Sign in to follow this  
avant1963

Company hired to build US "Border Fence"

72 posts in this topic

Illegals.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6626823

Border Fence Firm Snared for Hiring Illegal Workers

A fence-building company in Southern California agrees to pay nearly $5 million in fines for hiring illegal immigrants. Two executives from the company may also serve jail time. The Golden State Fence Company's work includes some of the border fence between San Diego and Mexico.

After an immigration check in 1999 found undocumented workers on its payroll, Golden State promised to clean house. But when followup checks were made in 2004 and 2005, some of those same illegal workers were still on the job. In fact, U-S Attorney Carol Lam says as many as a third of the company's 750 workers may have been in the country illegally.

Golden State Fence built millions of dollars' worth of fencing around homes, offices, and military bases. Its president and one of its Southern California managers will pay fines totaling $300,000. The government is also recommending jail time for Melvin Kay and Michael McLaughlin, probably about six months.

It is exceptionally rare for those who employ illegal immigrants to face any kind of criminal prosecution, let alone jail time. Earlier this week, for example, immigration raids on six meat-packing plants netted almost 1,300 suspected illegal workers. But no charges were leveled against the company that runs the plants: Swift.

Golden State Fence's attorney, Richard Hirsch, admits his client broke the law. But he says the case proves that construction companies need a guest-worker program.

What a surprise. Fining companies and putting CEOs that knowingly look the other way (or implicit in their hiring) when hiring illegal immigrants is what will stop the flow. NOT building a fence around the US. :banghead:

Show me a 8 foot fence, and I'll show you a 10 foot ladder.

God this fence is such a waste of money. I don't understand the recent anti-immigrant stance of people in this country anyway.

Republican candidates were making a huge deak out of immigration during the election and the talk seems to have stuck. Jobs are being shipped overseas so the job market sucks and people find it easy to blame immigrants instead of the companies who hire then or ship jobs overseas or the government that hasn't done much to keep jobs here.

Read the book by Daniel Stoffman: "Who Gets In." He spent his Atkinson Fellowship studying Canadian Immigration for the past 10 years. Very interesting reading. It dispells the myths that the immigration industry has entrenched in our media and so-called chattering classes. And make no mistake: there is an entire industry on both sides of our borders that include doctors, lawyers and other academics whose livelihoods depend on the constant inflow of immigrants.

It cost me and my partner over $5,000 to legally "land" him in Canada from Brazil, so we contributed to that industry. But I have lived both sides of this issue and I can SEE with my own eyes what it is doing to Canada. Our much smaller population makes Canada far more sensitive to the recent influx; however, the millions of Mexicans and Central Americans landing on America's shores is having about the same net effect.

It is interesting that the results of 9/11 are that the subject is finally being broached, albeit in the guise of "national security" issues and Liberals are having to acquiesce about the situation to a point; however, when watching Fox News and others, the Elephant in the Room that no one quite dares speak about yet is that the recent immigrants are not integrating, as previous generations have, but they are profoundly changing the fabric of the communities in which they have moved.

The world has changed, thanks to the internet, $5 phone cards, internet banking and cheap airfare. A husband can fly here from a desperately poor country, such as Somalia, work for 3 years, not pay a dime in taxes, then return to his country a rich man. He need not learn anything about our culture, not even the language, he can send all his money back to his family, use free medical clinics, obtain false I.D. (very easily done), even form a "company" so he can receive legal cheques from unsuspecting companies.

Don't talk to me about immigration. Many of my friends are illegals and I know how easy it is to abuse our system because we are stupid and allow it.

Well this was the joke all the comedians were making when this idea passed in Congress. People like Bill Maher were saying "who do you think is going to build the fence!?!"

Can't say I'm surprised to see it come true. :rolleyes::lol:

Once again . . . most illegal immigrants DO pay taxes to the US.

Illegal immigration has plenty of good and bad effects for our country; it's just that since our economy's not as strong right now, the negatives are felt more strongly than before.

Everybody's gotta have a scapegoat.

A few nights ago I enjoyed a story from a coworker about when he crossed the border. Pretty sure he's legal by now, though - he's been in the US for like 15-20 years, has family & stuff, and has worked in places that would definitely do background checks & such. He's a really smart, kind, hard working guy, and one of the best coworkers I have.

Maybe we should install a gate in the fence with some sort of intelligence test - let all the smart people cross the border. :lol:

Mexico needs to do more to keep their people home, to build a stronger Mexico, instead of leaching off of us. I have no problem with US automakers' plants down there, because I know the engineering profits come back home to our country. The Mexican government needs to somehow create a better work environment for their people so more of them are willing to stay home and build their communities.

>>"most illegal immigrants DO pay taxes to the US."<<

And how could that possibly be proven??

No papers, no legal existance, no English, but they know how to thumb a ride to the post office to pick up their 1040s so they can send 30% of their $80/day to the government. Uhhhhhh, sure.

The government just doesn't get it...

228575[/snapback]

and what else is new... other than military spending it could be all seen as useless by lots of the early heroes of this country.

know what i mean? :lol2:

Only if we c an send the dumb Americans to Mexico.

228646[/snapback]

You should. We send all our unemployed and dumb Canadians to Buffalo and Windsor. :P^_^

Id like to see all the pro imigration people identify themselves. As in - what part of town they live, what tax bracket they are in, AGE ! , nationality, what professions they are in. Its easy to make all these blanket statements when there is no way in hell you have been effected or around long enough to see the early results.

legal immigrants pay little in taxes what an ignorant statement. Not to mention that this immigration thing is the biggest problem with our SSI and then there all the law suits......you know the American legal process lottery....insurance jack pot....some illegals family was awarded over a million for him being shot in a hunting accident while trespassing on private land in a country he had no business being in........ :stupid: I would have hunted the rest of the family till there was no one left to sue........though that could typically take hundreds of bullets........

These other nationalities as well as some of our welfare own, need to learn to pull it out and stop thinking their purpose on earth is being a baby factory........with American social services this all seems so easy but when you have to feed, cloth and house them from your own paycheck it reveils another story. One of survival of the fittest and the wisest. Just think about the next unicef commercial you see.......with all the babys playing in their own sewage, ah poor pathatic ones..........NO ! PULL IT OUT YOU STUPID BASTARDS ! If you can only feed one or two children thats all you have DUMB ASS ! Something just doesnt sit right when you see footage of a shanty town with hundreds of infants and few adults............DUH ! Or the huge Mexican family buying a big cart of groceries with fathers minimum wage paycheck.........yarite !

Lastly the fence is a very stupid idea, a great waste of money.

We have a trailor park locally that had Coyotes roaming through even in the middle of day, like they owned the place. Well they shot a few and now the Coyotes know enough "to stay the hell away from there". Everything is a learning process. If a child never gets away with mischieveness it will quickly learn right from wrong and stay away from the stuff that gets it scolded. Left to run free, wild and do as they please they become problems most of their lives. Its a learning process. Shoot the first few hundred illegals in the first week or two and its a good bet the problem will go away. Anyone having a problem with that can move to Mexico, India, Turkey, China...where ever ... and teach them the advantages of PULLING IT OUT !!!!!!! Then their massive populations will shrink and they will no longer feel the need to overpopulate our country and create an environment where our children need to compete with them for college grants and jobs.

Republican candidates were making a huge deak out of immigration during the election and the talk seems to have stuck.  Jobs are being shipped overseas so the job market sucks and people find it easy to blame immigrants instead of the companies who hire then or ship jobs overseas or the government that hasn't done much to keep jobs here.

228535[/snapback]

for once I agree with you... although it is NOT just

Republicans who are to blame. This country is

going to hell in a handbasket and BOTH the liberal

Democrats & uptight Republicans are to blame.

Politicians in general have failed us. :angry:

Id like to see all the pro imigration people identify themselves. As in - what part of town they live, what tax bracket they are in, AGE ! , nationality, what professions they are in. Its easy to make all these blanket statements when there is no way in hell you have been effected or around long enough to see the early results.

legal immigrants pay little in taxes what an ignorant statement. Not to mention that this immigration thing is the biggest problem with our SSI and then there all the law suits......you know the American legal process lottery....insurance jack pot....some illegals family was awarded over a million for him being shot in a hunting accident while trespassing on private land in a country he had no business being in........ :stupid:  I would have hunted the rest of the family till there was no one left to sue........though that could typically take hundreds of bullets........

These other nationalities as well as some of our welfare own, need to learn to pull it out and stop thinking their purpose on earth is being a baby factory........with American social services this all seems so easy but when you have to feed, cloth and house them from your own paycheck it reveils another story. One of survival of the fittest and the wisest. Just think about the next unicef commercial you see.......with all the babys playing in their own sewage, ah poor pathatic ones..........NO ! PULL IT OUT YOU STUPID BASTARDS ! If you can only feed one or two children thats all you have DUMB ASS ! Something just doesnt sit right when you see footage of a shanty town with hundreds of infants and few adults............DUH ! Or the huge Mexican family buying a big cart of groceries with fathers minimum wage paycheck.........yarite !

Lastly the fence is a very stupid idea, a great waste of money.

We have a trailor park locally that had Coyotes roaming through even in the middle of day, like they owned the place. Well they shot a few and now the Coyotes know enough "to stay the hell away from there". Everything is a learning process. If a child never gets away with mischieveness it will quickly learn right from wrong and stay away from the stuff that gets it scolded. Left to run free, wild and do as they please they become problems most of their lives. Its a learning process. Shoot the first few hundred illegals in the first week or two and its a good bet the problem will go away. Anyone having a problem with that can move to Mexico, India, Turkey, China...where ever ... and teach them the advantages of PULLING IT OUT !!!!!!! Then their massive populations will shrink and they will no longer feel the need to overpopulate our country and create an environment where our children need to compete with them for college grants and jobs.

228844[/snapback]

What nationality are you? How did your family get to this country?

What nationality are you? How did your family get to this country?

228859[/snapback]

Why would you ask me this question and not identify yourself.............?

I have no problem with answering but somehow you offered nothing.

My family was never handed a social services check, has been here 150 years, served the countries military, starved in the great depression, struggled on snow drifted farms to get by the rightous way, sacrificed during the World Wars, worked hard in factories or in the field to build a better stronger America as well as serving the community the state and the Church.

They did not simply walk across some line and have babies they could not afford just to gain "legal immigrant" status, buy a gas station with community money to play some tax game with and retire rich in the "homeland", nor harbor illegals for cheap abusive labor

No free rides here..............so hows abouts yourself ?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this