Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northstar

Nov. MT says Solstice to get V8

37 posts in this topic

From page 26 in the Nov. MT: "... A V8 is also reportedly on the agenda for the Pontiac Solstice. We've been assured by a senior GM exec that a V8 will fit between the rails. Sounds like a recipe for a 21st-century Cobra."

Wow... So, we can expect a Turbo and V8 option, along with the coupe we've heard rumors of. I can't wait!

Yeah right. I dont believe that, Motor Trend is full of shit. They said awhile back when Zeta was cancelled that everything is a go. Now in retrospect we really know things are a go, but at that point nobody knew that. If that is the plan however, where does that place the business case for the Camaro? Is there still one if the Solstice gets a V8? Edited by milleramerican

I can't put alot of trust in a magazine that issues statements about its November issue in September.

MT is retarded. That said, this reminded me of something I would love to see produced. The Suzuki C2 concept from the mid-late 90's. It was ugly as hell, but it had a very small displacement(1.6L) V8.

If this is true than all I have to say is "Hello Trans Am!" I'm also glad that the coupe is getting the green light. I love the coupe's profile.

Posted Image

I would shit a house if Solstice got a V8....but it'd be damn fun, but what would insurance run for something THAT fun? God forbid any 'normal' person try to get one.

If this is true than all I have to say is "Hello Trans Am!" I'm also glad that the coupe is getting the green light. I love the coupe's profile.

Posted Image

[post="21832"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well you cant take a convertable to some of the road courses and tracks... so in order to define Pontiac as a Pefromance Devision you must know what its capable of... COUPE!!!

I'd love to see a Trans Am Solstice...

that would be awesome, although it kinda ruins it to have a 4 banger and a v8... when the 4 banger is supposed to be ample...

I dont believe it...

Maybe they are talking about the 2.5 litre V8 that a number of companies are (semi-secretly) developing...

I think evok, AH-HA, or the griffon had said previously that Kappa won't handle a V8 without extensive reinforcements. I don't think we'll see anything more than a forced induction 4cyl on this version of Kappa.

I'm sure the V8 can be shoehorned in, but can the car still pass crash tests with a big V8 in under the hood? That wouild be/might be the deal breaker.

With extensive modifcations they could fit it in, but it has been said that a GM version would no longer be the same architecture. If GM is satisfied with the Solstice production model it could be done, but like the original Cobra and the similar Sunbeam Tiger it would be relatively expensive. You probably wouldn't get much change from $40K (perhaps more). While it would be one h... of a halo car, GM might not think the potential sales worth the investment.

Wouldnt it simply be a de engineered Corvette ? What would be the point, a killer engine in an inadequate chassis for a few pennys less than a Corvette. GM just needs to continue developing more performance out of its 4 cylinder and this Kappa is the halo developement car to do it in. You need cars for every class, not all cars in the same class. The Cobra was completely different from its AC Ace brother but the Tiger was simply a shoehorn job and it did not handle or brake as well as the Alpine. Edited by razoredge

If they do it, they need to make a Caddy Kappa. Mini-XLR anyone?

[post="22054"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes please! :D

Squeezing an 8 into the Impala and GXP was a stretch so how the hell do you get one into a Solstice?

[post="21978"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Impala and GXP- the engine is transverse mounted, with a X frame
underneath. The Solstice has big 3x8 frame rails extending fwd to the rad
support, that are far apart... with the engine out, it looks like a big block
would fit in there. The chassis was intended for so much more.

Put on yer helmets.

While V8s would be nice... they'd be expensive, obviously. I'm fine with it sticking to I4s. I'm also fine with Caddy and every other brand keeping their hands off of Kappa. I'm really not a fan of every brand getting this and that... especially this type of platform. Leave it to Pontiac and Saturn. Caddy has the XLR, Chevy has the Vette, Buick has... too many elderly buyers. :D It's about time Pontiac gets something that every other brand doesn't...

I highly doubt the Northstar will fit because it is wider and taller. If it's hard to get a smallblock V8 to fit, it will be next to impossible to get a Northstar to fit.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0