Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caddycruiser

Some late '08 changes for Malibu...4-cyl LTZ package, some wheels

34 posts in this topic

Looks like the 4-cyl/6-speed LTZ is finally available, and there's some wheel changes. The new:

(PDZ) 4-Cylinder Spring Package, includes (LE5) ECOTEC 2.4L engine, (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, chrome exhaust tip, (PA2) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech bright aluminum wheels and (QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...236&type=0#

So, oddly, looks like the LTZ-4 will get it's own 17" (smaller) Chrome-Tech wheels, but otherwise be the same.

Also, for 1LT's that have had the chrome face covers, seems like there's now some choice (maybe), as Chrome-Tech wheels are listed separately (but no cost) in the options lists.

Looks like the 4-cyl/6-speed LTZ is finally available, and there's some wheel changes. The new:

(PDZ) 4-Cylinder Spring Package, includes (LE5) ECOTEC 2.4L engine, (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, chrome exhaust tip, (PA2) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech bright aluminum wheels and (QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...236&type=0#

So, oddly, looks like the LTZ-4 will get it's own 17" (smaller) Chrome-Tech wheels, but otherwise be the same.

Also, for 1LT's that have had the chrome face covers, seems like there's now some choice (maybe), as Chrome-Tech wheels are listed separately (but no cost) in the options lists.

Good news... the early 1LT press cars had painted silver fascia spokes, and I greatly prefer them to the mandatory plastic chromies.

08malibu1208.jpg

I wonder what the LTZ I4's Chrome-Tech alloys look like..

Edit: Actually I think the 1LT's are still only available in chrome; it's the LS fleet HVV6 engine package that gets the silver-painted equivalent.

Looks like the manumatic control stays on the four-cylinder/six-speed, which is good news.

Edited by empowah

I wonder what the LTZ I4's Chrome-Tech alloys look like..

Edit: Actually I think the 1LT's are still only available in chrome; it's the LS fleet HVV6 engine package that gets the silver-painted equivalent.

Looks like the manumatic control stays on the four-cylinder/six-speed, which is good news.

Bingo...basically just a re-editing of the order guide, to specifically spell out chrome vs. silver for those wheels (retail vs. fleet).

Not sure what the new Chrome-Tech LTZ (i.e. chrome face) wheels look like. They should have just stayed with the same LTZ V6 wheels, but maybe it helps lower the price a little.

Curious to drive a 2.4L/6-speed model, now that we've had a 2.4L/4-speed 2LT for 2 months...

Had it been out, we probably would have bought an LTZ-4 instead, because of the full leather and 6-speed, but then again, didn't overly like the 2 interior choices, etc. in comparison to what we got with the 2LT.

hopefully this will boost sales a tad. time for another comparo with camcord6's

Egads GM is so behind-the-times with this "chrome-wheel" thing.

Chrome wheels (plastic or otherwise) are pretty much "out" now.....at least here....unless you are talking big SUVs and stuff with 22-inch tires.....but on your basic cars, nope.

Egads GM is so behind-the-times with this "chrome-wheel" thing.

Chrome wheels (plastic or otherwise) are pretty much "out" now.....at least here....unless you are talking big SUVs and stuff with 22-inch tires.....but on your basic cars, nope.

Funny you mention this, I was just recently thinking the same. Everyone has either painted or polished (anyone doing clear-coated machined these days). Chrome is definitely "out."

Agreed on the chrome...but it's not really a part of the changes here. Just the titling of chrome wheels, but the availability is the same.

That said, I still think the typical 1LT with the standard chrome faced wheels is quite a stunner...and the wheels make a big difference. Or at least it stands out more--but is still in character of the car--than the typical ugly silver hubcaps on a Camry or Accord of similar trim.

Image00002.jpg

But, regardless, doesn't matter because that hasn't changed. I just wonder what the new 17" chromies for the LTZ-4 are...and why they're any different than the 18's on the LTZ-6.

Edited by caddycruiser

Funny you mention this, I was just recently thinking the same. Everyone has either painted or polished (anyone doing clear-coated machined these days). Chrome is definitely "out."

I'm likin' more-and-more the charcoal aluminum wheels you see now, like what are available on the Corvette, and the Audi A4 with "Titanium" package. On the Audi, it works even better 'cause the chrome around the windows, on the back bumper, and the entire front end/grille is blacked out too......so the car is black, black, black, with charcoal wheels....looks good....

Agreed on the chrome...but it's not really a part of the changes here. Just the titling of chrome wheels, but the availability is the same.

That said, I still think the typical 1LT with the standard chrome faced wheels is quite a stunner...and the wheels make a big difference. Or at least it stands out more--but is still in character of the car--than the typical ugly silver hubcaps on a Camry or Accord of similar trim.

Image00002.jpg

But, regardless, doesn't matter because that hasn't changed. I just wonder what the new 17" chromies for the LTZ-4 are...and why they're any different than the 18's on the LTZ-6.

Agreed... the 17" fascia spokes, chrome or not, are definitely nicer than the 16" caps on the Camry or Accord.

Do you know what color is on that 1LT, btw? It looks good.. better than geriatric sandstone.

edit - looks like "amber bronze"

Edited by empowah

Image00002.jpg

caddy, that was the combo i admired on the lot yesterday. the LT with those wheels. REALLY nice. even like the gray interior and normally i hate gray.

malibu really is a dapper car. still 2" or more too narrow, but man, its priddy. really makes the cahmree look like a mutt. new accord too. saw an 07 accord today with the enterprise sticker on it! is honda fleeting now too?????

Edited by regfootball

caddy, that was the combo i admired on the lot yesterday. the LT with those wheels. REALLY nice. even like the gray interior and normally i hate gray.

malibu really is a dapper car. still 2" or more too narrow, but man, its priddy. really makes the cahmree look like a mutt. new accord too. saw an 07 accord today with the enterprise sticker on it! is honda fleeting now too?????

I saw an Accord EX V6 Coupe today, and it looked pretty sweet.

I like this car a lot. This is my first non-Buick I'd consider buying (that I could potentially afford).

I'm interested to see if the 6-speed improves the fuel economy any bit. Will it be thrown in the hybrid too?

I think chrome wheels are nice on some applications and I don't really see why we should limit choice.

Of course, I'm used to the chrome/polished aluminum wheels of classics too.

I LOVE anything machine faced or machined... So much so that I sold my painted wheels on my Focus (The 6 spokes) and replaced them with the same six spoke wheels, except the machined versions from one of the special edition cars.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

A LT1 with a 4-cyl, with a 6 speed, with a sunroof, please. :thumbsup:

I'm likin' more-and-more the charcoal aluminum wheels you see now, like what are available on the Corvette, and the Audi A4 with "Titanium" package. On the Audi, it works even better 'cause the chrome around the windows, on the back bumper, and the entire front end/grille is blacked out too......so the car is black, black, black, with charcoal wheels....looks good....

Good call! I remember digging that finish when they started using it for the last generation (C5?) Z06.

Good call! I remember digging that finish when they started using it for the last generation (C5?) Z06.

Yeah....me too....

In general, I'm not saying it's bad to offer a choice, I think chromes just are beginning to look tacky on a classy, mainstream midsize car like the Malibu. Used to be, you needed shiny chrome wheels to add some "sparkle" to a blandly-designed car.....not so with the Malibu.

I like those charcoal wheels, or any wheel that is machine-finished....like F.O.G said. I generally do not like painted aluminum wheels (like the standard Corvette wheel.)

Any time a styling trend becomes 'maintstream' it is over. Like a designer friend of mine said when we discovered 'stainless steel' appliances at Home Depot, 'when they start selling it, you know the trend is over."

I believe this is why the Marketing 101 boys and girls must be going crazy. There was a time when a mid-size family sedan came with an automatic, power steering and power brakes, maybe two engine choices. Now, if you can get chrome alloys, a nav system, 6 spd. and other 'high-end' toys on a sedan like an Accord or Malibu - why would anyone want to spend DOUBLE for a BMW or Audi? I mean, really - when you think about it, how do you justify the double or triple prices out there? It's not like the additional 'quality' really matters. Most of the posers that buy (actually, lease probably) new BMWs and Audis can't wait to get onto the next Big Thing, so they dump their new toy in a couple years.

Consumers need to start thinking for themselves and not getting sucked into what the marketing gurus are telling them to want.

Any time a styling trend becomes 'maintstream' it is over. Like a designer friend of mine said when we discovered 'stainless steel' appliances at Home Depot, 'when they start selling it, you know the trend is over."

I believe this is why the Marketing 101 boys and girls must be going crazy. There was a time when a mid-size family sedan came with an automatic, power steering and power brakes, maybe two engine choices. Now, if you can get chrome alloys, a nav system, 6 spd. and other 'high-end' toys on a sedan like an Accord or Malibu - why would anyone want to spend DOUBLE for a BMW or Audi? I mean, really - when you think about it, how do you justify the double or triple prices out there? It's not like the additional 'quality' really matters. Most of the posers that buy (actually, lease probably) new BMWs and Audis can't wait to get onto the next Big Thing, so they dump their new toy in a couple years.

Consumers need to start thinking for themselves and not getting sucked into what the marketing gurus are telling them to want.

Malibu/Accord =/= Audi/BMW.

The Malibu and Accord are good mass market appliances, but I wouldn't compare to premium cars from Audi or BMW...

There is nothing wrong with offering chrome wheels as an option. Just because it isn't the latest fad doesn't mean that everybody has to suffer because it isn't the latest "in" thing. It's all about choice. There are traditional buyers that may want the extra flash and elegance that chrome offers and there are those that like the plain generic monotone look that few will notice. The Malibu offers lots of choice. Chrome or plain. Bodyside moldings or no moldings. Many different interior color combinations. 3 different wheel sizes, 2 different engines and now trannys etc. More car companies need ot start offering the consumer more choices like this instead of the same ol crap that has been dished out for the past 10 years or so.

A LT1 with a 4-cyl, with a 6 speed, with a sunroof, please. :thumbsup:

Only the LTZ gets the 6-speed...

There is nothing wrong with offering chrome wheels as an option. Just because it isn't the latest fad doesn't mean that everybody has to suffer because it isn't the latest "in" thing. It's all about choice. There are traditional buyers that may want the extra flash and elegance that chrome offers and there are those that like the plain generic monotone look that few will notice. The Malibu offers lots of choice. Chrome or plain. Bodyside moldings or no moldings. Many different interior color combinations. 3 different wheel sizes, 2 different engines and now trannys etc. More car companies need ot start offering the consumer more choices like this instead of the same ol crap that has been dished out for the past 10 years or so.

But you have to be careful and not try to offer "all things" to "all people."

Every single option or choice you ad to a particular model increases your build combinations. And anyone on here that has mfr experience in that area will tell you that "build combinations" can be a HUGE cost burden to an auto manufacturer.

So you need to pick your choices you offer to a consumer very carefully. That's why Honda has, effectively, no options on their cars.......just models....DX, LX, EX, EX Nav, EX-L, EX Nav-L. They leave "options" up to dealer-installed accessories.

So....if the trend seems to be moving away from "chrome-ish" wheels, and none of your competitiors are offering them, then ditch 'em. You don't need the additional cost in your product program.

>>"...if the trend seems to be moving away from "chrome-ish" wheels, and none of your competitiors are offering them, then ditch 'em."<<

B-but... if everyone else is offering 'something else', and you then move to offer the same 'something else'... isn't that thing then 'already over' ?? :wacko:

I seldom ever...(OK: never) worry about what others may think is fashionable, I like what I like and everyone else can F-off, IMHO.

My beef is that you don't get the CHOICE to have painted silver wheels on the 1LT (or 2LT, 2LT V6, LTZ, LTZ V6). I don't mind chrome wheels on an Escalade, but the mandatory plastic ones on the 1LT look like trash bin covers, IMO.

But you have to be careful and not try to offer "all things" to "all people."

Every single option or choice you ad to a particular model increases your build combinations. And anyone on here that has mfr experience in that area will tell you that "build combinations" can be a HUGE cost burden to an auto manufacturer.

So you need to pick your choices you offer to a consumer very carefully. That's why Honda has, effectively, no options on their cars.......just models....DX, LX, EX, EX Nav, EX-L, EX Nav-L. They leave "options" up to dealer-installed accessories.

So....if the trend seems to be moving away from "chrome-ish" wheels, and none of your competitiors are offering them, then ditch 'em. You don't need the additional cost in your product program.

Well, not to mention the nightmare at the dealer level. Back in the days when dealers would stock 400+ vehicles on the lot, making people happy was easy. But now, most dealers have less than a 100 vehicles on the lot (around here anyway) and being all things to all people is impossible. I had a customer yesterday who wants 20" wheels on a Silverado 4X4 crew cab, but doesn't want leather, sunroof, etc. Dealers usually only get the 20" wheels on the LTZ, so I found him 1 non-leather seated LT Silverado in ONTARIO.

People don't understand when they are price shopping to death that there are inherent costs to sending two drivers 200 km to pick up a vehicle, re-PDIing the vehicle, worrying about scratches, dents, etc. That $1,000 gross deal can quickly turn into $500 when all those costs are factored in. So REDUCING customer choice (believe it or not) is actually a good thing. Easier for Honda when they have fewer model choices than we do, but nevertheless it is important. It is easier to blame GM by saying "it isn't available at all" than to say "it isn't available in Ontario."

Another nasty tactic I've seen is a dealer telling a customer that it is 'no problem' at getting a vehicle combination that they know damned well isn't available, getting the deposit and taking the customer out of the market. I know each state and each Province has their own consumer laws, but in Ontario, once you've signed the dotted line, the dealer has 90 days to deliver the vehicle, which is more than enough to factory order the vehicle, but no consolation to someone whose vehicle was just written off and needs a vehicle sooner rather than later.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0