Bought the Civic Si

Guys, I have switched to "the other side". In my garage is a gorgeous 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan. Got it last night.

My (trade-in) 2006 Mercury Mariner was fine, but I began craving something sportier, more athletic, and with more personality. Plus, I felt like the Mariner was a little too "feminine" somehow.

After much online research and then a few test-drives, I was won-over by the Honda's styling, performance, reputation, resale, and little details like the finely-tuned & engineered controls. Example: the turn signal lever & a/c knob operation is VERY slick & satisfying.

The interior ergonomics are perfect for me: I'm barely 5 ft 6 inches tall, and the clutch, shifter, radio, and steering wheel are all easy to reach.

Good price, good interest rate, reputable dealer...all the ingredients are in place.

I'm so thrilled!

Congrats, Mr. Golden. Yeah, the Mariner seems a bit girly, imo. A Civic, eh? Well, better something with some soul, like a Honda or Nissan, rather than an evil snoozemobile Toyota. Please post your avatar as a fullsize pic if you feel like it, so we can see it better, sir.

Here are better pics of my spiffy new Honda:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jlgolden

Sorry, I forgot what I was going to say...I'm finding it hard to type while beating my head against the wall......................

Sorry, I forgot what I was going to say...I'm finding it hard to type while beating my head against the wall......................

Well, please don't go ape-sh*t on the dude. It's not his fault that there aren't many brands that offer a four-door sedan that is allows for some real fun at a reasonable price.

---

Excellent pick. I still have never gotten used to the dash of the Civic, but it's a great little car that's plenty of fun! :thumbsup:

Edited by Captainbooyah

It's not his fault that there aren't many brands that offer a four-door sedan that is allows for some real fun at a reasonable price.

there aren't many fun sedans for $21K out there.

Fun?

Brand-new?

Around $20,000?

D'uh...

Posted Image

Do I have to do all the thinking around here??

Seriously, nice choice on going with the sedan. I'm sure you'll enjoy many miles with her!

I prefer the coupe myself, but congrats on the new car!

Well, please don't go ape-sh*t on the dude. It's not his fault that there aren't many brands that offer a four-door sedan that is allows for some real fun at a reasonable price.

---

Excellent pick. I still have never gotten used to the dash of the Civic, but it's a great little car that's plenty of fun! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

The SRT-4 is also a terrible used car choice, the people who buy them new tend to be younger people who drive them hard. Dodges dont have the best reputation for quality anyways, why would you want one thats been abused? My friend who just had the transmission replaced in his is desperately trying to get rid of it.

I've always liked smooth, heavier cars...with power...my "old" 2004 Grand Prix was my favorite. I should have kept it and never got the Mariner.

The 2006 Mariner I traded was very useful for hauling camping gear, shopping, loading bags of mulch & plants @ Home Depot. It had a top-notch sound system and a luxurious interior. Acceleration was better than average. Auto transmission was jerky-lunging at times (typical Ford). Routine handling was crisp, but it was not athletic. Braking was clumsy at best. Overall it was a nice ride...with solid constuction and a good reputation & Consumer Guide rating.

Actually, interior squeaks and rattles were adding up fast, and it had a slight tick-tick-tick from a suspect exhaust leak...for 15 seconds at cold startup. The front suspension clunked going into the driveway....grrrrrr...annoying.

Anyway...my point is I decided I was ready for athletic, light, and nimble. Screw utility...the Honda's back seat folds down and I'll cram our landscaping & camping sh*t in there the best I can.

Car shopping:

No domestic cars really fit me this time. I wanted someting under $25,000, and 4-doors (or wagon) are a must. I've driven (rented) a G6, HHR, Cobalt....not bad at all, but I'm NOT feeling the love. The 2008 Malibu, '08 Vue and Astra are too far off...can't wait 6 more months.

I looked into a Saturn Aura, Ford Fusion, VW Rabbit & Jetta 2.5, Subaru Forester, Subaru Impreza WRX wagon, Honda CRV, Civic EX and Si sedans. Scared about VW reliability.

My honey - a Subaru loyalist - wanted me to fall in love with WRX or Forester, but I just did not "click" with those during the test drives. I would certainly LOVE a Legacy turbo, but the price exceeds my (self-imposed) cost cap and it's way too gay (ha ha ha) to have matching cars, right? (he has a new Legacy Spec B).

I did not drive the VWs or Saturn, but I did test drive all the others. The CRV was great...handled very well. But again, I really wanted a more exhuberant, sporty image. The Civic's interior layout fits my size very well. Clutch pedal, shifter, arm rest, steering wheel (tilt & telescoping!), and other controls are in a very natural position.

If I had not chosed the Civic Si then I would have gotten the EX sedan. The Honda driveline refinement and overall feel is satisfying and not found in many other products. Even the turn signal lever feels like it was precisely engineered for tactile pleasure.

Oh, and it's got a rumbly-boomy exhaust note...it makes me feel 10 years younger as I rev through the gears (responsibly...break-in period, remember?) and listen to that sweet little engine.

The V-tec engine requires premium sake...I mean unleaded gasoline. I'm not terribly concerned with fuel economy...it should be cheaper to run than the Mariner. I'm pleased.

Edited by jlgolden

I've always liked the Si, in either 2 or 4 door, especially in the color you chose.

I actually had an opportunity to buy one used from a friend of mine. I knew he had taken good care of it and had not beaten on it, but I had a hard time justifying how much it would have cost me to insure something that fun. My driving record would have probably gotten even worse if I had gotten it.

Congrats!

I'd have to agree. A Cobalt sedan with the SS/SC running gear would be close, but that's probably not in the cards. And I think the Mazda 3 is a tad overrated.

They missed the mark with the last generation Si, but made up for it with this one. Good luck with it.

eh... not my style but if you like it and it works for you than thats all that matters, congradulations and good luck with the new car

hows the dash by the way? i've seen them and they look kinda confusing, any issues getting used to it or is it easier to figure out than it seems?

Edited by 04monteintimidator

We grabbed the camera and took the pics as soon as we pulled in the driveway - coming home from the dealer.

I then removed the "Gillman" sticker from the trunk, just minutes after the pictures were taken.

I don't mind leaving the dealer's license plate inserts on until my tags & registration arrive. Should have the plates in a couple of days. Considering personalized plates.

The speedometer placement is in a good line of sight.

My eyes barely glance down from the road straight ahead...

Whereas a traditionally located speedometer, much closer to you, requires focusing down directly at steering-wheel distance and then refocusing up on the road.

The fact that it's a digital display makes for even quicker reading...the brain processes the information quickly, easily...again, very natural.

It's a simple delight, a very refreshing & pleasant alternative to conventional designs - in my opinion - although the spacial relationship may seem odd to some folks.

Edited by jlgolden

The speedometer placement is in a good line of sight.

My eyes barely glance down from the road straight ahead...

Whereas a traditionally located speedometer, much closer to you, requires focusing down directly at steering-wheel distance and then refocusing up on the road.

It's a simple delight - in my opinion - although the spacial relationship may seem odd to some folks.

What do you think of it being digital as opposed to analog?

Honda should think about capitolizing the idea on it's other vehicles like the upcoming Accord.

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest YellowJacket894

The styling is not particularly my cup 'o tea, but I do like the concept and performance the Civic Si presents in a compact sedan and coupe. The only other car that I place above the Si is the Cobalt SS S/C.

I'm ashamed to say it, but if I had the chance to buy a '97 Si coupe used really cheap in black ... I'd might actually go for it. Anything beats my money-pit S-10 (broken radio knobs, add that to the list of what's broken).

Edited by YellowJacket894

Cool car, and great color and model choice! Out of all small cars, the Civic still is king in terms of overall quality, refinement, and just "slick" feel throughout, and the Si adds more fun to that.

Glad they also started offering an Si sedan, for more realistic people and stuff use.

I'd much rather have a SRT-4, Crown Vic or even the Mariner than a Hon-Duh.

I'd say "good luck" but I'm not a very good liar.

My condolences!

Seriously.

*cough*irrational*cough*bias*cough* :P

*cough*par for the course*cough*

As far as the speedo thing goes, I dont doubt that its easy to get used to. The ION's center mounted gauges weren't hard to get used to at all, adjusted to it quickly. I guess if you're actually willing to give things like that a shot you're going to discover that its not nearly as bad as people say.

I'd much rather have a SRT-4, Crown Vic or even the Mariner than a Hon-Duh.

So you'd rather have ...

Busted transmissions, a shiesty ride, a shiesty interior all wrapped in a package of Neon quality? (I still love it though... :AH-HA_wink: )

or...

A dopey, floaty, gigantic, unnecessarily fuel thirsty land barge that has an outdated body-on-frame platform?

or...

A 'cute-ute'?...

There's bias, and then there's bias... and I'm surprised you'd take the urban 'yuppie' cute-ute over the Civic...

Plus... like mother always says... if you haven't got something nice to say, don't say it at all.

There's bias, and then there's bias... and I'm surprised you'd take the urban 'yuppie' cute-ute over the Civic...

He's got the urban yuppie Infiniti Q45 and a pair of 80's urban yuppie Maximas, so why not add an urban yuppie cute ute?

I'll seek out the Honda forums, eventually.

This site has been my source of chatter, gossip, and info since 2002, when I was still driving my '01 Alero...or maybe that's when I had my '02 Sentra SE-R.

I originally found this site in '02 when I googled for pics of the "upcoming / refreshed 2003 Chevy Cavalier". Wow.

Look, I'm a car nut in general...and I will keep this site bookmarked and check in often....just as I have done for YEARS.

I love the car market and I'm always interested in car talk.

So I'll have to learn how to chat with the rice-burner crowd very soon :)

So I'll have to learn how to chat with the rice-burner crowd very soon :)

Lesson #1: Yellow things add horsepower. Doesn't matter what it is - decals, calipers, lemons, cheese, urine - if its yellow, +10hp. The yellower the better. Even something that has it in the name, say, a Yellowcard CD adds +3hp. This is also why hardcore ricers never race school buses because they're infinitely fast.

Lesson #1: Yellow things add horsepower. Doesn't matter what it is - decals, calipers, lemons, cheese, urine - if its yellow, +10hp. The yellower the better. Even something that has it in the name, say, a Yellowcard CD adds +3hp. This is also why hardcore ricers never race school buses because they're infinitely fast.

The ricers fear this symbol of Pontiac Power!

Count to 3!

Posted Image

Lesson #2: Anything that says VTEC on it adds horsepower as well. If you can find a large collection of yellow VTEC stickers, you my friend, have hit the jackpot. Put all 50 of them on your car, the placement does not matter, its +7 horsepower for each sticker you have.

Mr. Golden, don't run off. If I'd bought a Rabbit, I'd still be here, despite the guilt. GM has my love forever, but I don't wear blinders. Or drawers.

Exactly :thumbsup: If something is well done and/or you like it, who cares what the brand is? Only something I wish others thought, including my parents.

Love my big Caddy, but anymore I'm having dirty thoughts about just wanting a newer, smaller, and much easier to toss around car. If I could afford one, I'd gladly drive an Si.

Edited by caddycruiser

Lesson #2: Anything that says VTEC on it adds horsepower as well. If you can find a large collection of yellow VTEC stickers, you my friend, have hit the jackpot. Put all 50 of them on your car, the placement does not matter, its +7 horsepower for each sticker you have.

Lesson #3: Having two windshield wipers causes too much wind resistance and adds unnecessary weight. Removing the passenger's side wiper allows air to flow over your car more smoothly, which should add about 3 hp. As an additional side benefit you get the cool one-wiper look popularized by foreign-market cars. For even more horsepower, paint the driver's side wiper yellow (see Lesson #1).

Mr. Golden, don't run off. If I'd bought a Rabbit, I'd still be here, despite the guilt. GM has my love forever, but I don't wear blinders. Or drawers.

What he said. Some people can't handle that the Si sedan is simply better than other new vehicles like it. And yeah... I love my Mazda. :P

Lesson #4: Adding "Type R" stickers adds 6 horsepower per sticker. Adding "CIVIC" Stickers to he windshield adds 9 horsepower...and of course, adding a 2 foot tall wing adds 162.3 horsepower and grants it the ability to fly.

Edited by Dodgefan