DeLorean plans afoot to go back into production

They are actually going to build the exact SAME thing? That's like VW putting the old Bug back into production or BMW putting the old MINI back into production.

Well (and too bad if you disagree) GM still has a car that's been produced since March of 1983 on the road and cars that've been produced since 1988, as well. (However upgraded Y and W are.)

They are actually going to build the exact SAME thing? That's like VW putting the old Bug back into production or BMW putting the old MINI back into production.

Ford did a reproduction of the 1965 Shelby Cobra for a while back in 2000 Edited by mjdecker

Are you sure FORD was involved in a 2000 Shelby Cobra? There was a concept 'Coba', a one-off circa 2005, but I read your post as insinuating a series of repro cars. There are at least 5 dedicated Cobra replicas on the market, a few that are excellent cars- I never heard about Ford being involved in any of them tho.

A new updated deLorean would be interesting, but not with 1981 specs....though according to the article, someone has 200 of the original 2.8 V6s.. IIRC, the deLorean was more about looks than performance...

I was a fan of the DeLorean before it was put in production. I liked the Giugiaro design, and the stainless steel panels were like the roof of the Eldorado Biarritz taken to the next level. When the company went bust, Pete Ellis Dodge in L.A. got a bunch of them to liquidate for cheap.

I was a fan of the DeLorean before it was put in production. I liked the Giugiaro design, and the stainless steel panels were like the roof of the Eldorado Biarritz taken to the next level. When the company went bust, Pete Ellis Dodge in L.A. got a bunch of them to liquidate for cheap.

Columbus, Oh was a major distribution center for them, IIRC. As a kid I remember seeing dozens of them lined up in a fenced in parking lot sometime in '82..

• 1 month later...

This is cool, but I think that it would be better if some car maker bought the rights to the name and re-designed this car to incorporate todays engineering (the original quality was AWFUL). Keep all the iconic parts though (gull wing doors, stainless steel, tiny windows, etc.). That would sell like crazy!

Edited by Clownzilla

The brother of a buddy of mine had a DMC a few years ago; I sat in it, and yeah- the novelty of gullwing doors is pretty neat, but the car had a... IDK; kit-car feel to it: the doors were hugely thick & the sills were like park benches. You sit buried in the thing, and the windows (other than the windshield) are like horizontal gunslits. I never took to it, but they sure catch your eye on the road due to the extreme lowness of them. It's got a hefty degree of 'gee-whiz', but really no grace or class, IMO.

I would agree that more modern engineering and definately a better powertrain than the original (Renault? Volvo?) one would be strongly appreciated.

I also wonder at how many 'bottom-liners' there really are for this: current values for the original DMCs are a top-shelf indicator here- anyone looked at what they're selling for? If it's $75K or anything remotely in that neighborhood, maybe the venture will make it... but if DMCs are only selling for 1/3rd that, I don't think building these on spec makes for a good business case.

Comparing the C4 to the C6 is like comparing the new Mustang to a 1974 Mustang II.

I'm with Oldsmoboi, there's better brands to resurect....

But if they are going to bring back the DeLorean drop in

LS7s or at least LS2s & mate them up to 6-spd manuals!

That PRV 2.8 V6 was a royal p.o.s.