Chevy Camaro Concept Slated for '06 Detroit Show

Northstar

Chevy Camaro Concept Slated for '06 Detroit Show, '09 Debut

Date Posted 08-04-2005

DETROIT — Chevrolet plans to take the wraps off a concept Camaro at the 2006 Detroit auto show in January.

Also, Inside Line has learned the automaker is evaluating proposals to revive the classic performance-car nameplate in 2009-2010 on a new low-cost rear-wheel-drive platform.

Among the scenarios under discussion inside General Motors is the development of a lower-cost version of the Sigma rear-drive platform that underpins the Cadillac CTS and STS sedans. Another proposal would take the new rear-drive platform that's being developed in Australia for the next-generation Holden Commodore sedan and spin off a low-cost variant for North America.

GM planners are said to have targeted several body styles for the Chevy and Pontiac brands on a new rear-drive platform, including a sport sedan, a sporty coupe and a convertible. The Camaro and GTO badges could be used on those vehicles, according to company sources.

Across town, Chrysler is said to be preparing a concept Dodge Challenger for the '06 Detroit show, to test the market for a proposed two-door performance car it wants to introduce around 2008-2009 as a potential competitor to the Ford Mustang.

What this means to you: Guess it was just a matter of time and environmental awareness — the original definition of muscle cars doesn't fit well with new perceptions of what's best for the world...could there be a "green" muscle car in our future?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106732

I hope this news doesn't turn out to be BS! A Camaro concept in 2006 would be cool... but I don't know if I can wait till 2010 for the real thing. Allthough it will give me time to start saving up $$ :) BTW... GLAD TO BE BACK!

Guest YellowJacket894
Looks like Automobile magazine was dead-on balls wrong. They said that the Camaro would not make a return in a short, upfront article on the next GTO.

But they were right about the Firebird: it's fried chicken for good.

• 3 weeks later...

No Camaro concept, I wouldn't get worked up on GM concepts this year. NAIAS is going to be a GMT900 show with near production models as well.

[post="9221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

AH-HA that contradicts a LOT of what we have heard from a number of fronts. Are you saying there won't be a concept with the Camaro name on it? Maybe a RWD V8 coupe with another name?

The Camaro will be at Detroit in January and they already have a preveiw in the works right before the show for the press and invited guest. I know someone who was told by someone close to this that they will be invited once it is offical. So if there is no car why are they having a preview? Also the car may be farther along then stated so it is possible it could be sooner than the date give. But as with anything at GM it is always subject to change.

Could the solstice platform be stretched enough to make a decent 2+2?

It would be a mistake to do something on the holden platform. IMHO

[post="216"][/post]

A "plus-size-kappa" Camaro is okay by me but I have no problem with a Zeta, Sigma lite Camaro either, why the animosity towards Holden? :huh:

BTW: :) x 1,000,000,000

Posted Image

A "plus-size-kappa" Camaro is okay by me but I have no problem with a Zeta, Sigma lite Camaro either, why the animosity towards Holden?  :huh:

BTW:  :) x 1,000,000,000

Posted Image

[post="9384"][/post]

From what I see is, to Sixty8, nothing matters as long as it's there with his criteria list fulfilled.

Now I'm wishing more that GM bring it out according to my specs :lol:

From what I know, there are no concepts for from GM for NAIAS this year, budget cuts.  Remember the sources, Edmund's started this and they are highly dubious of late. I find it hard to believe there will be no concepts, so we'll see.  GM will want to highlight their new products more than ever without concepts taking away the headlines from them.  We'll see all the GMT900s and Lambdas on this year's show circuit.  Sorry, folks, no Camaro.  If I hear anything otherwise, I'll let you know.

[post="9343"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It has been noted that at least some of the GMT900s will debut at the Texas state fair. So I would assume that Chevy, in particular, will need something new to bring in the crowds. If this concept car is the make or break for a production consideration it COULD have enough impact to warrent it shown. It could also not show up, just depends on what is picked. But hey if SS is saying, you REALLY should come to the show on CZ28.com then I think something of Camaro intrest will be there.

Constant speculation-turned disappointment is what kills the excitement. Until I have heard from the horses mouth, i.e. GM, there is absolutely no eye-widening news to speak of. Marketing for the GMT-900 program deserves all the attention hoped to be gained at this point. Cancelling a RWD program to speed ahead the most profitable and ambitious project, only to announce its revival during the unveiling of said project would be a rather rediculous decision.

Maybe AH-HA has heard something more than other people about the Camaro, and maybe it used to be on and now it's not. We'll just have to wait until January or until Red Planet says for sure that it will be there. I know he's hinted at it, but just because he said "you rillly rilly should be there" doesn't necessarily mean it's going to have a Camaro, it could just be something really cool.

Maybe AH-HA has heard something more than other people about the Camaro, and maybe it used to be on and now it's not.

We'll just have to wait until January or until Red Planet says for sure that it will be there. I know he's hinted at it, but just because he said "you rillly rilly should be there" doesn't necessarily mean it's going to have a Camaro, it could just be something really cool.

[post="9514"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The info I heard came from the first rock beyond earth [if you get the hint].

What I said earlier about a preshow preview in Detroit has a lot to do with your statement

Also the invitee is heavily involved with Chevy F bodies.

This info is just a few weeks old. Edited by hyperv6

The info I heard came from the first rock beyond earth [if you get the hint].

What I said earlier about a preshow  preview in Detroit has a lot to do with your statement

Also the invitee is heavily involved with Chevy F bodies.

This info is just a few weeks old.

[post="9710"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I get the hint http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

Maybe since the Tahoe is debuting at the Texas State Fair we'll see the Suburban there too, and since Chevy doesn't have a Lambda the only thing they'd have tot debut would be the Camaro concept and maybe the Silverado.

The next batter up to the plate will be the Silverado/Sierra 900 pickups. The way it looks the SUVs are going to be seen long before January and make a good segway. The Camaro looks to be Chevys big concept this year. I would speculate that the GTO may be shown in some 90% production form like the Aura concept this year as it is not going to be too long till the new one will be available in late 07 as a 08. Pontiac will also show what they will show at SEMA this fall with the various Racing and modified Solstice. The only thing I ponder id who will leak the first Camaro picture and how many will complain it is eiterh too retro or not enough.

Ah-ha states that he doubts there will not be concepts at the show. Also that all production units will debut this year. HE also states that Edmunds has been dubious of late and they are the ones that said there would be no concepts this year. That last one is the most telling statement. It is possible he cannot say something he does know. Or maybe I making a mountain of a mole hill. Regardless he doubts there would be no concepts. For the past few years GM has debuted 6-10 concepts per year; it is my assumption they are a matter of pride to GM, so I highly doubt there would be no concepts at all. Besides, I'm almost 98% sure there will be a Camaro concept this year. Too many people in the know have said so; and even evok has retracted on his previous no RWDers statements.

I hate all these rumors and speculation

*nods*

So do I....

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

ok so if we cut through all the bs...... i was planning on going to detroit this year but im not wasting the money if there arent gonna be any concepts. DO I BOOK MY TICKETS OR NOT?

[post="10872"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

same here!

I'd be suprised not to see some sort of concept from GM. Even if they don't, GM isn't the only automaker at the auto show! There's a lot to see... not to mention the hotties modling the cars!! I go every year. Am just 2 hrs from D-town.

ok so if we cut through all the bs...... i was planning on going to detroit this year but im not wasting the money if there arent gonna be any concepts. DO I BOOK MY TICKETS OR NOT?

[post="10872"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am going just to see what they DO have there.

David

from what i have learned, they ARE working on a camaro, but the higher ups keep changing the design. I have also been told that the design is very modern and not very retro, but that can be subjective too. should be a good show in january, i think there is another suprise there that should be good too.

from what i have learned, they ARE working on a camaro, but the higher ups keep changing the design.  I have also been told that the design is very modern and not very retro, but that can be subjective too.  should be a good show in january, i think there is another suprise there that should be good too.

[post="16850"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Based on your comments, and some others... it sounds like it would be worth going to the 2006 NAIAS. But, I gotta know for sure, since i'm coming from So Cal... will I get my money's worth if I take a trip to Detroit?

I'm done with the speculation.

Every "insider" here has a conflicting report as to when (or even if) we'll see a production Camaro. Some don't even agree on whether a concept will show up this year in the fist place. For that matter, others don't even know what it'll be called. The bottom line is that we don't know how, when, or even if. I'm tired of everyone convincing themselves otherwise. In GM's current state, no Camaro will be here for years and I'm sure we're all well aware of that. Speculate all you want, but no one's information makes sense any more. Show us a Camaro, or end it. Enough is enough.

• 1 month later...
Every NEW Vechicle from GM from 2008 and beyond will only be Front Wheel Drive. This is due to the C.A.F.E. standards and also performance issues. As we have learned from the Japenesse Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVO FWD is the only way to go. GM will also offer its TRUCKS AND SUV's as FWD with optional ALL Wheel Drive. Also in 2012 the E.U. will require all Vechicles sold in the EU to be Front Wheel Drive only for safety reasons. Thus car companys will only want to design FWD cars for all markets. Why do you think Kirk Korkean is buying GM shares, so he can get into the new FWD world marker. Rear Wheel Drive is dead. the next Corvette will be Front Wheel Drive, which will boost performance and packaging. I have allready converted my 2005 Corvette to front wheel drive since I cant wait for the next generation!

Every NEW Vechicle from GM from 2008 and beyond will only be Front Wheel Drive. This is due to the C.A.F.E. standards and also performance issues. As we have learned from the Japenesse Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVO FWD is the only way to go. GM will also offer its TRUCKS AND SUV's as FWD with optional ALL Wheel Drive. Also in 2012 the E.U. will require all Vechicles sold in the EU to be Front Wheel Drive only for safety reasons. Thus car companys will only want to design FWD cars for all markets. Why do you think Kirk Korkean is buying GM shares, so he can get into the new FWD world marker. Rear Wheel Drive is dead. the next Corvette will be Front Wheel Drive, which will boost performance and packaging. I have allready converted my 2005 Corvette to front wheel drive since I cant wait for the next generation!

[post="39583"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

*shakes head*

Moving on..

[post="39583"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Isn't it horrible when people are dropped on their head as babies......

Thank god... I know this will be a hit... -3 horns, you can never find a horn when you're mad, and they all play la cucaracha -A seperate sound proof bubble dome for the kids with optional restraints and muzzles All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way. Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it.

Someday, after I win the Lottery, buy up about 130 classic GM cars and am sitting aroud bored, I'll hack up a 70s Rolls Royce and MAKE a replica of the "Homer" and hack up a '85 Fleetwood Brougham and make Honer's pink car. :P

From what I know, there are no concepts for from GM for NAIAS this year, budget cuts.  Remember the sources, Edmund's started this and they are highly dubious of late. I find it hard to believe there will be no concepts, so we'll see.  GM will want to highlight their new products more than ever without concepts taking away the headlines from them.  We'll see all the GMT900s and Lambdas on this year's show circuit.  Sorry, folks, no Camaro.  If I hear anything otherwise, I'll let you know.

[post="9343"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So I was told by a source on hhrclub.org that there will be a Special edition HHR that will be displayed, and then sold starting spring of 2006... There any truth to that, or is he just yankin my chain???

• 2 weeks later...

So I was told by a source on hhrclub.org that there will be a Special edition HHR that will be displayed, and then sold starting spring of 2006...  There any truth to that, or is he just yankin my chain???

[post="40849"][/post]

The next camaro will not be a retro car. It will take cues for the Roles Royce.
Posted Image
Homer Simpson Will be the head designer

• 2 weeks later...
[CHECK OUT HEMMINGS MUSCLE MACHINES THIS MONTH PAGE 53, IT BASICALLY SAYS THE CAMARO IS BACK ...............................................I HOPE ITS LEGIT THAT MAGAZINE IS USUALLY DEAD ON

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/5685815371424560/ Edited by Munson05

Supremus, Get that off of here ASAP. GM is hunting down all the post on this and if they catch who did it at GM heads will rolll. This site is clean so far and we have some GM folks that post on tis site that are upset about that picture. If we want to retain them as friends we need to work with them.

Supremus, Get that off of here ASAP. GM is hunting down all the post on this and if they catch who did it at GM heads will rolll.

This site is clean so far and we have some GM folks that post on tis site that are upset about that picture. If we want to retain them as friends we need to work with them.

[post="54412"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Heh. Don't you find it funny that this pic was "leaked" just after DCX announce it's Challenger concept?

Heads will roll, my ass...