Would you let someone in your lane or stop to help?

Well I have a confession, when I drive now in the USA, if you own a foreign vehicle that is not badged as GM, I will not let you in my lane if you're trying to get over. Also If you drive a foreign vehicle that is not badged as GM I will not stop to help if you are broken down. Last Friday as I tooled around Spartanburg, SC, I came upon a broken down Tundra on the side of the road, I looked over at the guy, we made eye contact, I felt he wanted me to stop, but I drove on. I stuck to my new rule, no GM badge on your car, no help of any kind from me.

I'm torn on this new policy of mine because it goes against my upbringing, I'm interested in what you would do.

Would you do the same as I did, or would you stop to help him?

PCS did you happen to go by the Sherman College of Chiropractic campus, I have heard it is quite a nice campus.

I saw a Sherman College of Straight Chiropractic campus, is there a Sherman College of Gay Chiropractic campus? I actually thought about that when I saw the Straight sign! :scratchchin:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I saw a Sherman College of Straight Chiropractic campus, is there a Sherman College of Gay Chiropractic campus? I actually thought about that when I saw the Straight sign! :scratchchin:

No 'Straight' refers to straight chiropractors, those who only do hands on adjusting (no modalities/physiotherapy). Those who do mechanically assisted adjusting or modalities are called 'mixers'. My school, and my personal philosophy, is a mixer.

It is kinda a shame there isn't a gay school for chiropractors, C&G would be PRIME marketing grounds for patients.

Edited by 91z4me

No 'Straight' refers to straight chiropractors, those who only do hands on adjusting (no modalities/physiotherapy). Those who do mechanically assisted adjusting or modalities are called 'mixers'. My school, and my personal philosophy, is a mixer.

It is kinda a shame there isn't a gay school for chiropractors, C&G would be PRIME marketing grounds for patients.

Oh, well if I had a choice, I don't think I would like to be adjusted mechanically. I would much prefer the hands on treatment! :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I tend to look more at the person than anything else. The car may coming into factor if the tool is driving a riced out POS. I can automatically tell that they aren't anyone I want to meet or give a break to in traffic if you drive a car like that. That could be any make though. More than often a GM brand around here actually. I tend to watch myself in Fargo though. I like to be the small town boy who trusts everyone, but I have watch myself sometimes. In town, people can get help easily enough without me stopping so I generally don't. I try to help someone who looks like they really need it though.

Letting people in... depends on my mood, sometimes I'm super nice, sometimes it depends on if they are acting like they're going to be a dork about it or actually user their signal & act like I actually did them a small favor.

Helping people alongside the road... well, that's been on my mind from time to time. I used to stop & help whoever I might see alongside the road, and it was a really rewarding experience.

One time a guy was alongside the interstate with his old clunker (I think it was an 80s honda, dunno, it's been a while). Wanting to see if I could help him fix the car real quick, I had him turn it over so I could hear what it was doing. After it turned over a few times, oil gushed all over the ground, and I hollered at him to stop trying to start it, it wasn't going anywhere like that. I offered him a ride to where he was going, which turned out to be a 45 minute drive. I was in a really good mood & didn't need to be anywhere in particular, so off we went. Turned out he was the son of a retired foreign diplomat, and I got to hear a little bit of some of the positive things that the US has done overseas in his country (want to say it was a northern middle east country, but I don't remember).

On the other hand, safety bugs me. More recently I've stopped stopping for people alongside the interstate, because I know that most likely a police officer will be along withing probably 20 minutes, tops, and can assist the person more safely. Knowing the person should be getting the help they need in a reasonable time frame, I kinda feel I shouldn't put myself at risk of robbery or whatnot (though that's almost unheard of in Idaho from what I've heard, still...)

What kind of car they bought doesn't even cross my mind (though the condition might, but only if it makes me suspect danger.) Honestly, I don't think the kind of car the typical person buys reflects much about their character, which is the more important thing. Most people are fed so much bull that they don't know what to think, and end up just buying whatever car looks pretty or their friend said is reliable. In which case... maybe it's best to do as others above have said and pick them up & educate them on the most pretty and reliable American cars. lol

Last Friday as I tooled around Spartanburg, SC, I came upon a broken down Tundra on the side of the road, I looked over at the guy, we made eye contact, I felt he wanted me to stop, but I drove on. I

Would you do the same as I did, or would you stop to help him?

Should have tossed a Sierra brochure at him.

As a past VW owner.... always stopped to help out another VW owner no questions asked. One time a VW owner was even suprised. I said all I ask is you return the favor to the next vdub owner you see.

Now for the others ive never really been going slow enough to stop (mainly going 75 on the highway) so stopping safely with other cars around me would be questionable.

I would never stop for a Japanese car i just don't do it.

Now being in a Pontiac I'm not sure who I would stop for...

Certainly not another GTO cuz i highly doubt one will break down :lol: .... thats even if i see another one. i still have yet to see another goat on the road... :(

would i stop for a VW at this point.?.. probably not my; vw friends have already shunned me for getting a GTO. but i would most likely stop for any classic VW or car for that matter. i will always stop for an accident if need be (trained in first-aid CPR and everything) but im guessing ill stop for a pontiac now or most GM's at this point. I havent seen anyone broken down yet so i will just have to see......

but for a hot chick i will always stop... especially if shes driving a sports car haha :ohyeah:

I let people go who use there turn signals like they are supposed to, otherwise I won't.

In general, I usually do too... However... If I'm in a foul mood, I enjoy running this comment through my mind:

"The law requires the driver to use their blinker before changing lanes. The law does not require that I let them in."

I'll let people in if they use their signals... I generally, don't discriminate against brands, though if they are driving a Jeep or other Chrysler/M-B product or a BMW, I'm more inclined to let them in.. :)

I wouldn't stop on the side of the road to help a breakdown...it's too dangerous from getting hit to who knows if the person broken down is a psycho or criminal... (esp. in a country like the US where there are so many armed nutjobs).

No one has stopped for me the few times I've had a breakdown...I always take care of myself and call AAA...

I'll let people in if they use their signals... I generally, don't discriminate against brands, though if they are driving a Jeep or other Chrysler/M-B product or a BMW, I'm more inclined to let them in.. :)

I wouldn't stop on the side of the road to help a breakdown...it's too dangerous from getting hit to who knows if the person broken down is a psycho or criminal... (esp. in a country like the US where there are so many armed nutjobs).

No one has stopped for me the few times I've had a breakdown...I always take care of myself and call AAA...

As for letting people in my lane..... no ones going as fast as me.... so camino can attest the only person i let in my lane traveling back from pick the car up was a vette... two of them in fact. So i only will let a car that is as fast or faster than me in the lane. The only exception to this rule is a trucker... i respect them and the industry so anything i can do to make there job easier im always willing to help out.... including boxing traffic with them so we can continue driving at an even pace.... foregoing the BS stop and go.

Or again if its a hot chick... :rolleyes:

I drive by a complex set of rules. If I'm driving in the fast lane people are welcome to merge into the lane if they are going faster then me, an extremley rare feet. If that's not the case I'm no way no how. I respect truckers as well and am also aware of their larger blindspots so to help them out and not get smeared on the side of the road I give them leaway. I'll let someone merge in front of me in the right lane if they need to get off if they arent an ass and didnt wait for the last second. If it was a GM car I would do what I could to let them in regardless.

As for disabled vehicles I will, time permitting since I run on an extremley tight schedule usually, pull over and help it, A it's a GM vehicle which it usually isn't, B- it's an elderly person or C- if It's a mother with young children. If it's none of these three and they don't appear in immenent bodily harm tough luck I'm a busy guy and you bought a crap car.

I tend to be a little nicer to GM drivers, or other brands/cars I like.

That does not mean I'm a jerk to Toyota drivers but I am human

and I tend to dislike Toyota drivers in general.

I let people in my lane 99% of the time. If you don't let them it, someone in front of you will let them in. I've seen far too many last minute attempts at exiting the freeway, which often end up in close calls. And besides, not having one additional car in front of you saves what, 30 feet and .15 of a second?

I hate to admit it, but I do have foreign-car prejudice when it comes to letting people in... I try to fight it. It more depends on how the person acts... are they being obnoxiously over-aggressive trying to get into my lane and almost hit me? Or are they just gesturing that they'd like to enter?

As for people stuck on the roadside... all I look for is a cell phone in hand. If they have a cell, I keep going. But only time I'm on the highways is during rush hour, and we have those trucks that just drive around helping people to keep traffic moving.

PCS - you are the lowest form of excrement known to man. How can you be so callous and uncaring to your fellow man? I mean you have the nerve to post here and you should be so embarrassed of your actions that you should not even show up here any more. YOU OWE EVERYONE ON C & G AN APPOLOGY! Leaving that Toyota driver on the side of the road was just wrong!

HOW COULD YOU NOT STOP AND GET THE INSIDE SCOOP AS TO WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TURDRA? YOU SHOULD BE HERE WITH PHOTOS AND INSIGHT AS TO WHAT PART FAILED ON THE TURD! YOU SHOULD HAVE PHOTOGRAPHED THE IDIOT AND HIS P.O.S. FROM EVERY ANGLE!

THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DRIVEN OFF AND LEFT HIM! :lol: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!! :AH-HA_wink:

As for letting people in, I usually only 'guard' my space on the road if I see an idiot who is going to cut into my safety zone. Has anyone else noticed that Toyota drivers, or import drivers, seem to be without regard to basic driving rules as of late?

Has anyone else noticed that Toyota drivers, or import drivers, seem to be without regard to basic driving rules as of late?

Ever since someone in a Sentra almost rear ended me at a stop light going 60 clicks texting instead of watching my car get closer and closer...

Ever since someone in a Sentra almost rear ended me at a stop light going 60 clicks texting instead of watching my car get closer and closer...

That just happened to a buddy of mine - TOTALED his 1990 Olds Regency that was PRISTINE - guy that hit him full tilt (in the rear while stopped) was driving a new Civic Si and was trying to figure out how the iPod thingy worked. I guess he will never figure it out in that car.

PCS - you are the lowest form of excrement known to man. How can you be so callous and uncaring to your fellow man? I mean you have the nerve to post here and you should be so embarrassed of your actions that you should not even show up here any more. YOU OWE EVERYONE ON C & G AN APPOLOGY! Leaving that Toyota driver on the side of the road was just wrong!

HOW COULD YOU NOT STOP AND GET THE INSIDE SCOOP AS TO WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TURDRA? YOU SHOULD BE HERE WITH PHOTOS AND INSIGHT AS TO WHAT PART FAILED ON THE TURD! YOU SHOULD HAVE PHOTOGRAPHED THE IDIOT AND HIS P.O.S. FROM EVERY ANGLE!

THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DRIVEN OFF AND LEFT HIM! :lol: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!! :AH-HA_wink:

As for letting people in, I usually only 'guard' my space on the road if I see an idiot who is going to cut into my safety zone. Has anyone else noticed that Toyota drivers, or import drivers, seem to be without regard to basic driving rules as of late?

I can't be the lowest form of excrement known to man, the TURDRA is! :smilewide:

The ultimate stop to help

Golden Gate bridge accident averted by selfless driver

Posted Nov 29th 2007 7:58PM by John Neff

We don't particularly enjoy posting about auto accidents, as totaled cars and injured humans is never a good conversation starter. Every once in a while, though, we get an opportunity to post about a crash that didn't happen thanks to the quick thinking and selfless nature of a good samaritan. Such a near miss happened yesterday in San Francisco when a driver on the Golden Gate became unconscious and her Jeep Grand Cherokee came to a stop in the second lane from the center divide. John Beatty almost rammed his Ford F-350 into the back of the Jeep, but stopped just in time. The 50-year-old man from Mill Valley, CA then noticed the Jeep began to creep forward and to the left. Realizing it was headed towards the divide and into oncoming traffic, Beatty positioned his truck in front of the SUV so that it would hit him instead of crossing over. He then guided the Jeep across two lanes of road, which had fortunately been cleared of traffic when other drivers began to realize what Beatty was doing. Unfortunately, there is a sad ending to this story, as the unconscious driver of the Jeep eventually died at the hospital. If it hadn't been for Beatty, however, you would've heard about a fatal multi-car accident on the Golden Gate bridge last night.

The ultimate stop to help

Golden Gate bridge accident averted by selfless driver

Posted Nov 29th 2007 7:58PM by John Neff

We don't particularly enjoy posting about auto accidents, as totaled cars and injured humans is never a good conversation starter. Every once in a while, though, we get an opportunity to post about a crash that didn't happen thanks to the quick thinking and selfless nature of a good samaritan. Such a near miss happened yesterday in San Francisco when a driver on the Golden Gate became unconscious and her Jeep Grand Cherokee came to a stop in the second lane from the center divide. John Beatty almost rammed his Ford F-350 into the back of the Jeep, but stopped just in time. The 50-year-old man from Mill Valley, CA then noticed the Jeep began to creep forward and to the left. Realizing it was headed towards the divide and into oncoming traffic, Beatty positioned his truck in front of the SUV so that it would hit him instead of crossing over. He then guided the Jeep across two lanes of road, which had fortunately been cleared of traffic when other drivers began to realize what Beatty was doing. Unfortunately, there is a sad ending to this story, as the unconscious driver of the Jeep eventually died at the hospital. If it hadn't been for Beatty, however, you would've heard about a fatal multi-car accident on the Golden Gate bridge last night.

wow.... that takes guts