Interesting Chevy design proposal on the wall

Is this an old alternative Camaro design, or something else???

Posted Image

There is definitely a large split grill, and the overall shape looks like a Camaro, but it's interesting none the less...

Production Volt?

Posted Image

Stretch out the Volt vertically, taller headlights and greenhouse. Then add a larger grill and make the windows stop at the beltline.

I think it is a possibility.

Or an MCE Cobalt.

Both would be quite interesting.

Edited by 91z4me

I hope the Volt design theme really isn't indicative of the Impala; I live the Volt, but it's not breathtaking, and it's not all that attention-getting either. It works for the Volt because the concept of the Volt is attention-getting, however, if that were the Impala it wouldn't get much notice. That's jmo. The picture to me looks like a Malibu coupe; the shape and roofline and overall proportions look close enough to Malibu. Though it's in profile, and it's hard to really tell, the wheel to a-pillar distance suggests FWD. But it's anyone's guess.

I don't think it is exactly a Zeta studio as much as Chevrolet studio.

I just checked the caption on the photo:

A full-scale production clay model of the 2009 Chevrolet Camaro starts to take shape at GM's Warren, Michigan, Design Center, Rear Wheel Drive Performance Studio, behind GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner (center), and GM Vice-Chairmen Bob Lutz (left) and Fritz Henderson (right).

So GM has redone how the group design studios? Interesting. :scratchchin:

I don't know, but I would assume there are still Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, etc., studios, and then there are also Delta, Zeta, Epsilon, etc., studios. With GM becoming more global I'm guessing more stuff is designed together.

Yup, that certainly looks like the Impala in the background. My guess would be that this coupe is Zeta based (although it's always hard to tell size from clay models and pics), but what name it would carry?

On another note, I know that the enthusiasts here will get excited about the possibility of a Chevy coupe, but I think GM is getting close to that limit of having developed too many sporty models. I understand that their brands can hold more sporty models, but it seems like they're designating a lot of their restricted budgets toward them.

Guest YellowJacket894

Hey, Pontiac Custom, are you talking about that clay model in the photo I posted? That's a Camaro design alternative, based on the second-generation cars.

But, really, I've never figured out what that blue sedan could be. I think it's also from the Warren studio and the possibility that it's the Impala is strong but ... ?

This thread raises another thought: could the Impala have coupe and sedan versions when it debuts? :scratchchin:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Hey, Pontiac Custom, are you talking about that clay model in the photo I posted? That's a Camaro design alternative, based on the second-generation cars.

But, really, I've never figured out what that blue sedan could be. I think it's also from the Warren studio and the possibility that it's the Impala is strong but ... ?

This thread raises another thought: could the Impala have coupe and sedan versions when it debuts? :scratchchin:

If it's that old, I doubt it's anything. The front sort of resembles the SSR, though it clearly is not an SSR.

The silver car sort of looks like the Motor Trend Impala from one of the recent issues.

My guess is that it was an Impala design proposal, but it's not the one they picked.

Is this an old alternative Camaro design, or something else???

Posted Image

There is definitely a large split grill, and the overall shape looks like a Camaro, but it's interesting none the less...

to me looks like a hard top kappa? I was almost gonna say saturn till I noiced the obvious chevrolet banner

Contrary to what some other boneheads are saying, it's not a Monte or Chevelle. Hell, it's not even a coupe, the perspective and grainy image are throwing everyone off. Sometime the simpliest explanation is the real one. :AH-HA_wink:

Here's something else that's pretty interesting.

Posted Image

The only problem is this picture is from so far back that what ever it is may not even be close to what is proposed.

The Camaro here was a proposal I had heard about and had changed 2-3 time before the final concept.

But you never know what they might have kept.

Contrary to what some other boneheads are saying, it's not a Monte or Chevelle. Hell, it's not even a coupe, the perspective and grainy image are throwing everyone off. Sometime the simpliest explanation is the real one. :AH-HA_wink:

it's a Malibu! the blur especially around the rear make it look like a 2-door, but the front combined with the Aura-like greenhouse, which we already know is very similar to Malibu, make it the Malibu, imo.

it's a Malibu! the blur especially around the rear make it look like a 2-door, but the front combined with the Aura-like greenhouse, which we already know is very similar to Malibu, make it the Malibu, imo.

What's it doing in a studio dedicated to RWD vehicles?

A million concepts, clay models and sketches result in one or two designs.

I'd love to say you can predict the future by looking at these deigns but

the reality is that you're just looking at water over the damn as of 2006.

It would be a fantastic dream to have unlimited access to those design studios, just to observe the winnowing process. I bet a lot of cool stuff gets passed over on the way to a production design.

It's the return of that Great Little RWD Chevy that we all knew and Loved. Bob Lutz had these designs in his basement for years waiting for just the right moment to bring this little sweetheart back on the Zeta Platform. It's the all new for 2010, Chevy Chevette!!! :rotflmao:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

What would the Malibu be doing in the Zeta design room? It's either the Impala or a proposal for the Impala that didn't get accepted.

The zeta design room line from the article or caption could have been a misprint. Or another logical take is that GM has pictures of its cars in all design centers, regardless of what platform its on. Or it could be Impala. For my money, it looks too much like Malibu to be Impala, but you guys could be right.

I still maintain that the perspective is messing up the side profile, and the wheel to A-pillar distance is definitely FWD.

Edited by turbo200

Contrary to what some other boneheads are saying, it's not a Monte or Chevelle. Hell, it's not even a coupe, the perspective and grainy image are throwing everyone off. Sometime the simpliest explanation is the real one.

Posted Image

:wavey:

[Jedi mind trick]These are not the Coupes you are looking for.[/Jedi mind trick]

Yes, that's a RWD Impala. Camaro-like body, Volt front (only more upright). Motor Trend got the details right, but not the proportions.

Now the question is... will it see the light of day? The current FDW Impala is too much of a hit for GM to tinker with it.

My prediction is:

- 2010 Impala will be "Volticized" in a FDW platform (Epsilon II, Chi)

- This Chevy Zeta will be launched as Bel Air, Caprice, or not be lauched at all (wich also makes sense, since the Zeta Lucerne will cover that spot, too).

Yes, that's a RWD Impala. Camaro-like body, Volt front (only more upright). Motor Trend got the details right, but not the proportions.

Now the question is... will it see the light of day? The current FDW Impala is too much of a hit for GM to tinker with it.

My prediction is:

- 2010 Impala will be "Volticized" in a FDW platform (Epsilon II, Chi)

- This Chevy Zeta will be launched as Bel Air, Caprice, or not be lauched at all (wich also makes sense, since the Zeta Lucerne will cover that spot, too).

Those are some BIG leaps to make. Lets remember Chevy already has the larger EPII FWD Malibu, which looks to be the hit that GM has been searching for in this segment for decades. The RWD Impala will be a LARGE car bringing in a higher price, even if at a lower volume. Between the two there should be no loss of RETAIL sales. Chi doesn't exist, it never did and EPII isn't getting much larger than Malibu. Also the Volt was a compact car. It may appear larger but it is Cobalt size, and should it reach production it will be a compact/subcompact car.

Generally, I take you at your word but that sure looks like a coupe to me. Everything else is pure speculation.

Those are some BIG leaps to make. Lets remember Chevy already has the larger EPII FWD Malibu, which looks to be the hit that GM has been searching for in this segment for decades. The RWD Impala will be a LARGE car bringing in a higher price, even if at a lower volume. Between the two there should be no loss of RETAIL sales. Chi doesn't exist, it never did and EPII isn't getting much larger than Malibu. Also the Volt was a compact car. It may appear larger but it is Cobalt size, and should it reach production it will be a compact/subcompact car.

You said it: the new Malibu LOOKS to be the hit, it ISN'T YET the hit the current Impala already is. It also is a BIG leap to assume people will simply jump from FDW Impala to new Malibu, specially considering the "ugly fleet queen" image the Malibu name has today. There's no guarantee of that. The Chi platform already exists, only it's called "Lambda", and it would be relatively easy for GM to spawn a sedan from it. Also, when I said "Volticized", I meant transferring styling cues from Volt concept to a new FWD Impala, not put the Volt as is to replace the Impala. I know the Volt is a compact.

The new Malibu right now is still on LWB Epsilon.

It has to be an Impala it couldn't be anything but the Impala. It is in the Zeta room. Logically speaking a RWD Lucerne and DTS with a RWD Impala would NOT be the way to go. I think a RWD Impala with a RWD Buick Park Ave (from China) and FWD DTS with the SLS from China would be a great idea. Then drop the idea of Buick and Cadillac getting RWD Zeta's.

The more I look at the blurry image the more I see an early (early) concept Camaro rendering in the Camaro room.

The greenhouse is very close to the others and we all know there are probably well over 15 or 20 concepts that were passed on as a whole but kept around for references to certain cues or scale or whatever. I say real early Camaro.