2008 Malibu at the Georgian College Autoshow

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ted took more pics, but his computer is down, so I uploaded whatever I have from my camera.

Overall, impressions, well let's just put it that GM can do allot better than this. It feels allot like the Aura. Interior plastics feel cheap, disappointed. With all the time GM had to improve the flaws the Aura had, it feels like they have done nothing. We sat in this car first at the show, so we got to compare. The new Accord, the Camry, even the Magentis, yes the KIA MAGENTIS feels like a car with higher quality than this. I know you guys hate hearing this, especially on a GM fan msg site, however this car is not the promise of "gotta have cars" Lutz is praising about. So much for Lutz's promise of quality, the guy's gotta retire, an American Reolution? Yeah, maybe in 1998.

Edited by !!!TED!!!

Saw the 2008 Malibu.

Nice white/gray interior.

Omissions:

1. No overhead grab handles for any seat.

2. Rear seat cupholders made to spill every drink.

3. NO REAR SEAT CENTER ARMREST (Are you kidding me?)

4. No manual driver's seat height adjustment.

Edited by JT64

Just confirming my beliefs that after sitting in the Aura, the Malibu's interior wasn't going to be anything special either. The plastics look similar and that gray color scheme is terrible. Are they purposely trying to evoke feelings of the current Malibu with that interior?

I had the same impression when I checked it out on the weekend too. Just another Aura. I'm sick of the same old steering wheel, sick of the standard radio/hvac controls, below average plastics, and the bland colour scheme didn't help much.

It was a preproduction LS model with a 3.5L engine.

The other thing that stuck out in my mind was "damn these rear doors are huge!".

The Malibu's interior looks quite disappointing here. Almost like it should be in the Cobalt instead of the Malibu. The design is not bad, but it lacks cohesiveness and looks cobbled together.

The exterior still looks very good, however, and I see no reason why it won't do better than the current one. It should sell on exterior looks alone to some people, like the old Altima did.

GM's last chance to win over midsize buyers is the EPII sedans. It all starts with the 2010 LaCrosse in early '09. If that car is not best in class, we might as well give up.

Good looking from the front. Poor from the rear. Interior is nicely styled, but the materials are only so-so. Seats were not that comfortable. Many ugly cutlines, and overall, it feels very basic. For those worried about a lack of rub strips for the doors, this car had them.

Hopefully it looks better in non grey on grey (and maybe leather seating will help alot). :scratchchin:

My pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

more next post...

I actually think the interior looks alright. I really like this two-tone. However, the center stack isn't as good as it could be and the door panels look very plain and cheap. There are also too many cut lines. The IP is awesome, though. I'm not a fan of hard plastic on the back of the seats because, IMO, it scratches/scuffs too easily.

It looks great from the front: modern and sporty. The rear end is a disaster.

GM's last chance to win over midsize buyers is the EPII sedans. It all starts with the 2010 LaCrosse in early '09. If that car is not best in class, we might as well give up.

sadly, we've been hearing these comments for decades. how many more years do we have to hear the same old crap?

it all starts 2years from now? are you kidding me?

let's face it. GM will never win over midsize car buyers. never. best they can hope to do is slow down the erosion and hope like hell gas drops back to $2/gallon so people will move to larger cars (Zeta.)

we can also hope that they come forward with the NY Auto Show triplets to capitalize on that $5/gal gas that is right around the corner. casue the Aveo can't do it alone.

For mid size family sedan in very base form , I really dont think this looks bad at all . The 2008 Accords are on lots here now , and just based on looks alone , I would be at the chevy dealer . I basically think the new Accord looks like it should have a Hyundai badge . As far as the interior , Honda looks like it had a slight notch in material usage ....but the dash design looked nowhere near as good in person as it did in the pictures . All the different planes and angles were quite a turn off .

Cobine the Honda interior materials with the chevys interior design , and IMO ...that would best in class . Chevy is killing themselves with that cheap looking silver paint . They use a coating in other models that look like real brushed aluminum ...as do alot of other manufacturers , why skip out here ? Its the smallest of details like that , that go a LONG way .

The front and side profiles of the Malibu look really good ....especially the side profile .

Oddly the midlevel 2LT interior will probably be the best looking imo . I would hands down take Alcantara over leather

Edited by silverss/sc

sadly, we've been hearing these comments for decades. how many more years do we have to hear the same old crap?

it all starts 2years from now? are you kidding me?

let's face it. GM will never win over midsize car buyers. never. best they can hope to do is slow down the erosion and hope like hell gas drops back to $2/gallon so people will move to larger cars (Zeta.)

we can also hope that they come forward with the NY Auto Show triplets to capitalize on that $5/gal gas that is right around the corner. casue the Aveo can't do it alone.

The next phase of midsize sedans will have unique instrumentation and interiors. The short lived black-tie affair will be a thing of the past.

The exterior is nothing to write home about but it is not ugly. But, this interior is craptastic!!!!

The lowly Sonata doesn't have as many cut lines and the door panel screams Rubbermaid!!!

What the hell was GM thinking? Okay, I have a prediction.

Car & Driver, Motor Trend & Road & Track will do the best of the mid-size cars and the Malibu will not be in the top 5.

Is the silver car in the pictures an LS or LT? Also, does anyone know which wheels these are ( 16, 17, or 18 inch) ? If this is an LS I am impressed with these wheel options. I am starting to like the back end more and more. I like the family resembalance to the Vette. I just started as a salesman at a Chevy Cadillac dealership and everyone is so excited to get these 08's in and the hideous 07's out of here!!!!!!

Is the silver car in the pictures an LS or LT? Also, does anyone know which wheels these are ( 16, 17, or 18 inch) ? If this is an LS I am impressed with these wheel options. I am starting to like the back end more and more. I like the family resembalance to the Vette. I just started as a salesman at a Chevy Cadillac dealership and everyone is so excited to get these 08's in and the hideous 07's out of here!!!!!!

This Malibu is an LS (meaning bare bones base). Im not sure about the wheels. Chevy.com says that the LS has standard "16-inch fascia spoke painted Sterling Silver" wheels.

The wheels on this car appear to be 1LT spec. So "17-inch fascia spoke wheels with bright chrome trim".

I just noticed this. The car at the show was lacking the chrome strip that runs below the doors. Hmm.

the interior design is alright.

looks like the materials on this base version might be cheap looking.

but look at a base camry and even a new 2008 base accord and you get some nasty looking cloth and dark gray plastic too. the enterprise guy picked me up in a mazda 6 in light gray interior a few months ago that i seriously wanted to puke and poke my eyes out it was so terrible. This is bound to be an improvement.

Look at how many people bought the last gen altima when it had the horrific interior to start.

we'll see how this takes. even with the interior cost cutting I think the overall design can win some fans. It will be perceived as a big improvement overall and that's what counts. Its a fresh enough look and the v6 is credible and the price is good. Back it with a 5/100 powertrain and i think this car will launch ok.

The Aura's interior is not the best but I think in most trims and stuff it comes off as decent.

I am surprised GM just doesn't get the whole plastic quality thing yet though. The cost cutters still rule over there I guess.

A simple change in plastic spec/quality and texture/graining/gloss level and jazzing up the radio and climate controls would do a lot to bring up the overall AURA of this interior.

I'm surprised no one has whined about NAV and bluetooth yet like they do incessantly on GMI.

Edited by regfootball

Although that Malibu is a preproduction 2008 Chevy Malibu, I think the interior looks decent in that trim. The instrument panel looks nice and elegant and the controls are very well laid out. Now although it's a preproduction model I think the dash has good quality, especially in this picture.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/ii...w%202007/22.jpg

The dash's grain texture looks of good quality. I'm sure the production Chevy Malibu's interior quality will be much better.

Edited by GM786

I'm surprised no one has whined about NAV and bluetooth yet like they do incessantly on GMI.

Because most buyers in this segment don't get V6s much less navigation systems and Bluetooth. I guess there's a more rational aspect in us realizing that. Would it be nice to have both? Certainly. It would also be nice to have an 8-way passenger seat, Rainsense, EyeCue, and a price of $9,999 but it won't happen.

Saturn and Buick? Both are more necessities than in a Malibu, IMO.

I just noticed the the gauge cluster in these photos is completely different than the one at chevy.com. First of all this car is in km and chevy.com has mph. The lighting on chevy.com has more blue in it along with more silver on the inside of the gauges. The car pictured here has the numbers in white while chevy.com has them in blue. I hope chevy.com has the accurate gauge cluster ( you would think it would) but I wouldn't be surprised if they have changed it.

I just noticed the the gauge cluster in these photos is completely different than the one at chevy.com. First of all this car is in km and chevy.com has mph. The lighting on chevy.com has more blue in it along with more silver on the inside of the gauges. The car pictured here has the numbers in white while chevy.com has them in blue. I hope chevy.com has the accurate gauge cluster ( you would think it would) but I wouldn't be surprised if they have changed it.

Kilometers because its in Canada. :lol:

In each of the illustrations at the website, the guages look a little different.

This car had the same style as the "ebony cloth" interior at Chevy.com

Kilometers because its in Canada. :lol:

In each of the illustrations at the website, the guages look a little different.

This car had the same style as the "ebony cloth" interior at Chevy.com

Wow, you have a good eye. I have never heard or seen a car manufacturer change the look of the gauges based on the color combo of the interior. Do you know if it is going to stay this way on the production models? I have to say my favorite is the ebony/brick interior with those gauges. Very interesting.

The next phase of midsize sedans will have unique instrumentation and interiors. The short lived black-tie affair will be a thing of the past.

IMO, the center stack (Aura clone) and the cut-lines are the biggest offenders...fix that and maybe had some detailing to the door panels and it'd look great. So Kris or TED...what materials were soft touch in the Malibu?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/ii...w%202007/22.jpg

The dash's grain texture looks of good quality. I'm sure the production Chevy Malibu's interior quality will be much better.

Yes! Looks! until I felt it in real life, and no it will not change. That's the same thing we thought last year when we sat in the Aura for the first time, they did F**k-All with the material quality, I truly doubt they will here too.

I really like the exterior, I love it with the metal mesh grille, the plastic makes the car look cheaper. I don't like the monotone gray interior, they needed to do better there, the Accord is way better than that. From the outside it is the best car in the class, inside looks like a rental car still.

Because most buyers in this segment don't get V6s much less navigation systems and Bluetooth. I guess there's a more rational aspect in us realizing that. Would it be nice to have both? Certainly. It would also be nice to have an 8-way passenger seat, Rainsense, EyeCue, and a price of $9,999 but it won't happen.

Saturn and Buick? Both are more necessities than in a Malibu, IMO.

understand that my comment was more a swipe at the GMI geeks than it was at chevy or anything. i actually kind of agree with you.

Thats a crappy pre-production model an LS can't have 17inch chrome wheels that is what is on an LT1. This is some hacked together model for shows. Note the black mirrors. I will reserve final judgement until I see a REAL production model. Looks nice to me, I agree the gray color sucks balls.

i dislike cup holders in doors, i've kicked one with a drink in it, it was in a santa fe though in the back.

cupholders in the door exist for one reason.....the empties.

a full day shopping with the fam and you soon realize that two cupholders in each door for the empties would be super handy. if i could have 14 cupholders in a sedan i would.

Edited by regfootball

I think it looks fine...

Other than the hideous color choices...

Remember, this is preproduction, so the pieces are probably going to be off a bit.

That may be true, but no amount of good assembly hide the many cut-lines huddled around the center stack and that the center stack is ripped right out of the Aura.

Horrible decision to use black plastic side mirrors.....I am so sick and tired of the BIG 3 using these cheap ass mirrors.

And horrible seat cloth just horrible.......But a great exterior design. But man that cloth is just horrible I hate that why can't they use a nice velour cloth like all the euro/jap cars?

But again great exterior design!

Yes! Looks! until I felt it in real life, and no it will not change. That's the same thing we thought last year when we sat in the Aura for the first time, they did F**k-All with the material quality, I truly doubt they will here too.

Yes it looks of high quality for a preproduction car. And yes, the production model will chage in terms of build quality and fit and finish. You are wrong. By the way, your probably the first person I've heard complaining about the material quality of the Saturn Aura aside from the door panel arm rests. If I'm correct, GM's Saturn division fixed some of those flaws on the 08 Saturn Aura. The 08 Chevy Malibu's interior's build quality and fit and finish will improve on the actual production model.

Yes it looks of high quality for a preproduction car. And yes, the production model will chage in terms of build quality and fit and finish. You are wrong. By the way, your probably the first person I've heard complaining about the material quality of the Saturn Aura aside from the door panel arm rests. If I'm correct, GM's Saturn division fixed some of those flaws on the 08 Saturn Aura. The 08 Chevy Malibu's interior's build quality and fit and finish will improve on the actual production model.

Well then let me be the 2nd of many to complain about the Aura's cheap interior...particularly the flimsy door panels that make the Avenger's look good, and the ugly center stack design, controls that look not at all integrated, and the door panel plood/metallic plastic that doesn't quite line up with the dash.

The overall design, like the Malibu's is nice...but it lacks the details.

Both the Malibu and the Aura suffer from the blandest, most style-deprived and basic looking interior door panels.

Wheres a grab handle, or a pocket map, something to break up the dullness?

I wasn't too impressed with the Aura interior a year ago. Im not blown away with this Malibu interior this year. There is a lot of room for improvement in both cases.

Stick to it GM and keep improving!

Both the Malibu and the Aura suffer from the blandest, most style-deprived and basic looking interior door panels.

Wheres a grab handle, or a pocket map, something to break up the dullness?

I wasn't too impressed with the Aura interior a year ago. Im not blown away with this Malibu interior this year. There is a lot of room for improvement in both cases.

Stick to it GM and keep improving!

But seriously...how hard is it for GM,, Ford, and Chrysler to build a quality interior?

I mean...GM can get it right with th CTS...why not the rest of the cars?

I think it looks fine...

Other than the hideous color choices...

Remember, this is preproduction, so the pieces are probably going to be off a bit.

The pre-production excuse I thought would work with the Aura we sat in last year, like I said before, they didn't change anything, and I doubt they will change anything for this. And, no it's not fine, this interior is out-dated, poorly built, and there should be no excuse why GM can't do better. The City Jetta and City Golf are built by Mexicans and Brazilians, and for some reason, those interiors are lightyears ahead, even though they were designed in 1998. BTW, knowing you FOG, if this was an import, you'd be dissing the $h! out of it, you're saying it's fine becuase it's a GM.

But seriously...how hard is it for GM,, Ford, and Chrysler to build a quality interior?

I mean...GM can get it right with th CTS...why not the rest of the cars?

The CTS interior is comfy! However, Ted should post a video of how well some of the interior pieces are put together. The centre console lid was squeeking like on a ten year old car! :ph34r: