Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

Bought a new Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

59 posts in this topic

I bought a new 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP today. As many of you know I am not a big fan of Holden, so I doubt if I would ever buy a G8. So I thought about buying this GXP since before I left for Australia last week for work. Well yesterday I got back, and I had a long plane ride to think about it. So today I drove to my dealer and made the deal. I pick it up Tuesday.

What made me decide to get this one is, it was built in Oshawa 2 before they start moving everything to Oshawa 1, and I think as time goes on, W cars will become classics that represent a certain time in GM history, and the W platform was important in bridging the gap for GM before Zeta came online.

I will be proud to drive my GXP around at least until 2010 (CTS TIME) when I will put it in storage and keep it there until I retire.

I will take pics of her next week some time after I get her, and hopefully it won't rain.

and I think as time goes on, W cars will become classics that represent a certain time in GM history

There are so many ways to say what I am thinking but... I'll keep my mouth shut. :AH-HA_wink:

Can't wait for some awesome pictures. I say awesome because, as much as I have come to generally despise the W-Body, the current Grand Prix does have a 'look' you don't see in many cars today. It definately makes one hell of a statement, and I always notice them wherever I go.

...Plus, it has a V8, which makes it pretty awesome too. :thumbsup:

Why would you want to put it in storage?

Because in 2010 I will get a Cadillac CTS (I get a new car every 2 or 3 years), my Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, will go into storage right next to my 1969 Pontiac Custom-S, so I can drive them around when I retire. Until that day, they are safe and secure. :smilewide:

Although I wasn't too thrilled with teh all-new Grand Prix for 2004, and a close friend of mine has had many problems with his 2005 GP, I do like the GXP model. The fact that it has a V8 - the first GP since '87 - made it that more special.

You didn't mention, so I'll go ahead and ask:

1. Colors?

2. Options?

3. What deals are they offering right now?

Can't wait to see your pictures too!

congrats. GXP is a nice car. odd if you do work in AU, that the G8 holden wouldn't at least raise your eyebrow a bit..LOL

For now I'm keeping the color a secret until the pics come out.

It has every option except SAT NAV, I don't need that and didn't want it! I can drive to Texas and back without a map.

When all was said and done, I got the GM Employee discount, plus 2500 in rebates. It's all good!

Pics coming sometime next week, I hope weather permitting.

As for Holden, yeah they raised my eyebrow alright! :smilewide:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

V8 + FWD + odd proportions (especially the tire width on the GXP) = not my cup of tea...but congrats! Hope you have a blast with it!

Because in 2010 I will get a Cadillac CTS (I get a new car every 2 or 3 years), my Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, will go into storage right next to my 1969 Pontiac Custom-S, so I can drive them around when I retire. Until that day, they are safe and secure. :smilewide:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing what makes this GP GXP a "classic" or anything as the Custom S would be? Does it just hole a certain sentimental value to you?

BTW, congrats on the purchase.

V8 + FWD + odd proportions (especially the tire width on the GXP) = not my cup of tea...but congrats! Hope you have a blast with it!

What does tire width have to do with proportions?

Cool, Custom-S. Can't wait to see the photos. While the latest Impala SS is buttoned-down in its sportiness (it fits the brand and looks ok), the GP screams "PONTIAC" without resorting to a lot of extraneous gingerbread... it has curves, an essential part of Pontiac's sexiest cars for decades. Best of luck with it, sir.

Dodge Intrepid?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing what makes this GP GXP a "classic" or anything as the Custom S would be? Does it just hole a certain sentimental value to you?

It's not Zeta and it's especially not Holden, that makes it ohh so special to me. :smilewide:

Thanks for your congrats.

Congratulations on the purchase, I am sure you will be very happy. As much as people like to whine and complain about how the current Grand Prix looks, is fwd, on a dated platform, and so on, I don't really care, I have always had a soft spot for them, especially in GXP form. It is nice to drive a car that is different and at least stands out, and the GXP GP definatley does. I hope it serves you well.

Edited by REDO1GPGT

"F**k you; I'm the Grand Prix, Bitch!"

Awesome purchase! Can't wait to see pictures!

Dodgefan, the offset tire widths help control torque steer. And it works. Very well.

I bought a new 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP today.

I will take pics of her next week some time after I get her, and hopefully it won't rain.

Tres bonne! Vous avez de la chance! J'ai loue' un Grand Prix la semaine derniere a Las Vegas.

L'annee prochaine, j'acheterai la LaCrosse ou la GP. Je ne sais pas, encore. Mais j'acheterai les versionnes basiques. Pour la Grand Prix, je voudrais l'exterieur blanche avec l'interieur/les tessuts noire.

Quelle coloeur avez vous choisissez pour la GXP? Fotos tout suite, s'il vous plait!

Loose translation for those of us who are not language snobs based on my faulty memory of high school French:

"That's good! Good luck with it. I rented a Grand Prix when I was tricking for crack in Las Vegas.

In the next year or so, I want to get a Lacrosse or Grand Prix. Not sure which. But I will get the basic version. If I get a Grand Prix, it will be white with black cloth interior.

What color did you choose for your Grand Prix? May I have a date with you? Photos please, as soon as possible!"

Well how'd I do?

:AH-HA_wink:

Tres bonne! Vous avez de la chance! J'ai loue' un Grand Prix la semaine derniere a Las Vegas.

L'annee prochaine, j'acheterai la LaCrosse ou la GP. Je ne sais pas, encore. Mais j'acheterai les versionnes basiques. Pour la Grand Prix, je voudrais l'exterieur blanche avec l'interieur/les tessuts noire.

Quelle coloeur avez vous choisissez pour la GXP? Fotos tout suite, s'il vous plait!

Bon pour toi ! Merci de vos mots aimables. Quant à la couleur, c'est un secret jusqu'à ce que je montre les images.

As a owner of a Comp G GTP congrats.

Also as a owner of a W body Comp G drive the car and buy your CTS or what ever GM may offer in 2010 you like.

No reason to leave a good car sit and let you survivors sell it at a loss in the future.

I have seen too many 600 mile ZR1 Vettes sit and are now being sold for 40K because the newer cars have passes it up in performance and comfort.

FWD car collector market will be like the Japan car collector market.

Bottom line no matter what enjoy your car!!!!!!!

V8 that is worse on gas + asian toaster styling + zero traction in snow and ice + higher price tag and limited availabilty = not my cup of tea for Pontiacs flagship. GM should come up with there own version of the Zeta with Pontiac styling, available AWD, full production capacity because it's made here and lots of V6 models because gas isn't going down. These stop gap fill in cars do little for me. The Grand Prix is hardly stunning but it at least looks like a Pontiac and offers some flair for a reasonable price and reasonable economy.

Edited by ponchoman49

For now I'm keeping the color a secret until the pics come out.

Awww... it better be good! If it's black or silver :censored:

Pics coming sometime next week, I hope weather permitting.

Wait, you better take pics of it at the dealership before leaving if the weather doesn't cooperate!

As for Holden, yeah they raised my eyebrow alright! :smilewide:

Do you care to elaborate? I'm really interested in finding out your impressions of the G8 and why you don't like it after flying all the way over to Austrailia.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

Not a problem! You bought GM, so of course you'll get a bunch of congrats here.

Loose translation for those of us who are not language snobs based on my faulty memory of high school French:

"That's good! Good luck with it. I rented a Grand Prix when I was tricking for crack in Las Vegas.

In the next year or so, I want to get a Lacrosse or Grand Prix. Not sure which. But I will get the basic version. If I get a Grand Prix, it will be white with black cloth interior.

What color did you choose for your Grand Prix? May I have a date with you? Photos please, as soon as possible!"

Well how'd I do?

:AH-HA_wink:

Good, except for your gratuitous homosexual overtones which are an inextricable part of everything you do and say! :AH-HA_wink:

G8 >>>>> Grand Prix GXP. :D

Fixed.

Wow... choosing the W-body GP over the upcoming Zeta G8 is a lot

like buying a 1963 Falcon six-cylinder 4-dr before those stupid,

over rated Mustangs ruin everything. :P

Wow... choosing the W-body GP over the upcoming Zeta G8 is a lot

like buying a 1963 Falcon six-cylinder 4-dr before those stupid,

over rated Mustangs ruin everything. :P

I couldn't imagine choosing the W-body GP (ancient platform, 4spd auto, FWD, wierd styling) over the G8 (modern platform, RWD, IRS, clean styling, 6-spd manual)... but to each their own, I guess...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0