GM sucks" nand "GM blew it again" What are they, psychic? Christ guys , give them a chance. They arent sitting on it! :hissyfit:

226474[/snapback]

Settle down....I don't think that anyone here is bashing GM for this. Overall. I would say that most who have replied in here so far are happy that GM is fixing the issue early. I think it is great that GM is being so proactive about it.

It's always ood when any company catches a problem and acts on it immediately.

226474[/snapback]

Chill dude :P

226474[/snapback]

Please note that we updated the HOT TOPIC description to reflect this situation more accurately as soon as the new info was gathered.

Its now clear why this wasn't caught before; likely because this is a cold climate problem and the vehicles just went on sale.

My apologies to everyone here at C&G for my tantrum. I get a little defensive about GM bashing (which was not happening here) and mainly when it is about my stomping grounds(delta resident). I hope yo can accept this . I'm sorry guys. :chillpill:

Very good, and glad they caught it & fixed it. Most people will never even know a thing about it, aside from reading it on boards like this.

The wonders of engineering--check, check, check, re-check and test everything, yet sometimes tiny little things like this just pop up unexpectedly. Not really newsworthy, but interesting enough.

something like this would be pretty hard to catch it you think about it. considering that winter has just started and they probably didn't really realize it until they got a few of them out the of the factory and into the cold in order to feel the abnormal vibration.

Edited by scharmer05

Maybe GM should do less testing in the searing hot deserts of Arizona, and more testing in their own frozen backyard of Midwest winters.  :banghead:  They shouldn't have missed this.

226577[/snapback]

It may only have cropped up after freezing rain or some other weirdness. Or, it might be the production part that's causing the problem and the preproduction parts were OK. It might just be that the production part is just that much different as to result in a problem. It happens.

Better them doing it now than later and having all the media jumping on this and predicting doomsday for GM again! Usually when GM has a recall its all negative and why didn't GM fix this sooner, they are going to hell and taking all their customers with them. They found a problem and are addressing it, they are showing that they want the best for everybody...I applaud them!!

Better them doing it now than later and having all the media jumping on this and predicting doomsday for GM again! Usually when GM has a recall its all negative and why didn't GM fix this sooner, they are going to hell and taking all their customers with them. They found a problem and are addressing it, they are showing that they want the best for everybody...I applaud them!!

226649[/snapback]

Thank you for your support, all of you!

226649[/snapback]

My only observation is that while I 100% agree that GM is doing the right thing by the customer at the risk of some media fallout, I find it troubling that this board gives little credit to other manufacturers when they do the same thing.

The unmitigated joy expressed here when Toyota has a recall or a TSB seems cynical and deeply ironic, given that, other than the 'who', the issue is generally the same or similar.

I just can't stand the media bias warcry. It drives me crazy that every GM misstep is excused through that explanation. There's got to be a point in time where GM must own their own mistakes, examine how they occurred and take steps not to repeat the error. I think they're on the right path with many of the new and expected products....lets hope that they aren't blaming 'media bias' in the halls of GM right now as they plan the intros of crucial product.

My only observation is that while I 100% agree that GM is doing the right thing by the customer at the risk of some media fallout, I find it troubling that this board gives little credit to other manufacturers when they do the same thing.

The unmitigated joy expressed here when Toyota has a recall or a TSB seems cynical and deeply ironic, given that, other than the 'who', the issue is generally the same or similar.

I just can't stand the media bias warcry. It drives me crazy that every GM misstep is excused through that explanation. There's got to be a point in time where GM must own their own mistakes, examine how they occurred and take steps not to repeat the error. I think they're on the right path with many of the new and expected products....lets hope that they aren't blaming 'media bias' in the halls of GM right now as they plan the intros of crucial product.

226701[/snapback]

No auto manufacturer is perfect but I can think of one who likes to subtly use spin PR to give the impression or implication that they are perfect.

Here's another article that covers it in more detail with GM spokesperson quotes:

Article

The problem affects the engine mounts on the first 550 of the new vehicles that have already been shipped to dealers, GM spokeswoman Lynda Messina said.

The Lansing, Michigan-area GM plant that produces the Outlook and Acadia has fixed vehicles awaiting shipment to dealers and addressed the problem for its upcoming production, Messina said.

"In a rare circumstance, water can accumulate in the (engine) mount and in a cold-weather climate that can freeze," Messina said, adding that GM had discovered that the resulting ice was liable to cause "undesirable engine vibration."

No auto manufacturer is perfect but I can think of one who likes to subtly use spin PR to give the impression or implication that they are perfect.

226702[/snapback]

right. That's what effective PR does in an organization. Blaming Toyota's flacks for being more media friendly or more aggressive or whatever is like blaming a star salesman for selling more product---it's dumb.

I believe its a cultural thing...GM used to dictate content to magazines, newspapers, et al because they were the biggest spender...now, not so much. The bully culture was perpetually preventing GM from playing the PR/spin game in a new media era. The rise of e-media has only made that failure more obvious. It looks, again, as if the powers that be understand its a new game, but only time will tell if they will be able to turn the tide.

...I find it troubling that this board gives little credit to other manufacturers when they do the same thing.

There are PLENTY of boards that sing high holy praises of other manufacturer's actions in this regard, meanwhile pointing at GM and triumphantly proclaiming 'See; this is why GM has fallen so far' at every single percieved shortcoming (nevermind the real ones).

If this board is a lone voice against the witch-hunt examination & crushing damnation of GM by playing a little 'turn about is fair play' WRT other's problems, who --as a GM fan-- would object?

...I find it troubling that this board gives little credit to other manufacturers when they do the same thing.

There are PLENTY of boards that sing high holy praises of other manufacturer's actions in this regard, meanwhile pointing at GM and triumphantly proclaiming 'See; this is why GM has fallen so far' at every single percieved shortcoming (nevermind the real ones).

If this board is a lone voice against the witch-hunt examination & crushing damnation of GM by playing a little 'turn about is fair play' WRT other's problems, who --as a GM fan-- would object?

227114[/snapback]

I don't object to fans being fans. I take issue with the constant whining about the media. GM has an equal opportunity to spin or finesse the PR of any situation. The fact that they are constantly behind the curve in this regard is their fault, not anyone else's.

As I stated above, GM seems to have its act together and I wholeheartedly agree with their cautious approach to this minor issue. If the product coming soon is as excellent as rumored, great. If it isn't, they're not going to get a 'next time' to fix things.

:D Now back to our Regularly scheduled Discussion.

GM IS Right in how they are handling this and it will be nothing but positive for them. Early purchases of these vehicles will find that a proactive approach by GM to make sure the end user is totally satisfied and are going ahead with making sure things are resolved properly will have nothing but praise for how GM has handled them and these are the people who will recommend and say "See, GM took care of me and my vehicle still is trouble free 80,000 miles later.

Rock on GM! :metal:

:gmc:

That's not good, but at least it doesn't sound too major. More an assembly problem than a problem that will re-occur after they fix their assembly processes.

226548[/snapback]

are you sure its not a problem with the sales process at the dealer or maybe some transit problem? :P

i think i get what you are trying to say, that the problem will be rectified and this is a non-issue, but your post makes it sound like you think it was an assembly error and not a design error.

are you sure its not a problem with the sales process at the dealer or maybe some transit problem? :P

i think i get what you are trying to say, that the problem will be rectified and this is a non-issue, but your post makes it sound like you think it was an assembly error and not a design error.

227300[/snapback]

Basically what I was trying to say is once the error is corrected, it won't reoccur. It's not something that's going to be an ongoing problem once it's fixed.