Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

How quiet or "refined" is your engine?

35 posts in this topic

Today my friend and I (the one with the Corolla) were getting out of clas to go to somewhere in Mass to take pictures for my photography class. We got in my the car (I had the Intrepid today) and I started it up. I went behind the seat to get my camera out. Apparently he either forgot I started it or didn't think I turned the key al; the way because he asked

Him: "Is the car on?"

Me: "yeah" I put it in reverse back out

Him: "Wow, it's really quiet"

Seems every time we go for a ride in it he's more impressed with the car.

So how quiet (GTOs and other loud V8s/purposely loud vehicles need not apply :P ) or how refined is your vehicle's engine? Like I've said before, for all the problems the 2.7L is known for, it's been a great engine so far to me. It's very smooth and quiet, and it idles at about 800 rpm (I think, I'd have to double check). It does make some pretty nice sounds when you open up the throttle though :AH-HA_wink:

As for the photos, I won't know until I develop them but they should be awesome..we went to a waterfall somewhere past Fitchburg...got some awesome pictures near the base of the falls..plus some cool ice build-up on the nearby rocks.

On a side note he thinks the new Tacoma is ugly and looks like a bug :P

Edited by Dodgefan

Before the intake manifold and head gasket started to go sour (nothing major yet, but it won't be long), the 3.4L in our Venture was nice and smooth, pushrods and all. It's not thrashy, has plenty of pep, and emits a thoroughly satisfying exhaust note.

The Vortec V6 in the Sonoma is a little gruff, it shakes just a bit at idle (~600 RPM). But I could care less, since what it lacks in silky-smoothness, it more than makes up with in abundant low-midrange power, a pleasing tune, and excellent reliablilty.

Edited by DetroitNut90

a 99 3.1L with ~140K on it.... idles rough in random spurts, carrying into the lower rpm range sometimes too.

my brother has an mr2 and a 240Zw/ a lt1 in it, says the same thing sometimes in my car.... "is it running?"

it's pretty easy to drown out when it's idling with music on. but on a 1-10 scale i'd have to guess it's about a 7

my company's new 07 nox is quiet from the front, only hear the idle coming from the muffler from the driver's seat

Well I came out from a Cavalier, so I'm biased on my G6. My friend did comment on my car and said it was very quiet. He also drove another G6 V6, and commented how peppy and smooth the engine was, so I guess that applies to mine as well.

The Electra is smooth riding but you can hear the engine roar...i think its supposed to be that way..hello, its a wildcat engine!

The saturn is a rattle box but it can be abnormally quiet on warm days.

The breeze is pretty quiet...except in idle...the steeringwheel shakes.

Hmmm, let's see...

- The GTO,Firehawk and Maserati make beautiful music and the two Pontiacs are pretty quiet at cruising speed due to low revs.

- The Duramax is the quietest diesel I have ever driven car or truck

- Before I yanked the engine the Camino was dead quiet inside (but won't be when I'm done)

Never been big on the "can't hear the engine" thing.

Hmmm, let's see...

- The GTO,Firehawk and Maserati make beautiful music and the two Pontiacs are pretty quiet at cruising speed due to low revs.

- The Duramax is the quietest diesel I have ever driven car or truck

- Before I yanked the engine the Camino was dead quiet inside (but won't be when I'm done)

Never been big on the "can't hear the engine" thing.

I don't like dead silence all the time, especially depending on the car, but the Intrepid's quitness is very nice, and when you accelerate, you hear it, but it sounds good. Now a Charger R/T or something...I wanna hear that :D

The 5.3 in my truck is fairly quiet. Under acceleration you can hear it pretty good, crusing speeds its more subdued. I like the way it sounds

Interestingly, the '02 Firehawk was very quiet as compared to the GTO. Both got a bit louder with age, but the GTO always let's you know that an LS1 lives under the hood. Even so, the cabin is very solid and quiet and if the car had a more docile engine or exhaust, you'd hear very little sound.

Our BMW's inline-six is silky smooth and very refined, but it's rather loud at idle, especially when cold.

Our Honda's V6 isn't very smooth (you can start feeling vibrations past 4500 rpm), but it's dead silent at idle. I've tried starting the engine with it running on several occasions.

The 3.4L DOHC LQ1 in my GTP is from GM's 60-deg V-6 family, so it's already not known for being especially quiet and smooth. Plus, I installed a billet aluminum "dogbone" front torque strut with polyurethane bushings, so the noise under load and high revs really comes thru the car's structure into the cabin. And I wouldn't have it any other way, it just sounds mean when she downshifts into 1st gear at 30mph.

That said, tho, at idle, it's very quite from inside, very smooth idle quality. You can feel a little lopiness, but it's part of the car's character.

Edited by Mach5GTP

You can hear the 3800 II throughout, but its a very nice sound.

My 4.0 Aurora is very quiet at idle and growls upon acceleration. Northstars and their derivatives have always sounded great.

If I wanted to not hear the engine, I'd probably not want to drive either.

Well, the GTO is pretty loud. It idles at about 650rpm so it's not overly loud, but that's the nature of the beast. It's relatively quite at cruise, but pretty loud when it's opened up.

I think it's pretty much a consensus that LSx engines are very refined, though.

The quietest car I have EVER heard was a 1951 Studebaker Starlight coupe.

It did not make so much as a peep as the guy drove away off the Endicott

Estate after the carshow. All I heard was the tires driving over the grass!

Posted Image

My Equinox is pretty good in spite of what some of the magazines say. The only thing you hear out of the Bonneville is the exhaust thats on it. It shakes at idle but that is due to what I think is a vacuum leak which I cannot find.

My Millenia is whisper quiet at running temp during idle as well as at highway speeds. After starting the engine cold, it's not so quiet. Same if I open it up. It purrs nicely when it isn't missing. :P

I drive a Detroit Diesel 6.2L.

'nuff said. 8)

Caprice loud and obnoxious at anything above idle

Camaro 3.4L what the hell is that rattling?

94 Silverado if its quiet the engines not running. (No Exhaust)

02 Sierra quiet until its opened up

98 LeSabre Is there a engine in there?

Vibe Who the hell is revving a weed whacker in the back seat.

issued Impala For how much noise there should be more balls.

Caprice loud and obnoxious at anything above idle

Camaro 3.4L what the hell is that rattling?

94 Silverado if its quiet the engines not running. (No Exhaust)

02 Sierra quiet until its opened up

98 LeSabre Is there a engine in there?

Vibe Who the hell is revving a weed whacker in the back seat.

issued Impala For how much noise there should be more balls.

:lol:

My 3300 is fairly loud at idle.. has an odd hum to it. It's fairly quiet cruising at like 40-60. After that it quickly gets noisy.

I like quiet engines. Honda has the best, smoothest small engines around, with a good sound when they rev. However, the Prelude's engine is not as smooth as my previous Integras. I don't care for the loud rumble of the Silverado. As for my IS300, it's quiet at low rpms and grows loudly when revved hard. While smooth, the amount of power is sadly not commensurate to the increased decibels.

I agree with you Bobo -- Honda has definately spent some time in the noise reduction / refinement areas -- commonly referred to as NVH (noise, harshness, vibration). I've got an Ecotec 2.4l G6 right now -- and it's not as quiet as I'd like at idle -- and acceleration it's quite loud. Before that I had the 2.2l in my '04 Malibu - and it was identical to the 2.4l in terms of noise and courseness. As it is, the 2.4l is a nice little engine -- it's peppy, revs easy, delivers fairly decent gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it (personal best: 32.5 mpg), and non-spectacular, but not-boring acceleration when you put your boot into it (and then it's gas mileage drops to 25-26mpg). It's smooth is how it revs, but it sounds course. My Suburban's got the 5.3l and it's got a really nice burble to it. It idles nice and quiet. Accleration is audible, but it's pleasant - and never loud.

Things brings me to a point:

When doing a review, two things would 'make' a review for me, yet I struggle to find anyone who consistently delivers these stats across all of their reviews:

1) DBA noice level: Noise at idle, noise under acceleration to 30mph & 55 mph, noise cruising at 30mph & 55mph.

2) Acceleration 0-30 & 0-60. Most people can't connect the dots with: horsepower, torque, vehicle weight, and transmission gearing. All of those can and will make a marketable difference to acceleration. Why can't you consistently find the acceleration #'s?

You can hear the 3800 II throughout, but its a very nice sound.

My 4.0 Aurora is very quiet at idle and growls upon acceleration. Northstars and their derivatives have always sounded great.

If I wanted to not hear the engine, I'd probably not want to drive either.

Agreed. I think quietness and refinement are two very different things. You can have a very smooth Porsche flat-six, but it'll definitely be very loud, either at idle or while accelerating. Direct-injected engines like VW's FSI 2.0T are loud at idle (clicking/tapping noises), but you wouldn't mind running some at 6,000 rpm all day long.

The Prizm's 1.6 is pretty Rev-happy...you need to rev it to get the most out of the engine (such is the case with Japanese 4 cylinders), but it sounds good when you Rev it...I like hearing the engine...it feels alive and eager. I have no idea what it idles at, because it has no tach (the only car that doesn't..and the only one with a manual of course).

The Shadow's 2.5L is actually pretty quiet when the catalytic convector isn't rattling around, and when it's cruising up to 50 it's fairly quiet too...it also sounds good under light acceleration. However above 3000 rpm it sounds very raspy, and when it first starts up when it's very cold out it runs rough, but smooths out as it warms up. It idles at about 1000 rpm, but tends to fluctuate every now and then.

Edited by Dodgefan

Agreed. I think quietness and refinement are two very different things. You can have a very smooth Porsche flat-six, but it'll definitely be very loud, either at idle or while accelerating. Direct-injected engines like VW's FSI 2.0T are loud at idle (clicking/tapping noises), but you wouldn't mind running some at 6,000 rpm all day long.

Well that's sorta what I ment, refined and/or quiet was the subject of the thread...I dunno if I didn't word it well enough ^^;

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0