Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northstar

G8 vs 550i on youtube

42 posts in this topic

lol at some of the comments.

Ehh, cross segment comparisons never work as ads. See Hyundai or Subaru.

If you want to make fun of the Germans, do something like this:

Or this

Edited by empowah

Or this

I almost pissed my pants when I first saw the C5 commercials. :lol:

That was a terrible ad. Seriously...GM just does not get it.

I kind of liked it, but those C5 ads were way better.

it's silly, kinda like that energy drink (fake) commercial. but doesn't talk about handling, if it would have included skid pad #s, it would've been better.

I like how all my comments, which are mostly factual rather than subjective, get voted down.

I like how all my comments, which are mostly factual rather than subjective, get voted down.

It is youtube after all.

yeah, its where all the people who have nothing better to do sit and argue irrelavently with people they dont know. isnt the internet great?

And why is the side-by-side of the profiles so short? The G8's is much better.

Here ya go

Pontiac_v_BMW.flv.jpg

edit: Wow that makes the 5-er's butt look droopy.

The G8 commercial could have been done much better. A comparison to a 5-series isn't wrong, they just went about it the wrong way. No scenes of the G8 driving or carving up the mountain roads. No feeling that the interior is comfortable. Nothing, just a bunch of images that evoke no feelings or any passion for a car. If anything, I would say it advertised the 5-series as much as the G8, and doesn't make me want the G8 any more.

Ehh, cross segment comparisons never work as ads. See Hyundai or Subaru.

Or this

That's some great music for a car commercial! :AH-HA_wink: The commercial didn't really make any sense, but it does a 100x better job eliciting excitement for the vehicle.

It is interesting to note the perception the posters on youtube have of the quality of German cars. The actual quality and dependability does not match that of the perceived quality, at least compared to JD Powers.

Also, it is very disturbing to see all the hate and vitriol toward American cars. Are we really that self loathing that we just can't possibly believe Americans can make a competitive product in any industry? In a way I hope we get into a pretty serious recession because unfortunately that is probably the only thing that will change buyers me first, selfish attitudes. I'm not referring specifically at buying American, but also our tendency to buy everything on shaky credit with the hope that we can pay it off some day. Of course, if you can't you can always file for bankruptcy. It may take 7 years to get your credit rating back but just think of all the highly discounted/free stuff you got prior to filing for bankruptcy! :rolleyes: I'm not sure who ever thought ARM's and interest only payments were good ideas for mortgages, but whoever it was should be shot.

I guess all you can say is, Welcome to the Walmart economy.

In todays market it does not matter to 75% of the BMW owners what their car can do at the track or in a curve. It is what it can do for them at the Mall or Resturant. It is all image today in this MTV cribs society. There not slapping on 30 inch wheels on H2's to improve the off road ability.

GM now has the cars and now needs to market their way back into having the cool got to have image. If anyonw here thinks it is going to happen over night is just fooling themselves. It will take time to prove the cars will hold up and it will take time to convince many that it is cool to own American again.

A odd as this spot is as was the latest commercial they are hitting with a younger market and the ones who set the tends. Pontiac will never be saved by those who bought FWD Grand Am's or GP's. It will take new blood.

While I don't like the marketing I think they are going in the correct direction as people like me don't need to be sold on Pontiac as I am already there. The people they need are mostly driving cars from Japan and can 't afford a new BMW but would like to have one.

The average age of YouTube posters must be around 5-6...

It's almost as if you nerd it up in Gran Turismo for three hours, you are suddenly a pro at cars...

It's almost as if you nerd it up in Gran Turismo for three hours, you are suddenly a pro at cars...

Well they do earn a license from it.

Probably a bunch of punkass teens and 20 somethings that haven't driven anything more than a Civic or Cavalier...

Could be. But hey just to be compared to a 550i must make BMW sick! :D Just like the Benz CLK 55 AMG compared to the GTO as done by MT made Benz sick! That is what they need to get the cage rattled.

A couple parts of it are funny, but I am not sure GM made that ad either, it seems too tacky. I don't like comparisons with cars that are not the same class, like Hyundai Genesis vs 7-series and A8 comparos. A Mustang GT is faster 0-60 than an $80,000 XLR and has more interior room, does that make the Mustang a better and more luxurious car?

The 550i does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, so the G8 isn't faster. The 550i has a nice twin turbo V8 and 8-speed automatic coming soon.

A couple parts of it are funny, but I am not sure GM made that ad either, it seems too tacky. I don't like comparisons with cars that are not the same class, like Hyundai Genesis vs 7-series and A8 comparos.

But the G8 is a competitor to the BMW 5, at a 3 Series price. Really, the Pontiac is just missing the 'class' that is associated with the BMW's badge.

A Mustang GT is faster 0-60 than an $80,000 XLR and has more interior room, does that make the Mustang a better and more luxurious car?

Anyone who compares a Mustang against an XLR is likely baked out of their mind.

A couple parts of it are funny, but I am not sure GM made that ad either, it seems too tacky. I don't like comparisons with cars that are not the same class, like Hyundai Genesis vs 7-series and A8 comparos. A Mustang GT is faster 0-60 than an $80,000 XLR and has more interior room, does that make the Mustang a better and more luxurious car?

The 550i does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, so the G8 isn't faster. The 550i has a nice twin turbo V8 and 8-speed automatic coming soon.

XLR vs Mustang is a ridiculous comparison; they aren't meant to do the same thing at all. Try something where at least the number of seats is the same. G8 and 550i are both meant to get you to the party in style and quickly whether the road is straight or curving and do so in comfort. G8 lacks the 550i's materials, but it's as good from a performance standpoint and better in terms of interior room. They might be going to different parties (XLR and Mustang are almost definitely going to different parties), but the way the two cars get you there is almost the same.

The Mustang GT vs XLR comparison is no worse than a G8 vs 550i comparison. BMW 550i drivers are probably not even considering cars under $55,000 let alone $33,000. The G8 is as fast as a 550i at less cost, a Mustang GT or is faster than an XLR at much less the cost. The 550i has more luxury features than an XLR or STS-V so to compare it to a car with an interior worse than the Malibu is not a valid comparison.

Interior room does not equal luxury either, otherwise the G8 is more luxurious than a CTS, plus it is faster 0-60 so I guess the G8 is better than a CTS using Pontiac logic. Pontiac should compare the G8 to the Charger, 300, Genesis, maybe a G35 sedan.

The Mustang GT vs XLR comparison is no worse than a G8 vs 550i comparison. BMW 550i drivers are probably not even considering cars under $55,000 let alone $33,000. The G8 is as fast as a 550i at less cost, a Mustang GT or is faster than an XLR at much less the cost. The 550i has more luxury features than an XLR or STS-V so to compare it to a car with an interior worse than the Malibu is not a valid comparison.

Interior room does not equal luxury either, otherwise the G8 is more luxurious than a CTS, plus it is faster 0-60 so I guess the G8 is better than a CTS using Pontiac logic. Pontiac should compare the G8 to the Charger, 300, Genesis, maybe a G35 sedan.

Don't make such a fool out of yourself. Just because you like to kiss BMW's ass doesn't mean you can't think logically.

Besides having a nicer interior, the 550i is not much different from the G8. Both have V8s, 5-pass, 4-doors, 6-speed autos, 0-60 in the low 5s, both look sporty, both handle very well. And just in case you need it more clear: both are SPORT SEDANS of similar size with similar performance.

XLR vs Mustang: Both have a V8, both have two doors. After that, there's no much similar. Mustang has 4-pass, retro looks, relatively good handling. XLR is two-pass, retractable hardtop. To make the difference clear for you: Mustang is a 2+2 that is supposed to be a daily driver for anyone from a 16-year old to a 60-year old. XLR is a weekend cruiser for the 40+ crowd with gobs of money to spend on a car. It's a car to drive up to the country club in if you want to be in style. XLR is not a daily driver at all; no one drives it in the snow.

By comparing the G8 to the 550i, they are comparing it to the Charger, 300, Genesis, G35, etc. They're showing the average Joe that the G8 compares very well to a 550i, so why should someone buy a Charger, 300, etc., over the G8? You really think Pontiac thinks they're going to get any significant number of would-be 550i buyers to buy the G8?

My dad could afford a 550i, but he doesn't like spending upwards of ~$35-40k on a vehicle. Thinks its a bad investment. However, he is interested in the G8 for his next vehicle purchase. This little infomercial isn't going to make him buy a G8 over a 550i (since he was never looking to spend $60k on a car anyways, whether he is able to afford to do so or not), but it may sell him on the fact that the G8 is really a great car if it compares very well to a BMW that costs twice as much.

But snobs will throw $20k out the window to prove they have 'arrived.' If I was going to blow $60k on a car, it would be old enough to appreciate in value, not be worth half in 3 years.

Kudos to Pontiac for daring to dream the G8 against a BMW 5-series.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0